Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30461 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2009
Fashola has stated he wants TAX PAYERS and no shanty towns ( shack houses popping up out of nowhere). If you cant afford decent homes them you cant live in lagos.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 10:06pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

Not exactly sure why the bit in bold is of any use to this argument.

But what you don't seem to get is that not all Hausas are from Kaduna . . . .Nigerians do not carry identities showing their state of origin.
You have a right to be happy with Fashola's action, but don't try to justify it under the law.

Mikeansy, whatever the case, Kaduna would be closer to their place of origin than Lagos. So lets just say it is part assistance (free of charge) in the transportation.

mikeansy:

Generally I think we need an honest debate about the Future of Nigeria.

One Nigeria should not be only when it is convenient.
We are either one or we are not. The idea that a State Government executes such an action in 21st century Nigeria tells you there is something wrong with the country itself.

Nigerians should be Nigerians, productive or not. (the talk about apples and oranges is even more shameful).

Not necessarily the case based on this incidence.

This is just an expedient approach to a severe, long-standing problem.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

Not exactly sure why the bit in bold is of any use to this argument.

Of what essence are these non-productive elements in the society?
Do u need a palmtop to decipher these messages?

But what you don't seem to get is that not all Hausas are from Kaduna . . . .Nigerians do not carry identities showing their state of origin.
You have a right to be happy with Fashola's action, but don't try to justify it under the law.

Then let them tell Fashola where they came from so the commercial buses can dump them there.
Are you saying all these beggars were born n bred in Lagos or they are suffering from selective amnesia and cannot remember their roots?

Generally I think we need an honest debate about the Future of Nigeria.
One Nigeria should not be only when it is convenient.
We are either one or we are not. The idea that a State Government executes such an action in 21st century Nigeria tells you there is something wrong with the country itself.

Boko Haram told us we are not one Nigeria when he executed Southerners(the people he considered as infidels).
Now i am not saying 2 wrongs make a right but how do you keep your State clean without stepping on toes?

Nigerians should be Nigerians, productive or not. (the talk about apples and oranges is even more shameful).

Since we don't have a working welfare system that provides for the needy. . . . .Let em be deported.
It will serve as a deterrent to the others who are still saving up to make the long distance journey to Lagos.
I am sick n tired of seeing lepers everywhere in Lagos. . . . .They should go back home.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 10:19pm On Aug 23, 2009
What you guys don't understand is that Ibrahim Shekarua and his Hisbah Army will as well have the right to round up non-indegenes in Kano and dump them wherever he likes.

Who defines the norms of any society other than the constitution? who decides what is and what is'nt acceptable? other than the constitution?

When this escalates, folks should bear withness that Fashola Started it.

No society treats its weak like Asylum seekers. Only in Nigeria can you hear folks justifying such nonsense. I know there is a good chance these folks are not even Nigerians (But so long as that has not been established they can only be assumed to be Nigerians). But so long as we continue to shy away from the truths and debates that will set things straight, we have a duty to live with the Status Quo.

WHAT FASHOLA AND THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT ARE DOING IS CRIMINAL UNDER THE LAW.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

What you guys don't understand is that Ibrahim Shekarua and his Hisbah Army will as well have the right to round up non-indegenes in Kano and dump them wherever he likes.

Who defines the norms of any society other than the constitution? who decides what is and what is'nt acceptable? other than the constitution?

No society treats its weak like Asylum seekers. Only in Nigeria can you hear folks justifying such nonsense. I know there is a good chance these folks are not even Nigerians (But so long as that has not been established they can only be assumed to be Nigerians). But so long as we continue to shy away from the truths and debates that will set things straight, we have a duty to live with the Status Quo.

WHAT FASHOLA AND THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT ARE DOING IS CRIMINAL UNDER THE LAW.

IT IS LEGAL WHAT DONT YOU UNDERSTAND
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2009
The bottom line is that we can not operate the western system in its totality in Nigeria at our current stage.

There would be occasions we would have to be expedient in our applications and this is one of them.

Even western countries like Italy, Holland, Spain, Greece(western?) etc are expedient when it comes to asylum seekers as they can not afford a planery application of the international asylum rules especially when there are those willing to abuse it from third world.

Becuase we are one Nigeria does not mean that we should hide behind this and abuse the privileges or ideals of being one.

We can not have a situation where we apply fraudulent and useless census, that benefits the North, to allocate national resources. They get more than they are due, do not utilise it as it is looted by illiterate and useless governments who cut off others hands but not theirs, do not use it to educate the populace, do not use it to set up industries.

Now when their people are destitute due to illiteracy, lack of taking polio medication offered, or through disability resulting from amputation, they then send them to Lagos to be an eyesore.

Bleep NOT!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 10:23pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

Can you pro vide any law backing it?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:24pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

But Boko Haram didn't dump em wherever he wanted. . . . .He murdered em in cold blood.
Fashola hasn't committed murder here. . . . .He simply sent back home free of charge.
Blimey. . . . Fashola should be commended.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 10:25pm On Aug 23, 2009
mikeansy:

It would be their loss, they can't!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 10:26pm On Aug 23, 2009
Why should we be having this arguement if we are really one in nigeria?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 10:27pm On Aug 23, 2009
I support fashola all the way. He should search the whole kano street / oyingbo area. I am sure they wud find more hundreds to deport. And to all the people against it when was the last time u guyz gave those beggers money?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:31pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

Can you pro vide any law backing it?

The Land Use Act of 1978 vests all lands in the hands of the Government and does not allow for the private ownership of land by individuals or corporations. According to the Act, the Governor of each state has the power to allocate urban land, and local area councils have the power to allocate rural land.
The Land Use Act makes it illegal for indigenes to allocate land without prior government approval. However, this has seldom been enforced. Hundreds of thousands of people live in these informal settlements because they do not have access to affordable housing in the formal market within a reasonable distance to their place of employment.

More than 12,000 people have been forcibly evicted from their homes in Lagos since January 2005. The most recent of these evictions occurred in April 2006 when the State Task Force on Environment demolished over 300 homes at Ogunbiyi village in Ikeja, Lagos, leaving 3,000 people homeless. Approximately 3000 residents of the slum community of Makoko were evicted in April 2005. The residents were not given prior notice of the planned evictions and were not provided with alternative housing or compensation for the destruction of their homes. The Federal Ministry of Housing and Urban Development demolished hundreds of homes in Aboru Abesan, Ikeja, rendering 6,000 people in January 2005.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:32pm On Aug 23, 2009
TOPE2000!:

I support fashola all the way. He should search the whole kano street / oyingbo area. I am sure they wud find more hundreds to deport. And to all the people against it when was the last u guyz gave those beggers money?

Hehehehe
Tope knows their base in Lagos. cheesy cheesy
Fashola needs you.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 10:35pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

The Land Use Act of 1978 vests all lands in the hands of the Government and does not allow for the private ownership of land by individuals or corporations. According to the Act, the Governor of each state has the power to allocate urban land, and local area councils have the power to allocate rural land.
The Land Use Act makes it illegal for indigenes to allocate land without prior government approval. However, this has seldom been enforced. Hundreds of thousands of people live in these informal settlements because they do not have access to affordable housing in the formal market within a reasonable distance to their place of employment.

More than 12,000 people have been forcibly evicted from their homes in Lagos since January 2005. The most recent of these evictions occurred in April 2006 when the State Task Force on Environment demolished over 300 homes at Ogunbiyi village in Ikeja, Lagos, leaving 3,000 people homeless. Approximately 3000 residents of the slum community of Makoko were evicted in April 2005. The residents were not given prior notice of the planned evictions and were not provided with alternative housing or compensation for the destruction of their homes. The Federal Ministry of Housing and Urban Development demolished hundreds of homes in Aboru Abesan, Ikeja, rendering 6,000 people in January 2005.

shocked shocked shocked

Even though our arguments might be on the same side, people that know me would know how I will respond to this if I was the one that asked you to provide proof of a law that allows a state government to deport a Nigerian from their state and you gave me this.  angry
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 10:38pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy undecided

Is this the law backing it up?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2009
Sagamite:

shocked shocked shocked

Even though our arguments might be on the same side, people that know me would know how I will respond to this if I was the one that asked you to provide proof of a law that allows a state government to deport a Nigerian from their state.  angry

They were not deported. . . . .They were evicted.
Technically, you have to expel someone from a country before the word "deportation" can be applied.
The OP was just playing with the word.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

Please what section of the constitution suggests that if you are a beggar you should be deported.

In fact the constitution says every Nigerian can live in any part of the country and practice whatever religion or culture of their choice.
It does not say Beggars are lesser Nigerians than others.

And to provide for a Constitution for the purpose of promoting the good government and welfare of all persons in our country, on the principles of freedom, equality and justice, and for the purpose of consolidating the unity of our people

That is introduction to the constitution, it did not say non beggars

41. (1) Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section shall invalidate any law that is reasonably justifiable in a democratic society-

(a) imposing restrictions on the residence or movement of any person who has committed or is reasonably suspected to have committed a criminal offence in order to prevent him from leaving Nigeria; or

(b) providing for the removal of any person from Nigeria to any other country to:-

(i) be tried outside Nigeria for any criminal offence, or

(ii) undergo imprisonment outside Nigeria in execution of the sentence of a court of law in respect of a criminal offence of which he has been found guilty:

Provided that there is reciprocal agreement between Nigeria and such other country in relation to such matter.

42. (1) A citizen of Nigeria of a particular community, ethnic group, place of origin, sex, religion or political opinion shall not, by reason only that he is such a person:-

(a) be subjected either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any executive or administrative action of the government, to disabilities or restrictions to which citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions are not made subject; or

(b) be accorded either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any such executive or administrative action, any privilege or advantage that is not accorded to citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex, religions or political opinions.

(2) No citizen of Nigeria shall be subjected to any disability or deprivation merely by reason of the circumstances of his birth.

(3) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section shall invalidate any law by reason only that the law imposes restrictions with respect to the appointment of any person to any office under the State or as a member of the armed forces of the Federation or member of the Nigeria Police Forces or to an office in the service of a body, corporate established directly by any law in force in Nigeria.

SORRY BUT FASHOLA HAS SIMPLY BROKEN THE LAW

HE WILL SOON SEND OUT A PRESS STATEMENT BY TOMORROW DENYING THIS REPORT

MARK MY WORDS!!!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:41pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy undecided

Is this the law backing it up?

its a law that backs up illegal housing further cause these migrants to beg /loiter which in return is a problem for lagos government. Jail or back to your homeland
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by TOPE20001(f): 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Hehehehe
Tope knows their base in Lagos. cheesy cheesy
Fashola needs you.
Lol, u r not serious. But i remember they said tinubu built houses for them one time but these beggers still begs for money n food and i also heard they always send their children to steal. Lol, they shud all be deported.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 10:46pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

its a law that backs up illegal housing further cause these migrants to beg /loiter which in return is a problem for lagos government. Jail or back to your homeland

my guy you are not making sense.we are not talking about illegal housing or illegal houses here.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 10:47pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

my guy you are not making sense.we are not talking about illegal housing or illegal houses here.

I bleeping wonder o!
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 10:51pm On Aug 23, 2009
I don't think this trend, no matter how much good it serves in the short term, will do the nation gtood in the long run. I mean deporting the less priviledged back to their states is only going to fuel tribal rifts which already exist in that country. I mean this is not legal and should not be encouraged. It would please me more if the state forced beggars to do community work of some sort or head elsewhere. I don't believe this is good and it certainly does NOT do us any good to pursue this practise any further.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:52pm On Aug 23, 2009
What did i say you fool

Isaid they have illegal houses which are demolished leaving them to beg on the street and loiter. Loitering is illegal and one can be sent to jail.

so fashola is being nice by not sending them to jail and sending them where they came from
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by babapupa: 10:53pm On Aug 23, 2009

Afaukwu-

As mentioned, there are thousands of Yoruba outside Yorubland doing roadside or buka food selling, Okada and kabukabu among other . These are lowly businesses, no doubt. Now, Fasola, in his wisdom, determined who is a beggar in Lagos. In like manner, the North can also determine who is a beggar and an unwanted element in their midst. You only need to go to the North and see the Yoruba population there.

I know you're intelligent enough to spot the difference between productive and not productive endeavors.   Lowly and menial stuff contributes to the society and are not dependent on the state or general populace for survival like beggers.

Try make sense sometimes,
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 10:54pm On Aug 23, 2009
IF YOU ARE HOMELESS WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

THE STREETS

WHAT DO YOU DO?

LOITER

IS IT A CRIME?

YES
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Kobojunkie: 10:56pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

IF YOU ARE HOMELESS WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

THE STREETS

WHAT DO YOU DO?

LOITER

IS IT A CRIME?

YES

Even Criminals are NOT DEPORTED back to their states unless the law allows for that. When it comes to dealing with criminals, no state wants criminals dropped off at it's own doors just cause another state wants to Play nice by not sending them to jail to serve whatever punishment awaits them there.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by redsun(m): 10:57pm On Aug 23, 2009
The country is naturally and gradually disintegrating.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 10:57pm On Aug 23, 2009
''One big backlash of this is that Fashola can never dream of ruling Nigeria. No northerner will vote for him, and rightly so too. As we know, northern votes, rigged or not, makes a big difference. But again, everyone must not rule Nigeria''.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 10:58pm On Aug 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

What did i say you fool

Isaid they have illegal houses which are demolished leaving them to beg on the street and [b]loiter.[/b] Loitering is illegal and one can be sent to jail.

so fashola is being nice by not sending them to jail and sending them where they came from

There is no need cursing if you are not sure of what you are saying.So because 'their illegal' houses were demolished that is why they are on the street begging  undecided

Are you even conversant with lagos and nigeria as a whole to make this assertion  

So all the beggars in other parts of nigeria do so out of 'their demolished houses'?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 10:59pm On Aug 23, 2009
Afaukwu:

''One big backlash of this is that Fashola can never dream of ruling Nigeria. No northerner will vote for him, and rightly so to. As we know, northern votes, rigged or not, makes a big difference. But again, everyone must not rule Nigeria''.

We don't care if Fashola becomes a President or not.
The task at hand is to rid Lagos of these undesirable elements and i am 110% of this idea.
All vagrants should be sent back to their states of origin.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 11:00pm On Aug 23, 2009
asha 80:

There is no need cursing if you are not sure of what you are saying.So because 'their illegal' houses were demolished that is why they are on the street begging  undecided

Are you even conversant with lagos and nigeria as a whole to make this assertion  

So all the beggars in other parts of nigeria do so out of 'their demolished houses'?

obviously they are the ones who set up shanty towns which are illegal

stop asking stupid question
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by pcicero(m): 11:01pm On Aug 23, 2009
The fear of boko haram is the beginning of wisdom. grin grin grin Since some have posited here that we could not be sure that they were all from Kaduna, so i think when then get to Kaduna, they will be sorted out.
No hypocrisy, what Fashola has been doing in Lagos cuts across every tribe. The Yoruba/ Igbo traders, landlords etc have paid one sacrifice or the other. We all can see what the guy is doing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

PHOTO: Celebrating A Policewoman With A Difference / Umahi: We Don’t Want Fulani Herdsmen To Leave Our Land / Buhari’s Plans For Niger Delta, Militants — Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.