Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (30458 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / PHOTOS: Beggers In Front Of National Mosque When Buhari Came To Pray / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by naliakar: 12:21am On Aug 24, 2009
Beaf:

Abi Fashola has joined MEND?  grin
Lagos don declare war sha.
Trouble with his decision is that it is directed against the innocent. Would have been right if it were targeting thieves, robbers and corrupt officials who abound in droves in Lagos. May be we should start asking all Yoruba beggars in the east to go back to the West too.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:21am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

A street full of agberos and 50 naira ashewos
Your family owns a street  or they named a street after the toughest gangster that migrated from Ekiti
abeg make we hear word.
In a land of the blind,whet did they say about the one -eyed?

U are not making any sense. . . . I am shocked you know how much ashawos charge in Lagos.
I am suspecting you used to be one of them until one HIV-infected Caucasian hauled your ass to London to give you a life.
Those are by the way. . . . . .Mallams should put up or Bleep off from Lagos.

sjeezy8:

shocked shocked yeh i didn't say they should shot ohhh lol maybe just a little beating back to the north ya kno lol

Fashola should start issuing Lagos work permits for Non-Lagosians.

We are quick to condemn NEPA and other service providers in Lagos but letz be honest. . . .they cannot cope with the population.
Transformers blow at the speed of light. . . . .nothing works in Lagos because the resources cannot go round and serve everyone.
The Population of Lagos is more than most West African countries so something has to give.
Let the unproductive Mallams leave Lagos then we would know what we have left.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:21am On Aug 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

Yoruba peps? Everyone of them is Lagosion. Hahahaha! I met one Tunde here and when asked he says he is from Lagos. Eventually we became friends and later I realized he is from Osun.

ARE THESE IGBOS BLIND DIDN'T THE ARTICLE SAY THEY DEPORTED YORUBAS TOO
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:22am On Aug 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

They are blind. . . . . .One of the reasons they are used as lab rats in the North.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Beaf: 12:23am On Aug 24, 2009
@Oyinda

Nobody will deport criminals and beggers to Lagos. Its all going to be machiavellian. The few things that will be visible will be; the North carrying out revenge through party politics and big shots from Lagos losing out nationally; all sorts of screws being turned to cut Fashola down to size by those in power.

There are also only going to be a few strong words from a weak FG.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:24am On Aug 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

Yoruba peps? Everyone of them is Lagosion. Hahahaha! I met one Tunde here and when asked he says he is from Lagos. Eventually we became friends and later I realized he is from Osun.

Yes o
even the Ogundipes, the ogunnaike's ,Fatoki ,the Osunlajas and the Ogunselus
They are all Lagosians
ROFL
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 12:25am On Aug 24, 2009
oyinda.:

guys think about this. what if other states start "evicting" their criminals to lagos and other states?
I think fashola is setting a disastrous trend here

an ethnic clash might even occur as a result of this. I don't think fashola thougth things thoroughly before making that step he made.

That is not a problem. Evict them.

oyinda.:

you can make the same argument for lagos state!
if u study economics u kno that the less beggars on the street the less competition for the few that remain there so more ppl will join to become beggars (more money for them) the govt will have to be carrying out this "eviction" process over and over again and that's wasting lagos tax money and govt time too! i don't think the transportation cost is free for the driver of the truck either.
it makes no sense.

grin grin grin

No, sweetheart.

You beg if you are destitude or nurtured to beg, not because it is an economic growth industry.

So believe me, it will not grow or create billionaires. grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 24, 2009
~Sauron~:

They are blind. . . . . .One of the reasons they are used as lab rats in the North.

You are not serious.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 12:25am On Aug 24, 2009
Sagamite:

Because they are an eyesore, unproductive, a problem mainly created by northern leaders who get more resources on average than southern leaders and they can do better if they engage in a productive activity in the north like farming instead of the easy and nurtured option of begging.

Some where recently sent to Ibadan

I am not a tribalist, I am a realist and I think this is perfectly expedient, without being cruel, in a country that lacks resources.

All northerners are welcome in Lagos if they have something to do, even as a maigard.

Even some beggars are OK, but not the volume we have at the moment.

I doubt this will lead to ethnic clashes.

Northerners are proud people when they feel attacked and are likely to respond by acting to ensure these people have catered for so they (northerners) are not embarassed like this in future.

If it happened in the East, it might have been trouble but it happened in the West.

of course major cities will always attract people from all states. that is the same with most other countries even in the western world. and it's part of the normal disadvantages to a big city.
what would you think if america deported all the black ghetto people to nigeria? they are an eyesore and unproductive for the west not so?
or if they sent them packing from other major cities to the south missisippi and what not?

to me those that were sent to ibadan are just an excuse. fashola isn't all that stupid. he has to do something for people not to jump on his back for being tribalistic.

and of course aren't most northerners in lagos doing something like maigard, shoemaker, aboki etc?
and you saying "some volume of beggars ok" makes it clear that you know this isn't right and very unconstitutional.  

lol at it won't lead to ethnic clashes. i don't mean burning mosques and churches and all that. just worse ethnic tension between hausas and yorubas in general. yorubas have mainained a somewhat neutral position in all these ethnic brouhaha so far but this is just bound to turn things around and can serve as a fuel or wood to a bigger fire that might arise later on. because i don't think they will forget this (even if they do cater for the beggars that have been sent to them).
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 12:26am On Aug 24, 2009
Babapupa,

Have the crooks down west rehabilitated their people? Have you read of the hordes of Yoruba almajiri in Yorubaland? Hypocrit

Yoruba Cities Littered with Homeless Beggars, all Children and Women
Daily Independent, Hakeem Jamiu

Assume that the Yoruba culture is good and progressive. Assume that the Yoruba elders are wise and peace-loving. Assume that the Yoruba people are the most educated in Africa and that they received the most useful education any other group can ever dream of. These are the assumptions and beliefs of every Yoruba man. Now, given that the same Yoruba people managed Nigeria from 1999 to 2007, I ask you: Are these assumptions consistent with the results of Yoruba eight years of leadership in Nigeria? In other words, what did the Yoruba culture, people, and elders produce for the Yoruba masses in their eight years of sound and fury as the most “civilized” tribe in the African continent? For these assumptions to be true and valid, Yoruba states and cities will reflect positive changes in positive directions concerning the lives and behaviors of the Yoruba citizens therein. States such as Osun, Oyo, Ogun, and Ekiti, and cities such as Ibadan, Lagos, and Ayetoro Ekiti, the collective center of Yoruba “civilization”, will show good signs of happy Yoruba men, women, and children living their lives according to the results of the eight years of Yoruba “wise” leadership in Nigeria. Clearly, these assumptions are absurd because Yoruba culture produces useless animals and educated idiots who understand nothing about health, education, law and order, road maintenance, and administration of elections and public services. If you are still in doubt, read about the present conditions in the city of Ibadan, occupied and managed by 100% Yoruba people.

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his dath has led to the profilration of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work,  In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:27am On Aug 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

and that makes it right?
A man whose own fathers migrated from some state deports a man from Osun state to Ibadan and that is OK.
It is not a crime to use your commonsense and denounce evil when you see it.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by MadMax1(f): 12:28am On Aug 24, 2009
Tough one. The beggars are Nigerians, and there’s no such thing as ‘affording’ Lagos like it’s the presidential suite at the Ritz. Every city has rich, poor, beggars, hustlers, and everything in between. Those beggars have every right to be in Lagos; if it’s against the law to panhandle, they should be notified and anyone who breaks that gets his ass hauled in jail or some other thing.

But the problem is, everyone’s angry with the North. They keep getting away with murder. They move about unmolested in the South, but maul other Nigerians in their states, who have every right to be there,  and hide their hostility behind religion. Every year, they do this, and yet freely beg or go about shouting ‘dolla, poun’’ in other parts of the country and no one harasses them. They won’t educate their kids, their governors won’t allow babies to be vaccinated, and they freely export their diseased behinds to other parts of the country. They’re a nuisance to themselves and a headache to the rest of the country.

If their fellow Nigerians pay in blood for living in their states, they deserve a bit of payback, out of nothing but very satisfying spite. And not just beggars: indigenes of every Northern state hostile to other tribes shouldn’t be allowed in those other tribe’s territories. Not as a permanent thing, but just so they learn the meaning of the word, ‘consequences’. They go rampaging and killing innocent Nigerians and no one is ever brought to book.  Won se gbe niyen. Not saying those beggars should take the blame for it, not saying but Fashola was right in expelling them like so much vermin, but dang, it feels good to hear it.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 12:28am On Aug 24, 2009
This is gradually turning into tribal mudslinging.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:28am On Aug 24, 2009
naliakar:

Trouble with his decision is that it is directed against the innocent. Would have been right if it were targeting thieves, robbers and corrupt officials who abound in droves in Lagos. May be we should start asking all Yoruba beggars in the east to go back to the West too.

Please drive all the Yoruba beggars back to the West.
We need em to sweep 3rd mainland bridge and clean the dirty gutters left by the leprous Mallams.

stillwater:

You are not serious.

I am serious o. . . . .How people can fault what Fashola has done beats me.
Why are so many Nigerians functioning on a single digit IQ?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by naijaway(m): 12:29am On Aug 24, 2009
words like deportation, non-nationals have "no say" in Lagos state or any state in Nigeria regardless of tribe. Fashola should have taken the high road and emphasised passionately to the poulace of Lagos state, to the Federal govt, to other state govt, and even to the beggers themselves. Since there's no law against beggers and since he didn't inform them before his actions and he didn't build any place for them or even discourage their actions he should re-accept them back. Many of those peoples' kids were born in Lagos if we are trying to be technical and have a right to be Lagosians if there's anything like that and if the people feel like that. People are saying he have deported some people to Oyo state as if there's any justification to prooving their real identity. What if many of these people are real lagosians? but don't speak english or pidgin.  What will be the next action in defining Lagos state? I don't know, u don't know? and Fashola can't tell; so that's the more reason he needs to slow down his action because he can't man all the borders of Lagos and all motor parks in Lagos state and above all  Lagos like any other state belongs to Nigerians.
  I have always been an advocate for a credible identification. ID, i believe that the tribal invisible walls should be broken (including the ezes, sheiks, emirs, obas, egbas, or watever) and people should be empowered with rights to reside anywhere of their choice but with respect to personal and sensitive properties.
One question tho. How many labanese will fashola deport? and will he get approved by the Federal govt or out of mere instincts?
Fashola is an admirable governor but needs to watch himself for stuffs like this and I think he has ended his chances of being a president in Nigeria without cheating resulting in him not being credible. He's an okay statesman and I hope God guides him in his decisions and judgement.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 12:29am On Aug 24, 2009
@Oyinda

Nobody will deport criminals and beggers to Lagos. Its all going to be machiavellian. The few things that will be visible will be; the North carrying out revenge through party politics and big shots from Lagos losing out nationally; all sorts of screws being turned to cut Fashola down to size by those in power.

There are also only going to be a few strong words from a weak FG.

either way lagos loses out. plus evicting the poorer people won't stop more poor people from coming into the state. it's called equilibrium. most cities always have their fair share of poor people. especially ones in africa.
evicting them will cause more to come in, and also cause others to hate the state, the cost for evicting this people isn't free either. so what has lagos gained in the process?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sagamite(m): 12:30am On Aug 24, 2009
Kobojunkie:
Roflmao!!! You really do not know much about Nigerian beggars, do you?? Roflmao!!!

Oh come on!! Only 5 or 10? We are talking of folks who likely go home for holidays and then head back to continue afterwards.

Constant eviction and fear of it by the state government will still mean they would lose revenue for each return journey and it would not allow them to be able to forecast or project likely revenues for the year as the eviction would be random.

They would most likely like a steady and undisturbed life and likely head for a place like Kano.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:31am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

and that makes it right?
A man whose own fathers migrated from some state deports a man from Osun state to Ibadan and that is OK.
It is not a crime to use your commonsense and denounce evil when you see it.

OK we'll ask dem where dey come from and deport their asses back

and there are original lagosians like fashola, tinubu, pedros,hernandez etc those are the people who have been in lagos before migrants came since 1800's

They just excepted the hard working outsiders
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:31am On Aug 24, 2009
Mad_Max:

Tough one. The beggars are Nigerians, and there’s no such thing as ‘affording’ Lagos like it’s the presidential suite at the Ritz. Every city has rich, poor, beggars, hustlers, and everything in between. Those beggars have every right to be in Lagos; if it’s against the law to panhandle, they should be notified and anyone who breaks that gets his ass hauled in jail or some other thing.
But the problem is, everyone’s angry with the North. They keep getting away with murder. They move about unmolested in the South, but maul other Nigerians in their states, who have every right to be there,  and hide their hostility behind religion. Every year, they do this, and yet freely beg or go about shouting ‘dolla, poun’’ in other parts of the country and no one harasses them. They won’t educate their kids, their governors won’t allow babies to be vaccinated, and they freely export their diseased behinds to other parts of the country. They’re a nuisance to themselves and a headache to the rest of the country.

Gbam!!
Even Jesus told his disciples that the poor will always be with them.
Poverty cannot be eradicated.
The man is a joker
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:32am On Aug 24, 2009
naijaway:

Fashola is an admirable governor but needs to watch himself for stuffs like this and I think he has ended his chances of being a president in Nigeria without cheating resulting in him not being credible. He's an okay statesman and I hope God guides him in his decisions and judgement.                                      

Don't put the cart before the horse. . . .
Fashola has not told anyone he wants to be President. . . .  .Presidency is not the be all of everything.
Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are not ex-Presidents but they command more respect than OBJ or fuckever idiot that has ruled Nigeria.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Nobody: 12:33am On Aug 24, 2009
becomrich.:

Now why is fashola deporting people. Do you know why?

because his maps and satlite pics are bigger than yours grin grin grin
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 12:33am On Aug 24, 2009
i am satisfied as long as other beggars in other states are deported. finally, people should be allowed to control their resources and let us see how lagos will not produce beggars when oil money is finished.
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:34am On Aug 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

Babapupa,

Have the crooks down west rehabilitated their people? Have you read of the hordes of Yoruba almajiri in Yorubaland? Hypocrit

Yoruba Cities Littered with Homeless Beggars, all Children and Women
Daily Independent, Hakeem Jamiu

Assume that the Yoruba culture is good and progressive. Assume that the Yoruba elders are wise and peace-loving. Assume that the Yoruba people are the most educated in Africa and that they received the most useful education any other group can ever dream of. These are the assumptions and beliefs of every Yoruba man. Now, given that the same Yoruba people managed Nigeria from 1999 to 2007, I ask you: Are these assumptions consistent with the results of Yoruba eight years of leadership in Nigeria? In other words, what did the Yoruba culture, people, and elders produce for the Yoruba masses in their eight years of sound and fury as the most “civilized” tribe in the African continent? For these assumptions to be true and valid, Yoruba states and cities will reflect positive changes in positive directions concerning the lives and behaviors of the Yoruba citizens therein. States such as Osun, Oyo, Ogun, and Ekiti, and cities such as Ibadan, Lagos, and Ayetoro Ekiti, the collective center of Yoruba “civilization”, will show good signs of happy Yoruba men, women, and children living their lives according to the results of the eight years of Yoruba “wise” leadership in Nigeria. Clearly, these assumptions are absurd because Yoruba culture produces useless animals and educated idiots who understand nothing about health, education, law and order, road maintenance, and administration of elections and public services. If you are still in doubt, read about the present conditions in the city of Ibadan, occupied and managed by 100% Yoruba people.

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his dath has led to the profilration of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work,  In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.

Maybe the governor of those ststes should deport those beggars to their hamlets grin
Since a woman is now expected to watch her children die of hunger rather than beg since there are no alternatives in that God forsaken polace
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:34am On Aug 24, 2009
$osisi:

Gbam!!
Even Jesus told his disciples that the poor will always be with them.
Poverty cannot be eradicated.
The man is a joker

it cant but we can send it away, this is fashola not Jesus
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by oyinda3(f): 12:34am On Aug 24, 2009
No, sweetheart.

You beg if you are destitude or nurtured to beg, not because it is an economic growth industry.

So believe me, it will not grow or create billionaires. Grin

so you think that if there were 500 beggars and 480 of them were evited, the 20 left won't be making more money than if there were still 500?
and you think others who are poor won't be encouraged to join in to supplement their income?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by asha80(m): 12:35am On Aug 24, 2009
sjeezy8:

OK we'll ask dem where dey come from and deport their asses back

and there are original lagosians like fashola, tinubu, pedros,hernandez etc those are the people who have been in lagos before migrants came since 1800's

They just excepted the hard working outsiders

Is tinubu not from Osun?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:35am On Aug 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

i am satisfied as long as other beggars in other states are deported. finally, people should be allowed to control their resources and let us see how lagos will not produce beggars when oil money is finished.

What Isale Eko local government generate in revenue is more than all the Eastern states put together.
Oil money in Lagos? Lagos the commercial nerve centre of Africa?
Are u educated at all?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 12:36am On Aug 24, 2009
tinubu himself is from ilorin originally (i mean his lineage). that has been over-flogged. i will search for the post
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Sauron1: 12:36am On Aug 24, 2009
Afaukwu:

tinubu himself is from ilorin originally (i mean his lineage). that has been over-flogged. i will search for the post

Schwarzenegger is from Austria. . . .Whatz the big deal?
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sjeezy8: 12:37am On Aug 24, 2009
asha 80:

Is tinubu not from Osun?

you are very stupid
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by sosisi(f): 12:37am On Aug 24, 2009
asha 80:

Is tinubu not from Osun?

Fashola is not from Lagos state either
Re: Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers by Afaukwu: 12:37am On Aug 24, 2009
SAURON,

I REPEAT LET LAGOS, WHICH DOES NOT PRODUCE ANY OIL, STOP COLLECTING OIL ALLOCATION AND LETS SEE HOW FAR IT SURVIVES. PLUS ALL THOSE REVENUE ARE COMING FROM YORUBA PEOPLE IN LAGOS? YOUR BOASTING IS AT BEST VACUOS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (31) (Reply)

Ezekwesili Reacts To Buhari's Request To World Bank To Focus On Northern Nigeria / Construction Of St Gabriel Oil Refinery In Akwa Ibom State (pictures) / Lessons In Biden’s Appointments Of Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.