Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

My Bicycle Restoration Project - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Bicycle Restoration Project (17134 Views)

Land Rover Defender 110 Restoration Project / Aston Martin Unveils ₦7.6m Bicycle, Would You Buy It?(Photos) / This Bicycle Can Be Folded, Charged And Be Used To Charge Other Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 2:26am On Jul 12, 2016
more.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:55am On Jul 13, 2016
Just came in..
1. Leather saddle
2. Leather grips
3. Leather saddle bag smiley smiley smiley smiley

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:56am On Jul 13, 2016
More.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 3:43pm On Jul 15, 2016
Handle bar reassembled with new bell

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by Originalsly: 11:54pm On Jul 15, 2016
Hmmm...in Switzerland !.. must say bikes are mad expensive there! I was wondering why you didn't choose a classic bike...old merging with new!...but guess not so plentiful there. Hope your project finishes before the snow shows up... or we'll have to wait until next summer!
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:16pm On Jul 16, 2016
Originalsly:
Hmmm...in Switzerland !.. must say bikes are mad expensive there! I was wondering why you didn't choose a classic bike...old merging with new!...but guess not so plentiful there. Hope your project finishes before the snow shows up... or we'll have to wait until next summer!

I would finish pretty soon!

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:25pm On Jul 16, 2016
S9mehow im just super tempted not to continue taking pictures for my project because right now im dealing with grease and stuff and its getting messy. I dont want my phone to be part of that. I was able to fix the fork on the frame and connect the handlebar to to the fork. They both work hand in hand.(fork and handlebar). I guess its looking good now. I made a terrible mistake on the top part of the frame and it was that i re sprayed too much of the clear coat to protect the paint and this time i brought it really close and it formed some bubbles on the frame and dried. I thought it would smoothen out but it did not!

I had to scratch that part out and it took of the paint there and i had to respray but it wasnt looking as smooth as the other parts. Although i should have sandpapered it but i did not. Its not that bad though but i wish it was better. I may do something about it if i think it doesnt look good enough later on. But i think its fine. Im just too detailed so these things get to me. This is how tye bike looks now. I had to go out so i left it this way..

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:26pm On Jul 16, 2016

Got a smaller bell tho.. better than the other one.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 8:40am On Jul 18, 2016
So the weekend was super busy for me. But i was not working on this project. Today i am less busy and i decided to put in a few on this love of mine. I was able to take out the old saddle stand and replace it with the new chair. But first i had to wash it off as it was dirty and with a few rust here and there. I used a product meant for kitchen sinks to wash the iron. I would list the procedures i went through to get this done and the pictures would follow in that order

1. I took out the old metal holding the old saddle.

2. new saddle waiting to be used.

3. components holding the old saddle.

4. The chemical i would be using to do the washing. Its very good for metal.

5. Chemical applied to the metal components. (I left this to stay for 5 minutes or less)

6. Washed metal components looking fresh.

7. I have been looking for something to grease bolts so that next time i want to unscrew it doesnt give problems. I did not see any grease and i dont want to buy one. I decided to use hair cream. I guess it should work also. Although its not coventional but its better than nothing.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 8:43am On Jul 18, 2016

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 8:44am On Jul 18, 2016
6 continued.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 8:47am On Jul 18, 2016
8.Ready to use new saddle
9. How the bicycle looks at the moment
10. Had to put something soft on the floor so that the bottom part of the metal does not come in contact with the hard floored surface.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 9:19am On Jul 18, 2016
Next stop, mud guards

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 11:18am On Jul 18, 2016
Covered the saddle cos i would be flipping it over

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 11:20am On Jul 18, 2016
Looking good fam!

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:42pm On Jul 19, 2016
Ok folks. If you werent following before now is the time to sit back and stay glued to this thread. My motor kit just came through and i must say its big! I am super excited right now that i feel something moving in my tummy. First without much ado, unpacking is the next thing to do. Watch this space!!!

The colour of everything fits yhe colour i sprayed the bike. How cool!!!

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:50pm On Jul 19, 2016
What i am gonna do right now is replace the new wheel with the new tires i got.

This stuff is pretty heavy! Damn!

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 1:25pm On Jul 19, 2016
So done! Took out everything from the old wheel. Tube, inner rubber lining and i would be taking the freewheel out too! But later on.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 1:26pm On Jul 19, 2016
More

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2016
please dont mind my dirty balcony. some things there are kept to be thrown away and its just generally unkempt because I am wokring on this project and i have been for the past months. So I dont bother putting it in order.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 4:33pm On Jul 19, 2016
New rear rack fixed. Looking good smiley

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 12:49pm On Jul 20, 2016
Rear rack before being fixed.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 4:53pm On Jul 20, 2016
So i couldnt swotch the freewheel for my old wheel to the new one because they are not the same. Before then i tried my best to do it myself but i did not have the tool so i took both wheels to a bike shop and they told me i would have to get another one. So i did. Getting the new freewheel versus switching was just 2fr (N700) difference. It was better i chose the new one.i would keep yhe old wheel in the keller. but there is another problem which i would discusss in a new post
Pic 1 and 2

Old wheel
New wheel

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2016
Okay so fixing the rear rack was a problm for me because there was no actual spot to place to bolt it up. I would have love it to share the same hole with the mudguard but as at yesterday that was not possible. I had to place it in a different hole that was just there for design. This hole was just bigger and shapeless so i used washers to hold it down. Thinking it was all okay as i was installing the rear tire i discovered that the hole i put the rear rack is coming in serious contact with the free wheel. There was no way it was going to work. So i decided to go see if i can get a a screw that was a bit longer in length but had the same width with the mudguard's screw.

Behold i found it and i put it on and it worked. I only had to adjust the top part of the mudguard to fit to so its proportion doesn't look skewed. I would try to upload pictures soon.

Picture 1 shows the hole within the frame. its so wide.
Picture 2 Shows the mudguard screw hole. its an M5 the screw i had to that was short.
Picture 3 shows the long and screw. The long being the new one and the short the older one.
Picture 4 shows the new screw used to pin the mudgaurd and the rear rack in one hole. Nice stuff

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:11pm On Jul 20, 2016
Picture 5 shows another view of the new screw used.

1 Share

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:14pm On Jul 20, 2016
Picture 5: Here i am fitting the screws to tighten the tire in place.
Picture 6: I am fitting the plastic cover for the screw to give it a nice look.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:17pm On Jul 20, 2016
flipped it over. Here is a sneak peak of what the bicycle looks like now. I was checking to see if the battery can slide iin and out without obstruction from the screws i used to hold down the battery plate. and it works good

1 Share

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
Forgot to add this, I adjusted the tiny rod that holds the mudguard from up as the mudguard itself was skewed due to the slight displacement when attaching it with the rear rack. and its better now than it looks.

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 5:28pm On Jul 22, 2016
I woke up early this morning and the first thing i did was to spray the controller box i woyld be hanging in my frame that would contain the controller itself. You can call it the brain box of the bike. Uts black but i dont like its shade of black so i decided to give it a less shiny spray with my dear matt black spray. So this is a pic of it before and when i get home i am sure its already dry so i would be posting the after pics too. Tgis was 6 am this morning.

The second picture is one of the controller..

1 Like

Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
Man, you guys would forgive me. I see i have made alot of typos here. Even my punctuations, spellings and composure is just wrong but im not ready to change it yet because i am giving live updates as i work. So its basically impossible to be very precise with my composure and english generally.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by calebify1(m): 9:26pm On Jul 22, 2016
Enjoying ur updates and learning.
Re: My Bicycle Restoration Project by redcliff: 10:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
calebify1:
Enjoying ur updates and learning.

Thanks it good to know someone is following.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Does The Police Force Has The Jurisdiction To Ask For Driver's License? / Viecar VC 309 Scanner: Code Display and Interpretation !!! (10k, All Cars ) / This Guy Made Various Car Sounds With His Mouth. They Sound So Real (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.