Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? (14913 Views)

How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? / Dear Employer, Have You Seen Neymar New Salary Breakdown? – Nigerian / Most Loved, Two Official Cars, Then Mysteriously Asked To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2016
Good day,

I would appreciate the input of experienced HR personnel in analysing this issue of forced resignation.

What are the implications in terms of renumerational difference when compared to being scaked?

In terms of looking for anither job what truly is the difference between a sack and a resignation.

I work with one of the top organisations who laid off staff over the past couple of weeks.

My immediate boss was fired as well and was later asked to resign albeit a forced resignation.

He resigned with the impression that the resignation will look better on his CV than a sack.

I am of the opinion the organisation took this step to reduce their financial obligation.

Kindly advise on the best decision to take if faced with such a dilemna.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by kowema(f): 8:36pm On Jun 05, 2016
Giving you the opportunity the resign in a case where you services are no longer needed is actually a favour..

It's not about money but long term. Imagine working in a company and getting sacked after 5 Years.
Referencing that company in your Cv might be a hard decision and if you don't, It becomes five long years unaccounted for. Asking you to resign is giving you the opportunity to go out there and say You left and then you find a reason to give your interviewer

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
kowema:
Giving you the opportunity the resign in a case where you services are no longer needed is actually a favour..

It's not about money but long term. Imagine working in a company and getting sacked after 5 Years.
Referencing that company in your Cv might be a hard decision and if you don't, It becomes five long years unaccounted for. Asking you to resign is giving you the opportunity to go out there and say You left and then you find a reason to give your interviewer
op, she said it all.

15 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 05, 2016
Treasuredlove:
op, she said it all.
Ofcourse thats the sentiment employers pull over employees eyes.

However, we need to know from an authoritative source how much the firm is saving if you resign rather than they sacking you.

Atleast it will make for objectivity and I insist, the firm is likely trying to cut their severance wage bill.

lalasticlala mynd44 seun whats ur take ?

9 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Donkaz(m): 9:12pm On Jun 05, 2016
ehm...
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by sucobaba(m): 11:00pm On Jun 05, 2016
Its a WIN-WIN situation for both parties.

Resignation looks good and presentable on the CV of the sacked.

Less severance package for the firm to pay.

However, the firm might have been advised by their lawyers to retract on the basis of a soft landing without any court cases if they noticed a contractual loophole which the sacked worker might explore .

Either which way, they ain't just doing the sacked worker a favor.....they themselves have something(s) to gain.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 12:53am On Jun 06, 2016
Guitarlife:

Ofcourse thats the sentiment employers pull over employees eyes.

However, we need to know from an authoritative source how much the firm is saving if you resign rather than they sacking you.

Atleast it will make for objectivity and I insist, the firm is likely trying to cut their severance wage bill.

lalasticlala mynd44 seun whats ur take ?
the firm is saving more than money, it is saving your career. They have the right to sack an employee if they feel he is not what they need at that moment but being sacked no matter the reason never looks good on your CV or for interviews. Giving an employee a chance to resign is a huge favor and for referral purpose, the employee would be better off leaving without a fight. Its unfair, we know, but its just how it is

7 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by SaiBuharii: 6:55am On Jun 06, 2016
If you are sacked, no reference. If you resign, there is reference. This is Somthing to ask ur neighbor. Not nairaland.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by ikbnice(m): 6:55am On Jun 06, 2016
More or less like parting by mutual concept.

1 Like

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by kokomilala(m): 6:55am On Jun 06, 2016
No, if you do, no severance pay for you.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 6:55am On Jun 06, 2016
No, afterall must he include them in his cv and how sure is he, if puts them as a reference in his cv that they would actually say good things about him. Take ur money and move on. But if you love peace just go and resign

3 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by VocalWalls: 6:56am On Jun 06, 2016
Depends on what's on ground.

Getting fired could put him in the position of certain benefits.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Elcapo(m): 6:56am On Jun 06, 2016
For what again
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by dadaha: 6:57am On Jun 06, 2016
Yes
There are benefits of the resignation : recommendation and payment of pending remuneration/severance pay
cool
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 6:57am On Jun 06, 2016
If you be a Zombie no advice for you but G.N.Die .... but if you be a wailer, its a pity bro, just go back and resign.
Buharri has destroyed many homes angry

5 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by MyParadise(m): 6:57am On Jun 06, 2016
resigning looks fair
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by VocalWalls: 6:58am On Jun 06, 2016
Treasuredlove:
the firm is saving more than money, it is saving your career. They have the right to sack an employee if they feel he is not what they need at that moment but being sacked no matter the reason never looks good on your CV or for interviews. Giving an employee a chance to resign is a huge favor and for referral purpose, the employee would be better off leaving without a fight. Its unfair, we know, but its just how it is

Baba, they might have the right to lay off, but he also deserves his severance package.

Who resignation letter help?

He needs his package to move on. Every other employer out there will be reasonable to understand he was laid off due to the economic meltdown, not because he committed a crime.

12 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by menstrualpad: 6:59am On Jun 06, 2016
Find out what the company stands to gain. We know what you are going to gain.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by nastyesco(m): 6:59am On Jun 06, 2016
If u don't have any other option...just return to resign
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 6:59am On Jun 06, 2016
Guitarlife:
Good day,

I would appreciate the input of experienced HR personnel in analysing this issue of forced resignation.

What are the implications in terms of renumerational difference when compared to being scaked?

In terms of looking for anither job what truly is the difference between a sack and a resignation.

I work with one of the top organisations who laid off staff over the past couple of weeks.

My immediate boss was fired as well and was later asked to resign albeit a forced resignation.

He resigned with the impression that the resignation will look better on his CV than a sack.

I am of the opinion the organisation took this step to reduce their financial obligation.

Kindly advise on the best decision to take if faced with such a dilemna.

Sack is different from being laid off. If you were laid off (for Eg. Due to the economy or lack of business), that is where you get the maximum remuneration. So if you were called back to resign after being laid off, then yes, they want to reduce the money they pay as you get much less when you resign.

Sack however is usually for some sort of disciplinary action (Eg. After fighting or stealing) and you get paid nothing whatsoever. This also tarnishes your cv. So if you were called back to resign after being sacked, then they are doing you a favor..

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by passionate88: 7:00am On Jun 06, 2016
No. He shouldn't resign. There might be severance package
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Exponental(m): 7:00am On Jun 06, 2016
Go...
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 06, 2016
kowema:

You must always reference a company, regardless of whether they sacked you or not.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by ehisdan(m): 7:02am On Jun 06, 2016
The employer must be a very good person. For him/her to have asked the employee to come and resign shows the employee must have done something he/she can not bear any more but wouldn't want to let ythe employee go empty handed. May God bless the employer.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by MrCounselor: 7:02am On Jun 06, 2016
Methinks writing a resignation letter is way better for his/her CV than straight firing.
The manager probably thinks of the good time they've had before.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by patani(m): 7:04am On Jun 06, 2016
Please speak to a labor lawyer...Nairaland is not the best to get advise.,....
I know a colleague of mine who was sacked way back in 2010. He spoke to his lawyer who initiated correspondence with the bank before taking the issue to the court...He was latter called by the bank for out-of-court settlement which they eventually paid him 12 million naira or so. He is currently living a fulfilled LIFE in the US.....

IMO take is to do everything through an experienced legal practitioner and do not bow to pressure of uncertainty...

11 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Okamiye(m): 7:05am On Jun 06, 2016
I'm not an expert in these things, and I certainly don't know the said company. However, I feel the company definitely had more to gain from a resignation that the sacking. And they played the "resignation is better" card on your boss and he/she bought that too. If it was me, I'd have found out what they stand to gain / lose from both actions before obliging.

5 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by SmileXtraone: 7:05am On Jun 06, 2016
thinking
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by patrickjose: 7:06am On Jun 06, 2016
last month my colleague was to be sack on an offense we all knew its sack, but the HR called him and gave him a resignation form to fill. I think its a good move of assistance as he can still put that on his CV. and if there is any verification from his next employer, sack will not be found but resignation. try not to be sack but resign honorably.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by decub: 7:09am On Jun 06, 2016
It's best for him to go and resign; for reference purposes.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by otunbashonny(m): 7:09am On Jun 06, 2016
That's all these banks scope after laying you off. #Saynotobankjob.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by frank043(m): 7:09am On Jun 06, 2016
It's simple... Resignation (be it forced or voluntary) is white, while sack is black. One can come up with positive reason(s) for resigning, but sack is all NEGATIVE. It is easier to get a job with resignation than sack. Prospective employers will want to know why you were sacked (ie if you EVER get an invitation), and if you EVER get employed, their eyes will be on you and they will never stop being skeptical. The firm behaved very professional, they don't want to paint him black or reduce his chances of getting a new job cos they can't afford to pay him.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SEAFARERS Messroom / BRT Drivers On Strike Over ‘unpaid Salary (pic) / Why Some People More Creative Than Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.