Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access (40954 Views)

All States Must Abide By Proposed Minimum Wage – Ngige / Anambra : What Niger Delta States Must Learn From Her / Why United States Must Support Okonjo-Iweala For World Bank Presidency - By Bade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Nturguy1122: 2:02pm On Jun 15, 2016
So governors are forces to macth their monthly allocation plus watever revenue they generate to their expenses cos what this policy simply means is that there's no bailout for corrupt lazy governors...Lol i wait to see how incompetent dull governor would operate knowing that there's no bailout if they owe workers

3 Likes

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by skywalker001(m): 2:03pm On Jun 15, 2016
Guyman02:
They govs should also publish how security votes were spent; thats the number one corruption tool.
U really make sense bro
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by JohnieWalker(m): 2:15pm On Jun 15, 2016
shamecurls:
In my opinion, I think states should be auctions. Dangote can afford to buy-off and manage the South-East and South-South while Tinubu can buy-off the West and IBB and Atiku can do a joint venture and buy the whole of the North. These businessmen can automatically own and manage these regions if an agreement is reached with the Federal government

grin grin grin
wisdom is all I pray for you
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Earth2Metahuman: 2:23pm On Jun 15, 2016
emmykk:
Buhari want to continue to screw banks,if banks dont give out loan how would they profit to keep bank workers.

And i hope the federal govt would not borrow too.

Oya lagos,kano,imo,edo should lead this new polices.

Also FG should deduct state workers salaries at source from state account and pay directly to state workers account,this way monthly allocation will not gets spent without state workers not getting their salaries.
bank is not for government but for the people.
Its not important to have large number of banks..
If banks cannot operate without government money, they should kindly fold up.

4 Likes

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by MrImole: 2:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Ayodele Fayose is the most transparent governor in Nigeria, at least he won the award. He's also the first if not the only Governor that sent a copy of his state budgets to EFCC.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by porka: 2:29pm On Jun 15, 2016
This is an exercise in futility.

One of those APC's childish propositions that is entirely un-implementable.

Nigeria is a federation governed by the constitution. The state executives and legislatures are all elected by their constituents with different agenda.

Each federating unit is accountable to the electorate which elected them. Nigeria does not presently run a sole-administratorship neither are we under the military.

This is similar to what Fashola argued when they tried to make his foreign loan applications go through a lesser scrutiny. And that was even a foreign loan to be guaranteed by the sovereign. It was on record that he harassed and blackmailed the federal government of that time.

The process of obtaining a loan by the states is very clear. The DMO already has stringent conditions which are being strictly followed.

Any attempts to further enlarge Abuja's powers will be duly resisted by the states.

How can the federal government dictate prices for states for instance?

There's nothing wrong in using moral suassion to encourage the states to get their acts together, but acting like a school principal in a federation is entirely against the spirit and letters of the Nigeria's constitution.

And then why is the federal government always rushing to 'offer loans' to states when they can simply pay what they are owing them?

1 Like

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Iamabraham(m): 2:33pm On Jun 15, 2016
The power being wielded by the state governors is too much.

Why will governors like Ajimobi (Oyo state, APC), Mimiko (Ondo state, PDP), Aregbe (Osun, APC) and Fayose(PDP, Ekiti) refuse to pay workers for like 5 to 6 consecutive months, and yet are free to walk and talk anyhow on media?

Shouldn't these governors be charged to court? The immunity given to them while in office is ridiculous. These people are corporate thieves. Where are they channeling the monies to?

Even if the money isn't enough, they shouldnt be owing more than 2months salaries. Imagine a worker who haven't collected any dime this year as salary?/How should he survive?

Even Ajimobi, I learnt, knowingly refuse to pay the teachers because they didn't vote for him in his 2nd term.

This is a nice move by Kemi Adeosun, God bless her. This is one of her bold steps she has taken in her short tenure. She is already enforcing the payment of taxes by the 'big players'. We need people like her and Kachikwu in this country.

The FG should go a step further and ENFORCE them(the governors) to meet all these conditions whether they want to access the loan or not. There must be transparency in all level of government.

But why are south west governors like this now?

I once worked in North and things aren't like this.

May the looters never know peace. Amen
God bless our Country.

5 Likes

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by corvoca: 2:40pm On Jun 15, 2016
I hope the state governments would be able to meet these stringent conditions. www.nairaland.com/3168150/ekiti-doctors-embark-indefinite-strike
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by focus7: 2:52pm On Jun 15, 2016
Nos 1,3,4,6,12,15,16 will disqualify Fayose for obvious reasons, I wlll not be surprise if he come out to brag that Ekiti State does not need government bail out fund whereas he collected the last one and still did not pay his workers.

4 Likes

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by gudnex22(m): 2:53pm On Jun 15, 2016
chriskosherbal:
Are we sure these states governors will agree to this bail out conditions.

They don't have option
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by enigma2007(m): 2:53pm On Jun 15, 2016
CyerSeries:
The thing is that no State can meet these requirements so, its as good as saying no bailout again and owed workers will still go home without salary.. Regionalism or fiscal federalism is the way to go.

How will federalism work if they cannot adhere to the conditions above? Considering that most of these govs are not doing anything tangible with the little they have.

Regionalism or fiscal federalism will make more sense when we know what they are doing or are going to do with the resources at their disposal.

2 Likes

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by DrLuv: 2:54pm On Jun 15, 2016
MrImole:
Ayodele Fayose is the most transparent governor in Nigeria, at least he won the award. He's also the first if not the only Governor that sent a copy of his state budgets to EFCC.
a quote from the planet of the apes..........

I mean the movie

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by enigma2007(m): 2:55pm On Jun 15, 2016
porka:
This is an exercise in futility.

One of those APC's childish propositions that is entirely un-implementable.

Nigeria is a federation governed by the constitution. The state executives and legislatures are all elected by their constituents with different agenda.

Each federating unit is accountable to the electorate which elected them. Nigeria does not presently run a sole-administratorship neither are we under the military.

This is similar to what Fashola argued when they tried to make his foreign loan applications go through a lesser scrutiny. And that was even a foreign loan to be guaranteed by the sovereign. It was on record that he harassed and blackmailed the federal government of that time.

The process of obtaining a loan by the states is very clear. The DMO already has stringent conditions which are being strictly followed.

Any attempts to further enlarge Abuja's powers will be duly resisted by the states.

How can the federal government dictate prices for states for instance?

There's nothing wrong in using moral suassion to encourage the states to get their acts together, but acting like a school principal in a federation is entirely against the spirit and letters of the Nigeria's constitution.

And then why is the federal government always rushing to 'offer loans' to states when they can simply pay what they are owing them?

Bros! Its simple...the govs should not expect handouts from the center, rather they should start looking for means to generate revenue internally.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by DrLuv: 3:03pm On Jun 15, 2016
with these strigent conditions and criteria, ekiti state government can never be a recipient of this new bail out fund..
mr Ay cannot be transparent enough to make the financial status/papers of the state mae public for scrutiny. ko possible.

1 Like

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by chukzyblingz(m): 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
For those people quoting me. I'm not against what the FG is planning to do but I've lost confidence in them that everything they do is suspicious. they're so deceptive that theres always more that meet the eyes in everything they do. The States have misappropriated funds so is the FG. isn't this a way to quiet the agitation for true Federalism? I'm very busy and I don't have time to make the points i would like to make here. maybe later I come up with a better response. Right now I have my brain in very important thing but Nigeria belongs to all of us that's why we should always try to think beyond what these politicians present to us especially this present APC government. Every time they come up with any good news, it always turns out to be a scam
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by porka: 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
bank is not for government but for the people.
Its not important to have large number of banks..
If banks cannot operate without government money, they should kindly fold up.

There's what is called the public sector and private sectors in modern banking, ok?

The private sector consists of individuals, businesses and other organizations, ok?

The public sector is the government - agencies, parastatals and ministries, ok?

No government can operate without the bank, ok?

Governments need to collect revenue and banks help collect and keep in safe custody government revenues on daily basis, ok?

Money so kept are used to lend to other customers in need of funds (including government), ok?

The process is a very sophisticated mechanism called financial intermediation, ok? (You may read up some materials online).

Banks provide short-term (and medium-term) funds for their customers, both public (government) and private (individuals and businesses), ok?

Banks also provide long term funding for government projects (through contractors) in other times, ok?

Governments approach banks for facilities to cover some exigencies in the face of the illiquid positions of government accounts, ok?

Hope you understand how things are done in modern societies now. Things have gone way beyond the 13th century Alajo Shomolu banking model you are probably used to.

If you need more clarification, you can use the search engines.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by porka: 3:14pm On Jun 15, 2016
enigma2007:

Bros! Its simple...the govs should not expect handouts from the center, rather they should start looking for means to generate revenue internally.

Not all of them are expecting handouts.

If the federal government can pay them what it owes them, many of them will be in good position.

There won't be any needs to issue these types of Hammurabi's laws.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by enigma2007(m): 3:53pm On Jun 15, 2016
porka:

Not all of them are expecting handouts.

If the federal government can pay them what it owes them, many of them will be in good position.

There won't be any needs to issue these types of Hammurabi's laws.

Even if they are paid in full, are you saying that the state govs or govts should not be accountable and transparent in their dealings despite the fact that they are elected to serve the people?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Japhestra(m): 3:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
Good one Madam Finance Minister, accountablity and transparency is now by force. Now we have a President that has the political will to curb the excesses of those Governors.

3 Likes

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Earth2Metahuman: 5:02pm On Jun 15, 2016
porka:

There's what is called the public sector and private sectors in modern banking, ok?

The private sector consists of individuals, businesses and other organizations, ok?

Governments need to collect revenue and banks help collect and keep in safe custody government revenues on daily basis, ok?

Money so kept are used to lend to other customers in need of funds (including government), ok?

The process is a very sophisticated mechanism called financial intermediation, ok? (You may read up some materials online).

Banks provide short-term (and medium-term) funds for their customers, both public (government) and private (individuals and businesses), ok?

Banks also provide long term funding for government projects (through contractors) in other times, ok?

Governments approach banks for facilities to cover some exigencies in the face of the illiquid positions of government accounts, ok?

Hope you understand how things are done in modern societies now. Things have gone way beyond the 13th century Alajo Shomolu banking model you are probably used to.

so many Okays grin

Anyhoo, central bank handles the money or any finances that belongs to government all over the world.
except special banks funded by government for financial or AIDs purposes. Like the Islamic banks in some countries or government owned micro finance banks.
Private banks run on money from public not government all over the world..
That's why banks will start begging you to come and collect loans in well oorganized society with very low interest rate unlike Nigeria where banks don't even give a crap about customers and would rather loan money to politicians than smes.

Its simple, and all these stories is not needed. Central bank suppose to run on government money cost its government bank while private banks suppose to run the private sector and not turn to another CBN.
If a bank cannot survive without government money, it should fold up. Simple.

5 Likes

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by igala1(m): 5:19pm On Jun 15, 2016
ITSAWRAPWORLD:
The conditions are sensible and acceptable for accountability. Only States with hidden agenda will find the conditions difficult to comply with.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Eluala(m): 5:52pm On Jun 15, 2016
This template should be endorsed by church members on their churches as conditions for paying tithe.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by wadetaw202: 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2016
Realdeals:
I believe something must be done to tame the governors, they are like gods in their various state. While all the attention is been given to FG, nothing is been said about the states.

cc: lalasticlala

Well, I know one state governor that is not a god in his state. His name is Fatah Ahmed. He can get sacked if saraki is slightly provoked.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by PrinceKenne(m): 6:19pm On Jun 15, 2016
Laelae, I trust my Gov, Osokomole omo Fayose, he can't meet up with even 3 of the conditions not to talk of all.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by thomasthomas: 6:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
so many Okays grin

Anyhoo, central bank handles the money or any finances that belongs to government all over the world.
except special banks funded by government for financial or AIDs purposes. Like the Islamic banks in some countries or government owned micro finance banks.
Private banks run on money from public not government all over the world..
That's why banks will start begging you to come and collect loans in well oorganized society with very low interest rate unlike Nigeria where banks don't even give a crap about customers and would rather loan money to politicians than smes.

Its simple, and all these stories is not needed. Central bank suppose to run on government money cost its government bank while private banks suppose to run the private sector and not turn to another CBN.
If a bank cannot survive without government money, it should fold up. Simple.
Seriously, you been go school and you been dey attend lectures and also dey lisyten to your lecturers.

Good boy!

Bank will now have to reduce their interest rate and lend money to businesses because free government money is not here again. grin cheesy
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by PrinceKenne(m): 6:28pm On Jun 15, 2016
Realdeals:

http://www.newsheadlines.com.ng/latest-nigerian-news/2016/06/15/23-conditions-states-must-meet-to-access-bailout-fund/

Laelae, I trust my Governor, Osokomole Omo-Fayose can never meet up with even 3 out of these conditions not to talk of all.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by wadetaw202: 6:34pm On Jun 15, 2016
Tokt:
Chai, the thug wike can never meet this condition. Till date, no one in Rivers has seen the budget on which the thug operates on. The budget was passed within two days after submittal from wike by HOA. Rivers budget is wikes skewed brain.

And how many times had the Judas, amechi made his budget available to the general public?
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by mayorrolex(m): 6:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
PassingShot:
This is a good way to make the state governors accountable.

Let's see how the Kponmo-cutting thugnor of Ekiti can benefit from FG's bailout without implementing TSA.

Kudos to the PMB-led FG for helping state to be more open and accountable.

Is that d only thing u can come up with
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Suntzung: 7:14pm On Jun 15, 2016
989900:
Now we have a ministry of finance.
Who Is Saying KEMI is dull? now this is only one, let us move and we shall see!

1 Like

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by Suntzung: 7:31pm On Jun 15, 2016
OnankpaBa:
grin grin grin
The Ekiti Madman Already Rejected The Move

1 Like

Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by omolola15(m): 7:34pm On Jun 15, 2016
Boss13:

Please ask yourself what is true federalism? Federalism is the devolution of powers or sharing of powers between the state/regions and the center. Can we be honest enough with ourselves and ask if we can truly give absolute powers to states in this country, given the frequent abuse of powers by state governors and politicians. We have witnessed state governors rigging elections with the military, abuse of state funds.

On the other hand, are we also inferring that our states are not autonomous enough or cannot survive on their own? Yes some of them would not survive because they lack innovation and rely on monthly allocation.

However, we should not continue to deceive ourselves with the concept of true federalism, when politicians are only interested in stealing funds and they are poor in governing. We should be concerned with implementing good governance and public sector scrunity just like these initiatives. We should be more concerned with public sector accountability and disclose of public sector information.

What has these governors done with the funds at the disposal presently? What will resource control achieve for states especially the Niger delta states with high level of impunity, militancy, insecurity and corruption?

If the governors are serious enough and implement these initiatives, they will be credit worthy and have access to a wide range of funds to implement their projects.

How can states be bailed out previously, only for them to return back for more bail out funds? Do they understand what a bail out fund is?

God bless you abundantly. I love you for this lovely piece. No homo.

You have always make sense with your comments on this forum . I've been reading them for some time now. I just we have more people with broad mind like yours on NL. Instead what we have is ethnical bigots and name checkers.
Re: New Bailout Fund: 23 Conditions States Must Meet To Access by omolola15(m): 7:49pm On Jun 15, 2016
porka:

I understand your point here. But the banks abused this privileged. They have failed to remit those money in the past. And that's 1 of the reasons TSA was one of the first thing Buhari implemented. It's government money, why can't you provide it when the government needed it. I'm sure you read of the NNPC money first Bank and some other banks didn't remit. And they were fined for that.

Now government is not doing business with them again and they are sacking here and there. Why won't they survive without government money. They are making enough money from the private sectors na. They bosses have spent away their future profits.

One question. Are you a banker? This one you are defending them like this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi Speaks On His Houses In London / Potable Visits MC Oluomo, Declares Support For Tinubu (Video) / Abba Moro Convoy Involved In Accident On Way To Campaign, Many Dead. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.