Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death (25022 Views)

Albert Obazee Turns Racist Asking An Igbo Hawker To Go To His State / British Government Releases Official Statement On Ibori's Deportation / KAI Officials & Soldiers Clash In Ojuelegba, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by stefan388: 9:53am On Jun 30, 2016
Justdulla:

Very unreasonable post you made..is the government supposed to provide job for everyone?? or did the government cause the mass influx of citizens to lagos state everyday...What is wrong is wrong,stop spewing thrash online abeg... If you cant reason objectively,then think theoritically.
Your brain, I mean, the part of human brains in your brain is exactly like that of Buhari and his ear that was blown open by avengers. I think you should as well travel to Abuja and cure it otherwise the way you reason will remain the same. After reading the version of the Lagos state government, are you not cooled? Ok, just listen to yourself. Is government supposed to create job? Influx of people to Lagos bla bla bla. If you have travelled to very big cities, you will not think that there is over influx in Lagos. Even if there is high population in Lagos, must the government kill people and lie because they belong to apc government that is the most dangerious liers in the world.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by jaydee87(m): 9:54am On Jun 30, 2016
willyo:

Thanks a lot for your time and constructive ideas... I really appreciate, But:
So many craftsmen are jobless and don't even have a start-head due to conditions i percieve u wld undstand

The man in question cld even be one of those who may have had a craft or trade but cld meet the requirements for a start due to the nature of our ways of life and the economic situation of this country

Conducive avenues are not being put in place before the total elimination of this struggle to make ends meet from the streets

The rich doesn't even know if it hurts... Feel blessed when u're not in such situations...

Look at your leaders and u wld be disappointed
I really like your point but I differ in view cos if u learnt a trade u will always be employed. it might not come regularly but u will be, u can patch ur tent with seniors in the same trade till u strong enough to be on ur own... if u a mechanic look for them and work ith them, if a fashion designer look for them,hairdresser, gardner,etc... u will always find them.. street hawking is dangerous and needs to be reduced... life no get duplicate...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by stefan388: 10:12am On Jun 30, 2016
sarrki:
Na who i go believe sef
Am very suprised about your question as to who to believe when even the unburn child knows that Buhari's apc can never tell any truth.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by tayo200(m): 10:21am On Jun 30, 2016
d deed has been done already..rip boy
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Okijajuju1(m): 10:21am On Jun 30, 2016
izzou:

And have mercy on you also

Dont just hide behind the keypads of your phone and just because you know the law, and have access to the internet, you write whatever you like

Lol.. "I said God have mercy on 'US' All.. I believe that includes me or am I wrong?

I wasn't and still not hiding. This is a Forum. You are behind a computer screen or a Phone as well so whats the point of this comment? I also didn't write whatever I liked, I simple told you the hard truth with regards to the Law. If you don't like it, take it up with your local law maker..

izzou:
How many agberoes have been arrested by KAI? Oh sorry, the aren't participating in Indiscipline

Muddling up issues will not help your cause. Agberoes and street hawkers are all nuisances to the society. On the day in question, they were not after Agberoes. If it was an Agbero that got killed yesterday by KAI, you may have asked how many Armed Robbers have they caught. This is a slippery slope to no where. Focus on the incident of yesterday so we don't lose focus of what we are discussing here.

izzou:
I pass iyana oba everyday. KAI trucks are stationed there and they dont chase anybody. Maybe their Iyaloja has settled them but because this poor boy didnt have a family or isnt REGISTERED, he deserves a hot chase.

I don't do maybes and ifs and buts.. Those are speculations and there is no limit to what we can all speculate.

What you and I and sure of however is that: Street hawking is illegal and punishable by either a 5000 Naira Fine or 3 Months imprisonment or both as per the laws of Lagos. The KAI is tasked with checking the activities of street traders/hawkers, jay walkers, e.t.c... On the day in question, a KAI officer was chasing a Street Hawker who whilst running to evade arrest got knocked down by an oncoming vehicle which resulted in his death.. These are facts we both are sure of.

izzou:
Looking at reality, some people are not fortunate like you to go to school, or be informed. And there is a family to feed. So your candid advice to that person who needs to eat tonight is to start learning a trade. Maybe in 6 months he will be done and by then, his landlord must have thrown him out. What will be his survival means during those periods?

Looking at reality, there are ways for people to make money from the streets on Nigeria without learning a trade or doing anything illegal. Hawking is just one of the thousands of others, unfortunately it is Highly risky and very illegal when done within the Lagos Metropolis and on Federal Highways within City limits. A lot of Nigerians are actually participating in them daily. An example is that Aboki that fetches water in jerrycans and supplies to homes daily. That is not illegal. Another is the Man that works on construction sites as a laborer daily. the list goes on and on. In Alaba Market, there are many who work as runners... They own no store or goods but bring customers to people shops for a token. The list plenty.. All you have to do is think...

izzou:
Dont just lie down on your chair and type. Go out and hear people's problems. You will get a better opinion on why the stupid law against hawking should be abolished.

You don't know me that well.. I understand the struggle. Maybe when you get robbed in traffic once, you will have a different view on street trading. Maybe when you run over one of them, you will see why it should be banned. Street Hawking is a major environmental pollution generator, an extremely dangerous endeavor and carries a high security risk factor. That is why is should remain illegal.

izzou:
The law can be structured in a way whereby the hawkers pay tax to the government and are made to clean up the highways. Thats better

Thanks for your writeup sha

I can agree with you that it can be structured and regulated by the government. If we put our minds to it, we can better streamline it. Maybe create a Hawking lane with a low speed limit that is enforced. It would be very costly to implement but it sure is doable. [/b]

Thanks for the response.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by loopman: 10:25am On Jun 30, 2016
Okijajuju1:
[size=15pt]Having a logical and reasonable debate on Nairaland keeps getting tougher and tougher each day.[/size] Its like most of the Nigerians on this thread thrive in just being ignorant and the reach of their reasoning is pretty limited.

Yesterday so many people challenged the fact that there was actually a law against street trading in Lagos (and many other Nigerian State capitals). Now that the lagos state government has again reiterated that street hawking/peddling is illegal, the arguement is about if the hawkers should rather resort to being armed robbers. grin grin grin

Now the foolishness of this line of reasoning can be seen when looked at like this: So all unemployed struggling young persons in Nigeria are either hawkers or robbers. grin There is no other option to making money for the unemployed except to be an illegal street trader, A Criminal Armed robber or an illegal street begger. grin grin grin There is no other business one can do in this nation of over 150 million people to make money when unemployed with no money to make money... REALLY?!!!!

So to those of you on here holding on to this line of argument, this is it extent of the depth of your reasoning to making money when you are unemployed with minimal cash.

iGiveUp for the second time on this thread.. I really do.

#GodBlessNigeria&HaveMercyOnUsAll...

That is the reason the quality of comments here has gone ridiculously low. What we have here nowadays are tribal bigots and political party supporters taking over every topic to vend and sell their jaundiced opinion.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by zelaws: 10:54am On Jun 30, 2016
In as much as I am not in support of the acts of vandalism nor disobeying the constituted authorities. I must say that this statement issued by the Lagos state government via the commissioner lay more emphasis on our love for material things "the govenment assets". No part of the statement show remorse or sympathy for the lost life of a man (the hawker). It simply shows that materialism is valued above life by the government.
A show of compassion towards the dead will not reduce the punishment to be meted out to the hoodlums and vandals but will go a long way to showing our government's deepest regret that a life was lost in the act of carrying out the expected law duties by the state.
It is so sad.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Codes151(m): 11:09am On Jun 30, 2016
Justdulla:

Very unreasonable post you made..is the government supposed to provide job for everyone?? or did the government cause the mass influx of citizens to lagos state everyday...What is wrong is wrong,stop spewing thrash online abeg... If you cant reason objectively,then think theoritically.

What makes u think the post is unreasonable? Yes! U have a point and so does the other! *The govt can't create jobs for all* *the govt should* till tomorow the govt has a huge part to play! Everyone can't be self employed! Huge citizens? Who's fault? In a country way a man can generate 15 kids or abi ghost workers?

Govt has a huge part to play! We have to also give our best n try alternatives.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Zaramdgreat(f): 11:22am On Jun 30, 2016
Lagos state nd its unreasonable laws....God help d ppor
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by iceblueofficial(m): 11:30am On Jun 30, 2016
sadWell I go lile advice d lagos state special advicer and gorvanor 2 look into una law enforce stuffs well well and tink about it be4 makin it a law tink of d long faulty misconduct govenance by by our money loundrin politicians,pls put your self in d masses shoes and examin wot dey are passin through d lagos state government said dem done make provisions 4 modern market but d mases can't affort d shops cuz na d rich fit rent am,pls don't let us be hipocrets let's call a spade a spade,dis people leave there forma market bein converted 2 modern market for which dey can't afford,make una build economic market if e go ordinary shade like,interlockin floors and fenced,toilets no serious infrastructures dis might not exist in d so called white countries but it wil be d first 2 happen in nigeria,dis is africa let see tinz 4rm defferent aproach and improvice and invent new ideas and solutions not usin white mans way cuz dere problem is far better dan ours,our own problem is worse!PLS DO NOT 4GET NA Dis PEOPLE VOTE UNA iN.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by reachycul(m): 11:58am On Jun 30, 2016
princeofpeace22:
Wetin dey this Lagos sef angry , Calabar is so peaceful cool
av u been to calabar south bfor
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Igbo20(m): 12:06pm On Jun 30, 2016
jst say the truth kai officials are chasing the innocent poor boy who is tryin to find means of surviving.maybe the boy is a galla seller.hungry KAI
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by reachycul(m): 12:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
willyo:

Thanks a lot for your time and constructive ideas... I really appreciate, But:
So many craftsmen are jobless and don't even have a start-head due to conditions i percieve u wld undstand

The man in question cld even be one of those who may have had a craft or trade but cld meet the requirements for a start due to the nature of our ways of life and the economic situation of this country

Conducive avenues are not being put in place before the total elimination of this struggle to make ends meet from the streets

The rich doesn't even know if it hurts... Feel blessed when u're not in such situations...

Look at your leaders and u wld be disappointed
kudos u both av a point but d important tin is dat we shld try n obey d rules n regulations

1 Like

Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Klington: 12:09pm On Jun 30, 2016
why can't govt tackle rudimental problems instead of chasing shadows always. no place for d ordinary Nigerian in the govt,not even in the streets... u hustle, govt go arrest u n call u miscreant u no hustle, people n d same govt go label u lazy Nigerian....
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by pipeewa(m): 12:38pm On Jun 30, 2016
Things have been hard a long time. You go through them one at a time. I once hawked all sort of stuffs for my mum. She warned me not to step on the road. I am talking of street not even on the express. Well I am still alive today and ok. Stepping on the express to hawk things is suicidal and must be stopped. No matter how hungry and bad things could be you are not guaranteed of your live. I scream at times when driving when I see hawkers bend, run beside trucks and they don't even bother. As if they have tow lives.

most times we compare our country with developed nations. This is where you don't step on the road without a pass. If you stray into the express without a pass you could be arrested for jaywalking. If a motorist sees you in the middle of the road they stop for you to pass. This has reduced accident to a minimum. We shd support the government at all levels so we can achieve a better live for us all. If there were no traffick there won't be hawkers on the road. So if the roads are good and no traffics we won't encourage unemployed souls to go stand where speed limit is between 80 and 110kph. If pple must hawk things while Naija is getting there, let them do it in places that are safe. RIP to lost soul.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by bedfordng(m): 2:23pm On Jun 30, 2016
as usual
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by 7lives: 2:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
izzou:

You can be more reasonable

You sound educated. Just add a little common sense and you will be perfect

Thank you

Which common sense?, you mean vicious cycle like having twelve kids in the village and throwing them around to make a nuisance of themselves in Lagos or kids growing up to repeat the nonsensical practices of their parents?.
The problem with Nigeria is not even unemployment, its about DUMB AND DUMBER parents who are already living in penury, having dozens of children whom they unleashed on those who are smart enough to minimize their exposure to poverty by choosing QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
I will recommend that anyone catch in the illegal act of street trading in the prohibited area should be sent to jail, at least 2 years to serve as deterrent to others.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by izzou(m): 2:49pm On Jun 30, 2016
7lives:

Which common sense?, you mean vicious cycle like having twelve kids in the village and throwing them around to make a nuisance of themselves in Lagos or kids growing up to repeat the nonsensical practices of their parents?.
The problem with Nigeria is not even unemployment, its about DUMB AND DUMBER parents who are already living in penury, having dozens of children whom they unleashed on those who are smart enough to minimize their exposure to poverty by choosing QUALITY OVER QUANTITY.
I will recommend that anyone catch in the illegal act of street trading in the prohibited area should be sent to jail, at least 2 years to serve as deterrent to others.

Thank God you arent in power

We would have preferred Buharis grave over your own government.

Thank God
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by OBAGADAFFI: 5:39pm On Jun 30, 2016
Okijajuju1:
Having a logical and reasonable debate on Nairaland keeps getting tougher and tougher each day. Its like most of the Nigerians on this thread thrive in just being ignorant and the reach of their reasoning is pretty limited.

Yesterday so many people challenged the fact that there was actually a law against street trading in Lagos (and many other Nigerian State capitals). Now that the lagos state government has again reiterated that street hawking/peddling is illegal, the arguement is about if the hawkers should rather resort to being armed robbers. grin grin grin

Now the foolishness of this line of reasoning can be seen when looked at like this: So all unemployed struggling young persons in Nigeria are either hawkers or robbers. grin There is no other option to making money for the unemployed except to be an illegal street trader, A Criminal Armed robber or an illegal street begger. grin grin grin There is no other business one can do in this nation of over 150 million people to make money when unemployed with no money to make money... REALLY?!!!!

So to those of you on here holding on to this line of argument, this is it extent of the depth of your reasoning to making money when you are unemployed with minimal cash.

iGiveUp for the second time on this thread.. I really do.

#GodBlessNigeria&HaveMercyOnUsAll...

Remember there was a law making movements illegal on Saturday sanitation day, but today that law has been relax by the government.

The same way KAI don't go about arresting newspaper vendors, for hawking their papers, because they know the media will go after them.

But i am not surprised by your elitist comments.

That is the behavior of the most Nigerian Elites, they blame the poor and downtrodden for the problem they create.

The same way Foshola made a law banning Okada and Area Boys in Lagos.
But he chooses to implement the law on Okada, and ignored the Area boys.

Very soon the-same government will make laws control social media activities an people like you will clap for them.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Okijajuju1(m): 5:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Remember there was a law making movements illegal on Saturday sanitation day, but today that law has been relax by the government.

The same way KAI don't go about arresting newspaper vendors, for hawking their papers, because they know the media will go after them.

But i am not surprised by your elitist comments.

That is the behavior of the most Nigerian Elites, they blame the poor and downtrodden for the problem they create.

The same way Foshola made a law banning Okada and Area Boys in Lagos.
But he chooses to implement the law on Okada, and ignored the Area boys.

Very soon the-same government will make laws control social media activities an people like you will clap for them.

Now it's about me being Elitist.. grin grin grin

You will never stop.. That's for certain. grin

Hawking is illegal and dangerous. If you get caught, you will face the music.

You have conviniently failed to address the dangers of Hawking on highways.. Do you have a statistics of how many hawkers get runover yearly nationwide?
Last year, a hawkers toes got run over by a car in traffic, the Man driving the car was beaten to a Coma by other hawkers and his car completely vandalised.

You have also coyly ignored discussing the Environmental pollution aspect of Hawkers. Hawkers are the number one contributors to littering which leads to blocked drainage which then leads to flooding.

What about the fact that robbers and thieves now masquerade as Hawkers to vandalise and rob people's vehicles in traffic?

Look, if my pointing out the laws on hawking and the dangers associated with hawking makes me Elitist then I am Elitist. Proudly so..

If Hawking is the only hussle that these people can engage in then they should all be arrested. I say so because the life we save by their arrest may just be theirs like this case proves.

If you can't see that the dangers far outweigh the benefits then that's your problem. Until the day you get a car and accidentally run over a highway hawker..

Shey after the ban on Okada, those riders found other sources of livelihood? Some took their Okada business away from the metropolis into the smaller streets and rural areas where it is legal and continued. Have you died since Okada was outlawed?

Please go and rethink your post and if you can't see beyond this shallow point you made, then I'm sorry but let's agree to disagree and keep it moving.

Hawking remains illegal and if you know anyone involved in it, advise them to seek alternative source of livelihood.

Thanks..

Okija Juju (Elitist 1 and Most High Priest of Nairaland).
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by Twy: 6:02pm On Jun 30, 2016
Unecessary press release, talk about how sorry a life is lost due to the actions of your officials. Every week ppl die at the hands of the law enforcement but at least don't start out blaming the victims.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by OBAGADAFFI: 7:21pm On Jun 30, 2016
Okijajuju1:

Now it's about me being Elitist.. grin grin grin

You will never stop.. That's for certain. grin

Hawking is illegal and dangerous. If you get caught, you will face the music.

You have conviniently failed to address the dangers of Hawking on highways.. Do you have a statistics of how many hawkers get runover yearly nationwide?
Last year, a hawkers toes got run over by a car in traffic, the Man driving the car was beaten to a Coma by other hawkers and his car completely vandalised.

You have also coyly ignored discussing the Environmental pollution aspect of Hawkers. Hawkers are the number one contributors to littering which leads to blocked drainage which then leads to flooding.

What about the fact that robbers and thieves now masquerade as Hawkers to vandalise and rob people's vehicles in traffic?

Look, if my pointing out the laws on hawking and the dangers associated with hawking makes me Elitist then I am Elitist. Proudly so..

If Hawking is the only hussle that these people can engage in then they should all be arrested. I say so because the life we save by their arrest may just be theirs like this case proves.

If you can't see that the dangers far outweigh the benefits then that's your problem. Until the day you get a car and accidentally run over a highway hawker..

Shey after the ban on Okada, those riders found other sources of livelihood? Some took their Okada business away from the metropolis into the smaller streets and rural areas where it is legal and continued. Have you died since Okada was outlawed?

Please go and rethink your post and if you can't see beyond this shallow point you made, then I'm sorry but let's agree to disagree and keep it moving.

Hawking remains illegal and if you know anyone involved in it, advise them to seek alternative source of livelihood.

Thanks..

Okija Juju (Elitist 1 and Most High Priest of Nairaland).

Did you just pulled the stats for this from your bombom.

How come newspaper hawkers are not hunted down like other hawkers.

By the way, the same touts banned with Okada riders are still operating undeterred.

Okay, Okada and hawkers are filths to the society, but touts and area boys are the great one's.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by robbertnas: 8:43pm On Jun 30, 2016
[quote author=Justdulla post=47049444]
Very unreasonable post you made..is the government supposed to provide job for everyone?? or did the government cause the mass influx of citizens to lagos state everyday...What is wrong is wrong,stop spewing thrash online abeg... If you cant reason objectively,then think theoritically.[/quote u are so sentimental in yr speech,do u know aw much a shop cost,government wil build a shop for masses at the rate of #300,000 how many people can afford dat, God shld make a way for us,the different between the poor and d rich is too much.
Re: Lagos Releases Official Statement On How KAI Officials Chase Hawker To Death by mapet: 8:47am On Jul 01, 2016
Omoluabi16:
I have a buddy who was a street hawker in the tough streets of Aba. He's a 2:1 graduate now. Now I ask what is the alternative? Street hawking was deemed 'illegal' by this government because of their crazed ambition to make lagos a mega city. Street hawking is not a criminal activity..when the government has failed to meet up to its responsibilities, of course the citizens will act otherwise.

People go on about skill acquisition and all.But where is the structure? I t doesn't have to be so difficult just to survive..we Can't absolve the Government of any blame.

1. Please, stop flaunting needless stats that bears no correlation to the discussion. what is the link between your friend getting 2:1 and street hawking?
2. Street trading hawking had been deemed illegal since the 80s. The latest review in Lagos State was in 2003. So what are you on about this govt ambition to make Lagos a mega city? Right from the military era in the early 80s street trading had been deemed illegal.
3. I think it is advisable to use google to get more knowledge before spewing ignorance. Street hawking is deemed a criminal activity, even by UNICEF as it is runs contrary to Child Right Acts. Street hawking is illegal in many states in Nigeria, from Lagos, Ogun....to Edo....Rivers.... Kaduna
4. A rejoinder to another vague statement of yours is What responsibility in this context did govt fail to meet? That t Whahe government did not provide public schools where education is free?
5. You even introduced a ridiculous question asking what structure wrt skill acquisitions. We do know that aside from government, there are traditional means of apprentiship and skill acqusition that many of the people can go through. Lagos State boast of well organised and robust structure in skill acquisiton, with many centers spread over all LGAs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atiku: "Darkness Awaits Us If We Do Nothing About These Attacks..." / Lagos Assembly Speaker Visits Woman Whose Husband Flee Over 3rd Time Twins (Pic) / Mega-City: Lagos Ranked Alongside NewYork & Beijing (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.