Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k (13198 Views)

Numbers To Call To Verify The Validity Of Your Driving Licence - FRSC / Customs Provides Code For Vehicle Owners To Verify Their Customs Papers / Lagos State Launches New Website To Verify Vehicle Number Plates.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by brightleave(m): 7:49am On Jun 19, 2016
if you can get a trusted mechanic 4get about every other thing. I mean a permanent one o.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by brightleave(m): 7:52am On Jun 19, 2016
if you can get a trusted mechanic 4get about every other thing. I mean a permanent one o. you can check my signature 4 further advice.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Boyooosa(m): 7:54am On Jun 19, 2016
eleko1:
U are on point but if u have ur own mechanic that fix ur car 4 U,he'll do ur job to ur satisfaction.He'll even call u baba Ijebu
Sure! But, its always good to allow second party to make margin in transactions with you because dats why everybody is working, it also motivates but am very sure dat a reasonable person will like to be your personal service man because he will be seeing future in your partnership. One should not give himself unnecessary headache cos u want to save few naira. At the end, you turn to penny wise pounds foolish. you might be broke sometimes, good ones will watch your back. But if you continue to buy parts for him, khai, one day you go cry o. If you av good relationship with some, they will expose alot of secrets (pricing system, genuity, first aid and simple techniques to minor problems) to you in their industry and b4 u know it u will not need to call in some cases. It is better for you to spend your time on such adventure than for you to go to Ladipo bcis you want to prove a point.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by IDEJIMBA1(m): 8:06am On Jun 19, 2016
Onyenna:
Simple....

....take the list.....
.....go straight to the market....
.......buy all the required parts yourself.....
.......then give them to fix.....
.......pay for labour.......

C'est fini.....

****modified****

My brother's mechanic once charged him 12k for a particular motor part that he needed to change.....my bro simply went to mechanic village, got the required part for 2k and then gave it to the mechanic to fix it...
You never jam mechanic. They would tell you you bought the fake one and insist until you give them the money to buy by themselves. I think it's even better that way cos they might possibly do a bad job for you if you try to play smart with them.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Godson201333(m): 8:11am On Jun 19, 2016
Phinalphantasy:
my mech gave me a list with about 70k. to say I was weak is an understatement. didn't even know where to start pricing from as I have zero idea of the parts. I eventually gave him sha but I want to know the styles, strategy, established methods you guys employ to beat the gimmicks of these mechs. you'll agree with me it's a common thing? BTW, I have changed mech like five times and it's always same feeling of hiking I get plus those previous ones never kill the issues like this present one

Very simple,when I was home then ,I know how to catch Mutiu my mechanic.it also depends on your mechanic.

In Lagos,tell him to list the part he needs to buy.

Tell him you need to source out the funds he should give you time.

Enter owode onirin or ladipo and have some chat with the spare part dealers.

Or be a nice guy to your mechanic as in treat him like your blood brother and then he is gonna open to you..Be nice to them and don't be the stingy ones..

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by lacidi: 8:26am On Jun 19, 2016
There is nothing like 'an high price', the correct phrase is 'a high price'. The H is not silent please, Haba.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Pyroclast(m): 8:35am On Jun 19, 2016
Toppytek:
It's better you allow your mechanic buy those parts he'll need to replace by himself... I remember one man then when I was learning automobile mechanic before gaining admission... Over sabi dey worry d man... He wanted to service his car and he came with the wrong oil filter... My master told him the filter wouldn't work properly on the vehicle but this man insisted and the oil filter was used for him... Trust me he came back 3 days later to complain about engine malfunctioning. The engine later broke down and he paid to get him another Tokunbo engine just because of a #1000 oil filter...
Another thing is... Those guys selling spare parts are not smiling... They'll probably know that that a particular component or part might not work effectively on your vehicle but because they've seen you as a novice they can give u the wrong one ... I'm talking from the little experience I had then.

And for taking mechanics as not trust worthy.. How I wish you can understand that not all mechanics are the same .. My master will never force you to give him money to buy anything for u... You can go on and buy it yourself so far he's not going to take the blame he'll only advise you on the brand to buy.

I lik automobile mechanic job .. .. But trust me .. It's not easy.. I've seen threads here give on nairaland where people underrate mechanics as if they're not Human being.. How I wish u can go into this work for just 2 weeks .. Am sure you will run from it...

Very well said!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by LeJeun3: 8:45am On Jun 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

get the quote, buy the parts, pay labour. My job would be much easier if every customer could do that.

Gazzuzz has said it all. I second the motion too.

However, don't expected the mechanic to give you a Guarantee on a part you purchased yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by aromokun89: 8:50am On Jun 19, 2016
Plssss add me up on whatsapp 08165347984
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by galadima77(m): 8:51am On Jun 19, 2016
Take d pain to find out major parts dealers...
My mechanic has never given me the true price of items as i later discovered. They usually make more than what u eventually pay them for labor from parts purchase alone. This doesn't imply all mechanics are same but trust ur guts when u start getting that feeling.

Now i even go to them with parts in hand or offer to buy the parts myself
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:53am On Jun 19, 2016
LeJeun3:

Gazzuzz has said it all. I second the motion too.

However, don't expected the mechanic to give you a Guarantee on a part you purchased yourself.

wink
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Iroji: 9:03am On Jun 19, 2016
Everything boils down to what? knowing your car. Most people will just admire a car and buy it with making research about the car all it malfunction, engine details, suspension system, fuel consumption details, engine oil type, transmission system, electrical system. just to mention a few. when you have a little idea about these details of your car than you can have an idea what the cost of part required for the car.
For me I am using a Honda accord 2002 model and have two mechanic, one leaves in my area and the other my working place. but 1 thing about me is that I am a mechanical engineer and do almost ever repair my self. the only weapon you need is the become good friend with your mechanic.
make out time go to the market find out price of spare part for your car
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by LeJeun3: 9:10am On Jun 19, 2016
aromokun89:
Plssss add me up on whatsapp 08165347984

Add you to where and from where??

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by InvertedHammer: 9:27am On Jun 19, 2016
Phinalphantasy:
my mech gave me a list with about 70k. to say I was weak is an understatement. didn't even know where to start pricing from as I have zero idea of the parts. I eventually gave him sha but I want to know the styles, strategy, established methods you guys employ to beat the gimmicks of these mechs. you'll agree with me it's a common thing? BTW, I have changed mech like five times and it's always same feeling of hiking I get plus those previous ones never kill the issues like this present one
/
Give the mechanic the money and hope for the best.
A lot of car owners in Nigeria do not know what brake pads or spark plugs look like. They just buy cars to belong. That's why a particular brand comes en vogue one at a time. One person buys Infinity Fx, everyone wants it. Another one buys Toyota Venza, everyone wants it. In all, quack mechanics smile to the bank.
Like I always say, cars are pain in the a.ss.
\

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Chinaka2014(m): 9:32am On Jun 19, 2016
Nigerians are car lovers and end up wasting their hard earned maintaining their cars without good results. must you drive car, if yes then pay. Because if the machnic fail to collect the money, the spare parts dealers will collect it from you. therefore if must drive then pay for it, you want to be noticed.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by mayor2013: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2016
I think the "op" should state the type of car that is involved. You can't carry a major repair on a range rover sport for 3k. Currently in a friend's workshop he has a landrover 3 whose engine has been destroyed by a road side mechanic why if you may ask? Cheap labour. LR3 engine goes for 1.5m. The car has been lying down there
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by disloman(m): 10:25am On Jun 19, 2016
greggng:
Sometimes when one gives free advice on this forum, is never valued. After today's advice, I will be considering collecting consultation fee. Now if you re in lagos and you know ladipo, then ur problem is half solved. Your mechanic will list all the things you need to buy with there prices. With the list in ur hand tell him u are a salary earner and ur brother sales parts at ladipo. That you want to collect all those parts on credit from him so that month end u can start paying him gradually. At this point he will gladly accept because this doesn't affect his workman charges. With that list visit ladipo with the help of someone that knows the terrain and u will see u can only spend like half of that money he charged u for everything. This is a practical method tht worked for me. Again cos I speak igbo I didn't ve any problem bargaining price and also getting there assuraance that what they sold to me is original and tht I can return it if my mechanic says is fake. It will be boldly written on the receipt issued.
Ladipo is the worst place to go as a novice.What I gat to say is find yourself a good and trustworthy mech.If you believe in his job,let him do it.The kind of parts I will use might differ with what other mech might use.I've worked with lot of people,what I've learnt is tell them the truth always and let them choose from what advice you might have given them.Eg you want to change a CRV brake pads.I might charge the customer 40k for both front and rear.Another mech might charge them 20k.I will them the differences in brake pads.Then they choose.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by disloman(m): 10:27am On Jun 19, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Big lie,

Even with 70k some will still install used or fake parts in your vehicle .
That's where truth comes in.But no sane mech will charge such and still use fake parts.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by disloman(m): 10:29am On Jun 19, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
@op, just pack the car home and get good quotes from three genius parts dealers.
When your spare part are ready invite the Mechanic to come install them.

Make sure you know the spare parts you gave him or else na story you go hear.
Not all mech jobs are done at the customer's place.Take this advice,Don't try to outsmart your mechanic.Be truthful to them.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by disloman(m): 10:33am On Jun 19, 2016
perryy:

Gazuzz is very right. That is the best thing to do. Don't forget, he is talking as an experienced auto engineer. Do what he said and be happy.
Oga Gazuzz is just trying to be smart with his job.When issues come up,he knows how to defend himself.I did such too but gat to be the original parts.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by cosade(m): 10:40am On Jun 19, 2016
phammyus:
The best to get your own spare part vendors, like three of them so you can compare prices when you are buying spare parts. Just ask the mechanics for their workmanship and make sure they are correct with troubleshooting of the fault so you don't waste money on spare parts, because they do guess work a lot.

How would you ensure that all the spare parts you bought are fixed into your vehicle?
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by kenyguy(m): 11:40am On Jun 19, 2016
Phinalphantasy:
Please next time, simply pick up your phone and call/sms 08060218663. We will be there for you.

Thank You!!!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Onyenna(m): 12:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
IDEJIMBA1:

You never jam mechanic. They would tell you you bought the fake one and insist until you give them the money to buy by themselves. I think it's even better that way cos they might possibly do a bad job for you if you try to play smart with them.

You're kinda right.......but a bad job also means he's at risk of losing a customer.........
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by clemmonce(m): 12:21pm On Jun 19, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

get the quote, buy the parts, pay labour. My job would be much easier if every customer could do that.
This is the wrongest move ever. No body tries it and tell a good story at the end.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by mayor2013: 12:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
clemmonce:
This is the wrongest move ever. No body tries it and tell a good story at the end.

It makes work faster and brings a high relief for we engineers.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by VISTIN(m): 12:26pm On Jun 19, 2016
If you have such issues, contact me on 08037167343.

I deal on parts and if the particular ones you need are not in stock, I will source for you (1st Grade Tokumbo, Genuine Brand New).
I also do pay-on-delivery within Lagos.

Just pay your mechanic well so he doesn't harm your vehicle. And don't always be fast to ask him to give you back replaced parts.
Since they're already bad, you can let go. They make a little from such.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by gbengus17: 1:30pm On Jun 19, 2016
AVOID OLD MECHANICS. LOOK FOR SMALL BOYS--A GOOD CHRISTEN OR GOOD MUSLIM==== BUT VERY INTELIGENT AND NEWLY TRAINED. LET THEM BE 2 BOYS. LET EACH ONE OF THEM INSPECT THE MOTOR DIFERENTLY----YOU WILL SEE THE REAL PRICE. NEVER FOLLOW THEM TO GO AND BUY----THEY CHEAT YOU MORE.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 19, 2016
DonX001:

Lol, makes sense....because I have a feeling most mechs pad up their prices for extra revenue.
The problem I have with going to Ladipo myself is
1. Finding time.....usually very busy Monday to Saturday...
2. Getting someone experienced in Ladipo affairs to go with me.

So I usually just end up giving him the money for whatever price he calls, even though I suspect they are grossly padded.

exactly!!!!!!
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
wow... made front page.. first time in twelve or thirteen years? thereabout... guess my Ramadan prayers are working... for those asking, it's a Honda accord 2002. and truly this guy fixed it perfectly. all recurring issue, so far, has disappeared. but I've vowed to sell it off if I need do any repair up to that amount again and buy another car I've started reading about. I just observed cars bought first grade toks by my colleague don't go through any major repair aside the nominal servicing and maintenance.

thanks to everyone who advised. I read each and every advise and it makes sense in its own way. but it is obvious there is no set way of
1) knowing the real and fake parts except you have a trusted dealer, like the dealer's here on NL
2) knowing the authentic part for your car. your mech might insist on part type A as the best but your trusted dealer will say lailai, part type b is best for that car. dilemma!!!!

and for the guy correcting the an high, apart from the fact that I didn't write that part, cut some slacks Biko. in this world of typo, I think you can overlook minimal things as such
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by mu2sa2: 2:34pm On Jun 19, 2016
Op made the mistake many people make when choosing a workman. Basically, there are 3 types of workmen: 1. the one who knows his work and is honest; 2. the one who knows his work but is dishonest; 3. the one who hardly knows his work but is honest. Now, which one do you choose? Of course number 1 straight. But sometimes no.1 may not be available, so we are left with numbers 2 and 3. To get your car fixed the workman must know his onions - on this premise choose number 2 and monitor him closely so that he doesn't fleece you. Op, like many people will do, kept changing mechanic apparently looking for the virtually illusive Mr Honest. What he should have looked out for is a competent one who can do the job. You can tackle a fraudster by keeping a close eye on him/her. My advice is, get a competent mechanic and keep him/her even if he exhibits dishonest tendencies before. But make sure s/he knows that you are a smart person who can not be taken for a ride easily.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by fitinwell: 3:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
[size=28pt]When your mechanic, notice you that you are loaded.. to the Bank.. You automatically becomes his ATM. Bitter and simple truth. All of them shares the same all over. They will spoil the parts and make you pay for there mistakes. I have experienced enough.. And Op why would you have to wait.. Till a spare parts worth of #70k got spoilt in your vehicle [/size]
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Peacefultosin: 3:54pm On Jun 19, 2016
[quote author=DonX001 post=46708195]

If what you want are items like lubricants, transmission fluids, oil filters, plugs, accessories and car care products,you can talk to me on 08130010714.

Getting the items to your desired place if you want is not even a problem so long as it is a public place and you will be willing to take care of the transport cost.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How My Rewire Tried To Trick Me By Turning Off VSC Light Without Fixing VSC / Toyota Corolla Dx Or Golf 4-pls Advice / Hand Drive Converted Vehicles. Your opinions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.