Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? (18711 Views)

Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k / Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by mamawin(f): 12:32pm On May 31, 2016
in my own opinion, I feel you should be thinking of expanding that tutoring of a thing, what about opening a school? don't think yourself too young, I missed that opportunity. the N70k job where you can be fired anytime? you can be whatever you want to be, think about it
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Optimist1(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2016
Dude, to be frank, nobody wants to work under someone and to be controlled. More especially the innovative ones, and I sight you as being one of us.

The only thing I can tell you is to instigate you to move on with you creative idea - if you are passionate about.

I don't have to say much but with the little I have made my contribution. And with the ones my co-nairalanders have been able to convince you, I do believe that in few years to come you will testify.

Believe in God, believe in yourself and it will come to pass.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Rinato(m): 12:35pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:
Good morning nairalander. I am kind of confused about taking an office job or continue with my private lecture which I started a year ago.

After youth services, I scramble the nooks and crammy of Benin and Lagos looking for an office job but to no avail. All application letters written to organisations didn't yield any positive result as I waited for invite like a woman waiting to deliver her baby. I initially taught it was my CV, so I gave it to a professional to help me edit, still no good organisations called me for an invite even with a sound result from a science discipline. The little money from NYSC was also getting exhausted. I began to think the way forward.

After about three month without getting any positive reply from organisations, I just decided to forget about applying for both online and offline jobs because it was depressing. I decided to find something I can do to fetch me income. After presenting my request to God, in a dream God told me you have something to fetch you income, use your brain. I began to think until the revelation became clear.

Since I reside in GRA where the rich men and women reside, I did a flex which is very attractive for the service of a home tutor in mathematics, physics, chemistry and Technical Drawing and scattered it around big schools and strategic locations within GRA Environ. I began to pray and wait for calls.

Two weeks later, I got a call from a woman for my service to prepare her son for WAEC and JAMB examination . After negotiations we concluded at 30k. After that another client called and we concluded at 25k. Just like that until I got about five lectures ranging between 90 to 110k per month. I was so happy and I later caved a niche for myself two moths later. Sometimes I can boast of saving 50k or more per month. I then stop applying for jobs because there was no time anymore except on few occasions...

Six moths later, I got a call from ABC company requesting me to come for an interview. I went for the interview and performed very well. The HR were smiling as i levelled all their questions with ease and even gave them classical illustrations. The moment came for salary negotiation and they asked, how much should we pay you? I said 100k and above. They started laughing and I told them that's what I can accept with confidence. They told me their payment for fresh graduate is 60k. I told them I can't accept 60k, that my input to the company will be worth more than 60k. They told me that's all they can offer, then I boldly stood up, thank them for the interview and left their presence. A week later, I was called from the CEO himself to come to the company. He told me he heard how I refused a salary of 60k. He conducted a personal interview for me and I performed very well this time even without preparation. He told me he will add 10k to the initial 60k offered to me adding up to 70k. I told him I can't accept because what I do earn me more. He persuaded me and I told him I will get back to him after three days, that he should give me some time to make up my mind. He accepted and I left for my daily home teaching.

Once I accept the offer, I can't even take a single private lecture again because the company operate from 8am to 6pm from monday to Saturdays. I won't have time for myself again the way I used to as a home tutor. I was even planing to set up a lecture centre but with the job, I can't do it anymore. The home lecture is stressful and tiring but I'm just happy doing it because I get positive results from students and parents. The company is also a place I can build my career to a certain level but it will just imprisoned my life which I don't like as a hustling guy.

Nairalander what will you do if you happen to be in my shoe.

Little do you know you are a boss of your own right now. I can't believe you are even considering letting that go because of a token that is not as much as what you get from your home lessons. I live in Benin too and trust me bro. If I can just get one of those things you mention I am made ! So a piece of advise bro. Stick with what you have right now. Save enough and make it a habit. You ll have you ll choose your times not some boss choosing for you. Trust me it may b stressful but no other job out there is less stressful. PEACE !
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by dipotepede(m): 12:37pm On May 31, 2016
Hi Op,

I am a teacher entrepreneur like you though my target market is the working professionals.

The problem you have is the problem you will always have no matter the decision you take; unless you sort it out NOW.

Your issue is double-mindedness

Even while being an entrepreneur, you still wish to work in the office setting AND when you decide to decide to work in the office setting, you will always wish to be an entrepreneur.

You need to burn the bridge when you make a decision!

I was fortunate to have worked with Access Bank and Globacom before venturing into entrepreneurship.

I struggled as entrepreneur because I did not burn the bridge to corporate work; my double-mindedness slowed my progress.

I still gazed at job opportunities and applied to different companies.

Then I got an offer that totally opened my eyes in an international company. The salary and benefit was more than what I earned monthly in net income as an entrepreneur but at that moment, I saw my mistake - I realized so many opportunities I did not see because of di-vision.

I rejected the offer based on time and too many traveling engagement.

The day I decided to let my eyes be single as an entrepreneur was the day my life totally changed. I now earn in a month what I would have earned in a year in this company.

You can google Dipo Tepede

If you choose entrepreneurship, you need to know many things:

1. Surround yourselves with entrepreneurs NOT corporate professionals

2. Choose a mentor to follow. You must STAN this mentor. The mentor does not need to know you. My teacher mentor is Pastor Poju Oyemade.

3. Expand your mind by investing in traveling outside the country with a purpose - short courses, training, etc.

4. Go to conferences and socialize with fellow entrepreneurs.

5. This is the most important thing, make a covenant with GOD concerning your business

This list is not exhaustive but I will update as it comes to mind....

1 Like

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by sorepco(m): 12:37pm On May 31, 2016
Since u ve passion for teaching stay with it. It migyt even get to a point where u r earning 200.000 to 300.000 per month! Through word of mouth from the parents..you can even surpass it.

butanep post=4h 6128692:

Wow. I am very impressed with your comment. It gave me a whole lot of factors to pounder on. Your analysis was very classic.

I have passion for teaching very well. All my students do pass their exams and do very well in school. That's the more reason parents recommend me to other rich parents that need the service of a home tutor. I still have my time doing other things. I plan to venture into a business related to teaching.

I really don't know what my task will be in the company but I applied for a supervisor. I will have to do my research about the company growth profile and ask one one two staff about the structure and staff growth.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Toroze(m): 12:37pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Hmmmmm. I have actually taught about it. My friends are persuading me to take the office job but I still remain resilient because I know what I get from it.
You did something before you ventured into the lecture business you prayed and he answered do the same. Weigh the cons and the pros of both jobs and pick whichever one has the best advantages and don't look at the present and how both jobs would affect you now but look at how they will affect your future. smiley smiley
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by djkaycee001(m): 12:47pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Wow. I am very impressed with your comment. It gave me a whole lot of factors to pounder on. Your analysis was very classic.

I have passion for teaching very well. All my students do pass their exams and do very well in school. That's the more reason parents recommend me to other rich parents that need the service of a home tutor. I still have my time doing other things. I plan to venture into a business related to teaching.

I really don't know what my task will be in the company but I applied for a supervisor. I will have to do my research about the company growth profile and ask one one two staff about the structure and staff growth.
As in seriously, you have made your decision already. But if the comany decide to pay you
What you ask for.. So tell us what are you going
To do to ur Home lecture, a business u create out
Of passion for teaching..
And you are making the parents of ur student Happy!!! With imply to more students for you to teach and more MONEY for you..
What u need right now, is broda or sista that have
The same trust and passion as you do with this your teaching thing..
So that you can create your own empire.smiley.
What matters in Life is how you make people feel
And what you give to them in a positive way to find
Your own JOY.smiley. In it comes ur wealth.smiley.
But its not as easy as have written it here.smiley.
You have to stand firm, which you are doing already
Wish you all the best while you decide on that
Wonderful path you. Would take.. Ciao.smiley.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 12:50pm On May 31, 2016
Thread saved. I can't buy the words of wisdom here.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by sorepco(m): 12:54pm On May 31, 2016
U even give away some jobs?? U r blessed and you dont know. Thise with bum bum dont know how to shiddon down!!!
Person wey get boil for bum bum go know wetin i mean.....

butanep:

Where you you reside because there are some I don't accept because of the pay? I do give out to people that are likewise good in the profession.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by icyblue(f): 12:57pm On May 31, 2016
my advice for u is to stick to what u r doing presently.....save and build dat lecture center u want to set up,employ teachers nd organise lessons for waec and jamb in dat center instead of going 4rom home 2 home to ease d stress and get better money be4 u know u will become a successful entrepreneur and employer of labour.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 1:00pm On May 31, 2016
dipotepede:
Hi Op,

I am a teacher entrepreneur like you though my target market is the working professionals.

The problem you have is the problem you will always have no matter the decision you take; unless you sort it out NOW.

Your issue is double-mindedness

Even while being an entrepreneur, you still wish to work in the office setting AND when you decide to decide to work in the office setting, you will always wish to be an entrepreneur.

You need to burn the bridge when you make a decision!

I was fortunate to have worked with Access Bank and Globacom before venturing into entrepreneurship.

I struggled as entrepreneur because I did not burn the bridge to corporate work; my double-mindedness slowed my progress.

I still gazed at job opportunities and applied to different companies.

Then I got an offer that totally opened my eyes in an international company. The salary and benefit was more than what I earned monthly in net income as an entrepreneur but at that moment, I saw my mistake - I realized so many opportunities I did not see because of di-vision.

I rejected the offer based on time and too many traveling engagement.

The day I decided to let my eyes be single as an entrepreneur was the day my life totally changed. I now earn in a month what I would have earned in a year in this company.

You can google Dipo Tepede

If you choose entrepreneurship, you need to know many things:

1. Surround yourselves with entrepreneurs NOT corporate professionals

2. Choose a mentor to follow. You must STAN this mentor. The mentor does not need to know you. My teacher mentor is Pastor Poju Oyemade.

3. Expand your mind by investing in traveling outside the country with a purpose - short courses, training, etc.

4. Go to conferences and socialize with fellow entrepreneurs.

5. This is the most important thing, make a covenant with GOD concerning your business

This list is not exhaustive but I will update as it comes to mind....

Wow... This is really an inspiration. thank you sire.

I will appreciate if we can be friends. I need someone that can really ignite the fire in me.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by jayriginal: 1:00pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Hmmmmm. I have actually taught about it. My friends are persuading me to take the office job but I still remain resilient because I know what I get from it.

Carry on with your teaching. Use your savings to invest in a business. You could even consider renting a small room and harmonizing your schedule so that your pupils come for lectures at the same time.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 1:04pm On May 31, 2016
Optimist1:
Dude, to be frank, nobody wants to work under someone and to be controlled. More especially the innovative ones, and I sight you as being one of us.

The only thing I can tell you is to instigate you to move on with you creative idea - if you are passionate about.

I don't have to say much but with the little I have made my contribution. And with the ones my co-nairalanders have been able to convince you, I do believe that in few years to come you will testify.

Believe in God, believe in yourself and it will come to pass.

I am really inspired. Nairaland is the seat of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 1:36pm On May 31, 2016
mamawin:
in my own opinion, I feel you should be thinking of expanding that tutoring of a thing, what about opening a school? don't think yourself too young, I missed that opportunity. the N70k job where you can be fired anytime? you can be whatever you want to be, think about it

Noted. Will work expand my horizon.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Armstrong34(m): 1:52pm On May 31, 2016
macaranta:

You need more business education.So what happens when all his jamb students pass their exams ?So you'll advice he decline a job that although starting at 70k has growth potentials.Picture him at 40 going from house to house teaching the same stuff he learnt when he was 20.Grow up boy nobody said you can't finance a business from a 9-5. Job.
.don't b myopic bro... dats d difference btw entrepreneur n employee..... employee sees impossibilities and a world of I can't do it......bro der would always b a NEED of tutors service
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Sacramento4real(m): 2:01pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Nice one, bro.Am into home tutoring also. I teach in a private secondary school and I tell you the cumulative amount of my home funds dwarfs that of my monthly salary. Sometimes, why other of my colleagues at work are looking forward to receiving their monthly salary, I don't even think of it. I think why mine is a bit stressful to me is because I teach in a school also, and the students if school where I teach makes up the bulk of my p
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Sacramento4real(m): 2:04pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Nice one, bro.Am into home tutoring also. I teach in a private secondary school and I tell you the cumulative amount of my home funds dwarfs that of my monthly salary. Sometimes, why other of my colleagues at work are looking forward to receiving their monthly salary, I don't even think of it. I think why mine is a bit stressful to me is because I teach in a school also, and the students of the school where I teach makes up the bulk of my private lesson students . sometimes, I even have to turn down some offers, it's really not about the money.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 31, 2016
take the office job, why? because the students you teach are not always constant, during examination period you can make above 100k, but how do you cope during holidays to some extent, the office job provides a platform to build your CV, Career, etc. it enables you acquire interpersonal skills and ability to work with a team.

You need to gather vital experience to improve yourself, not just giving out knowledge and not well compensated.

Finally, I must recommend your efforts, it's not easy to teach and impacting knowledge to students is the best legacy. thanks.

1 Like

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by biggie73(m): 2:16pm On May 31, 2016
That's what government implied when she said we should be self-employed. Continue with your tutoring. You should not take less than what your tutoring offers. All the best.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by macjireh: 2:24pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

if I were u, I will open a lecture centre with it, but if u are still tempted to go 4d job, no problem.

I also stay in Benin, u can give me d lecturing job leme take over from u
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 31, 2016
Brother, like most people here telling you, nothing pass doing what you have passion for. The decision is your but based on what you wrote, I'd say stick to the tutoring.

Here is a real life story.

While I wrote junior waec in the 90s, my mom used to be a principal of a school. Then, there comes this man telling my mother he wants to use the school for after school tutoring (lesson as its called then) for students. My mom allowed him and to my advantage I joined the lesson (FOC) because that was a school holidays. (I attended boarding school) Through out that year until I wrote the junior waec, we werent upto 4-5 in class then but I still continued anyways until I wrote the junior waec. While I was preparing for the senior waec, I came back but couldnt believe what I saw. Marmot crowd, such that if you are 10 mins late, you will stand until the end of the classes. My mom allowed him some portion of the school for the classes and every time, the classes were always filled. Of course he employed other tutors/teacher. CRK/Physisc/Chemistry/maths/Govt/English, you name it. The English teacher was so good that when I went back to boarding school after the hols, I taught my close friends how to do English summary.
The reason I wrote this is, to think that this same man started with just 4 to 5 of us then and now owns the BEST private school in his village plus the lesson is still thriving until today. Thats exactly what could happen when you follow your passion my brother. Do I have to mention the monetary gains, this same man bought a new car, married a new wife plus built a bungalow house. Also, one of the teachers/tutors he employed lived in our compound (Mr Uzoma), to the best of my knowledge he was a full time employ of the man. Though a naija used car, he bought a car too, married a new wife too.

So brother you decide. Whatever you decide, goodluck to you.

1 Like

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by jjblues(m): 2:26pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Brother with the rate of what u achieved so far shows you already have good job at hand & I can assure you that if you are focus u will achieve what we salary earners cannot monthly. You can expand yr horizon. God has already answered yr prayers.

There are many things you will dream of when you are studying ,and it may differ from what you will face after studies.
You already stated building entreprenual sprit. If u fine other opportunities on what u are doing, then incorporate them gradually. U will be amazed & be happy with urself. But If you see another greater opportunity you can explore.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by 2sexycom(m): 2:32pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

I do have client that will sum up to 180k sometimes but I just can't divide myself. I can't be everywhere.
that is why you need to recruit MORE hands and take a percentage of the fees pays. At this point, yours is to market and advertise your service and get people to do the dirty job. That way, you can be everywhere without being there and earn MORE, even big corp outsource some of their services and still get a cut of the fees paid. Cheers brother.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by adebrightayo(f): 2:40pm On May 31, 2016
Can we av private chat?
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by tabithababy(f): 3:07pm On May 31, 2016
Oga OP, please just face your tutoring work, save more with time you can become the owner of a school. cheesy.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by boma95(f): 3:15pm On May 31, 2016
Just do what makes you happy... What will give you satisfaction at the end of the day... Don't be too hasty with your decision...
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by evelynakin: 3:25pm On May 31, 2016
PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, CONTINUE UR HOME TUTORING AND BUILD AN EMPIRE FROM THERE. FOLLOW UR DREAMS AND PASSION. OF COURSE, EXCEPT IF U TAKE UP THE JOB U CAN COMBINE TUTORING WHICH I KNOW ITS NOT POSSIBLE
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 3:38pm On May 31, 2016
Sacramento4real:

Nice one, bro.Am into home tutoring also. I teach in a private secondary school and I tell you the cumulative amount of my home funds dwarfs that of my monthly salary. Sometimes, why other of my colleagues at work are looking forward to receiving their monthly salary, I don't even think of it. I think why mine is a bit stressful to me is because I teach in a school also, and the students of the school where I teach makes up the bulk of my private lesson students . sometimes, I even have to turn down some offers, it's really not about the money.

Hmmm... Good one. we are partners in business. School take more of your time and pay you peanut. It actually hinder private classes considering the time they close. I have taugh in schools before but I resign to full nuture my tutoring and it's gaining ground.

Where do you reside? Let's see if we can build a team to project something greater.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 3:40pm On May 31, 2016
adebrightayo:
Can we av private chat?
sure.

My whatsapp contact is 08156885244.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 3:43pm On May 31, 2016
PIPnator:
Brother, like most people here telling you, nothing pass doing what you have passion for. The decision is your but based on what you wrote, I'd say stick to the tutoring.

Here is a real life story.

While I wrote junior waec in the 90s, my mom used to be a principal of a school. Then, there comes this man telling my mother he wants to use the school for after school tutoring (lesson as its called then) for students. My mom allowed him and to my advantage I joined the lesson (FOC) because that was a school holidays. (I attended boarding school) Through out that year until I wrote the junior waec, we werent upto 4-5 in class then but I still continued anyways until I wrote the junior waec. While I was preparing for the senior waec, I came back but couldnt believe what I saw. Marmot crowd, such that if you are 10 mins late, you will stand until the end of the classes. My mom allowed him some portion of the school for the classes and every time, the classes were always filled. Of course he employed other tutors/teacher. CRK/Physisc/Chemistry/maths/Govt/English, you name it. The English teacher was so good that when I went back to boarding school after the hols, I taught my close friends how to do English summary.
The reason I wrote this is, to think that this same man started with just 4 to 5 of us then and now owns the BEST private school in his village plus the lesson is still thriving until today. Thats exactly what could happen when you follow your passion my brother. Do I have to mention the monetary gains, this same man bought a new car, married a new wife plus built a bungalow house. Also, one of the teachers/tutors he employed lived in our compound (Mr Uzoma), to the best of my knowledge he was a full time employ of the man. Though a naija used car, he bought a car too, married a new wife too.

So brother you decide. Whatever you decide, goodluck to you.

Thank you sire. I am inspired.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 3:44pm On May 31, 2016
macjireh:

if I were u, I will open a lecture centre with it, but if u are still tempted to go 4d job, no problem.

I also stay in Benin, u can give me d lecturing job leme take over from u

You are very funny man.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Mypeople2(m): 3:59pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

My guy home teaching will not last.How long do u think they will be paying you that 90-110k ?How long?Take the job....there is a big room for improvement in all ramifications.. Don't forget the company job adds to your years of experience .My guy, start with the 70k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Faith Omoniye Lesley, Nigerian Female Welder (Photos) / Nigerian Doctor Doctor Narrates Trouble They Face To Get Their N40K Salary / I Was Part Of Retrenched Staffs In 2 Good Jobs Within One Year 2015. (god Why?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.