Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,685 members, 7,813,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? (20597 Views)

For How Long Can Nigeria Wait For A President Who Is Incapacitated?- Ayo Fayose / A Plan Without A Plan (can Biafra Learn From The Brexit?) / Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by delana(m): 4:28pm On Jul 01, 2016
malton:
OP, you are a sound somebody!

Some people just don't look beyond their noses.
Any movement that's an offspring of hate and propaganda does not get far.

Nigeria may be a contraption to some, but it's home to most.

The individual is self centred, and that selfishness dwells with them regardless where they live.

It takes benevolent leaders to promote human life and the well-being of everyone--even with those, there will still be both winners and losers among the populace. Only a few persons can achieve that. Problem is, such people are those with 0.0000000099 chances of getting into power.

Breaking Nigeria into pieces will lead to an unprecedented strife.
Assuming for instance that Biafra becomes independent and achieve the level of success that she desires, will she be able to enjoy her wealth in peace with her poor and hungry next door neighbours lurking? The poor will definitely pounce!

We sometimes make the mistake of likening ourselves to the US. Thing is, a larger percentage of the US soil is guarded by sea, which renders it not easily penetrable to foes + she has the luck of having a rich Canada next door. Despite that, Mexico still gives them a lot of headache. Can the same be said of any region in Nigeria?

To live in peace, your neighbour must be at peace. Think of Nigeria as a contract--negotiate a fair deal for yourself. The rest is fairytale.

Your fair deal could be to push for fiscal federalism or just anything. But it's a joke taken to far for anyone to think they will live in affluence while their neighbours suffer.

It's akin to a rich man living in a poor neighborhood.

There's a reason why even South Korea occasionally renders financial assistance to NK.

That said, personally I am indifferent as to what becomes of Nigeria, but for the sake of posterity and those that might be negatively affected, it calls for concern.
I must confess u are very intelligent with that thought u noted above. Most people don't realize that if u are the richest among the poor , u are in serious trouble.

3 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by sumborri: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2016
cosade:

Nairaland, a mannerless land?
hahahahaha, selective sight I see. You people won't cease to keep amusing me.
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by zachanalysis: 4:43pm On Jul 01, 2016
The fallout of the brexit political debacle clearly shows that it will almost likely be a political suicide to leave very sensitive political decisions to the whims and dictates of the generality of the people. If conjoined twins can have differing views over issues that affect their sensibilities, I see no reason why issues that border on the unity, common prosperity and the continued existence of people who more often than not are driven by parochial, selfish and shortsighted sentiments. Research had shown that most of the Brits who voted on the "LEAVE" side, did so without having a full grasp of the pros and the cons that are associated with their decisions. Now, this is society that pride itself as having some of the most enlightened citizens in the world. Clearly, the foul stench that the British political space has been inundated with after what may turn out to be one of the greatest political errors of our time, may just underscore the fact that leaving important political decision to an educated citizenry does not necessarily translate to the birth of a sound state policy decision. This brings to mind the ceasless clamour by some disgruntled elements who have been clamouring for a Biafra republic. If many of the "sophisticated" Brits who voted for brexit could in a matter of days agreed to have done so in great error, I'm super sure that most of those agitating for Biafra are doing so without any all encompasing logic. Many of those who have argued for Biafra are clearly intellectual vegetables. They merely talk for the sake of talk without resting their argument on the back of solid political and logical templates. They do so without asking sensible political questions such as: upon what theory of integration will the new nation or state be built, what direction its economic interraction will take in relation with the country it hopes to break away from? These among others are some the salient questions any serious country seeking to disrupt integration needs to ask. It is not just okay to yell and shout and talk for the sake of making oneself to be heard without making any sensible contribution to the subject under discourse.When that is done it amounts to what my prof described as “intellectual masturbation" because you are only getting yourself and those who think like you excited.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Churchillsaug(m): 4:46pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
to be dull is a crime against nature bro, read the topic, its a clear question. My post is a simple intro, must u be spoon fed ?
are u related to Ben Murray Bruce?

Because u made common sense

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by DMerciful(m): 4:47pm On Jul 01, 2016
So u're wiser than the majority of UK citizens that voted to leave?
sumborri:
if I say I didn't laugh at the response on the first paragraph, then hell awaits me.

The fact is that I feel them brits wanna rescinde their leave decisions but don't wanna appear silly, it made no economic sense to leave the EU, there has been an increase in xenophobic attacks since the brexit result, the UK economy isn't tied to any tangible product and thus its growth indices is heavily dependent to being a major market player, how could such come to be when they have isolated themselves from the rest of europe. Most annoyingly the leave campaigners didn't have any concrete leadership plans if the brexit went in their favour. The behaviour of the scots and possible feelers from other countries that make up the UK , show a possiblity of breaking the UK as we know it, it makes no sense to leave the EU simply because some pompous brits feel overshadowed by germany as the central power base. Yet in a UK arrangement same peeps bully others. Thus I ask, weren't other members of the UK consulted before the brexit vote ? Didnt they realise all the possible fall outs of the result ?

Same applies to seccesionalist groups like the ipob, avengers etc. It might be noble and best fit to leave the nigerian entrapption, yet its clear that what is at fore front is the aggitation and idealogical bias borne out of real or imagined wrongs. Critical issues like political, economic plans, structures and models for the new colonies or countries aren't given much attention. Most of them could acheive the seccesion and find themselves in the doldrums.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by BadIntentionz: 4:49pm On Jul 01, 2016
Tell them to come join ECOWAS, we won't worry them too much
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Saintp(m): 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
list those things you have in comparative advantage to survive. Agriculture? technology ? Oil ? Trade? Love amongst all tribes in biafra ? Please tell me the political structure of the biafran government. Would it be a federal like one? What states have indicated via a referndum to be part of the union. What are the economic plans as no nation is an island, talkmore of one with no access to the sea and undeveloped inland water ways that will criss cross another country called the SS. And yes, the SS have no business with igbo leeches

You made some very valid points but like most Nigerians you couldn't resist the lure of tribalism into it. There is no need taking a swipe at biafran seccesionists. Life is all about choices, it could turn out good or bad like we have seen in the case of south Sudan. So what you are saying is true but it is not a basis to maintain status quo. In our own case, it would. have been great to talk to one another and agree on the terms of our unity in order to entrench justice, equity and fairplay. The UK has made a choice and whether it is the right or wrong one will show up with time but one thing i like about them is thier ability to challenge the status quo.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by saintandsinnerz: 5:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
ok sir, but a small minded man has a small ass , thus my article won't enter, please in the name of God , since you are a big minded man with a likely big ass, please help me put my article there. In urs. I will collect it when I grow up. Mtcheeeeeew
Normally I don't quote tribal idiiots, but I decided to quote you just to call out your tribal bigotry. You're not qualified to write such article because you're filled with hatred against the Igbos which you exemplified by calling them "Leeches." Now how can a tribal bigot and ethnic supremacist like you be objective in this kind of matter? Now run along and consider what I said, that's shoving your half-baked, Igbo-hatred, rubbish of an article into your tribal ass

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Ariani: 5:11pm On Jul 01, 2016
"To surmise, the main thing that BREXIT teaches us is that it is the right of anyone to leave any political arrangement but that the Economy and sovereignty must take precedence over immigration"

Simple and concise.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Saintp(m): 5:13pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
they have genuine grieviances, I am igbo too. And similar to you, I have no belief in biafra because I feel sentiments has beclouded reason in that struggle. The brits had reasons they felt were genuine for the brexit, yet most of the consequences you see today were very clear from the onset, yet they didn't see it due to their egoistic sentiments on matters relating to imigration.

The EU has stated that no access to the free market if they won't allow free passage, thus if britian loses the free market , economically they will have to look overseas for business in an already chinese concnetrated markket. Yet if they succumb to the EU, then they return to square one. Thus why the brexit.

The point is that such a noble act of seccesion could be counterproductive if not based on sound unbiased judgement and people choices. The biafrans have a good cause, have they discussed life after biafra is acheived ? The answer is likely NO. Have they discussed any pertinent issues to nation building ? NO. Even many in the regions don't understand the merits or demerits of the seccesion and yet biafra is being agittated. To prevent room for regrets like the brexit. They must plan first, strategise second, model thirdly and lastly agitate

You can't be igbo and you are calling your people " igbo leeches" except you hate them so much.
The biafran issue is still lingering because we have not real and quality leadership over the years. It is because we are treating it as a non issue. If we discuss it properly and lay the cards on the table, there are chances that many people who support the idea will have a rethink. Like you said, the promoters have not done thier homework but remember there is absolutely nothing wrong in seeking to be independent.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Ariani: 5:15pm On Jul 01, 2016
Ngozi123:

This analogy makes no sense as the UK was already a sovereign nation. The direct analogy would be Nigeria opting to leave the African Union. It would have been better for you to use the Scottish referendum as a comparison to the situation we find ourselves in. The Scots are now clamouring for a second referendum...

Chai! You took this straight from my brain. You are a thief. An idea thief basically.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by agitator: 5:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
zachanalysis:
The fallout of the brexit political debacle clearly shows that it will almost likely be a political suicide to leave very sensitive political decisions to the whims and dictates of the generality of the people. If conjoined twins can have differing views over issues that affect their sensibilities, I see no reason why issues that border on the unity, common prosperity and the continued existence of people who more often than not are driven by parochial, selfish and shortsighted sentiments. Research had shown that most of the Brits who voted on the "LEAVE" side, did so without having a full grasp of the pros and the cons that are associated with their decisions. Now, this is society that pride itself as having some of the most enlightened citizens in the world. Clearly, the foul stench that the British political space has been inundated with after what may turn out to be one of the greatest political errors of our time, may just underscore the fact that leaving important political decision to an educated citizenry does not necessarily translate to the birth of a sound state policy decision. This brings to mind the ceasless clamour by some disgruntled elements who have been clamouring for a Biafra republic. If many of the "sophisticated" Brits who voted for brexit could in a matter of days agreed to have done so in great error, I'm super sure that most of those agitating for Biafra are doing so without any all encompasing logic. Many of those who have argued for Biafra are clearly intellectual vegetables. They merely talk for the sake of talk without resting their argument on the back of solid political and logical templates. They do so without asking sensible political questions such as: upon what theory of integration will the new nation or state be built, what direction its economic interraction will take in relation with the country it hopes to break away from? These among others are some the salient questions any serious country seeking to disrupt integration needs to ask. It is not just okay to yell and shout and talk for the sake of making oneself to be heard without making any sensible contribution to the subject under discourse.When that is done it amounts to what my prof described as “intellectual masturbation" because you are only getting yourself and those who think like you excited.

So in your words, EU should have decided for Britain? So you are not part of the people who want to leave and you are hear crying more than the bereaved. In order words Biafrans are not competent to be allowed to take a decision to leave. The yorubas and hausa should decide for them. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
PhilemonObende:

Just like you've been crushing and recrushing the militants every month. LWTMB.
come out in support of secession next May 30th and come tell me about it
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Ariani: 5:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
"We had a government in 1967 after Biafran declaration even through the war, so don't underestimate our capabilities. We got our currency, military, government, economy, infact it was a growing ideal state till Gowon came with his war backed by international allies who want to steal and are still stealing from project Ngeria.

Plan for yoruba, u should be ashamed that people who are landlocked are seeking for nationhood while you with all access to the sea want to die in a failed Nigeria"

You are brilliant.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by steppin: 5:25pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
take a good look at southern sudan after sseccesion with an abdundant oil reserve. What has happened there? Why do you think it will be differnet in the biafran case
sumborri:
take a good look at southern sudan after sseccesion with an abdundant oil reserve. What has happened there? Why do you think it will be differnet in the biafran case
We too ain't like South Sudan. South Sudan believe the only way to survive is through their oil.
Over dependence on oil is the reason why Nigerians are suffering right now.
Igbos do not depend on the govt and we've never depended on the govt.
If this same people can start with just 50 pounds and survive then, what makes you think we can't in this new era where everything is digitized and accounted for?

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Pesuzok(m): 5:26pm On Jul 01, 2016
izzou:
OP, i commend you for this writeup but i think you should be a little bit OPEN MINDED.

Firstly, you may see the consequences of brexit being applicable to biafra but the are from two different causes.
The main reason the brexit prevailed was due to immigration issues followed by sovereignity. In biafra case, they feel cheated. You cant compare their reasons

Am an Igbo and i dont support biafra but that doesnt mean they dont have a cause. I think nigerians should spend more time on how we can make sure the hold of power is fair and not the consequences that we befall biafra
Look at our government today, some zones are being cheated. Some zones have ruled more than anybody else. 90 percent of our oil blocs are owned by a particular sect in another person's land.

My opinion sha. Thanks for the thread

Well said bro, but we need to get the bolded sorted out. The SS are not one with the SE, this we need to know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Pinkybush: 5:28pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
not at all, yet biafra will be a unified country I presume, thus if we go with ur analogy that unity isn't by force, and we consider the fact that , similarly to the brexit, there are and were no plans after seccesion. When the inevitable suffering comes, guess the only solution would be a clamour for breaking biafra into local governments. With a continual breakage till we get to the husband and wife. Like you said , unity is not by force, yet the broomaker understands the wisdom in unity despite the diffeneces the broom stick length.

Also, please if you will quote me, make sure ur intelligent enough to speak coherently else I will ignore you as I would a leper
You created this trash because of Biafra agitating for self-control? What has happen to Sudan and South-Sudan after they parted ways? What has happen to other countries after they brokeup? I'll rather advice next time if you don't have any meaningful thing to post, better share that free Etisalat MB to people who have better things to share on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Esso95(m): 5:33pm On Jul 01, 2016
' I hold him a fool that cherishes his fetters; be it gold. Give me liberty or give me death'
The Brits enjoyed a near utopian economy before there eventful exit from EU. Their regrets are quite justified. What have the bits in our geographical monster enjoyed? Dehumanisation, nepotism, tribe superiority over meritocracy adorned in the pseudonym of federal character, an ever- epileptic economy? What's the romance to relish when these bits leave this marriage?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by saintandsinnerz: 5:34pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
they have genuine grieviances, I am igbo too. And similar to you, I have no belief in biafra because I feel sentiments has beclouded reason in that struggle. The brits had reasons they felt were genuine for the brexit, yet most of the consequences you see today were very clear from the onset, yet they didn't see it due to their egoistic sentiments on matters relating to imigration.

The EU has stated that no access to the free market if they won't allow free passage, thus if britian loses the free market , economically they will have to look overseas for business in an already chinese concnetrated markket. Yet if they succumb to the EU, then they return to square one. Thus why the brexit.

The point is that such a noble act of seccesion could be counterproductive if not based on sound unbiased judgement and people choices. The biafrans have a good cause, have they discussed life after biafra is acheived ? The answer is likely NO. Have they discussed any pertinent issues to nation building ? NO. Even many in the regions don't understand the merits or demerits of the seccesion and yet biafra is being agittated. To prevent room for regrets like the brexit. They must plan first, strategise second, model thirdly and lastly agitate
Mr man stop deceiving yourself, you're not Igbo and you will never be! Just do yourself a favour and ask your mum questions concerning your paternity. No full blooded Igbo man will call his people leeches in a public forum like nairaland. Stop deceiving yourself

3 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by agabaI23(m): 5:34pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
The clamour for change always appears the solution to current problems, these changes. Most times result from improperly channeled feelings of anger, inequality andd unfairness. Seccesional change is always an idealogical solution and never a practical one. The outcome of the brexit vote has once again proven that the solution to developmental and radical changes aimed at equity and status quo can never truly be achieved by an ill thought seccesionalist motive.

the UK is currently rudderless, scotland is current sitting in the brussels EU summit while david cameron was denied entry, the UK has been told verbatim that there will be no entry into the EU free market without free rights of passage, the outcome of the brexit not only threatens the unity of the UK, it also threatens its future economy.

What's most baffling appears to be that, major proponents of the leave campaign have ran away or taken the back seat, nobody appears a fore runner to leading the UK or whatever is left of it , into the uncharted waters of the unknown.

I always tell seccesionist groups to plan their move, plan their economic models, plan their politcal models, before the start agitating for seccesion, but all we observe are agitations before any planning or objective considerations are made. Because its always easier to play a victim card filled with tribalism or racism as in the britain case, thus beclouding sound judgement on the merits and demerits of a seccesion.

Nigeria is filled with seccesionalists, take a cue from the brexit and plan before you agitate. Never wipe ur bottom before using the toilet.

#commonsense
What UK is facing now is subtle move by rest of the world, the world leaders to get them to change their position. They will suffer in the short run and that's it. Cameron should step down and allow a leave proponent take over. That is the way forward. ...
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by agitator: 5:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
Pinkybush:
You created this trash because of Biafra agitating for self-control? What has happen to Sudan and South-Sudan after they parted ways? What has happen to other countries after they brokeup? I'll rather advice next time if you don't have any meaningful thing to post, better share that free Etisalat MB to people who have better things to share on Nairaland.

The bobo, no even get shame for face claiming intelligence while him to advice Nigeria as if Nigeria dey agitate to leave any union. wetin Nigeria want to learn, which union 9ja want to leave? undecided undecided undecided

Education for this country na something else, all this schools wey dey give some people degree, hmmmm, the kind problem dem don cause for this 9ja no be small. cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by PhilemonObende: 5:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
kropotkin2:
come out in support of secession next May 30th and come tell me about it

People will not live forever, monkey with guns will always shoot but Truth will always prevail. By next may, Anti-muslims Presidents would have taken power in the most powerful countries and it will be crime against humanity for Almajiris like you and your El-dullardeen to touch a bullet. grin

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by timxxy: 5:41pm On Jul 01, 2016

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Alfranco(m): 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2016
OjukwuWarBird:

Trash.

Is unity by force.?

What concerns us with the Brits. angry

Those in support that our unity is non negotiable should tell us whether component nations of the UK were forced together to remain in their union. They should tell us whether England and her people Lord themselves over others they term minorities or whether useless religious fanatism are meted on those some term infidels in a country you want them to remain...The so called Brexit is a peculiar case with the four nations in the UK union.... if we go our separate ways in the event of a referendum, there is no big deal. Afterall we weren't together from the beginning and Rome was not built in a day...

3 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Charlesdock(m): 5:49pm On Jul 01, 2016
Secession is not the right thing to do right now. It won't be a good thing that because of our troubled today we should then destroy the chance for a better tomorrow. Let put for Federalism.
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by izzou(m): 5:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
Pesuzok:

Well said bro, but we need to get the bolded sorted out. The SS are not one with the SE, this we need to know

Sure

I just sighted that as an example. Everybody seems to be more concerned about the consequences of their agitations than their reasons.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Pedrop: 6:05pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
i am Igbo too

sumborri:
And yes, the SS have no business with igbo leeches

see who is Igbo.

Seun, won't u address that small boy u employed to moderate this political forum ? That guy is wicked, saddist and full of himself just because of his little position.

One will call out his hypocrisy and he will not just correct himself or ignore and move away,, he will find fault to ban where there is non.

He banned my other moniker just because of this " Togo and Benin republic will welcome their runaway brothers with open hands, mind and soul, do not fear. Leave Biafra alone" saying it prmotes secession.

Pls Seun are runaway brothers of Togo and Benin republic agitating for secession ? One week ban at that oo, for the first time. Can u see the share wickedness he is showing just because he is yoruba. He didn't even penalise the OP i reported him to who called Igbos SS leeches, thereby calling out his hypocrisy.

I am talking about no one else than the one who added forty four at the back of his moniker u have here as a moderator

I pray u see this before him cos i am sure to collect another ban with this report if he sees it b4 you. He is wickedness personified.

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by ImpersonatorSS: 6:19pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
all I hear is we have the, we have the, yet no concrete proof to that effect. This is very similar with the inferior brits according to you, an over hyped sense of beclouding ill judgement about their capabilities and relevance.

If you have all those things, why is the SE not a london, why is it still the SE. Or are the skills being saved only till biafra is acheived before they are displayed ?

Oliver and wilbur wright never said we have the skills to build p

The current useless failed system wont let any states harness their full economic potential and develop accordingly.
Nigeria MUST be restructured to allow state control their resources rather than depend on federal allocation.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ogbonnaya Onu Rejects Umahi's Car Gift / 2019: Buhari’s Men Court Igbo With 2023 Presidency / 2019: I Will Bring Biafra Back To Nigeria If Elected_ Olawepo Hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.