Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? (20621 Views)

For How Long Can Nigeria Wait For A President Who Is Incapacitated?- Ayo Fayose / A Plan Without A Plan (can Biafra Learn From The Brexit?) / Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by olajide8(m): 6:21pm On Jul 01, 2016
The way the british economy is about to go down the drain*
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by ImpersonatorSS: 6:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
@sumborri
Brexit was destined to happen.
Britain will never be part of the EU.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by systemz(m): 6:35pm On Jul 01, 2016
modath:

Did you by any chance plan to write "anticipated"? shocked

Someone with rationale & superior knowledge talk sontin, instead of you to just waka pass with your barely adequate, you had to show yourself!! What a pity.. undecided

On Topic.....

More than 50% of the "Leavers" have been honest enough to own up to the fact that they didn't know their votes would count & they also didn't know the real story about the economics & politics..

Scare mongers did a number on them, then their innate bigotry, ignorance & misplaced /misdirected anger just capped it & sealed their fates..

I've been laughing like no man's business following news about #Bregret and the tweets are so funny however #Post RefRacism leaves a lot to be desired....

Like i will always say, i prefer a restructured Nigeria to tiny inconsiquential blobs on the map, however if go no go, Singapore, Luxemborg , Leitchensten etc may be small but they aren't doing too badly. Shebi Iceland with 300k population dumped the English ballers with their basket mouth press out of Euro 2016...

Small country in peace & prosperity beats a contraption with too much strife & wahala ... less "in house" saboteurs & destructive elements...

I swear by my b/w tv set u're a man, not woman.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by khalhokage(m): 6:42pm On Jul 01, 2016
So that's what you learned from the whole debacle? not the fact that her citizens were free to decide what they wanted regardless of whether it was a good or bad decision without being gunned down in the streets.

Even as i believe that they made the wrong decision in this matter I admire the fact that democracy prevailed, The British aren't the 1st to secede from its entanglement by way of a vote, why can't we do the same in Nigeria? Not everyone in the proposed Biafran territory is in support of secession, and it's wrong to not give them a chance to make a choice in a supposed Democratic country, instead protestors are gunned down whenever they attempt to make their voices heard.

3 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by ImpersonatorSS: 6:57pm On Jul 01, 2016
@sumborri

Britain will NEVER be part of the EU which eventually will be headed by the antichrist.

End times are here.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by tecmon: 7:22pm On Jul 01, 2016
UNIFORMITY IS NOT UNITY!!
UNITY IN ERROR IS CANCEROUS !!
UNITY IS NOT BY FORCE !!
UNITY IS BY TRUTH,MUTUAL INTEREST,MUTUAL CONSENT, AND MOST OF ALL TRUST !!

IF HAVEN'T LEARNT THAT AND YOU ARE HERE TO TEACH FLAWED ECONOMICS AND SILLY POLITICAL ANALYSIS, YOU ARE OF ALL PUNDITS MOST MISERABLE

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 01, 2016
And your entire premise is templated on a guesstimated and predicted future economic meltdown for Britain?

You can't possibly be able to tell whether Brexit is a debacle or not barely one week after it took place.

Matters of this complexion are complex, delicate and very different from your every-day local politics. Even political analysts of the finest specimen have speculated that it would take no less than five years to really determine if the decision to exit the EU was a shrewd move or not. And here you are dreaming up something entirely different. Well, it's your opinion anyway and you're entitled to one.
Let me place this on the wayside as that is not the point I'm trying to make anyway.

What I could glean from the Brexit referendum is that true democracy still exists where the voices of the people are not muffled or put on the back-burner in protection of the interests of the selfish, rudderless, common wealth-pilfering politicians.

Also part of the gleanings I could make is a government that respects the viewpoint of the majority which is in sharp contrast to what is being played out in Nigeria, which is more or less a 'demon-crazy': 'Government of the government, by the government, and for the government'. . . . .Abraham Lincoln would be so proud of us!

When I say a government that respects the two cents of those it governs, I mean in its(the British govt)thinking it necessary to conduct a referendum to determine its next step rather than dictatorially taking the decision in a vacuum.

Even though many Brits appeared to be ill-informed on the role of the EU in Britain's economic landscape, the mere fact that they were given ample and untrammeled leeway to ventilate their feelings and standpoint on a national issue is the essence and an instructive proforma of modern-day democracy to all third world countries.

How does this affect Nigeria you may ask. It does because we have been baying for change since independence and any time the national ship appears to be sailing towards socio-economic transmogrification, jactitations render it checkered, rigarmortis kicks in and eventually we lose sight of shore. Another president gets elected and BOOM! we are back to square-one, yodelling the same change mantra with little to no inroad made.

The winning-formula is simple: before you start with your anti-corruption campaign or begin to x-ray the cankerworm buffeting the trajectory of national development as you so claim to be doing . . .before anything is done in fact, one thing must be Sommum bonum in the administration of every government - and that is none other than abiding by the golden rule of 'respect for the views and opinions of the governed".

Do that and this Terra firma would be flowing with milk and honey before 2030.

Nnamdi Kalu and his brothers have avowed that this country is non-progressive, they said to carve up the nation for peace to reign.
I think any government that is not blind to the handwriting on the wall which foretokens of a disastrous civil war, and which also truly cares about those it governs would have resolved the issue with a referendum aeons ago.

I am a passive pro-Biafra activist to an extent(I am not Igbo), and that's because I have weighed the facts and stats and seen that we are too eclectic and heterogenous to function as a unified whole.

How can we make headway when the Hausa man's goals are at variance with those of the Igbo man? How can we inch toward greatness when the worldview of the Yoruba man differs from that of the Ogoni man.I am of the belief that for progressive intermingling betwixt disparate entities to be viable there must be a commonality of interest. We don't have a commonality of interest neither do we love each other enough to still be coerced to remain as a tight-knit community by a corrupt minority who are reaping bountifully from the upwelling tensions and dissonance.
It beats common sense !.

If you doubt the lack of trust, love and whatnot among us then click on any thread on NL reporting a crime. The first thing people look out for is the name of the accused(to determine his tribe), and after then, sit back and bear witness to the floodgates of epicaricacy and deriding flung wide open.

But isn't it funny how the coterie of anti-Biafra reactionaries would be quick to oppose the ways of 'The Occident' and yet virulently remonstrate against the sundering of the nation, which in reality was only a failed creation of the self-same White man(Lord Luggard).
This White man only did so out of lack of proper understanding of the dynamics involved and also for failure to carry out an exhaustive feasibility study to predetermine if over 250 very distinct ethnic groups can function as a single monolithic unit. And yet you think it is abominable to question the dictates made by a foreigner long long time ago? What happened to controlling our own destinies?

I think the anti-Biafran groups are pûssies that are merely scared of the unknown, which is the greatest of all fears. While I'm also uncertain about the outlook of this nation if independence is granted Biafra, I'm reassured by the fact that history has proven than the greatest countries of the world are only where they are as a result of series of revolutionary jumps.

To put it in a nutshell, the government should begin to pay an attentive and sympathetic ear to the cries of the chattering classes rather than pandering to the whims and caprices of the camarilla on whose say-so they got to the corridors of power in the first place.

Let's have a referendum to settle this matter once and for all. Let the people decide if they want the Ndi Igbos to remain or not. For this nation is teetering precariously on the lip of a narrow escarpment and the eventuality of a civil war is so obvious even to the 'blindest' Nigerian.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Montaque(m): 7:42pm On Jul 01, 2016
The biafrans had more time to think on their unity with nigeria, and they have many pointers to the unworkableness of the union called nigeria. When did the UK enter the EU? That they regret it is their peculiar peril, doesn't have general application.
OP, u are commiting a falacy of over-generalisation.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Ghost01(m): 7:52pm On Jul 01, 2016
Funny how some misinterprete the whole essence of Brexit. It's about Brits taking back control. It's about democracy and responsiveness. Many so-called 'experts' tend to miss this very point(s). It's not always about the economy. Sometimes, as humans, we have to sacrifice some things in order to get other things - in this case, the Brits decided to sacrifice projected growth in economy for democracy, for control.

The so-called experts keep missing the same point in the ascendancy of Donald Trump in the race to the White House.

3 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by KingsleyJohn: 7:58pm On Jul 01, 2016
The truth is that people are all rushing to criticize BREXIT, what we have seen so far is simply the initial shock born out of skepticism of business player. I strongly think people are all too fast in judging post-BREXIT England. Make no mistake the future of England lies with the inhabitants and they chose to leave EU, they have their plans, they can still reinvent themselves to retake the world like they did in the 20th century. For the records the stocks has stabilized and the conservative leaders are already jostling to take positions.

Finally, The APC came to Nigerians with so much promises, We gave them a chance, over one year and things have gone from bad to worst yet the are asking for MORE TIME, we must give England MORE TIME to prove her choice was right.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Tourshaw: 7:59pm On Jul 01, 2016
Please, can you, op, or anyone here explain the concept of brexit and biafrexit. I see them in newspapers but don't really understand.

thanks in anticipation
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by ekpesa(m): 8:47pm On Jul 01, 2016
Such is the case in Nigeria where we voted for change out of ignorance and desperation only to realise a year later that we have just done the biggest mistake of our lives.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by modath(f): 8:56pm On Jul 01, 2016
systemz:

I swear by my b/w tv set u're a man, not woman.

cheesy cheesy ... I wish.. cheesy
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Mcmoolah(m): 9:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
AndreSalvatore:
Shallow... undecided

You are a shallow thinker. Read well. The Op is making a lot of sense
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
darkenedrebel:
And your entire premise is templated on a guesstimated and predicted future economic meltdown for Britain?

It could also be based on the current developments that have been observable since the announcement that Britain will exit the EU.

The pound’s dramatic decline is the biggest impact of Brexit so far

While financial markets overall remained fairly calm Monday after last week's plunge, the sharp decline of the British pound
deepened, in what is the biggest and most immediate impact of Britain's vote to leave the European Union.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/06/27/the-pounds-dramatic-decline-is-the-biggest-impact-of-brexit-so-far/

You can't possibly be able to tell whether Brexit is a debacle or not barely one week after it took place.

Yo cannot predict the future but from the perspective of almost 50% of the British electorate, it is a debacle and its effects go beyond economic forecasting - which, by the way, tend to be bleak. I do not subscribe to the pessimist view as I know that Britain's economy is strong enough to be nagivated through the stormy waters of the transition toward a model, which will resemble the one that Switzerland has adopted.

Matters of this complexion are complex, delicate and very different from your every-day local politics. Even political analysts of the finest specimen have speculated that it would take no less than five years to really determintrae if the decision to exit the EU was a shrewd move or not. And here you are dreaming up something entirely different. Well, it's your opinion anyway and you're entitled to one.
Let me place on this wayside as that is not the point I'm trying to make anyway.

There are, as well, economist analysts who would disagree and we must also differentiate between short term, medium term and long term effects with the short term outcomes already being observable.

What I could glean from the Brexit referendum is that true democracy still exists where the voices of the people are not muffled or put on the back-burner in protection of the interests of the selfish, rudderless, common wealth-pilfering politicians.

If you think that direct democracy is true democracy and representative democracy isn't, then so be it. I will refer to this discussion later.

Also part of the gleanings I could make is a government that respects the viewpoint of the majority which is in sharp contrast to what is being played out in Nigeria, which is more or less a 'demon-crazy': 'Government of the government, by the government, and for the government'. . . . .Abraham Lincoln would be so proud of us!

Now let us have a closer look at the majority and majorities here.

The leave was won by 52% to 48% and so the government respects the viewpoint of about 50% of the population but doesn't respect the viewpoint of the other half ot the population? Let us not mention the Scottish majority who wanted to remain in the EU and the majority of young people who chose to live in a UNITED EUROPE.

This example perfectly reveals why direct democracies are a rare occurance in the developed world and representative democracies preferred.

When I say a government that respects the two cents of those it governs, I mean in its(the British govt)thinking it necessary to conduct a referendum to determine its next step rather than dictatorially taking the decision in a vacuum.

What you fail to consider is that minorities are also a part (sometimes a HUGE part) of the governed and that history has brutally shown what devastating effects the tyranny of the majority can lead to.

Even though many Brits appeared to be ill-informed on the role of the EU in Britain's economic landscape, the mere fact that they were given ample and untrammeled leeway to ventilate their feelings and standpoint on a national issue is the essence and an instructive proforma of modern-day democracy to all third world countries.

Modern-day democracies are more often than not representative democracies. Have I already mentioned it? smiley

How does this affect Nigeria you may ask. It does because we have been baying for change since independence and any time the national ship appears to be sailing towards socio-economic transmogrification, jactitations render it checkered, rigarmortis kicks in and eventually we lose sight of shore. Another president gets elected and BOOM! we are back to square-one, yodelling the same change mantra with little to no inroad made.

The winning-formula is simple: before you start with your anti-corruption campaign or begin to x-ray the cankerworm buffeting the trajectory of national development as you so claim to be doing . . .before anything is done in fact, one thing must be Sommum bonum in the administration of every government - and that is none other than abiding by the golden rule of 'respect for the views and opinions of the governed".

You could have made your point stronger without the Brexit example which does not support your viewpoint logically and convincingly. tongue

Do that and this Terra firma would be flowing with milk and honey before 2030.

That won't be enough.

Nnamdi Kalu and his brothers have avowed that this country is non-progressive, they said to carve up the nation for peace to reign.
I think any government that is not blind to the handwriting on the wall which foretokens of a drastic civil war, and which also truly cares about those it reigns would have resolved the issue with a referendum aeons ago.

Now this is a point that deserves attention and begs the question whether referendums are an effective and legitimate tool to prevent civil wars.

I am a passive pro-Biafra activist to an extent(I am not Igbo), and that's because I have weighed the facts and stats and seen that we are too eclectic and heterogenous to function as a unified whole.

It's because you don't see the power in diversity and unity and because you neglect the realities and challenges of a globalized world.

How can we make headway when the Hausa man's goals are at variance with those of the Igbo man? How can we inch toward greatness when the worldview of the Yoruba man differs from that of the Ogoni man.I am of the belief that for progressive intermingling betwixt disparate entities to be viable there must be a commonality of interest. We don't have a commonality of interest neither do we love each other enough to still be coerced to remain a tight-knit community by a corrupt minority who are reaping bountifully from the upwelling tensions and dissonance.
It beats common sense !.

Why do you focus exclusively on the differences when the similarities are so glaring?

If you doubt the lack of trust, love and whatnot among us then click on any thread on NL reporting a crime. The first thing people look out for is the name of the accused(to determine his tribe), and after then sit back and bear witness to the floodgates of epicaricacy and deriding flung wide open.

Would a re-modelling of the political system not be a more effective solution in the short and long run?

But isn't it funny how the coterie of anti-Biafra reactionaries would be quick to oppose the ways of 'The Orient', and yet virulently remonstrate against the sundering of the nation, which in reality was only a failed creation of the self-same White man(Lord Luggard) that they never forget to blame for their misfortunes. This White man only did so out of lack of proper understanding of the dynamics involved and also for failure to carry out an exhaustive feasibility study to predetermine if over 250 very distinct ethnic groups can function as a single monolithic unit. And yet you think it is abominable to question the dictates made by a foreigner long long time ago? What happened to controlling our own destinies?

The white man was ignorant, this we know. How could he not been without google? grin

On a more serious note, humans around the world used to organize themselves in smaller units which we call tribes. From there on, they started to build nations and even empires. Today, developed nations (despite the Brexit) tend to organize themselves in COMPLEX units that extend national borders and successfully so.

What we need is progress and not stagnation or even regress into tribalistic (and nationalistic) thinking and preceveing.

I think the anti-Biafran groups are pûssies that are merely scared of the unknown, which is the greatest of all fears. While I'm also uncertain about the outlook of this nation if independence is granted Biafra, I'm reassured by the fact that history has proven than the greatest countries of the world are only where they are as a result of series of revolutionary jumps.

You lump together too many people and call them pvssies. I expect more than allegations such as fear of the unknown.
It is myopic to ignore the interests of the anti-Biafrans and discount them as fear of the unknown.

Not all revolutionary jumps have proven to be profitable.

To put it in a nutshell, the government should begin to pay an attentive and sympathetic ear to the cries of the chattering classes rather than pandering to the whims and caprices of the camarilla on whose say-so they got to the corridors of power in the first place.

It goes without saying.

Let's have a referendum to settle this matter once and for all. Let the people decide if they want the Ndi Igbos to remain or not. For this nation is teetering precariously on the lip of a narrow escarpment and the eventuality of a civil war is so obvious even to the 'blindest' Nigerian.

To make matters round, let us return to Britain - and this is what I wanted to discuss in the first place - Scotland held a referndum just last year and as a result of the Brexit referendum demands a new one which shows that a referendum is not always a quick way to settle a matter once and for all. wink
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by basadenet: 9:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
Nothing... There is always a reason for something.
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Tinyemeka(m): 10:13pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
all I hear is we have the, we have the, yet no concrete proof to that effect. This is very similar with the inferior brits according to you, an over hyped sense of beclouding ill judgement about their capabilities and relevance.

If you have all those things, why is the SE not a london, why is it still the SE. Or are the skills being saved only till biafra is acheived before they are displayed ?

Oliver and wilbur wright never said we have the skills to build planes, they simply built one and proved they could. What can you all prove

Double post.
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Tinyemeka(m): 10:19pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
all I hear is we have the, we have the, yet no concrete proof to that effect. This is very similar with the inferior brits according to you, an over hyped sense of beclouding ill judgement about their capabilities and relevance.

If you have all those things, why is the SE not a london, why is it still the SE. Or are the skills being saved only till biafra is acheived before they are displayed ?

Oliver and wilbur wright never said we have the skills to build planes, they simply built one and proved they could. What can you all prove

Car manufacturing at Nnewi, rice farming and milling at Abakaliki, two of the largest commercial markets at Aba and Onitsha, Africa's largest brewery at Ngwo, Enugu, etc. I could list more for you if you need them.

3 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by ugsams(m): 10:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
malton:
OP, you are a sound somebody!

Some people just don't look beyond their noses.
Any movement that's an offspring of hate and propaganda does not get far.

Nigeria may be a contraption to some, but it's home to most.

The individual is self centred, and that selfishness dwells with them regardless where they live.

It takes benevolent leaders to promote human life and the well-being of everyone--even with those, there will still be both winners and losers among the populace. Only a few persons can achieve that. Problem is, such people are those with 0.0000000099 chances of getting into power.

Breaking Nigeria into pieces will lead to an unprecedented strife.
Assuming for instance that Biafra becomes independent and achieve the level of success that she desires, will she be able to enjoy her wealth in peace with her poor and hungry next door neighbours lurking? The poor will definitely pounce!

We sometimes make the mistake of likening ourselves to the US. Thing is, a larger percentage of the US soil is guarded by sea, which renders it not easily penetrable to foes + she has the luck of having a rich Canada next door. Despite that, Mexico still gives them a lot of headache. Can the same be said of any region in Nigeria?

To live in peace, your neighbour must be at peace. Think of Nigeria as a contract--negotiate a fair deal for yourself. The rest is fairytale.

Your fair deal could be to push for fiscal federalism or just anything. But it's a joke taken to far for anyone to think they will live in affluence while their neighbours suffer.

It's akin to a rich man living in a poor neighborhood.

There's a reason why even South Korea occasionally renders financial assistance to NK.

That said, personally I am indifferent as to what becomes of Nigeria, but for the sake of posterity and those that might be negatively affected, it calls for concern.

Ever since I've been reading posts on secession and the likes on Nairaland, I've never read an intelligent post as yours. I'll engage you on a discussion some day.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 01, 2016
PhilemonObende:

People will not live forever, monkey with guns will always shoot but Truth will always prevail. By next may, Anti-muslims Presidents would have taken power in the most powerful countries and it will be crime against humanity for Almajiris like you and your El-dullardeen to touch a bullet. grin
till then my friend
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by sbabimbola(f): 10:48pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:

Nigeria is filled with seccesionalists, take a cue from the brexit and plan before you agitate. Never wipe ur bottom before using the toilet.

#commonsense

well written..
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by kraftykc(m): 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2016
The OP tries to make a good point but he fails and woefully so at this task. All the structures and policies he believes he has pioneered in thinking that Biafrans have not taken into account were all worked out by people smarter than him several decades ago when Biafra was declared a sovereign state. I'm not saying that modern Biafra (if it ever exists) should copy and paste an archaic document but do not think you are the only one with a brain here. The British people fell for a political ruse from a hungry politician that wants to be PM, doesn't mean that the referendum is universally binding nor a legal document, any other government can come and rescind the decision.

Also this highhanded talk about "what have you done" is pretty fuckingg stupid to be honest. Nigeria is messed up and so is everything in her, the SE isn't divorced from the rest of the country and in fact is objectively noted that it suffered the most Federal neglect over time since the civil war where no buildings, infrastructure or palliative care was offered by the FG after killing so many Nigerians to keep the SE in.

Biafra is spurred by a thousand sentiments which I have identified as stemming from the government's lack of basic human decency after battering an entire region. How many crisis in the North have ravaged Igbo owned properties yet there is not ONE commission for reconciliation.

I think is OP is childish, a surface skimmer and seeking to insult but his tactics are tired and pedantic.

I'm not a supporter of Biafra in any form but I hate Injustice and piss-poor analysis, and this OP ought to have seen that the British can afford to make any mistake they choose because IT IS THEIRS TO MAKE! Stop trying to police them as if you know better than they do, because no matter the analysis you see on TV it doesn't substitute for true experience.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by malton: 11:49pm On Jul 01, 2016
ugsams:

Ever since I've been reading posts on secession and the likes on Nairaland, I've never read an intelligent post as yours. I'll engage you on a discussion some day.

Oh wow, how humbling! I appreciate.

I look forward to it. Thank you!
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jul 01, 2016
anybody not in support of d op is liable to receive insult. allow people to make mistake joor n learn from it. grow stronger n move on. UK will make it. mark my words,

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Damibiz(m): 12:09am On Jul 02, 2016
Lalastical,help me clap for this guyz,what an incojobogos,GOD BLESS NIGERIAN,much much kisses to #Haterz,
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Zakamori: 12:28am On Jul 02, 2016
I am yet to understand what the SE wants the SW to do for them. Is there a way the SW is forcing the SE to stay or preventing them from leaving. Why point fingers at everybody else? The SW doesn't have to join the SE in their hatred for the north. The SE should fight its own battles. The SW isresponsible for what it does or doesnt do. The SE should take its destiny in its hand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Olabestonic001(m): 12:58am On Jul 02, 2016
zendy:

This article of yours is misleading. The reason why Brexit won was for two reasons, sovereignty and immigration. But the main reason for leaving had more to do with immigration than sovereignty. In the case of Nigeria, the secessionists care much less about immigration than they care about sovereignty. Even with the Brexit vote, Britain can still be a part of the EEA/EEC just like Swizerland and Norway and still enjoy the benefits of the EU single market if they allow freedom of movement. But in the context of Nigeria, the secessionists see no economic benefit of being part of Nigeria, they believe that that Nigeria has stolen their sovereigntt, and, they are quite willing allow freedom of movement to an extent. To surmise, the main thing that BREXIT teaches us is that it is the right of anyone to leave any political arrangement but that the Economy and sovereignty must take precedence over immigration

let's see it this way: in a divorce, there's always a bad-blood. Go and ask Croatia and Serbia. If Ndigbo succeed in causing a divorce of Nigeria, they'll be worst off in the region. They'll have gotten a country out of hate and hate would never depart their land. After Brexit, UK will never be the same again. Immediately the queen pass away, UK will loose its influence permanently and would become like the once great country Portugal.
In the advent of a breakage of Nigeria, Igbo will loose her free movement in Nigeria. For now, you won't understand that. But, Imagine loosing a market of over 110million people out of bigotry. Don't think Nigeria will have a good relationship with a rebellious broken state. It will be very bitter. Everything will always be done to undermine their state of utopia (by sheer number of the existing structure). I hate the structure we're practicing but hate will ensure it becomes messier than you can ever imagine.
And FYI, China will be glad to take the place of the bitter Biafrans in commerce.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Olabestonic001(m): 1:31am On Jul 02, 2016
steppin:

We too ain't like South Sudan. South Sudan believe the only way to survive is through their oil.
Over dependence on oil is the reason why Nigerians are suffering right now.
Igbos do not depend on the govt and we've never depended on the govt.
If this same people can start with just 50 pounds and survive then, what makes you think we can't in this new era where everything is digitized and accounted for?

Igbos did not survived with £20 according to your insinuations. Igbo survived because Nigeria let them. Igbo has access to a market of over 120million people and they take advantage of that. If the govt of those over 120million people decides to control in-flows of people from SE, you'll understand better that Ndigbo need Nigeria even than Nigeria needs her. Today, a sense of utopia might be building due to some perceived successes built majorly on the platform of a large market force Ndigbo explore and exploit but immediately they seek for their "divorce" they'll loose the market, be repatriated home, apply as immigrant and all such stuffs. Soon, you guys will know life after divorce is more than freedom- it has its downside which interestingly is the "Stay Power" of Ndigbo in Nigeria; the big market.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by 99xtr69r: 2:25am On Jul 02, 2016
Olabestonic001:
Igbos did not survived with £20 according to your insinuations. Igbo survived because Nigeria let them. Igbo has access to a market of over 120million people and they take advantage of that. If the govt of those over 120million people decides to control in-flows of people from SE, you'll understand better that Ndigbo need Nigeria even than Nigeria needs her. Today, a sense of utopia might be building due to some perceived successes built majorly on the platform of a large market force Ndigbo explore and exploit but immediately they seek for their "divorce" they'll loose the market, be repatriated home, apply as immigrant and all such stuffs. Soon, you guys will know life after divorce is more than freedom- it has its downside which interestingly is the "Stay Power" of Ndigbo in Nigeria; the big market.

There's no need dwelling on inanities and trying in vain to mask Yoruba bile-filled hatred, bitterness and utter disgust for Igbos desiring to have a separate existence.

For a long while now you lots have threatened war against Igbos. You promised yourselves to complete the annihilation of Igbos. You vowed to confiscate Igbo properties. You keep drumming, Igboland is landlocked, sea-locked, air-locked, sunlight-locked, gravity-locked and all what not just to attempt quench the raging IPOB tsunamic movement. Yorubas have systematically burnt Igbo shops and business premises. Yorubas have used every foul means to defraud Igbos of their hard earned monies. And you still have the guts to leave the myriads of problems bedevilling Yoruba tribe to grandstand in the public with unfounded theories against the Igbo Nation.

You and your Yoruba folks have used all tricks at your disposal to attempt to quench the call for self-determination and it's not working. Yet Igbos remain undaunted and are still pressing forward against all the odds to your consternation.

FYI, IGBOS DON'T NEED YORUBAS AND THEIR COTRAVELLERS TO SURVIVE.

Many Igbos don't want to share a country with you anymore and yet you keep creating unnecessary attentions for yourselves on the internet with baseless theories of absurdity to blackmail the Igbo Nation to pitch tent with you. Your chicanery is sickening already.

It will be honourable for Yorubas to channel their energies towards consolidating OduaArewanistan republic now before it's too late.

"For Lagos State, more than 70% of the manufacturing concerns and major industries in the State are owned by the Igbos. If the Igbos were to stop paying tax in Lagos State, the IGR of Lagos State will reduce by over 60%. In contrast, Sir, go to the South East and look at the manufacturing concerns in Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi. Please don't forget those were areas ravaged by civil war a mere forty something years ago. The Igbos have certainly made tremendous progress but the Yoruba nation has regressed. I wish to state that this letter is not meant to whip up primordial considerations or ethnic sentiments but just to put things in proper perspective."
Maj. Gen Adebayo Adeyinka (rtd.)
https://www.nairaland.com/3173893/open-letter-asiwaju-bola-ahmed-tinubu

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by modath(f): 3:41am On Jul 02, 2016
malton:

Oh wow, how humbling! I appreciate.

I look forward to it. Thank you!

I clapped slowly in my mind for you... big props..
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Sunglow: 7:22am On Jul 02, 2016
Very soon the British pound will cease to exist.
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by zendy: 8:40am On Jul 02, 2016
Olabestonic001:

let's see it this way: in a divorce, there's always a bad-blood. Go and ask Croatia and Serbia. If Ndigbo succeed in causing a divorce of Nigeria, they'll be worst off in the region. They'll have gotten a country out of hate and hate would never depart their land. After Brexit, UK will never be the same again. Immediately the queen pass away, UK will loose its influence permanently and would become like the once great country Portugal.
In the advent of a breakage of Nigeria, Igbo will loose her free movement in Nigeria. For now, you won't understand that. But, Imagine loosing a market of over 110million people out of bigotry. Don't think Nigeria will have a good relationship with a rebellious broken state. It will be very bitter. Everything will always be done to undermine their state of utopia (by sheer number of the existing structure). I hate the structure we're practicing but hate will ensure it becomes messier than you can ever imagine.
And FYI, China will be glad to take the place of the bitter Biafrans in commerce.

The difference with what you wrote above is that Europe was working for Britain. Britain is the 4th richest nation in the world and was doing good business with the EU single market before they voted to leave. But in the Nigerian context, Nigeria does not work as a nation. We are getting poorer, we don't love each other and there is too much suffering. Igbos have lost so much by being in Nigeria, we lost millions in the civil war because we found our selves in Nigeria. As an Igbo man, why should the Yoruba or Hausa man hate me for leaving Nigeria? We don't like each other and have no historical connection to one another. So what's the point? Nigerias 110 million single market means nothing in a global market of 7 Billion. The Igbos have no place in Nigeria and they deserve a referendum so that they can exit Nigeria and go and govern themselves

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ike Ekweremadu Appointed Honorary Mayor-president Of The City Of Baton Rouge,usa / IPMAN Backs Fuel Hike, Says Members Will Not Be Part Of NLC Strike / 2023: It's Better North Retains Power Instead Of South West - Deji Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.