Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? (18710 Views)

Adenuga's Globacom Sacks 90 Married Female Staff - LasgidiOnline.com.ng / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k / Head Office Vs Branch Office: Where Do You Prefer To Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by MOJJ(f): 4:04pm On May 31, 2016
Man you have done the best for yourself to think outside the box.oh boy nothing is left inside that box,forget working for any company.Be focus,and plan to employ the employable that can also give you result,trust you will be happy you took that bold step#100k per month!!!
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by odimbannamdi(m): 4:24pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:
Good morning nairalander. I am kind of confused about taking an office job or continue with my private lecture which I started a year ago.

After youth services, I scramble the nooks and crammy of Benin and Lagos looking for an office job but to no avail. All application letters written to organisations didn't yield any positive result as I waited for invite like a woman waiting to deliver her baby. I initially taught it was my CV, so I gave it to a professional to help me edit, still no good organisations called me for an invite even with a sound result from a science discipline. The little money from NYSC was also getting exhausted. I began to think the way forward.

After about three month without getting any positive reply from organisations, I just decided to forget about applying for both online and offline jobs because it was depressing. I decided to find something I can do to fetch me income. After presenting my request to God, in a dream God told me you have something to fetch you income, use your brain. I began to think until the revelation became clear.

Since I reside in GRA where the rich men and women reside, I did a flex which is very attractive for the service of a home tutor in mathematics, physics, chemistry and Technical Drawing and scattered it around big schools and strategic locations within GRA Environ. I began to pray and wait for calls.

Two weeks later, I got a call from a woman for my service to prepare her son for WAEC and JAMB examination . After negotiations we concluded at 30k. After that another client called and we concluded at 25k. Just like that until I got about five lectures ranging between 90 to 110k per month. I was so happy and I later caved a niche for myself two moths later. Sometimes I can boast of saving 50k or more per month. I then stop applying for jobs because there was no time anymore except on few occasions...

Six moths later, I got a call from ABC company requesting me to come for an interview. I went for the interview and performed very well. The HR were smiling as i levelled all their questions with ease and even gave them classical illustrations. The moment came for salary negotiation and they asked, how much should we pay you? I said 100k and above. They started laughing and I told them that's what I can accept with confidence. They told me their payment for fresh graduate is 60k. I told them I can't accept 60k, that my input to the company will be worth more than 60k. They told me that's all they can offer, then I boldly stood up, thank them for the interview and left their presence. A week later, I was called from the CEO himself to come to the company. He told me he heard how I refused a salary of 60k. He conducted a personal interview for me and I performed very well this time even without preparation. He told me he will add 10k to the initial 60k offered to me adding up to 70k. I told him I can't accept because what I do earn me more. He persuaded me and I told him I will get back to him after three days, that he should give me some time to make up my mind. He accepted and I left for my daily home teaching.

Once I accept the offer, I can't even take a single private lecture again because the company operate from 8am to 6pm from monday to Saturdays. I won't have time for myself again the way I used to as a home tutor. I was even planing to set up a lecture centre but with the job, I can't do it anymore. The home lecture is stressful and tiring but I'm just happy doing it because I get positive results from students and parents. The company is also a place I can build my career to a certain level but it will just imprisoned my life which I don't like as a hustling guy.

Nairalander what will you do if you happen to be in my shoe.

This is one of the most interesting experience I have read in a long time. It shows that God is still alive.

Let me help you compare the pros and and finally drop my suggestion:

As a private tutor,
1. You already earn much more than the company is offering you
2. Even though it is tiring like you said, at least you are your boss and can decide on your rest and free time. its all about pre-informing your students of your unavailability at certain times
3. Since most of your students' parents are financially buoyant and probably connected like I perceive, you are likely to hit a big cash or very good job through them very very soon
4. Teaching, over time, makes you extremely good in the subjects and experience. With these 2 qualities, you can easily land a job in an international school with a large pay and connections at your disposal
5. Establishing your lecturing center , in the long run, will be an established business for you.

Working with ABC
1. Depending on your job role, you are most likely going to work within a cool environment where it will be more of mental exertion than talking like you do in tutoring
2. Like you said, you would be building your professional portfolio
3. Since you have already proved your mettle with your prospective superiors, it would be a short while before you rise to an enviable position and your salary would run into several 6figures. ABC is a big company
4. You are most likely going to meet with important personalities that will shapen your mental acuity and thinking process

Now, since the boss himself is interested in you, this is the time to present your chips. Intimate him on your present tutoring business, letting him know how much it fetches you monthly with proofs if possible. Let him know how illogical it would be for you to leave your tutoring business for a job that offers far less and consumes more of your time.

Finally, insist on him paying your the 100,000 or he reduces your work time to 3pm and exclude Saturdays for you, so that you can have time for your teaching hustle to make up for the short fall of 30k in their proposed salary. If he agrees to this, ensure your offer letter reflects these conditions

Employers love to bend prospective employees to do their wish. I see no reason why you shouldn't that to then when you have the chance.

Please keep us posted.

2 Likes

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by macjireh: 4:36pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

You are very funny man.
every body says I'm funny. maybe I should go and become a comedian sef..

but jokes apart, will like to work with u
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by souljaboi51(m): 4:49pm On May 31, 2016
Stick to your home teaching with the possibility of expanding in the future. But you really need to address your English. All the best
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 4:52pm On May 31, 2016
Mypeople2:
My guy home teaching will not last.How long do u think they will be paying you that 90-110k ?How long?Take the job....there is a big room for improvement in all ramifications.. Don't forget the company job adds to your years of experience .My guy, start with the 70k

Hmmmm...

Thanks... have you also considered how long I will keep receiving 70k. That's the money I save for the month sometimes after deducting house rent, feeding and other miscellaneous expenses.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 4:56pm On May 31, 2016
souljaboi51:
Stick to your home teaching with the possibility of expanding in the future. But you really need to address your English. All the best

Noted. Will work on it.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 5:21pm On May 31, 2016
odimbannamdi:

This is one of the most interesting experience I have read in a long time. It shows that God is still alive.

Let me help you compare the pros and and finally drop my suggestion:

As a private tutor,
1. You already earn much more than the company is offering you
2. Even though it is tiring like you said, at least you are your boss and can decide on your rest and free time. its all about pre-informing your students of your unavailability at certain times
3. Since most of your students' parents are financially buoyant and probably connected like I perceive, you are likely to hit a big cash or very good job through them very very soon
4. Teaching, over time, makes you extremely good in the subjects and experience. With these 2 qualities, you can easily land a job in an international school with a large pay and connections at your disposal
5. Establishing your lecturing center , in the long run, will be an established business for you.

Working with ABC
1. Depending on your job role, you are most likely going to work within a cool environment where it will be more of mental exertion than talking like you do in tutoring
2. Like you said, you would be building your professional portfolio
3. Since you have already proved your mettle with your prospective superiors, it would be a short while before you rise to an enviable position and your salary would run into several 6figures. ABC is a big company
4. You are most likely going to meet with important personalities that will shapen your mental acuity and thinking process

Now, since the boss himself is interested in you, this is the time to present your chips. Intimate him on your present tutoring business, letting him know how much it fetches you monthly with proofs if possible. Let him know how illogical it would be for you to leave your tutoring business for a job that offers far less and consumes more of your time.

Finally, insist on him paying your the 100,000 or he reduces your work time to 3pm and exclude Saturdays for you, so that you can have time for your teaching hustle to make up for the short fall of 30k in their proposed salary. If he agrees to this, ensure your offer letter reflects these conditions

Employers love to bend prospective employees to do their wish. I see no reason why you shouldn't that to then when you have the chance.

Please keep us posted.

Wow. This is great and very inspiring. I really appreciate your time invested in composing this piece. I really gained a lot from it. It's an eye opener for my future plans.

I will send you a PM so I can know you better. I will like to discuss personally with you. I just need people with great mind this period, so we can share ideas and see possibilities of breaking new ground.

I will meet with the CEO in two days time. I think I have to condition him the way you said but if he didn't accept, I will have no option than to face the tutoring and brainstorm on possible ways of making an enterprise from it.

What I need now is to pray and open my heart and ears to God Almighty.

Once again thank you.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Eve62(f): 5:25pm On May 31, 2016
Crispels:

Am a student from the best University in Nigeria. I study History and International Studies. Am in my second year. Presently, am faced with a puzzle. Firstly, am a student politician/unionist/leader. I currently serve as the General Secretary of my Faculty. A position I took as the youngest in the History of my institution. Based on my track records, leadership qualities and innovative ideas, the Students' populace are urging me to test the waters of Students' Union leadership. However, am contemplating pulling out of Campus politics so as to explore other opportunities as an undergraduate. These opportunities includes - Taostmaters international programmes and certificates, debates, conferences, lectures etc. For instance, I will be a delegate at an upcoming United Nations programme. Am a decent 2'1 student, and I thirst to study harder to increase my CGPA that has dwindled as a result of my participation in campus politics. Campus politics consumes lots of money, time and energy. And even when you emerge, it brings about more stress and problems to face.

In terms of money, am okay, I lack no basic needs as am not even into campus politics for money but for the life lessons one learns from it. In terms of connection, am closer to my VC than even some SUG representatives as he loves the ideas I bring on board.

In summary, I want to focus more on my studies and seal my 2'1. I also want to explore other aspects of international opportunities like Toastmasters international, UN models, conferences, debates , improved scholarship et al.

More so, I already received a certificate of honour from the University authorities for my leadership qualities and contributions.

However, I believe am a born leader, filled with ideas and I evidently can serve the Student populace the best way possible. I see myself as a missing link. What is neeeded.

I can't combine the two, one has to step down for the other.

I plan to proceed to the United States for my postgraduate after my degree in Nigeria.

Your advice?

This happens to be the biggest decision of my life.

*yawns* bros abeg I no understand. Can u summarize so DAT I can get ur gist?
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 5:26pm On May 31, 2016
macjireh:

every body says I'm funny. maybe I should go and become a comedian sef..

but jokes apart, will like to work with u

Send me a PM let's talk privately.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Sacramento4real(m): 5:30pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Hmmm... Good one. we are partners in business. School take more of your time and pay you peanut. It actually hinder private classes considering the time they close. I have taugh in schools before but I resign to full nuture my tutoring and it's gaining ground.

Where do you reside? Let's see if we can build a team to project something greater.
I reside in sapele, delta state.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Agu87(m): 5:58pm On May 31, 2016
As for me;d bigger d pay,d better,company job is not secure.stick to teach and move ur ministry to permanent site.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by orisaoko: 6:03pm On May 31, 2016
I had similar experience some years back afree my NYSC. Well, I made close to 400k every month (had a student paying 150/m) tutoring students arounds VI and Lekki.

Try to get a teaching job in secondary school and combine it with your private tutoring. You may be fortunate to secure a teaching job that will be paying you between 30-50k per month.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by girl4rmspace(f): 6:17pm On May 31, 2016
Eve62:
I dey com make I finish my eba.
do you have lots of meat in the soup? If so i wanna join you o
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by LuckyLadolce(m): 7:12pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:
Good morning nairalander. I am kind of confused about taking an office job or continue with my private lecture which I started a year ago.

After youth services, I scramble the nooks and crammy of Benin and Lagos looking for an office job but to no avail. All application letters written to organisations didn't yield any positive result as I waited for invite like a woman waiting to deliver her baby. I initially taught it was my CV, so I gave it to a professional to help me edit, still no good organisations called me for an invite even with a sound result from a science discipline. The little money from NYSC was also getting exhausted. I began to think the way forward.

After about three month without getting any positive reply from organisations, I just decided to forget about applying for both online and offline jobs because it was depressing. I decided to find something I can do to fetch me income. After presenting my request to God, in a dream God told me you have something to fetch you income, use your brain. I began to think until the revelation became clear.

Since I reside in GRA where the rich men and women reside, I did a flex which is very attractive for the service of a home tutor in mathematics, physics, chemistry and Technical Drawing and scattered it around big schools and strategic locations within GRA Environ. I began to pray and wait for calls.

Two weeks later, I got a call from a woman for my service to prepare her son for WAEC and JAMB examination . After negotiations we concluded at 30k. After that another client called and we concluded at 25k. Just like that until I got about five lectures ranging between 90 to 110k per month. I was so happy and I later caved a niche for myself two moths later. Sometimes I can boast of saving 50k or more per month. I then stop applying for jobs because there was no time anymore except on few occasions...

Six moths later, I got a call from ABC company requesting me to come for an interview. I went for the interview and performed very well. The HR were smiling as i levelled all their questions with ease and even gave them classical illustrations. The moment came for salary negotiation and they asked, how much should we pay you? I said 100k and above. They started laughing and I told them that's what I can accept with confidence. They told me their payment for fresh graduate is 60k. I told them I can't accept 60k, that my input to the company will be worth more than 60k. They told me that's all they can offer, then I boldly stood up, thank them for the interview and left their presence. A week later, I was called from the CEO himself to come to the company. He told me he heard how I refused a salary of 60k. He conducted a personal interview for me and I performed very well this time even without preparation. He told me he will add 10k to the initial 60k offered to me adding up to 70k. I told him I can't accept because what I do earn me more. He persuaded me and I told him I will get back to him after three days, that he should give me some time to make up my mind. He accepted and I left for my daily home teaching.

Once I accept the offer, I can't even take a single private lecture again because the company operate from 8am to 6pm from monday to Saturdays. I won't have time for myself again the way I used to as a home tutor. I was even planing to set up a lecture centre but with the job, I can't do it anymore. The home lecture is stressful and tiring but I'm just happy doing it because I get positive results from students and parents. The company is also a place I can build my career to a certain level but it will just imprisoned my life which I don't like as a hustling guy.

bro, office job kills talent. With what you put up there, no doubt you've got talent. My advice for you... Establish yourself on this lecturing job, invite brilliant guys like you who are jobless to join you, let's your lecturing job also go electronic like having a website where you, your co-lecturers, your students can interact. Bro i see you growing faster in this lecturing than for you to go and imprisoned yourself in an organization and before you know, they've taken all your times away from you. This is the time to make use of your intellects to better your life and people around you. May God be with you.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by duduade: 8:49pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Hmmmm...

Do you want to join my team?

Hmmmm. Lemme pm you
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 9:38pm On May 31, 2016
duduade:

Hmmmm. Lemme pm you

No p.

We will talk better.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by detagabriel(m): 9:40pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Pls...I stay in GRA benin city..i just pm u...pls respond
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 9:45pm On May 31, 2016
LuckyLadolce:
bro, office job kills talent. With what you put up there, no doubt you've got talent. My advice for you... Establish yourself on this lecturing job, invite brilliant guys like you who are jobless to join you, let's your lecturing job also go electronic like having a website where you, your co-lecturers, your students can interact. Bro i see you growing faster in this lecturing than for you to go and imprisoned yourself in an organization and before you know, they've taken all your times away from you. This is the time to make use of your intellects to better your life and people around you. May God be with you.

Thank you sire. I will put it into consideration.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by sniper77(m): 10:14pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

I will advise you continue as a home tutor. It's not because you make more money than what ABC has to offer. The truth is you have liberated yourself from the Labour market . I see no reason why you should subject yourself to accepting an offer with ABC when you are happy as a home tutor. It's your boat you can row it in the direction that you like.
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by LuckyLadolce(m): 11:05pm On May 31, 2016
butanep:

Thank you sire. I will put it into consideration.
you're most welcome
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 11:13pm On May 31, 2016
Sacramento4real:

I reside in sapele, delta state.

Kind of far...
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by odimbannamdi(m): 1:36am On Jun 01, 2016
butanep:

Wow. This is great and very inspiring. I really appreciate your time invested in composing this piece. I really gained a lot from it. It's an eye opener for my future plans.

I will send you a PM so I can know you better. I will like to discuss personally with you. I just need people with great mind this period, so we can share ideas and see possibilities of breaking new ground.

I will meet with the CEO in two days time. I think I have to condition him the way you said but if he didn't accept, I will have no option than to face the tutoring and brainstorm on possible ways of making an enterprise from it.

What I need now is to pray and open my heart and ears to God Almighty.

Once again thank you.

Nairaland has been indispensable in the growth of key aspects of my life, so i see no reason why i shouldnt give back my quota by assisting her members in whatever capacity i can.

i wish you all the best
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by butanep(m): 6:06am On Jun 01, 2016
odimbannamdi:

Nairaland has been indispensable in the growth of key aspects of my life, so i see no reason why i shouldnt give back my quota by assisting her members in whatever capacity i can.

i wish you all the best

Thanks
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Eve62(f): 6:58am On Jun 01, 2016
girl4rmspace:

do you have lots of meat in the soup? If so i wanna join you o

wink
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 01, 2016
bassette:
*develop/acquire*

Large dick?

Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Donald3d(m): 9:43pm On Jun 01, 2016
jideniceguy:

Please can I get this too? I'm plannin to start a biz of my own as well. Thanks
kindly send a text or call, 08182346055
Re: An Office Job Of 70K Or Home Lecture Between 90- 110k. Which Will You Prefer? by Slingshotz(m): 1:40am On Jun 05, 2016
butanep:

Thank you sire.

You are welcome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Meet Faith Omoniye Lesley, Nigerian Female Welder (Photos) / Nigerian Doctor Doctor Narrates Trouble They Face To Get Their N40K Salary / I Was Part Of Retrenched Staffs In 2 Good Jobs Within One Year 2015. (god Why?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.