Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities (34633 Views)

Militants Bomb Ogbembiri Agip Gas Pipeline / Niger-Delta Avengers Threaten Atiku, Danjuma, Lukman, Other Oil Bloc Owners / "Niger-Delta Avengers" Threaten To Bomb Lagos And Abuja - Madoch Agninibo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by olaide92(m): 5:16am On Jun 10, 2016
…Shell loses 130,000bpd to TNP closure

Ovie Okpare and ’Femi Asu

The attacks on oil and gas facilities in the Niger Delta continued Thursday evening with the bombing of a pipeline belonging to the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

Sources told one of our correspondents that the incident happened at 7:40pm around the Shalomi Creek in Warri South-West Local Government Area of Delta State.

Multiple security sources in the area confirmed the incident to one of our correspondents at about 8:50pm.

No group, including the Niger Delta Avengers, which has claimed responsibility for series of attacks on oil facilities in the past, has claimed responsibility for Thursday’s incident.

The commander, Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Delta, Commodore Riami Mohammed, when contacted at about 9:09pm, denied knowledge of the incident. He promised to investigate and get back to our correspondent but had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.

But a senior military officer, who spoke on condition anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the issue, confirmed the development.

The source said details of the incident were still sketchy due to the time it took place.

The Niger Delta Avengers had earlier on Thursday threatened to secede from the country, saying that successive governments had been unfair to the people of the Niger Delta region.

It said that what the people of the Niger Delta had been asking for from successive governments in Nigeria was the provision of basic amenities and inclusiveness.

The group called on the international community, especially Britain, France, United States, Russia and China not to allow the region to go the way of Sudan.

In a statement issued by its spokesperson, Murdoch Agbinibo, the NDA maintained that all that successive governments wanted was the flow of crude oil from the region and not its development.

It vowed to remedy the age-long devastation against the region with every means necessary.

It said in the statement, “Since the amalgamation of Nigeria in 1914 to date, our resources have been used to sustain the political administrative livewire of Nigeria to the exclusion of the Niger Delta.

“Finally, we are calling on the international community to come and support the restoration of our right to peaceful self-determination from this tragedy of 1914 that has expired since 2014.

“We want our resources back to restore the essence of human life in our region for generations to come because Nigeria has failed to do that. The world should not wait until we go the Sudan way. Enough is enough.

“This history of terror, we the Niger Delta Avengers will resist and correct with every means necessary. We have nothing to lose in the battle ahead.”

It added, “Justice, they say, is only found within the structure of a nation state; rather than provide justice, the Nigerian government has decided to mobilise her military might to intimidate, torture, maim, victimise and bombard a section of the nation and her citizenry to allow the free flow of our oil.

“Since the day crude oil was discovered in commercial quantity and quality in Oloibiri in the present day Bayelsa State, what we have being asking from successive governments in Nigeria is potable drinking water, electricity, roads, employment, quality education, resource control and inclusive governance.”

The threat of secession came just as crude oil production in the country suffered further threats with the Trans Niger Pipeline, one of two major pipelines transporting the Bonny Light crude grade for export, being shut.

The TNP, which is operated by Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited, was shut on Wednesday after a leak was found, a Shell spokesperson told one of our correspondents on Thursday.

“We are conducting a joint investigation visit comprising officials of the SPDC, the regulators and the communities to determine the cause of the leak and the volume affected,” he said.

One source referring to a memo sent out to participants in the TNP said it was expected to be down for at least a week and would see around 130,000 barrels per day of production shut-in, according to Reuters.

The shutdown comes just as repairs were completed on the Nembe Creek Trunk Line that also moves the major export grade.

In early May, force majeure, a legal clause that allows companies to cancel or delay deliveries due to unforeseen circumstances, was declared by Royal Dutch Shell on Bonny Light exports after the NCTL was closed.

The TNP transports around 180,000 barrels of crude oil per day to the Bonny Export Terminal and is part of the gas liquids evacuation infrastructure, critical for continued domestic power generation at the Afam VI power plant, and liquefied gas exports, Shell said on its website.

The United States’ Energy Information Administration on Thursday said the massive wildfire in Canada, militant attacks on oil facilities in Nigeria, political strife in Libya and power outages complicated by bad weather in Iraq cut an average of 3.6 million barrels of oil a day from the global crude supply in May.

The EIA said May’s unplanned disruptions were the largest since the agency began tracking the date in 2011.

The wildfire in Canada’s oil sands region knocked an average of 800,000 bpd out of production, with a peak disruption of 1.1 million barrels. Production began coming back online earlier this month.

Nigeria’s production averaged a drop of 800,000 bpd in May as militant attacks increased on oil and natural gas facilities. Production from the country fell to its lowest level since the 1980s, according to the EIA.

http://punchng.com/avengers-threaten-secession-militants-bomb-npdc-facilities/

3 Likes

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by ckmayoca: 5:21am On Jun 10, 2016
Haba!

2 Likes

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by MRSALT: 5:22am On Jun 10, 2016
My question is which regime are we?" APC or NDA. Under our eyes, rag tag boys without formal military training are holding us to ransom. Disband Nigeria Army, Navy and Airforce if they are helpless and hopeless in the face of this great national economic sabotage. Enough is enough.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by blackmatter007: 5:33am On Jun 10, 2016
Buhari government will either bring Nigeria to the path of reconciliation and development or lead her to the path of destruction and with the way he is dealing with this militant issue, he is leading us to the path of destruction.

But you know my happiness?

THE OLD EASTERN REGION IS READY!!!

'SOFISHTICATED' HOW FAR?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by beadaholic(f): 5:36am On Jun 10, 2016
Nawa o. It's well
Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by LazyWasterners: 5:40am On Jun 10, 2016
I pity Buhari! You can't sow orange and go there to harvest watermelon! You dey craze? When you sow ungovernable government, you reap ungovernable government period!

221 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by Nusaf: 5:43am On Jun 10, 2016
MRSALT:
My question is which regime are we?" APC or NDA. Under our eyes, rag tag boys without formal military training are holding us to ransom. Disband Nigeria Army, Navy and Airforce if they are helpless and hopeless in the face of this great national economic sabotage. Enough is enough.
The gospel truth.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by princemillla(m): 5:45am On Jun 10, 2016
Am very sure Niger delta leaders are watching their wards destroying a nation source of income but would rather keep quiet on it. but when FG play back on them, it will turn out to be witch hunt or whatever name that suits them.

FG self dey Bleep up self. You claim cease fire, but they ain't ceasing any fire along, why not treat them as terrorist they RE.
No group should be capable of holding a nation at ransom.

Forget the noise coming from the west they never meant well for this country

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by mensdept: 5:49am On Jun 10, 2016
MRSALT:

Don't tell me you forgot about the threat here on nairaland last year about our all inspiring military. All the pictures and paparazzi made you think we could tomorrow go and kick homosexuality out of Yankee, or tell Putin or the Chinese to go sidon somewhere.

But it was all hype, propaganda, and a feel good moment.

The truth is the military, like our "nation" is nothing more than an extension of the British Royal African Company, with our so-called army protecting the interest of that and not us.

That's the truth and why small skirmishes can't even be dealt with effectively. But put the name Biafra then they will become serious because of the obvious truth behind what that represents.

76 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by CHIJIOKE1314: 5:53am On Jun 10, 2016
All these are planned waiting for the military to start what you guys are proposing. .

It's a trap to civil war..

Let me stop here for now.. Only the wise would understand my few words, but the foolish ones will still wallow in ignorance and cheer military into this trap and prayers would be answered..

Let's all stop now and think before anything else...

33 Likes

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by bender79: 5:56am On Jun 10, 2016
Every part of the country should own their resources period.

107 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by koladebrainiac(m): 5:59am On Jun 10, 2016
Wish they can actually blow the oil till nothing is produced again . and when they are done,we will see maybe they will make good of their treat by turning to fct and start nuking us. Then maybe they will be granted amanesty

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by koladebrainiac(m): 6:01am On Jun 10, 2016
bender79:
Every part of the country should own their resources period.
But they are bombing their own resources now

12 Likes

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by monaPhilz: 6:01am On Jun 10, 2016
Nawaooh
Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by Karm16: 6:03am On Jun 10, 2016
Why threaten? Just seceed nau. Biafrans of NDA branch.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by kossyablaze(m): 6:06am On Jun 10, 2016
Any which way
Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by koladebrainiac(m): 6:07am On Jun 10, 2016
When they are done blowing oil. the little money they have, they wont have anything again.
If only they can think.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by proeast(m): 6:08am On Jun 10, 2016
I wonder why we Nigerians act dumb & silly most times, we will see solutions to our problem yet we will prevaricate, waste precious time & hope to wake up & see everything working perfectly, even without making effort! Avengers have tabled their demand & also their threat, we thought we could subdue them, now its obvious that we are fighting a lost battle, is it not best we implement true fiscal federalism now & have the oil states pay royalties to the centre rather than loose all? A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE!!!

138 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by kossyablaze(m): 6:10am On Jun 10, 2016
Karm16:
Why threaten? Just seceed nau. Biafrans of NDA branch.
and u think after sleeping and waking up, u ll just secede? U think itz dat easy? Itz not for cowards jare.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by dreamworld: 6:21am On Jun 10, 2016
I comment my reserve,
I mean my reserve my comment,
I mean i reserve my comment grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by Ugomba(m): 6:22am On Jun 10, 2016
Let them try and break away, let us see.
They should count the Igbos out of their madness, their fathers betrayed the biafran army during the war for "ONE NIGERIA".
why are they now complaining?
Igbo people should learn to be more smart in playing tactics in Nigeria political sphere.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by ihatebuhari(f): 6:23am On Jun 10, 2016
nice
Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by IRserveMyComent(f): 6:25am On Jun 10, 2016
It is very easy for most of us to be in d comfort of our homes and scream kill them all! Finish them! Send the military, air force,navy etc against them. You can NEVER understand their plight, you are not from there. May the Lord help this country.

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by IRserveMyComent(f): 6:26am On Jun 10, 2016
dreamworld:
I comment my reserve, I mean my reserve my comment, I mean i reserve my comment grin

That's the best thing for u to do my dear.

2 Likes

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by Blizzy9ja: 6:27am On Jun 10, 2016
Anything to stop the injustice

14 Likes

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 10, 2016
I will b back
Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by pacino26(m): 6:32am On Jun 10, 2016
princemillla:
Am very sure Niger delta leaders are watching their wards destroying a nation source of income but would rather keep quiet on it. but when FG play back on them, it will turn out to be witch hunt or whatever name that suits them.

FG self dey Bleep up self. You claim cease fire, but they ain't ceasing any fire along, why not treat them as terrorist they RE.
No group should be capable of holding a nation at ransom.

Forget the noise coming from the west they never meant well for this country

Pay them back in what sense? By moving troops to intimidate, arrest and kill innocent people? Is that it for you.

In as much as I condemn the attacks cuz of the effects on the economy I will only advice the govt up it's game in intelligence gathering if the unity of this failed nation is dependent only on oil.

Funny u o

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by iykopy: 6:35am On Jun 10, 2016
The number of witchcrafts in the country wont let good things happpen . Why are we running away from solution to our problem? Why can't we implement true federalism once and for all since unitary styled democracy isn't working out?

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by Nobody: 6:36am On Jun 10, 2016
It seems like a successful achievement now but at the long run......Niger Delta may loose because they may not have another round of investors to rebuild the damaged facilities undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided... I'll tell you a story;

A man started destroying his house because he was angry with his father......but he lived in that destroyed house when he resolved the issues with his father. Now his father has forgiven him......he has also forgiven his father....... but both of them lost the confidence and trust from their neighbours and colleagues.....they both experienced a drop in their income thus could not rebuild the house.....Now when the rain came.....he had to live in that same house.... na who loose embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed.

Let's maintain these facilities for posterity sake....at least as a museum. wink wink wink wink wink wink wink Let's communicate our grievances in a peaceful way but to the right persons.

Please stop the anger and let's work out our differences. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avengers Threaten Secession As Militants Bomb NPDC Facilities by Nairasurplus(m): 6:41am On Jun 10, 2016
Ugomba:
Let them try and break away, let us see.
They should count the Igbos out of their madness, their fathers betrayed the biafran army during the war for "ONE NIGERIA".
why are they now complaining?
Igbo people should learn to be more smart in playing tactics in Nigeria political sphere.
Ugomba, negodu ife I na ekwu. They are not like their fathers. They have realised the mistakes their fathers made and they want it corrected.

66 Likes 11 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jacob Zuma Bags Chieftaincy Title In Imo, Nigeria (Photos, Video) / Disquiet In Lagos APC Over Sanwo-olu’s Cabinet / Remi Tinubu To Senator Elisha Abbo: "I Am Another Woman Be Careful"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.