Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,312 members, 7,811,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU (49052 Views)

Grace Mugabe's Cars Stopped From Leaving Zimbabwe. Photos / Political Diagram Of Brexit And The EU / David Cameron Resigns As Prime Minister After Britain Votes To Leave EU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by smileysmiley(f): 3:38pm On Jun 24, 2016
oga op leave this big big grammar, the only thing I want to know is if it'll weaken their currency... our naira really needs that now
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by smileysmiley(f): 3:38pm On Jun 24, 2016
oga op leave this big big grammar, the only thing I want to know is if it'll weaken their currency... our naira really needs that now

theoneJabulani
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by richidinho(m): 3:47pm On Jun 24, 2016
refiner:

Hope you know how to play ball ooo...

Because your name sounds Brazilian...

Hahaha...
Ofcourse grin
My team mates do call me Ronaldinho cos i play like him, but my name is Richard, so i prefer they call me Richidinho
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by refiner(f): 3:53pm On Jun 24, 2016
richidinho:

Ofcourse grin
My team mates do call me Ronaldinho cos i play like him, but my name is Richard, so i prefer they call me Richidinho

Nice one...

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by Maleeq(m): 3:59pm On Jun 24, 2016
OMG! Why are they leaving? Where would they now go to? I hope they are not coming to Africa o? We have out own issues already.

grin cheesy
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by richidinho(m): 4:01pm On Jun 24, 2016
refiner:

Nice one...
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Na so?
Hope you will luv to marry a footballer? A good one like me

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by silentshots: 4:16pm On Jun 24, 2016
theoneJabulani:
The process of leaving the EU will take years

A Brexit vote is not legally binding, and there are a few ways it could theoretically be blocked or overturned. However, as the BBC notes, "it would be seen as political suicide to go against the will of the people as expressed in a referendum."
Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union establishes the procedures for a member state to withdraw from the EU. It requires the member state to notify the EU of its withdrawal and obliges the EU to then try to negotiate a withdrawal agreement with that state.
A Brexit vote, however, does not represent that formal notification. That notification could take place within days — for example, when EU member countries meet for a summit that is scheduled for June 28 to 29. Or British officials might wait a few months to pull the trigger.
Once Britain invokes Article 50, it will have a two-year window in which to negotiate a new treaty to replace the terms of EU membership. Britain and EU leaders would have to hash out issues like trade tariffs, migration, and the regulation of everything from cars to agriculture.
In the best-case scenario, Britain may be able to negotiate access to the European market that isn’t that different from what it has now. Norway is not a member of the EU, but it has agreed to abide by a number of EU rules in exchange for favorable access to the European Common Market.

This is democracy, the will of the people yet we can't hold a poll for Biafra smh
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by lebete3000: 4:17pm On Jun 24, 2016
goldfish80:
Well,in the short term apparently, the pound’s value dropping so much means that the UK is no longer the 5th largest economy in the world – in a nicely symbolic move, they’ve been overtaken by France.
Unfortunately an awful lot of people were voting leave because of Xenophobia and Islamaphobia and ‘Them brown people taking our jobs and bombing us’. Or as someone put it ‘we just let them in and they go around raping who they want’. Which is just so beyond uninformed it’s unreal.There have also been a lot of people using this opportunity to vote as a ‘Bleep You’ to the conservative party and the ruling elite. Whilst actually having no or very little information on what the benefits/disadvantages of leaving the EU would be. I’m not sure that a lot of these people realise that whether we stay or go they will be getting shafted regardless.

Lols at shafted....
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2016
so Britain too wan gain independence from thier colonial masters the europians grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by theoneJabulani(m): 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2016
bogolobango:
@theoneJabulani Mr copy and paste the effects will be on both sides and for me England has not nothing to lose like that so called country called france

So bros u need rest
don't be a rat's a$$, 1 the credits to the article was there and 2 the article was an original writeup by myself on that website
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by macaranta(m): 4:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
Interesting for the Uk
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by W3irDo: 4:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by W3irDo: 4:47pm On Jun 24, 2016
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by donhils: 5:04pm On Jun 24, 2016
England won't play in Euro 2020?
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by Adunbi70(m): 5:07pm On Jun 24, 2016
A Europe without Britain would be an hollow hemisphere. I had suspected that the Brexit wolf cry would sound when London kept to the Pound rather than the Brussels' Euro this past decades.

What now would happen to a NATO without the overbearing influence of Westminster? How would a politically and economically divisive NATO quench the forays and expansive ambitions of Vladimir Putin on the eastern flank? If a united EU couldn't rescue Crimea and protect Kiev, how would they put to check terror prone Islamic fundamentalists that are hoarding in from Syria through the gateways of Turkey?

I think the British Brexit voters are just being paranoid. They want to keep their jobs and shoo away unwanted immigrants; and then live in peace. That was the same thought Neville Chamberlain had whilst he negotiated with Adolf Hitler in 1939. But did that stop the blitzkrieg on London?

Britain has been the preferred leader for Europe since the Spanish Armada. She attained her best glories at the defeat of Germany, coupled with her consistent economic rise since the '50s. But the world is still as fragile as it was pre Cold War. So, if the British thoughts and ambitions are only parochial and at best provincial in the midst of rumbling dangers from Islamic State and a newly winged Russo - China alliance, then the balance of powers of this millennium would be tilted, and generations to come would blame the Brexit voters, if the nuclear war heads are ever launched from the conquered mountains of Syria and Iraq by Islamic Sate and/or by their allies from annexed Crimea.
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by davide470(m): 5:13pm On Jun 24, 2016
CoCoLav:
I may be wrong but I'm guessing the Paris and Brussels attacks had a lot of impact on the people's decision.
True, but the main tussle is Turkey attempting to be a part of the EU.
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by ukandi1(m): 5:52pm On Jun 24, 2016
how has EU togetherness benefited Africans ? abeg make them shift. why are we even discussing them ? make we change topic to and fayose and APC jaree

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by ukandi1(m): 5:55pm On Jun 24, 2016
davide470:
True, but the main tussle is Turkey attempting to be a part of the EU.

to what end ?
are they trying to flee from Arab stronghold rooted in d middle east Asia ?
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by Deeldorado: 6:32pm On Jun 24, 2016
Tycike:
Now those eastern Europeans that frustrated my life when I was studying in UK will know what it is to be an immigrant.
Seriously? Bros, how did they frustrate your life cause I'm planning to go study in the UK. If the UK is that unfriendly, make I find better place go o.
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by davide470(m): 6:33pm On Jun 24, 2016
ukandi1:

to what end ?
are they trying to flee from Arab stronghold rooted in d middle east Asia ?
Well, Turkey have been known to be correlated with ISIS, arguably though.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 24, 2016
so no more champions league and Europa cup 4 them
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by vislabraye(m): 7:07pm On Jun 24, 2016
quickly:

No be by force to go dubai. that island is so small but over populated.

What tipped the scale is the mass migration of syrians into germany and france. they will ultimately find there way to UK.

What is suprising is why the syrians didnt go to saudi or dubai which is there brothers land
No mind those useless people. They hate Christians and will not hesitate to bomb Christian countries but they don't go to their fellow Arabs angry . Dem come dey spoil things for boys.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by loswhite(m): 7:27pm On Jun 24, 2016
martineverest:
pounds have already started plummenting on a 32 year record low.

Britain attracted investors due to eu policies,with this referendum,investors are likely going elsewhere...samsung,LG are planing to move their europe headquaters away from britain:google,apple and microsoft are already planing to do so......huge tax paid by compaanies will also worsen the situation.

Premiership will find it harder to buy players from other european league,due to hostility and high exchange rate....other leagues will find it cheaper to buy from epl due to favourable xchange rate.......xpect unfavourable ucl draws for epl teams.

Since scotland and northern ireland want to join european union,expect disintegration of united kingdom into smaller countries.

There might likely be another referendum to reverse this ugly one
beer parlor analysis
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by Tycike: 7:32pm On Jun 24, 2016
onila:
how did they frustrate you
While studying I was working part time to get extra cash. I worked as a warehouse operative for Asda, 99% of their staffs were eastern Europeans and full blown racist. Always gave the Africans the hardest job.

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by bummygee: 7:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
This is really serious.
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by sitibemfen(m): 9:27pm On Jun 24, 2016
In nigeria, the lesson is that, no one can be forced to remain in a relationship that is not symbiotic in nature. Can nigeria be so civilised to conduct a referendum on its unity? I doubt. Nigeria's union is not working, yet when solution of restructuring is profered, fear grips some. If that fear is not confronted today, time will tell.

2 Likes

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by efficiencie(m): 12:30am On Jun 25, 2016
theoneJabulani:
Brexit will cause problems for Britain's economy:

In the short run, uncertainty about Britain’s future relationship with the EU, its largest trading partner, could push the UK into a recession. Market watchers predict an "explosion of volatility" on Friday morning as the markets process the implications of Britain’s exit. Many economists expect both the British stock market and the pound to open lower on Friday morning. Britain’s chancellor of the exchequer, George Osborne, even hinted that he could suspend stock market trading if Britons voted to exit the EU.
In the long run, the situation could be worse. If Cameron’s government falls, Britain’s prospects of negotiating a favorable deal with the EU could be weakened. The EU may decide to strike a hard bargain to discourage other countries from leaving the EU. Or the UK’s new leader might not be willing to accept the kind of restrictions that come with a Norway-style deal.
And that could create serious problems for businesses based in the UK.
"If you are Nissan or some other car producer with major production in the UK, today, the same safety standards and environmental standards allow you to sell everywhere in the European market," Jacob Funk Kirkegaard, an economist at the Peterson Institute for International Economics, told me. But if the UK leaves the EU, "you would no longer be able to sell into other European markets, not because you face a small tariff but because you'd have to go through another set of safety certifications. This kind of thing would be repeated in every industry you can think of."
Critics say the economic effects could be large. The UK government has estimated that exiting the EU could cause the British economy to be between 3.8 and 7.5 percent smaller by 2030 — depending on how well negotiations for access to the European market ultimately go. Other reports have found smaller but still significant impacts.

Now knowing fully well the economic consequences of an exit, the Brits still prefer to leave...well it goes on to suggest that the perceived non-economic benefits of leaving clearly outweigh the perceived economic costs of leaving...This says something of the changing social welfare function of the Brits and how non-economic rewards weigh marginally higher than economic rewards!

Dem don chop belle full!!!

1 Like

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by EreluY(f): 9:38am On Jun 25, 2016
[size=14pt]Truly, 'Crowns and Thrones perish; Kingdoms rise and wane'. This vote is already triggering a call for another Scottish referendum as well as a referendum for a United Ireland. If Northern Ireland and Scotland leave, can we still describe this Kingdom as "United"? And, will Britain still be Great? Not sure how we got here today - an attempt to close the borders of Britain? A country which itself explored and exploited a borderless world (the Commonwealth) only some two centuries ago? What goes around truly comes around.[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by quickly: 2:10pm On Jun 25, 2016
Also turkey is about to become EU member. And turkey has over 1m Syrian Muslim refugees.

Guess where most of them will end up?...UK

And based on the old arrangements they cannot be deported based on EU human rights law
Re: Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU by wildikeman(m): 7:57pm On Jun 26, 2016
Well what does this mean for us Nigerians. Is what I want to know... Since even when America sneezes and we catch the cold

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Brazilian Nurse Plunges 70ft To Her Death In Unsafe Water Park Accident / Liberian President Whines Waist, Jumps Up As He Dances To Buga Song (Pix, Video) / Boris Johnson Officially Resigns As UK Prime Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.