Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

Elechi Amadi Is Dead - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Elechi Amadi Is Dead (49120 Views)

Elechi Amadi And His Wife, Priye Iyalla-Amadi In Nairobi, Kenya / Literary Icon And Author Of 'the Concubine' Elechi Amadi, Dies At 82 / Foremost Writer Elechi Amadi Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elechi Amadi Is Dead by adioolayi(m): 8:42pm On Jun 29, 2016
ONE of Africa’s finest novelist, poet and dramatist Captain Elechi Amadi died Wednesday at the Good Heart hospital in Port Harcourt at the age of 82.

A member of the family , Bar Wabueze Amadi, confirmed the development to the Vanguard newspaper on phone, saying he passed on at about 3: 45pm at the hospital.

The late captain Elechi Amadi was among the first generation of African writers and novelists.

Some of his works  include The Concubine, The Great Ponds, Isiburu, Sunset in Biafra, Dance of Johannesburg, Peppersoup, The Road to Ibadan, The Slave , Estrangement and the Woman of Calaber.

He celebrated his 80th birthday in Port Harcourt, in 2014 releasing a souvenir edition of one of his plays, Isiburu to mark his 80th birthday.

He was born on 12 May, 1934 in Aluu community, Ikwerre local government area.

He attended Government college , Umuahia and went to the University college, Ibadan where he bagged a BSc degree in Physics and Mathematics.

He served in the 3rd Marine Commandos of the Nigerian Army. He was first Commissioner for Education in the old Rivers state and also served as Commissioner for Lands and Housing

He had several honours to his credit. He was Fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Education and a Member of the Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria .

He was awarded a honorary doctorate degree by the University of Port Harcourt in 2011.

He was abducted by unknown gunmen in 2008 and later released after some days in their custody.

He lived in his community, Aluu until his death.

The Director General, NIMASA, Dr Dakuku Peterside described him as a great Nigerian who will be greatly missed.

His words, “Captain Elechi Amadi, certainly was a man of many parts who touched lives in many ways. And he will be remembered for good by many people who met him physically or through his books. He was a well known author, publisher, soldier and statesman who was concerned about a better society.

“My generation will definitely remember him more for his great books like the Concubine, the Great Ponds, Sunset in Biafra, Estrangement, the Slave and a collection of poems.

“It is regrettable that Amadi passed away at a time when Rivers, our dear state is still far away from the aspirations of its founding fathers like him and most sons and daughters of the state. There is no doubt that Elder Elechi Amadi and other founding fathers will be weeping in their graves at the state of Rivers State. Nigeria and the international literary community has lost a creative giant.

“The departed patriot, no doubt, had a remarkable life and he will surely be remembered for serving humanity with literature and his interventions.

May his soul find eternal rest in the Lord.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/06/elechi-amadi-dies-82/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by adioolayi(m): 8:54pm On Jun 29, 2016
ijebabe , MissyB3 , Fynestboi guys come and see oooo...Elechi Amadi is no more

4 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by crestedaguiyi: 8:58pm On Jun 29, 2016
Rest with the lord old one.

It rained heavily in pH between 3 & 4 pm today

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by ClassCaptain(m): 9:01pm On Jun 29, 2016
This man will earn my respect forever with his book, the concubine....

The plot is one of the best av come across by a nigerian author.,,, The elegant style of writing by which he carried his readers along in the concubine is amazing,.

Damn,.., rip Elechi Amadi...

197 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Wenebadu(f): 9:31pm On Jun 29, 2016
RIP OUR HERO YOU HAVE MADE IKWERRE PROUD

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by OlujobaSamuel: 9:34pm On Jun 29, 2016
when I saw the caption, I was like I sabi this man now, but couldn't figure out where or when, reading through, I saw the CONCUBINE, then my memory recall sharperly sharperly, even though I can't remember a content from the novel, I can still recollect loving it so much when I read it. Will consult my library to go through that work of his again.
Thanks for having a pact in my life sir.
rest on papa/baba/ette.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Sunofgod(m): 10:25pm On Jun 29, 2016
RIP....
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 29, 2016
It baffles me with the way people are dieing everyday, Nigeria politicians still have the Gods of embezzling public funds,forgery,lies,thuggery etc

5 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Fairgodwin(m): 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
Oh my goodness, may his gentle soul rest in peace.
I remember reading his book, The Concubine, when I was pretty much younger (African Writers Series). He was one of the finest African writers - the man from Aluu. He lived a very quiet and modest life.
Once again, rest in peace Dear Mr Elechi Amadi.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
He Lived a Quiet Life cool
RIP Sir.....

4 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Sijo01(f): 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
June should come and go already.
RIP Sir.

9 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by emeka2847: 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
RIP

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by clefstone(m): 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2016
Eyah Rip.

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by amiibaby(f): 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2016
OMG..rip to the dead... Nigeria has lose yet another icon

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by babychi85: 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2016
R. I. P

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by yrret: 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2016
I remembered his book, peppersoup. But why June?

2 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by darocha1: 10:28pm On Jun 29, 2016
RIp

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by slap1(m): 10:28pm On Jun 29, 2016
What a great loss! Just this afternoon I saw his book on an online store and was thinking of ordering it. It's a pity. Your books (and hence you) will live forever.

8 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by IceMan85(m): 10:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
shocked He was a greater writer. I remember his memo about Biafran war though biased but was an eye opener. RIP sir, its a debt we all must pay someday.

This June self.....
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by SafeDavid(m): 10:29pm On Jun 29, 2016
is he different from the renowned Artist Kelechi Amadi?
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by cremedelacreme: 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2016
cry
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Daliano(m): 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2016
The Concubine was a hit back to back.From the fight between Emenike and Madume to Wakiri the chief wag to the pretty but unfortunate Ihuoma.Elechi typified story telling at its peak.

Take a bow sir and continue to rest in the bosom of the lord.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by poksmahn(m): 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2016
rip!! Remember reading the great ponds back in secondary sch..
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by lyricalpontiff(m): 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2016
He is the greatest writer in Africa, just that he is not yoruba or Igbo.

9 Likes

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Daniel058(m): 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2016
Nwoke di nko! Anaa

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by jrupa(m): 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2016
You've done well Sir...

Have some nice REST.
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Doublyu(m): 10:31pm On Jun 29, 2016
Elechi Amadi.. RIP to the greatest footballer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by Psyrus(m): 10:31pm On Jun 29, 2016
This is sad
Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by geraldgiz(m): 10:31pm On Jun 29, 2016
Month of June ,are u not tired of sucking Nigerians blood.Long life in good health shall be our portion in Jesus name

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by prof800(m): 10:32pm On Jun 29, 2016
When a tree falls...

RIP to a literary giant.

1 Like

Re: Elechi Amadi Is Dead by refiner(f): 10:32pm On Jun 29, 2016
shocked

I love this man!...

THE COCUBINE is one of my best novel,tho its end was tragic but the novel was superb!...he is one of our finest writer!

may his soul rip!sadsadembarassed

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / Love and Diamonds / Onyeka Nwelue: "A Lady Asked For Sex Before She Could Give Me Loan"

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.