Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,262 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k (13187 Views)

Numbers To Call To Verify The Validity Of Your Driving Licence - FRSC / Customs Provides Code For Vehicle Owners To Verify Their Customs Papers / Lagos State Launches New Website To Verify Vehicle Number Plates.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 19, 2016
The list is just a guide, you re not under obligation to swallow it, most car owners are just too lazy to do price check.

Apart from saving some cash goin out to do price checks on car parts helps u become better acquanted withh the car parts.

Helps u know what they look like, it also gives u an idea as to how affordable or available the parts are.

Eg a 2005 camry owner ought to know how the brake pads for the car looks like, or a 1995 jetta owner should know what type of clutch the car uses.

If u can't check prices for ur car, don't complain when the mechanic charges u extra for doing it.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Spells(m): 6:10pm On Jun 19, 2016
Dude, let's first know da kinda car, then we can have a say better... if it's a trailer then no doubt It might reach 70k...
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by DonX001: 8:34pm On Jun 19, 2016
Peacefultosin:
Ok, noted. What part of Lagos are you in?
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Stylo1: 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
kaeforum:
The list is just a guide, you re not under obligation to swallow it, most car owners are just too lazy to do price check.

Apart from saving some cash goin out to do price checks on car parts helps u become better acquanted withh the car parts.

Helps u know what they look like, it also gives u an idea as to how affordable or available the parts are.

Eg a 2005 camry owner ought to know how the brake pads for the car looks like, or a 1995 jetta owner should know what type of clutch the car uses.

If u can't check prices for ur car, don't complain when the mechanic charges u extra for doing it.

Doing a price check is definitely the only way out of all this 'high' mechanic charges even though it may be tedious.

However, I have discovered one site www.autopartz.com where I can compare the prices of various auto parts suppliers in Ladipo before I tell

my mechanic what I think about his 'expensive' price list. This eliminates all the stress of physically going to Ladipo, thus making it more

convenient.

By the time I confront my mechanic with the average price from my enquires on www.autopartz.com, he is forced to be truthful.

Although, his initial reaction would be that the price I was given for the auto parts he recommended for purchase was for an inferior auto

part,I will still stand my ground that I enquired about the right specifications of the auto part(new/toks; Taiwan/China/America/Japan;

2.4L/3.5L; Make/Model/Year; Bosch/Starlite etc)

Even though, one supplier I contact by phone tell me a lie, enquires from one or two other auto parts suppliers registered on the same site

would not be far from the truth.

I only wish the suppliers registered on the site have started populating the prices of their auto parts on the site.

This would have saved the time spent in calling them. However, that time is nothing compared to the time spent in going to the market and

also the fuel and stress saved.

It seems they cover Oyingbo and Clegg auto parts markets too.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Bokman: 11:07pm On Jun 20, 2016
Are you a mechanic or car spare parts dealer?
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Stylo1: 9:05am On Jun 21, 2016
I am neither a mechanic nor a spare parts dealer. I actually have a white collar job.

I happened to have mastered a lot about the auto parts industry because of the antics of most of our mechanics, by going to the spare parts

markets myself either to confirm that I was not being cheated, or to purchase the spare parts by myself.

Sometimes when I purchased the parts by myself, I was dealt with by my mechanic. It is either he tells me that the part I bought did not fit

my vehicle and I would have to go a second time, or he will purposely delay fixing my vehicle because his anticipated gains on the vehicle

repair has reduced.

So, I learnt the hard way as it paid off in the long run. It was much better than 'contracting' the vehicle out to a cheating automotive

technician. They will cut your throat without mercy. I was not lucky to experience many trustworthy mechanics, rewrite etc.

If you have trustworthy ones, keep them and let them handle everything for you.

Also, if you have the money send your vehicle to a modern automotive workshop like Honda place, Germaine motors workshop etc and have

rest of mind and stress.

For me, na condition make crayfish bend; the economic times are challenging. Albeit, it made me understand an industry I never studied in

university.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by kheart05: 10:09pm On Jun 24, 2016
Yes o, www.autopartz.com makes a lot of sense. You can actually verify and purchase your auto parts without hassle. Pretty innovative!!
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Peacefultosin: 10:58am On Jul 22, 2016
DonX001:

Ok, noted.
What part of Lagos are you in?

l live at Ilasamaja, Lagos.
Re: How Do You Verify Prices When Your Mech Gives You A List Worth 70k by Peacefultosin: 11:17am On Jul 22, 2016
DonX001:

Ok, noted.
What part of Lagos are you in?

Ilasamaja, Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher / Hand Drive Converted Vehicles. Your opinions. / What Happened To Izuogu’s Z-600 Nigeria Made Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.