Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,832 members, 7,837,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? (14931 Views)

How Do I Deal With A Staff That Resigns Abruptly? / Dear Employer, Have You Seen Neymar New Salary Breakdown? – Nigerian / Most Loved, Two Official Cars, Then Mysteriously Asked To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 06, 2016
VocalWalls:

I totally understand you. However, the pay really matters.
If it's enough for him to start up something and be his own boss, then he's likely not in he need for the referral.

Besides, some bad bosses will badmouth him, whether he resigned kr got laid off.

Lastly, it depends on the amount involved.
you have a point. I just think being safe is best sha
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by DEBJOCH1(m): 11:01am On Jun 06, 2016
WELL, FOR ME, AFTER I MIGHT HAVE PUT ABOUT 8 YEARS IN AN ORGANIZATION, I WILL RATHER RESIGN AND WALK AWAY WITH THE PEANUT THE COMPANY WILL GIVE ME, THAN TO BE SACKED AND ME PAID OFF WITH N1M OR SO. IF YOU STILL HAVE THE DREAM OF SEEKING FOR FURTHER EMPLOYMENT, IT WILL BE BETTER YOU RESIGN. BUT IF YOU WANT TO START UP YOUR OWN BUSINESS WITHOUT GOING TO USE YOUR FORMER ORGANIZATION AS A REFERENCE POINT, THEN SACK WILL SEEMS GOOD. YOU WILL BE ENTITLED TO SOME BENEFIT WHEN YOU ARE SACKED ON A "GOOD GOOD" BUT SAME IS NOT APPLICABLE WHEN YOU RESIGN.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by nonyjay(m): 1:10pm On Jun 06, 2016
Unike1:

Spot on. You just said it all. We often mix up or misinterpret both concepts(Sack; professionally termed as DISMISSAL and TERMINATION of employment; which could be initiated by either party). If an employee is DISMISSED, in most cases such employee was involved in some form of unwholesome practices, the organization is not compelled to provide any form of severance package, Infact litigation might follow. If the organization decides to allow you resign, thank your stars. TERMIMATION is bi-faceted. First scenario is the one explained above.(in other words, termination could come in the form of dismissal). Second scenario is when an employee is laid off/a mass retrenchment due to economic factors affecting the company or other internal disturbances. Yes, TERMINATION is used but in such a case those affected should be adequately compensated as it's no fault of theirs and YES nothing stops you from referencing that same company in your next employment. When such is the case and the employer ask you to come resign , it's grossly unethical in HR practice. The company is doing you no favour by asking you to turn in your resignation letter. All these trash exist only in a country like ours where the Labour law is weak and hardly enforced.

My brother , God will bless for this post. This right here is a bigggg confusion for many workers. I hope some people will learn and stop doing ITK.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by nonyjay(m): 1:13pm On Jun 06, 2016
Nigerians will not read and learn. All these ones still confusing sack with layoff. Can't you read and give this guy sound advice. Don't give advice only based on your situation abeg.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by property123: 3:04pm On Jun 06, 2016
k
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Debbime(f): 3:09pm On Jun 06, 2016
I quite agree with you. The employer is actually doing you a favour. Please grab it.

kowema:
Giving you the opportunity the resign in a case where you services are no longer needed is actually a favour..

It's not about money but long term. Imagine working in a company and getting sacked after 5 Years.
Referencing that company in your Cv might be a hard decision and if you don't, It becomes five long years unaccounted for. Asking you to resign is giving you the opportunity to go out there and say You left and then you find a reason to give your interviewer
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by Nyceguy92: 4:24pm On Jun 06, 2016
VocalWalls:

Baba, they might have the right to lay off, but he also deserves his severance package.

Who resignation letter help?

He needs his package to move on. Every other employer out there will be reasonable to understand he was laid off due to the economic meltdown, not because he committed a crime.

Well said.
Employers know that people lose their jobs one way or another.
If the guy knows his job and impresses a potential employer in a future job interview,he will surely be hired.

If there are packages that go with the sack, he should go for them and not resign.
Next time he is asked why he was sacked,he should tell them the company downsized. It is acceptable.

2 Likes

Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by vascey(m): 7:11pm On Jun 06, 2016
Unike1:

Spot on. You just said it all. We often mix up or misinterpret both concepts(Sack; professionally termed as DISMISSAL and TERMINATION of employment; which could be initiated by either party). If an employee is DISMISSED, in most cases such employee was involved in some form of unwholesome practices, the organization is not compelled to provide any form of severance package, Infact litigation might follow. If the organization decides to allow you resign, thank your stars. TERMIMATION is bi-faceted. First scenario is the one explained above.(in other words, termination could come in the form of dismissal). Second scenario is when an employee is laid off/a mass retrenchment due to economic factors affecting the company or other internal disturbances. Yes, TERMINATION is used but in such a case those affected should be adequately compensated as it's no fault of theirs and YES nothing stops you from referencing that same company in your next employment. When such is the case and the employer ask you to come resign , it's grossly unethical in HR practice. The company is doing you no favour by asking you to turn in your resignation letter. All these trash exist only in a country like ours where the Labour law is weak and hardly enforced.

And lots of ignorance. The ignorance exposed here is just tiring. People say what they don't know and other people who do not know applaud them. In this era of Internet, it's amazing that people still come here and mislead others.

Thanks for the further explanation.
Re: Employer Fired A Staff And Asked Him To Come Back To Resign Should He ? by biridon(m): 4:27am On Jun 07, 2016
Which of the banks did this?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Civil Ways To Communicate (pragmatics) / SEAFARERS Messroom / Lagos Directs Civil Servants From Level 13 To Resume Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.