Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East (6628 Views)

"Foreigners Were Used To Win The 2015 Presidential Elections" - Reno Omokri / Doyin Okupe: I Knowingly Lied During The 2015 Presidential Campaign / Why Jonathan Lost Presidential Election – Former Deputy Senate President, Mantu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 4:22pm On Jun 28, 2016
Former president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan lost the presidential election because he acted like a political bigot

When former president Goodluck Jonathan contested the previous presidential election he won in most part of the country and met the statutory requirement of the law, defeating former head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari retired, a fulani man from the North and other candidates.

President Goodluck Jonathan enjoyed the sympathy of the generality of Nigerians from all nook and cranny in the country by appealing to their emotions when he made public, a story of how he used to trek to school without shoes. Another good reason he won the election was that he portrayed himself as a detribalized Nigeria, which made the Yorubas and Hausas to vote for him en masse      

However during the 2015 presidential election. There was a lot of drama which snowballed into an overt defeat to the incumbent president. some of the melodrama are discussed below:

One of such drama was the sudden change of name from President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to President Goodluck Azikiwe  Ebele Jonathan.

There is the saying that you do not change a winning team, So why did he change the winning name? He changed his name in other to have a block vote from the South East and he got it. However this parochial and miscalculated move portrayed him as a tribalist, a political bigot and egocentric politician, because he did no consider the South West and the North.

Jonathan an Ijaw man and a legitimate free born from The Niger Delta area in the 2011 elections, suddenly became illegitimate and a lost slave in the 2015 elections and was adopted by the people from the South East.

Virtually everyday prior to the 2011 elections, on tv, you would see people from the South East and South South dancing with Ibo and Ijaw regalia and eulogising the president Goodluck Jonathan, giving a wrong impression to other part of the country that Jonathan had spent all Nigerian resources in these areas. To the extent that Igbo actors in Nollywood mobilized and openly campaigned for Jonathan while pouring insult on Buhari From the North. Some Igbos even accused Buhari of arresting their brothers who were into cocaine business when he was the head of state. There was no moderation, wisdom or even morality in their onslaught.

On 1st October 2010, there was a bomb blast in Abuja during the 50th independence anniversary celebrations. The then president Jonathan without proper investigation came out on air to exonerate his people, giving a wrong impression that people from the North were responsible, however, few hours later MEND- Movement For The Emancipation for Niger Delta claimed responsibility for the blast. The major player. Henry Oka was later caught.

All these point of view above point to the fact that the former president Goodluck Jonathan lost the presidential election due to over association with the South East (Igbo) which are a significant minority and he did it without wisdom. Yorubas and most Northerners voted for Jonathan in 2011 because they felt he was from Niger Delta but when he added Azikiwe to his name during the 2015 elections they concluded that Jonathan was an Igbo Man. So they changed their mind, because most people from the North and South East are not convinced yet that Igbo people are mature enough or even ready to rule Nigeria.  Don't forget the issue of Biafra still lingers in the heart of most Nigerians especially the Notherners. Igbo people unfortunately are not even helping matters by trying to redeem their image. Take for example on nairaland Igbos are very quick at supporting and defending people with questionable characters such as Bukola Saraki, Sambo Dasuki, Nnamdi Kanu, Ayo Fayose, Olisa Metu. Majority of Nigerians will not vote for such people. If Jonathan was a good politician he would have added a Mohammed or a Fashola rather than an Azikiwe.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 4:25pm On Jun 28, 2016
The first map is a reflection of the 2011 presidential election result
The second map is that of the 2015 presidential election result.

The green area represent the area won by Jonathan in 2011 and 2015 elections while the red and blue area represent the area won by Buhari in the 2011 and 2015 elections

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by madridguy(m): 4:32pm On Jun 28, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by Ebubeslym(m): 4:33pm On Jun 28, 2016
Why can't some people let matters die a natural death?
Why cry more than the bereaved?
Did GEJ cry to you for succour?
What you have failed to mention in this obviously jundiced analogy is the fact that if GEJ decides to come out for an elective position again in Nigeria, the SE will still give him block votes irrespective of who he is contesting against.
That's how they roll.
And please stop bringing up this issue and creating unnecessary threads just to whip up tribal sentiments, i believe GEJ has moved on... You should too.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by aloeman15(m): 4:43pm On Jun 28, 2016
Moving on is sensible, but history is imperative.
Ask christians and muslims why they keep 'reliving the past', as it were.
At topic-
Gej lost because, as we now know, many of those who were supposed to campaign for him simply pocketed the funds in their care.
Classic stab in the back.
A case of one caesar and many bruti.
Ebubeslym:
What you have failed to mention in this obviously jundiced analogy is the fact that if GEJ decides to come out for an elective position again in Nigeria, the SE will still give him block votes irrespective of who he is contesting against.
That's how they roll.
And please stop bringing up this issue and creating unnecessary threads just to whip up tribal sentiments, i believe GEJ has moved on... You should too.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by yarimo(m): 4:47pm On Jun 28, 2016
And @Op how come he won the 2011 election?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by Tunechi1(m): 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2016
I hope dis dos not generate to tribal fight
Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 6:53pm On Jun 28, 2016
yarimo:
And @Op how come he won the 2011 election?

President Goodluck Jonathan enjoyed the sympathy of the
generality of Nigerians from all
nook and cranny in the country
by appealing to their emotions
when he made public, a story of
how he used to trek to school
without shoes. Another good
reason he won the election was
that he portrayed himself as a
detribalized Nigeria, which made
the Yorubas and Hausas to vote
for him en masse

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 7:22pm On Jun 28, 2016
Ebubeslym:
That's how they roll.

I wrote this article because of the love and respect I have for the Igbo people. This is supposed to be a wake up call for Igbo people to redeem their image before they are considered outcast in their own country. I believe there are Igbos with good marals but they are not airing their openion. They have allowed miscreants, the corrupt and people who should be behind bar to be their spoke persons. This is very bad. People with such attitude will not be allowed to lead this country. Jonathan had to learn this the hard way.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by zendy: 7:35pm On Jun 28, 2016
GEJ did not lose because of the name Azikiwe. He lost because the opposition parties managed to come together under the APC banner. In previous elections, the opposition never could come together to form a mega party. Simply put, much of the North and Southwest were not happy with GEJ. I'm still glad that I never voted for Buhari and APC. GEJ and PDP may not have been the best but APC is much worse

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by overall90: 7:38pm On Jun 28, 2016
The singular most important factor why GEJ lost the 2015 general election is Boko Haram.
I know a lot of peeps from the SW and NC who voted for Buhari not BC they have anything against GEJ but they believe that once he is elected,that BH will seize,not BC he is going to lead the fight as he boasted,but BC Boko Haram once appointed him as their chief negotiator and so they believed he knows one or two things about them.
Any other factor or factors are just secondary.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by zendy: 7:40pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

I wrote this article because of the love and respect I have for the Igbo people. This is supposed to be a wake up call for Igbo people to redeem their image before they are considered outcast in their own country. I believe there are Igbos with good marals but they are not airing their openion. They have allowed miscreants, the corrupt and people who should be behind bar to be their spoke persons. This is very bad. People with such attitude will not be allowed to lead this country. Jonathan had to learn this the hard way.

Outcast in their own country? You really think if majority of Igbos had a choice, they would want Nigeria to be their own country? Most Igbos no longer feel like they have any vested interest in Nigeria, so they don't really care if they are regarded as outcasts or not

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by MrPresident1: 7:52pm On Jun 28, 2016
The truth is that it is the Igbos hat made GEJ to lose the 2016 election. Had the Igbos been wise and politically savvy, building bridges and no walls agains Jonathan, Jonathan may have won that election. Igbos misused Jonathan.

There is no contiguity or affinity between Yoruba and Fulani, all through history, the Fulanis have sought to subvert the Yoruba race, and they have continually failed.

When the time is ripe, and the scales fall off from the eyes, the marriage of strange bed fellows will collapse completely irrevocably and irreversibly.
Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by overall90: 7:53pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

I have been trying to make sense out of this your write up .
I want to know how it's the SE fault that GEJ chose to add Azikiwe to his name.
to cure your ignorance,GEJ name is actually Azikiwe.it was a name given to him by his grandmother after Dr Azikiwe the then president just the same way Amaechi's father named him Rotimi after the legal icon FRA Williams.and now that Amaechi is having a fall out with his political base of Rivers State,should we now blame the Yorubas.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by kettle84(m): 8:02pm On Jun 28, 2016
Tunechi1:
I hope dis dos not generate to tribal fight
GEJ lost because Nigerians needed change. Many Igbo's didn't vote.As it is right now, the entire middle belt,southeast, south south ,Christians of south west and Christians from other areas have lost faith in Buhari this is due to the Fulani heardsmen,economic failure and marginalization and islamisation of all institutions of the Nigerian system. Buhari can not win any election without rigging.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 8:11pm On Jun 28, 2016
zendy:

Outcast in their own country? You really think if majority of Igbos had a choice, they would want Nigeria to be their own country? Most Igbos no longer feel like they have any vested interest in Nigeria, so they don't really care if they are regarded as outcasts or not

That is why I said Jonathan made a very big mistake for over associating with the South East because Igbos are fighting to leave Nigeria. He should have associated with patriotic tribes like Yorubas or the Hausas. Biafrans are like outcast

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by ElCount: 8:19pm On Jun 28, 2016
What kind of sick analogy is this? Or you just want to massage the ego of your fellow zombies?
For you info whether GEJ added Azikiwe to his name or not didn't change anything common sense would have told you that EBELE was already an igbo name. Adding Azikiwe was his prerogative and he is totally entitled to it.

I know you will stop at nothing to whip up sentiments to portray ur hate for the SE but this thread is only portraying how stewpid and hopeless you are? God have mercy on you
A piece of advice though take your mind out of anything SE or you will continue seeing South Eastern masquerades chasing you whenever you close your eyes
#EWU

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 9:51pm On Jun 28, 2016
zendy:
GEJ did not lose because of the name Azikiwe. He lost because the opposition parties managed to come together under the APC banner. In previous elections, the opposition never could come together to form a mega party. Simply put, much of the North and Southwest were not happy with GEJ. I'm still glad that I never voted for Buhari and APC. GEJ and PDP may not have been the best but APC is much worse

With the way Igbos are behaving today do you think Nigerians will ever allow an Igbo president, I believe you know the answer is no. So why associate with a group that Nigerians don't trust

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by fabre4: 9:53pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:
Former president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan lost the presidential election because he acted like a political bigot

When former president Goodluck Jonathan contested the previous presidential election he won in most part of the country and met the statutory requirement of the law, defeating former head of state, General Muhammadu Buhari retired, a fulani man from the North and other candidates.

President Goodluck Jonathan enjoyed the sympathy of the generality of Nigerians from all nook and cranny in the country by appealing to their emotions when he made public, a story of how he used to trek to school without shoes. Another good reason he won the election was that he portrayed himself as a detribalized Nigeria, which made the Yorubas and Hausas to vote for him en masse      

However during the 2015 presidential election. There was a lot of drama which snowballed into an overt defeat to the incumbent president. some of the melodrama are discussed below:

One of such drama was the sudden change of name from President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan to President Goodluck Azikiwe  Ebele Jonathan.

There is the saying that you do not change a winning team, So why did he change the winning name? He changed his name in other to have a block vote from the South East and he got it. However this parochial and miscalculated move portrayed him as a tribalist, a political bigot and egocentric politician, because he did no consider the South West and the North.

Jonathan an Ijaw man and a legitimate free born from The Niger Delta area in the 2011 elections, suddenly became illegitimate and a lost slave in the 2015 elections and was adopted by the people from the South East.

Virtually everyday prior to the 2011 elections, on tv, you would see people from the South East and South South dancing with Ibo and Ijaw regalia and eulogising the president Goodluck Jonathan, giving a wrong impression to other part of the country that Jonathan had spent all Nigerian resources in these areas. To the extent that Igbo actors in Nollywood mobilized and openly campaigned for Jonathan while pouring insult on Buhari From the North. Some Igbos even accused Buhari of arresting their brothers who were into cocaine business when he was the head of state. There was no moderation, wisdom or even morality in their onslaught.

On 1st October 2010, there was a bomb blast in Abuja during the 50th independence anniversary celebrations. The then president Jonathan without proper investigation came out on air to exonerate his people, giving a wrong impression that people from the North were responsible, however, few hours later MEND- Movement For The Emancipation for Niger Delta claimed responsibility for the blast. The major player. Henry Oka was later caught.

All these point of view above point to the fact that the former president Goodluck Jonathan lost the presidential election due to over association with the South East (Igbo) which are a significant minority and he did it without wisdom. Yorubas and most Northerners voted for Jonathan in 2011 because they felt he was from Niger Delta but when he added Azikiwe to his name during the 2015 elections they concluded that Jonathan was an Igbo Man. So they changed their mind, because most people from the North and South East are not convinced yet that Igbo people are mature enough or even ready to rule Nigeria.  Don't forget the issue of Biafra still lingers in the heart of most Nigerians especially the Notherners. Igbo people unfortunately are not even helping matters by trying to redeem their image. Take for example on nairaland Igbos are very quick at supporting and defending people with questionable characters such as Bukola Saraki, Sambo Dasuki, Nnamdi Kanu, Ayo Fayose, Olisa Metu. Majority of Nigerians will not vote for such people. If Jonathan was a good politician he would have added a Mohammed or a Fashola rather than an Azikiwe. 

Your post here portrays you as a tribalistic bigot and a political illiterate

Jonathan lost because Nigerians saw buhari as a viable alternative

he lost because he was sabotaged by members of his party and betrayed by northerners

he lost because APC and buhari was the popular opinion among the Western and northerners who represent much of Nigerian population

he lost because Nigerians lost faith in him coupled with APC strategic propaganda

Jonathan associated with the northerners more than the Easterners during this his last tenure

Op mention one project completed by Gej in the south east

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 10:00pm On Jun 28, 2016
overall90:
The singular most important factor why GEJ lost the 2015 general election is Boko Haram.
I know a lot of peeps from the SW and NC who voted for Buhari not BC they have anything against GEJ but they believe that once he is elected,that BH will seize,not BC he is going to lead the fight as he boasted,but BC Boko Haram once appointed him as their chief negotiator and so they believed he knows one or two things about them.
Any other factor or factors are just secondary.

Maybe that is why Igbo and Niger delta militant are bombing pipeline to distract Buhari. Bokoharam is still there which means Buhari is an innocent man.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by zendy: 10:00pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

That is why I said Jonathan made a very big mistake for over associating with the South East because Igbos are fighting to leave Nigeria. He should have associated with patriotic tribes like Yorubas or the Hausas. Biafrans are like outcast

Personally, I don't even see the point of the post of president of Nigeria. Nigeria has not moved foward since the end of the war. Those that have held the office of president are even in a worse or same situation as those who have hardly held it. Everwhere is a mess. The office of president of Nigeria is a useless office that helps nobody

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 10:22pm On Jun 28, 2016
fabre4:

Your post here portrays you as a tribalistic bigot and a political illiterate

Jonathan lost because Nigerians saw buhari as a viable alternative

he lost because he was sabotaged by members of his party and betrayed by northerners

he lost because APC and buhari was the popular opinion among the Western and northerners who represent much of Nigerian population

he lost because Nigerians lost faith in him coupled with APC strategic propaganda

Jonathan associated with the northerners more than the Easterners during this his last tenure

Op mention one project completed by Gej in the south east

I am not saying Jonathan did much in any part of Nigeria. What I am saying is that he over associated with them. Ok what do you say about Jonathan adding Azikiwe to his name? That made the Yorubas and Notherners to think Jonathan is for the South East only.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by fabre4: 10:39pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

I am not saying Jonathan did much in any part of Nigeria. What I am saying is that he over associated with them. Ok what do you say about Jonathan adding Azikiwe to his name? That made the Yorubas and Notherners to think Jonathan is for the South East only.

yaradua didn't add an Igbo name to his for Igbos to vote him massively at the expense of ojukwu don't take it personal but Yoruba's and northerners must be really daft if they voted Jonathan out because of that name remember buhari answered okechukwu but that didn't make Igbo's vote him Nigerians are naturally sentimental or tribalistic when choosing leaders and Igbo's felt more safe with Jonathan

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by michelz: 10:46pm On Jun 28, 2016
OP,your post is massively flawed.
I don't even know where to start in correcting you. You even said somewhere up there that Southeast people are minority. Really? Southeast?
Your problems are complex: (1)disappointment in the present state of things after voting in your "messiah"
(2) Unhealthy obsession on SE/SS people
(3) Ignorance
(4) Listening to beer parlor gists.
Use your time productively.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by tyhgfrdeswscbhf(f): 10:57pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

Maybe that is why Igbo and Niger delta militant are bombing pipeline to distract Buhari. Bokoharam is still there which means Buhari is an innocent man.
Y do

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by tyhgfrdeswscbhf(f): 10:59pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

I hate

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by PFRB: 11:05pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

With the way Igbos are behaving today do you think Nigerians will ever allow an Igbo president, I believe you know the answer is no. So why associate with a group that Nigerians don't trust
The best thing would have been to kill all Igbos so that you will be happy in your country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by mycar: 11:05pm On Jun 28, 2016
Jobless folks on the loose again, Gej added Azikiwe on his name before 2011 election and he did win the election, why would that be attributed to his lost in 2015?

Can't believe that someone could spend his precious time writing rubbish of this sort.

Common sense did not tell you that Nigeria was lied to, Nigerians were made to believe that GEJ was clueless and incompetent.

Anyways, enjoy your change and leave GEJ alone, you did not vote for him, don't blame anybody for your own mistake, be man enough to own up to your own mistake so you can learn from it.

Meanwhile, I don't monitor foolish threads like this, hence do not expect my follow up posts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by americanigga(m): 11:07pm On Jun 28, 2016
tyhgfrdeswscbhf:

I hate u Yorubas with passion...no tribe can ever trust u people

You cannot say that about the Yorubas. At least they are patriotic. But Igbos want Nigeria to break yet they want to be president. Igbos are the ones not to be trusted

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by fulanimafia: 11:08pm On Jun 28, 2016
MrPresident1:
The truth is that it is the Igbos hat made GEJ to lose the 2016 election. Had the Igbos been wise and politically savvy, building bridges and no walls agains Jonathan, Jonathan may have won that election. Igbos misused Jonathan.

There is no contiguity or affinity between Yoruba and Fulani, all through history, the Fulanis have sought to subvert the Yoruba race, and they have continually failed.

When the time is ripe, and the scales fall off from the eyes, the marriage of strange bed fellows will collapse completely irrevocably and irreversibly.

Can you add substance to this ridiculous claim?

From business to politics to religion to cultural compatibility, both have more than less in common.

Don't even think of bringing up the Illorin angle.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by Twistaray(m): 11:14pm On Jun 28, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin

Soooo funny but true to say the least.

Lmaooooo
Re: Jonathan Lost The 2015 Presidential Elections Because Of The South East by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jun 28, 2016
americanigga:

And what have ur useless Nigeria achieved without an Igbo President?
An underdeveloped cesspit of a backward country.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Forwards 2021–2023 MTEF/FSP To Senate For Approval / Buhari To Grant Scholarship To 3 Best Young Nigerian Scientists - Ogbonnaya Onu / Tinubu Cannot Walk Or Stand Erect. (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.