Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! (66331 Views)

Watch Video Of Popular Ogun River That Turns Dry Land, / Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway / Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by PentiumPro(f): 6:15am On Jun 21, 2016
azundu1:

Dont mind kids who wont bother to research or use their common sense before believing any superstition. I have seen similar incident happen at a canal not long ago.

I laugh at their ignorance.

Why didn't you snap the pictures of your own experience or post a similar picture from any other place this has ever happened in the world.
Until you take a personal visit to the place and actually verify the true situation, I will advise you keep mute.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by ever811(m): 6:16am On Jun 21, 2016
SamMilla1:

Quit going to Church and channel your energy to school.
quite going to shrine and lab. Channel ur energy to church. and see how ur brain will move from ur anus to ur skull and u be able to reason like a human.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by willo4eva(m): 6:34am On Jun 21, 2016
Thanks for the enlightenment bro, I first saw this report here too => http://www.kamalsbase.com/683/endtime-wonders-a-river-dries-up-suddenly-in-lagos
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by micodon(m): 6:37am On Jun 21, 2016
OP this your post can only fool those who know nothing about Archimedes' Principle and concepts about buoyancy, upthrust and weight. The one true plausible explanation is that there's a hole caused by an earth tremor that the river flowed into.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by amuokuko: 6:43am On Jun 21, 2016
SamMilla1:

Quit going to Church and channel your energy to school. You will thank me when you get old.

But u ve being a school person yet u can't help ur family Break even...
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by creepsyme(f): 6:50am On Jun 21, 2016
azundu1:
I read this thread about Ogun river in Kara drying up suddenly. I was surprise at various speculations people were making about the incident including. See the thread here https://www.nairaland.com/3174249/ogun-river-kara-turn-dry

All of you are very funny! grin
Earth quake ko, drying up nii.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED AT THAT RIVER.

Those green grass you see are plants that grew by the riverbed, they were either uprooted in very large quantity by the river current at various locations and carried by the flowing river. Due to some possible barricade under the bridge, the grasses could not flow across and thus causing the very large pile of the grass.

Due the pressure by the flowing water and the inability of the grass to cross the obstacle under the bridge, the large pile of grass was so tick that people could even walk over it with the water flowing under it.

With time, if the blockage under the bridge was not forcefully pushed by the weight of the accumulated grass or removed by someone, the grass will decay and gradually flow away and the water will become visible again.

So this explains why you have water flowing on one side of the bridge and the other a very pile of grass.

Hope you now understand the mystery behind the dried up water.

Source: Personal experience from similar incidents around canals.
Tnks. its not even a mystery afterall its just a natural phenomenom.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by fkj950ax(m): 6:56am On Jun 21, 2016
The Op post is exactly what happened at Ogun River on Saturday.

The river didn't dry up, it's just covered up by that specie of "grass". (It's not grass, but a type of vegetation/plant).

Even the Government has issued an official statement explaining what happened and the danger of people milling around the river.

Saying the post is poo, and calling it a theory and all ain't exactly a fair thing to do.

The Op post is backed by reasoning, logical explanation and the corroborated by an official government statement.

Lots of post here are plain arm chair reasoning...

Dear Op, don't be bothered about the negative comments. Just a lot of people with access to data subscription, a smartphone and NL account. No depth of knowledge and critical thinking.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by fkj950ax(m): 6:58am On Jun 21, 2016
micodon:
OP this your post can only fool those who know nothing about Archimedes' Principle and concepts about buoyancy, upthrust and weight. The one true plausible explanation is that there's a hole caused by an earth tremor that the river flowed into.

The entire side of a river flowed into a hole.

And green vegetation grows all over the river bed in minutes.

Seriously...

3 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by shiftback: 7:18am On Jun 21, 2016
bejick:

Shaiiiii there is god ooooo. When you saw people riding bicycle on top. You here telling me of water under water lilies.
See HIPPOPOTAMUS walking on water hyacinth you're here saying bicycle.
Hippos can weigh up to 9000pounds, that's like the weight of 20 big show(the wrestler) put together. Whats the weight of those people riding on a bicycle please?

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by deavicky(m): 7:21am On Jun 21, 2016
If impediments under the bridge stopped the weeds from moving, it there means, at the other side of the bridge the water should be visible. Was there anything like that?
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by macaranta(m): 7:22am On Jun 21, 2016
agabusta:

OPs explanation is very logical! Are u aware that the River flow is from the supposedly dried area??

Yes, the river is flowing from this direction. If the River is indeed dried up, then why is there water flowing away at the other side of the bridge?

Does it not seem logical to u too, that if indeed the River is dried up, then there will not be a flow at the other end.

The simple explanation to this is simply that the River is still flowing beneath the compacted layer, and this is what constantly supply the other side with a continuous flow of water.

Okay...well u can't say much about the situation since I haven't had an on the stop assessment.Tho I know that river and for it to look like what the pictures I see,then we should at least know where sure amounts of grass is coming from.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by olayinkajnr(m): 7:23am On Jun 21, 2016
chiefkpokp:
@op i support that guy that thinks u are high on weed, infact u r a dreamer, I didnt snap the picture, i was there koro koro, i was coming from Benin to Lagos, closed to Kara, we saw a lot of people running to the bridge to take a look, the scene was as if its was riot, as vehicles, transporters, were parking just to see for their self,i was inside god is good bus, we shouted for the driver to park let see, its happens just within 5mins, the water just dry up, turned into gree, what i mean dry land, i mean dry land.... people started running inside and callin it field, u are coming here to tell us, dis and dat, just to receive notice me. that thing is nothing but spiritual, anyone that will come here and tell me, other thing other than spiritual, na slap.

Because you were in a God is Good bus, i wont say anything else than ask how was your trip sir? Hope you enjoyed your journey

cool
chiefkpokp:
@op i support that guy that thinks u are high on weed, infact u r a dreamer, I didnt snap the picture, i was there koro koro, i was coming from Benin to Lagos, closed to Kara, we saw a lot of people running to the bridge to take a look, the scene was as if its was riot, as vehicles, transporters, were parking just to see for their self,i was inside god is good bus, we shouted for the driver to park let see, its happens just within 5mins, the water just dry up, turned into gree, what i mean dry land, i mean dry land.... people started running inside and callin it field, u are coming here to tell us, dis and dat, just to receive notice me. that thing is nothing but spiritual, anyone that will come here and tell me, other thing other than spiritual, na slap.

Because you were in a God is Good bus, i wont say anything else than ask how was your trip sir? Hope you enjoyed your journey
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by jide333(m): 7:37am On Jun 21, 2016
St u p id l iar!! I dogged it with a shovel just to prove it wasn't just d grass that cover it via the blockage. Maniac plz come on here and tell d truth not spitting lies cos u knw ppl on here will always blv lies without doing their findings. That's a mirracle from who knws God or no God its a mirracle. Ogbeni find another lie tell people u hear? Oloshi oniranu

azundu1:
I read this thread about Ogun river in Kara drying up suddenly. I was surprise at various speculations people were making about the incident including. See the thread here https://www.nairaland.com/3174249/ogun-river-kara-turn-dry

Those green grass you see are plants that grew by the riverbed, they were either uprooted in very large quantity by the river current at various locations and carried by the flowing river. Due to some possible barricade under the bridge, the grasses could not flow across and thus causing the very large pile of the grass.

Due the pressure by the flowing water and the inability of the grass to cross the obstacle under the bridge, the large pile of grass was so tick that people could even walk over it with the water flowing under it.

With time, if the blockage under the bridge was not forcefully pushed by the weight of the accumulated grass or removed by someone, the grass will decay and gradually flow away and the water will become visible again.

So this explains why you have water flowing on one side of the bridge and the other a very pile of grass.

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by alujonjonkijon: 7:41am On Jun 21, 2016
im amazed.is it not a fact that Julius Berger has resumed work on the lagos ibadan expressway ,especially in that axis of kara bridge.why didnt it occur to any that in order to carry out the necessary works ,Julius Berger dam the water flowing into that kara axis up up the channel?
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by chiefkpokp(m): 7:42am On Jun 21, 2016
who goes dere?
olayinkajnr:

cool

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by shiftback: 7:43am On Jun 21, 2016
deavicky:
If impediments under the bridge stopped the weeds from moving, it there means, at the other side of the bridge the water should be visible. Was there anything like that?
Yes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 21, 2016
micodon:
Hmmmm....awon ti Archimedes. I hail o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by maasoap(m): 7:51am On Jun 21, 2016
ever811:
if I say ur name is Linus,u won't like it..so grass don turn to concrete abi? I did not witness it,but from the pictures I saw,I can only advice u not to contest with lai Mohammed cause he has been warning femi not to take his position..
Actually, he was right. I read the eyewitnesses accounts earlier, I mean the people who were there when the grasses started flowing in and how a canoe with passengers in it almost trapped by the grasses.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by shiftback: 7:53am On Jun 21, 2016
jide333:
St u p id l iar!! I dogged it with a shovel just to prove it wasn't just d grass that cover it via the blockage. Maniac plz come on here and tell d truth not spitting lies cos u knw ppl on here will always blv lies without doing their findings. That's a mirracle from who knws God or no God its a mirracle. Ogbeni find another lie tell people u hear? Oloshi oniranu

River beds aren't exactly a flat surface.
Can you go back there at your earliest convenience and dig again? This time dig up from the middle of the ex-river and take pictures/videos, whatever it is you discover you'll be shutting a lot of people up.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by maasoap(m): 7:53am On Jun 21, 2016
Besides, is it during heavy raining period that a river will dried up? Researchers (lecturers) from different Nigeria Universities have said the same thing about this incident.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by olayinkajnr(m): 8:00am On Jun 21, 2016
chiefkpokp:
who goes dere?

Someone that likes GIGM
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by Tedassie(m): 8:06am On Jun 21, 2016
For the water plants/grasses to be able to hold up the weight of objects&people sufficiently,it means there's possibly some cohesive force that perhaps culminated from the accumulation of sand,silt or debris that could have been carried by water currents and deposited along with the grasses to that supposedly shallow region.

#mytake
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by proffemi: 8:10am On Jun 21, 2016
azundu1:

Those green grass you see are plants that grew by the riverbed...

OP, thank you for doing something that too many Nigerians just refuse to do: think critically. One really didn't need to visit the site to guess that something like this was at work. Hint: water flowing on the other side of the bridge [From where? Obviously from underneath the mass of greens].

I scroll through the responses to your post, and -as a teacher- I'm just amazed. Corruption fights back, we know, but apparently, ignorance fights back even more viciously!

Don't mind some mental midgets o.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by agabusta: 8:17am On Jun 21, 2016
deavicky:
Yes of course. And even flowing sef.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by OjukwuWarBird: 8:18am On Jun 21, 2016
tchidi:
This side of the river gets its source from the Ogun river and feeds the other side of the bridge.
Now, the side with. The source is dry and the side it's feeding is full with canoes paddling everywhere? Haba!! undecided undecided

What do you think is the cause.?
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by OjukwuWarBird: 8:20am On Jun 21, 2016
micodon:

Most likely scientific reason but unfortunately, no one felt any earth tremor on that day
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by OjukwuWarBird: 8:22am On Jun 21, 2016
shiftback:

See HIPPOPOTAMUS walking on water hyacinth you're here saying bicycle.
Hippos can weigh up to 9000pounds, that's like the weight of 20 big show(the wrestler) put together. Whats the weight of those people riding on a bicycle please?

You be illiterate I swear. Abeg check that picture wellawella cheesy
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by OjukwuWarBird: 8:25am On Jun 21, 2016
jide333:

You went there with a shovel.? You are a potential scientist if truly you did that.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by azundu1(m): 8:34am On Jun 21, 2016
Those who are very lazy to research will also say this Kisumu Harbour in Kenya dried up. grin

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by jessykings(f): 8:39am On Jun 21, 2016
azundu1:

I did a bit of research on dis and from what i've seen so far I think 'grass' isn't d right word to use. The river is infested by water hyacinth, a kind of invasive aquatic plant (or weed) that clog water ways and form dense impenetratable mat on water surface.Their rate of proliferation on fresh water surface is extremely rapid and they can grow so dense that humans can even walk on them despite having water flow freely underneath them. Again, what u said about 'd grass growing by the riverbed and getting uprooted and then it's inabilty to cross the obstacles' , I don't really think that xplains it. Like I said,these plants are aquatic, they can live and reproduce freely on d surface of freshwater and can be ancored in mud. What we should be more concerned about is the effects of these plants on aquatic life, they block photosynthesis and oxygen from getting into the water they are covering hence leading to loss in aquatic lives (eg fishes) and provides breeding places for mosquitoes. If we are to wait for the plants to dry up so that d water underneath will be exposed then we might have to wait for a longtiime while d plant keeps multiplying. Rather measures should be taken to destroy and control it's spread.Here are some pix for better understanding

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by ancientbanana: 8:49am On Jun 21, 2016
logica:
Ogbeni the attack is in your mind. Who are you to me? If you were the type willing to learn, you would do so without any twisting and turning; trying to defend a position that isn't tenable.
I never said u attacked me. Read well
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by spiralwedge(m): 8:51am On Jun 21, 2016
Who pushed this to fp?

You mean the dry land path i saw on video near the bridge is photoshopped?

If you believe this, im sorry for you. To fully explain this, you must go there and investigate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hippo Killed In River Benue / Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) / Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.