Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria (9992 Views)

Shahida Sanusi On Day3 Of Her Wedding Ceremony (Photos) / Coronation Of Sanusi Lamido As The 14th Emir Of Kano (Photos) / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Sanusi On AIT Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by naijaking1: 2:46am On Sep 08, 2009
PapaBrowne:

@Jarus
If you've read this excerpt from his article, you should by now understand Sanusi's state of mind and the reason for his bank reforms.
There is a great similarity between the events he referenced (the JAMB results of 78/79) and the  Banking scenario post Soludo's consolidation.

In the Jamb result palaver, the Southern  states crushed the Northern states flawlessly. Imagine Bendel State having higher intakes than all the Northern states put together. Sanusi and his fellow northern hegemons, instead of working out strategies  to improve the educational lot of their kin, they changed the JAMB formula to one that would kill merit and promote mediocrity.

Banking, post consoludotion- very similar scenario. Out of 25 banks that survived the consolidation, only one had Northern majority shareholding= Unity Bank.  Sadly, despite its northern shareholding, 90% of its branches are domiciled in the south. It is also the worst bank in the country.

Once again, Sanusi was miffed by this "anomaly" called merit which always seeks to subjugate his northern folk and expose their intellectual inferiority in comparison with their southern brothers.
This time around, instead of protesting as  he did in the his ABU days, he finds himself with the power and capacity to further promote mediocrity over merit.

It's called the "Balancing Act". That"s what many are terming Northern Agenda. Its the desire to enthrone mediocrity. It has happened too many times in Nigeria and it is the reason we are still where we are today.It hasn't helped the nort, and has prevented the south from growing. So the whole country is at a loss for it.

The only reason why Sanusi sacked the five bank executives is the create a balance in the banking industry. He envisages an industry where both north and south would have equal banking credentials notwithstanding the detrimental effects that philisophy would have on merit.
Good news is that his mission has failed from the onset, as he wasn't smart enough to make his moves sublime.

Thank you so very much, for your excellent point, and the patience you took to write it out clearly.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by naijaking1: 2:54am On Sep 08, 2009
Bialegend:

And we are still in the same country with these ignorant fools. In a secular state, no religion is given preference over others. In fact, in a secular state, the government is officially neutral in matters affecting religion. Also the state does not support nor oppose any particular religious beliefs or practices in such country. So why sound as if secularism in nigeria will give preference to other religions (Christianity in sanusis warped and islamic rotten mind) over islam? These fools have their agenda already made up and are trying to lord it over nigerians, but they have already failed before even starting. This is not 1967 and there will be no Britain, USSR, Egypt and Sudan to help you ahlmajiris this time when the show down sets. Useless, illiterate and backward set of people.

There's no Hausa/Fulani muslim who agrees with the present secular nature of Nigeria. From the sharia governors, to the senators, to the almajiris on the street begging for food. None of them believe in secularity. It's just a question of time. From Yar'dua(who instituted sharia as a governor, to his Katsina/Kano/Kaduna mafia kitchen cabinet, to Sanusi, to the most radical preacher----they don't agree with our secular constitution. Hisbah police is busy killing, maiming, and harassing christians in Kano, and yet nobody has ever told them to stop, it's just a question of time, before they land in Lagos, Enugu and Calabar to enforce pure conformation to Islam.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria, the northern christians with their long history of servitude to the Hausas can't even raise a finger of protest when their churches are demolished by state governments, or when their pastors are beheaded like goats. Instead you have the Gowons, Bamaiyis, Usenis, and the Danjumas lining up to kiss the Hausaman's religious ass.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 2:58am On Sep 08, 2009
PapaBrowne:

@Jarus
If you've read this excerpt from his article, you should by now understand Sanusi's state of mind and the reason for his bank reforms.
There is a great similarity between the events he referenced (the JAMB results of 78/79) and the  Banking scenario post Soludo's consolidation.

In the Jamb result palaver, the Southern  states crushed the Northern states flawlessly. Imagine Bendel State having higher intakes than all the Northern states put together. Sanusi and his fellow northern hegemons, instead of working out strategies  to improve the educational lot of their kin, they changed the JAMB formula to one that would kill merit and promote mediocrity.

Banking, post consoludotion- very similar scenario. Out of 25 banks that survived the consolidation, only one had Northern majority shareholding= Unity Bank.  Sadly, despite its northern shareholding, 90% of its branches are domiciled in the south. It is also the worst bank in the country.

Once again, Sanusi was miffed by this "anomaly" called merit which always seeks to subjugate his northern folk and expose their intellectual inferiority in comparison with their southern brothers.
This time around, instead of protesting as  he did in the his ABU days, he finds himself with the power and capacity to further promote mediocrity over merit.

It's called the "Balancing Act". That"s what many are terming Northern Agenda. Its the desire to enthrone mediocrity. It has happened too many times in Nigeria and it is the reason we are still where we are today.It hasn't helped the nort, and has prevented the south from growing. So the whole country is at a loss for it.

The only reason why Sanusi sacked the five bank executives is the create a balance in the banking industry. He envisages an industry where both north and south would have equal banking credentials notwithstanding the detrimental effects that philisophy would have on merit.
Good news is that his mission has failed from the onset, as he wasn't smart enough to make his moves sublime.

Excellent write-up and also exposes the dangerous thinking of the likes of Sanusi who would like to turn Nigeria into a fiefdom ruled by northern mallams. It is sad that the response of northern students to the skewed number of students admitted to universities was to "protest"! Protest against what? That southern students were too intelligent?

It is no surprise that universities in Nigeria then used to be the best in Africa . . . after Sanusi's protest . . . where are those same universities today? Our students are leaving for foreign countries including Ghana for college degrees since what we have now is a free-for-all enthronement of mediocrity.

If this is an example of Sanusi's mindset to the banking sector then it portends dangerous times for Nigeria!

It is sad that Jarus would rather blindly favor religious loyalty than facts.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by naijaking1: 3:05am On Sep 08, 2009
davidylan:

It is no surprise that universities in Nigeria then used to be the best in Africa . . . after Sanusi's protest . . . where are those same universities today? Our students are leaving for foreign countries including Ghana for college degrees since what we have now is a free-for-all enthronement of mediocrity.

If this is an example of Sanusi's mindset to the banking sector then it portends dangerous times for Nigeria!

It is sad that Jarus would rather blindly favor religious loyalty than facts.

Your saddness and surprise maybe from the fact that you have never interacted with some of these people in person, and on Nigerian soil(because they seem to cool down to reality overseas).

If Jarus accepts facts over his religion, then he wouldn't seem himself as a devout muslim anymore, so is biina, etc
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by biina: 3:14am On Sep 08, 2009
naijaking1:

Your saddness and surprise maybe from the fact that you have never interacted with some of these people in person, and on Nigerian soil(because they seem to cool down to reality overseas).

If Jarus accepts facts over his religion, then he wouldn't seem himself as a devout muslim anymore, so is biina, etc
Unfortunately for you, I am neither a muslim nor a northerner. That you are quick to assume otherwise, only proves that you cannot comprehend an argument or position that is not borne of religious or ethnic bias. But then that raises the question of if all your positions are borne of such.

You talk of facts, and yet all you (along with PapaBrowne & co) have done is presuppose the intentions behind the actions of Sanusi predominantly on the basis of his ethnicity and religion. It is because of people like you that Nigeria is in the state it is.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Jarus(m): 9:24am On Sep 08, 2009
Much as I had vowed to be off-NL for two days after days of spending too much time debating on NL politics section, peeping in and seeing recent posts here, I can't help coming out again.

I will articulate my response to the above allegations by David and co through a brief titled essay:

THE BURDEN OF DEFENDING SANUSI
Since the beginning of the Sanusi debate on NL sometime around May this year, I have been a staunch pro-Sanusi contributor. In fact if not because I had been active on NL before the Sanusi debate came up, some people would have said I was being sponsored by him. But thank God I had even been on NL before I ever heard the name Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.

That said, with the usual trend of things on NL, I knew from the outset that the whole issue will be finally reduced to my tribe and religion. This I knew for two reasons. One, I have never hidden my being a Muslim on NL and in fact I'm the moderator of Islam for Muslims section, even though I have more posts in Politics and sports sections. Two, I have never hidden my detribalized nature. I have defended northerners and easterners on NL many times in the past, just as I have done for my tribe-Yoruba. I'm a Yoruba and a proud one, but I don't believe in undue stereotyping of any tribe or looking at an evil committed by a person from the tribal prism. All these are reflected in my previous contributions here. I'm even surprised this just came up in the Sanusi debate. I had thought it will be brought up long ago, that I support Sanusi because he is a Muslim or because I have defended Hausa/Fulani folk in the past.

My support for Sanusi, as I have said many times, absolutely stems from my belief in his ability and brilliance. Other reasons are that I hate when somebody is being underrated because of his tribal affiliation and the widespread dismissal even before he assumed office. If Sanusi had been a Southerner, I'm very sure he would have been seen as a genuis, but in their thoughts nothing good can come from an aboki. I have a friend that will swear that Sanusi is more brilliant than Soludo, but I don't share that opinion yet.

All these said, I will like to ask some question:
-What is wrong in affiliating with a religion?
-What is wrong in defending your tribe when it is the subject of undue attack?
-Are being an Economist/banker and religious scholar mutually exclusive?

Now let me answer the posers:
What is wrong in affiliating with a religion?
I believe, and many people will also agree with me, that there is nothing wrong in openly affiliating with whatever belief you profess. The same argument why you, Davidylan, falsely accuses me of 'rather blindly favor(ing) religious loyalty than facts' can also be used against you. You have been a frontline critic of Muslims and Islam on NL, as  I have also been a defender of Islam and Muslims(those insulted solely because of their religion), so I can also accuse you of rather blindly attacking Sanusi because he is a Muslim because you have a history of not seeing anything good in a Muslim.
In any case, I am not supporting Sanusi because he is a Muslim. In fact, I sharply disagree with his Islamic views in some of his Islamic articles I have read. He, to me, is more of a philosopher than an Islamic scholar. He is even a rebel to the northern Muslim leaders for constantly criticizing them for using religion to defraud people. Have you seen his articles on Sharia as practised in the north? He took Yerima and co to the cleaners for going after petty thieves where in actual facts, government officials steal billions of Naira.

Sanusi said this in a paper he delivered in Ghana in 2003:

First, the Nigerian federation is not a federation of religions, but of states. Whereas states with overwhelming Muslim majorities may legislate for themselves shari’ah laws for their Muslim populations, the non-Muslim indigenes of those states are equal in every respect to the Muslim majority. Their complete freedom of religion, including freedom from harassment for non-conformity to the tenets of Muslim law in their choice of dress or food or drink etc. must be guaranteed and protected. In this regard, the various groups set up under the name of Hisbah corps must be restrained from interfering in any manner with the lifestyle of non-Muslims, particularly where the offence they are accused of is only an offence under shari’ah law. Such incidents as attacks on bars or beer-trucks or hotels arguably represent an attempt to force non-Muslims to live by the dietary or moral laws of the shari’ah.

As far I know, there is nothing wrong in affiliating  with any religion, and I'm yet to see where it is written that you have to discard your religious beliefs before you are able to do your a job that has nothing to do with religion.

-What is wrong in defending your tribe when it is the subject of undue attack?
I have read so many of Sanusi's write-ups on ethno-political issues and although I admit his choice of words appears rather too harsh, his series of  alutas knows no tribe. He has criticized Afenifere, Ohanaeze as well as ACF.

First, it is obvious that Sanusi has never hidden his being a Fulani, but what is wrong in making  people know that you are from a tribe inasmuch as you don't don't use that as a basis for favouring or victimizing  people?  Second, if your tribe is subject to attack, and unjustly too, and you are there, will not defend your tribe? This is a necessary defensive action and not offensive. The offensive is what is wrong. In Nigeria today, the Hausa/Fulani are the most bashed ethnic group, and they are seen as being the cause of every problem in Nigeria. This to me is an exaggeration. Now, tell me, will Sanusi not be an 'Omo ale' not to defend an unjust faulting of his tribe for unjust allegations?  When majority of his people lack the intellectual capacity to debate with their accusers, what relevance is Sanusi's  knowledge of history, politics and philosophy that match the southern folks, if he can't defend his people? His much quoted article, THE FULANI WITHOUT APOLOGY, extensively talks on this. I am also a Yoruba without apology. Or, David, are you are a Yoruba with apology?

So I don't see anything wrong in Sanusi defending his Fulani tribe from unjust accusation of being the cause of all the nation's problems.

-Are being an Economist/banker and religious scholar mutually exclusive?
It is funny how people expect a professional not to have  knowledge in other areas. The guy decided to study Islamic studies, most likely to become an emir in the future being a Kano prince and some people are crying. Does that make him less banker or Economist? Is it not possible for somebody to be an Islamic scholar and at the same time an Economist/banker?
Is Erastus Akingbola not an ordained pastor in RCCG? I mean a pastor that preaches on the pulpit. In many Intercontinental branches, they fellowship from 7-7.30am every morning before banking works start. Does that mean he is not an effective professional(let's forget the recent revelations)?
Is Segun Agbetuyi of the defunct Omega bank not a pastor?
Was Tai Solarin not an atheist? Was he not the head of the old People's bank?
If Erastus had become the CBN governor, would his strong religious affiliation count?
So I'm amazed at the way people think Sanusi's being an Islamic scholar disqualifies him from being the CBN governor? Have you said he doesn't know Economics and Banking? Didn't First Bank know he hold strong religious beliefs before appointing him GMD?

In conclusion, I have a question for Davidylan:
-Can you tell me sincerely that your criticism of Sanusi is not borne out of your belief, as shown in your NL history, that nothing good can come from a Muslim or Hausa/Fulani?

I think I'm done with Sanusi debate, at least for now. I need to face other things.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 08, 2009
Biina

there is no need being childish over the matter

the section of the constitution you quoted states clearly that that section holds only if it is consistent with subsection 2 which I have already quoted in my previous post.

So the subsection 2 that I quoted takes precedence over the bit you quoted.
It is there for all to see.

besides the section 4 which you quoted is only through to the extent that the laws made at the state level are consistent with the Nigerian constitution which is supreme.

section 1 of the Nigerian constitution states clearly that where there is a clash between the Nigerian constitution and any other laws in the land, the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria takes precedence.

No need to be childish, the constitution is there for all to see.

1. (1) This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on the authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(2) The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall not be governed, nor shall any persons or group of persons take control of the Government of Nigeria or any part thereof, except in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.

(3) If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.

see section one of the constitution above

The constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria recognises sharia law as a law of choice, where all parties consent to the law being used.

The constitution also states that the law should be used to resolve civil disagreements.

What is going on right now is an illegal interpretation of the law.

We don't even need a National Conference to resolve this, we just need to interprete the constitution as it is.

BTW the current constitution was handed to us by Northern Army generals. If the North can not live according to the dictates of the constitution handed to us by Northern Army Generals then we are in trouble in Nigeria.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 08, 2009
I am really learning a lot from the man called Sanusi, he is so smart. I am not suprised that some people will always be myopic and ethnocentric. They will remain stuck in their ignorance and the sad part is that such people will be given public ofices to manage with no knowledge but their ethnic bigotary.
Thanks Poster for this educative series. Please where can i get more of his writings
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 08, 2009
If Sanusi comes to my state I do not expect him to live within the dictates of my religion, so if I am in Kano I should not live within the dictates of his religion.

Nigeria is neither a christain nor muslim country

the only way we can live together is to respect a constitution that is independent of any religion

and on this occassion, Sanusi got it flatly wrong.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Bialegend(m): 11:00am On Sep 08, 2009
naijaking1:

There's no Hausa/Fulani muslim who agrees with the present secular nature of Nigeria. From the sharia governors, to the senators, to the almajiris on the street begging for food. None of them believe in secularity. It's just a question of time. From Yar'dua(who instituted sharia as a governor, to his Katsina/Kano/Kaduna mafia kitchen cabinet, to Sanusi, to the most radical preacher----they don't agree with our secular constitution. Hisbah police is busy killing, maiming, and harassing christians in Kano, and yet nobody has ever told them to stop, it's just a question of time, before they land in Lagos, Enugu and Calabar to enforce pure conformation to Islam.

Unfortunately, in Nigeria, the northern christians with their long history of servitude to the Hausas can't even raise a finger of protest when their churches are demolished by state governments, or when their pastors are beheaded like goats. Instead you have the Gowons, Bamaiyis, Usenis, and the Danjumas lining up to kiss the Hausaman's religious ass.
Very well said. And the reason for the bolded is because they all have one thing in common with other nigerians in both north and south and that is the HATRED OF IGBOS.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Bialegend(m): 11:06am On Sep 08, 2009
biina:

Unfortunately for you, I am neither a muslim nor a northerner. That you are quick to assume otherwise, only proves that you cannot comprehend an argument or position that is not borne of religious or ethnic bias. But then that raises the question of if all your positions are borne of such.

You talk of facts, and yet all you (along with PapaBrowne & co) have done is presuppose the intentions behind the actions of Sanusi predominantly on the basis of his ethnicity and religion. It is because of people like you that Nigeria is in the state it is.
Yes, here he come again. The apostle of "my best friends are Igbos" If you are not a muslim and also not a northerner, can you boldly tell us your religion and the most important, your ethnic group in nigeria? I am Igbo, but i know you will be too much ashamed of your self to answer my questions.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by adigun101: 11:12am On Sep 08, 2009
I have a few questions! Most of sanusi's comments are of quality . Centering on politics, ethnicity and religion but not enought economic content. What does all this write up have to do with a CBN governor ?
Isn't this a case of fitting square pegs in round holes ?
Wasn't there any more qualified individuals well rooted in Economics and finance rather than a man who is more of a political and religious commentator.
Where are his economic write-ups ? That is the only part of his mind I care about.
How do we reason in Nigeria.
There is a time, place and people for politics, religion, judiciary and economics. If you start mixing them up you get people in unnatural places acting in an unnatural manner.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Jarus(m): 11:27am On Sep 08, 2009
adigun101:

I have a few questions! Most of sanusi's comments are of quality . Centering on politics, ethnicity and religion but not enought economic content. What does all this write up have to do with a CBN governor ?
Thank God you accept Sanusi's write-ups are of quality. At least you see something good in him.
I'm also a bit worried that his past dialogues, other than those on Debt relief, have centred on politics, religion, ethicity, history etc rather than on Economics.
This to me is not impressive enough and I mention it in my article  but I think he has made up for this in other areas, especially with the industry wide acknowledgement taht he's Nigeria's economy's best brain in risk management.

The paragraph is reproduced here:
Make no mistake, I am not saying that versatility and all-roundness-the summary of who I see SLS to be-automatically translate to excellent performance as CBN governor. In fact, I’m not too impressed with the fact only few of his past dialogues I came across bordered on Economics(most bordered on politics,history, philosophy, ethnicity, and religion). But a critical look at his CV, especially his rapid promotion in UBA between 1997-1999, and the overt acknowledgement by analysts and commentators that he’s arguably Nigeria’s economy’s best brain in Credit risk management, tells a lot about his competence in his primary field.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=147240%20-
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by adigun101: 2:39pm On Sep 08, 2009
Jarus:

I'm also a bit worried that his past dialogues, other than those on Debt relief, have centred on politics, religion, ethicity, history etc rather than on Economics.
This to me is not impressive enough and I mention it in my article  but I think he has made up for this in other areas, especially with the industry wide acknowledgement taht he's Nigeria's economy's best brain in risk management.

It is of quality because it seems to have been written by an educated mind with a well thought out approach. This quality is lacking in most political commentators and columnist.
But as CBN governor you quoted "especially with the industry wide acknowledgement taht he's Nigeria's economy's best brain in risk management".
May I ask, by who where and when and how? What difference did his risk management do for UBA (old generation bank) before it got acquired by Elumelu's STB (New generation bank).
What does that qualify Elumelu for, World bank president ?
What are his views on Nigerias economic direction (especially with regards the financial services sector) asides Islamic banking.
If he is all that, why was Kingsley Moghalu (a fellow risk management expert) hired?
Is risk management the  only thing central bank does?
Even look on Moghalu, he has a profile as a economic strategist and risk manager with some international exposure. Able to instill confidence in investors. Is that why he hired ? to bolster Sanusi's profile?
What worries me most is that, when you do a google search on our CBN governor, you start running into controversial and extreme political, ethnic and religious articles with little economic content.
That is why no matter the good intentions of his policies or actions, he will be unable to carry people or even the markets along because there is little or nothing about the man that rediates quality and confidence in the office he occuppies.
Going by newspaper reports, the so called international investors who were supposed to take over the distressed banks have tagged the bank takeover as controversial and political. (Look at Transcorp after Obasanjo)
Do you not think that its got something to do with his sometimes controversial economic and political views?
In your view do such write-ups do you any good as a CBN governor especially in a country like Nigeria ?
These are just honest questions.
I havent got anything against the man. But from his appointment back in May to his banking reforms it has been questions and controversies.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by biina: 3:04pm On Sep 08, 2009
Bialegend:

Yes, here he come again. The apostle of "my best friends are Igbos" If you are not a muslim and also not a northerner, can you boldly tell us your religion and the most important, your ethnic group in nigeria? I am Igbo, but i know you will be too much ashamed of your self to answer my questions.
At no point have I said my best friends are Igbos. If you are so curious to know what my ethnicity is, feel free to go and investigate.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Bialegend(m): 3:17pm On Sep 08, 2009
biina:

At no point have I said my best friends are Igbos. If you are so curious to know what my ethnicity is, feel free to go and investigate.
And you actually feel that i think you will post your ethnicity here? Naive at best. It is on record that only Igbos are always proud to state or mention their ethnicity anywhere, forum or not. Next are the Yorubas, while others like you are ashamed to do same for reasons best know to you.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by biina: 3:30pm On Sep 08, 2009
@mikeansy
childish? undecided

Section 277(1) says the state can confer additional jurisdiction on the Sharia court, while section 4(1) grants the state a degree of autonomy in adopting such laws.
I do not see where it is stated that 277 (2) supersedes or limits 277(1), when it is supposed to be an expounding of 'competent' as used in the latter

277. (1) The sharia Court of Appeal of a State shall, in addition to such other jurisdiction as may be conferred upon it by the law of the State, exercise such appellate and supervisory jurisdiction in civil proceedings, involving questions of Islamic personal Law which the court is competent to, decide in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section.

The bold part is the default jurisdiction of the sharia courts and 277(2) only details what is meant by 'competent to' as clearly stated above. The definitions in 277(2) does not affect the 'other jurisdiction' that can be conferred by the state.

If your interpretation was correct,  wouldn't the adoption of the sharia been defeated in court?

Where the question has always been with Sharia was not in its adoption, but rather if certain laws under it infringe on fundamental human rights.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by biina: 3:36pm On Sep 08, 2009
Bialegend:

And you actually feel that i think you will post your ethnicity here? Naive at best. It is on record that only Igbos are always proud to state or mention their ethnicity anywhere, forum or not. Next are the Yorubas, while others like you are ashamed to do same for reasons best know to you.
I do not go about brandishing my ethnicity as I do not see the relevance of it to an intellectual exchange.
You (along with your likes), on the other hand, cannot see beyond ethnic bigotry, and always strife to interpret arguments based on ethnicity and not facts or logic. Your handle makes it easy to spot you from a mile off.
It is mindset like yours that have led to such sad events like the holocaust and the Rwandan genocide. More saddening is the fact that you are proud of it.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 08, 2009
I think the confusion is now down to English language

Let's hear others view

277. (1) The sharia Court of Appeal of a State shall, in addition to such other jurisdiction as may be conferred upon it by the law of the State, exercise such appellate and supervisory jurisdiction in civil proceedings involving questions of Islamic personal Law which the court is competent to decide in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, the sharia Court of Appeal shall be competent to decide -

(a) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a marriage concluded in accordance with that Law, including a question relating to the validity or dissolution of such a marriage or a question that depends on such a marriage and relating to family relationship or the guardianship of an infant;

(b) where all the parties to the proceedings are muslims, any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a marriage, including the validity or dissolution of that marriage, or regarding family relationship, a founding or the guarding of an infant;

(c) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a wakf, gift, will or succession where the endower, donor, testator or deceased person is a muslim;

(d) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding an infant, prodigal or person of unsound mind who is a muslim or the maintenance or the guardianship of a muslim who is physically or mentally infirm; or

(e) where all the parties to the proceedings, being muslims, have requested the court that hears the case in the first instance to determine that case in accordance with Islamic personal law, any other question.

The constitution explicitly states that the issues dealt with in a sharia court can only be civil matters

It also state clearly that subsection 1 holds so long as it is according to the provisions of subsection 2. (does that not suggest that subsection 2 takes precedence over subsection 1?).

How about section 1 of this constitution which I stated earlier which clearly states that any state laws inconsitent with federal laws is void.

Let others interprete the above section 277 of the constitution and lets hear their view on this issue.

May be we need to right the constitution in broken english so that it is clear to all. English language is looking too complicated for us to understand.

If your interpretation was correct, wouldn't the adoption of the sharia been defeated in court?

The reason it has not been defeated in the court is because no one has challenged it?

Why have the Khadis not sent the man who married 80 wives to jail?

because the man procured good lawyers who know the position of the law.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by biina: 4:42pm On Sep 08, 2009
I guess the question boils down to the effect of the phrase 'in addition to such other jurisdiction as may be conferred upon it by the law of the State' on the rest of the definition.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Goldmind1(m): 4:56pm On Sep 08, 2009
[quote][/quote]For the South, on the other hand, the converse was true. Rich in qualified personnel, the regional set-up was a constraining factor for the elite. The Igbos in particular ( and to a much greater extent than the Yoruba) had neither the natural economic resources to exploit nor the history of political and social organization which tends to blunt the edges of poverty and create a form of social contract between the individual and the society that facilitates provision for the welfare of the deprived.

It is, therefore, not surprising that the Igbo were the prime movers of the first successful military mutiny which eliminated the political leaders and senior officers of the North and West while letting-off those of the East. It is also not surprising that the transformation of the polity from a Federation to a Unitary State was the handiwork of an Igbo leader, Gen. Ironsi by military decree (Decree No 34 of May, 1966). These developments were viewed with fear and suspicion by the North as an attempt by a predatory Southern elite to gain control of all aspects of national life and thus marginalise the Northern elite. Decree No.34 and a leaked document called Cabinet Paper No.10, represented the articulation of this attempt at "restructuring" the Federation in a manner unacceptable to the North.
[code][/code]

[b][/b]LESSONS I LEARNT.

1.So this Adamu knows that each tribe suspects the other.
2.It's a pity that the North only cannot occupy all the positions in FG. And the Northerns should better go to school than doing boko haram.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Borat1: 5:02pm On Sep 08, 2009
Ouch! My eyes!
No way i'm going to read all of that.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by anonimi: 5:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
For those who are concerned about his writings focusing mostly on areas other than his banking profession should consider that he practised that daily and his supervisors and peers acknowledge his worth regularly.
I am sure those concerned can find out from their friends and relations who are bankers about Sanusi's reputation in the industry and come to a conclusion after speaking with a varied sample.
I remember a medical doctor (forgot his name) who writes articles/OpEds in the Guardian but cannot remember him writing on medical issues.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Ballinger1: 6:07pm On Sep 08, 2009
Jarus:

Thank God you accept Sanusi's write-ups are of quality. At least you see something good in him.
This to me is not impressive enough and I mention it in my article but I think he has made up for this in other areas, especially with the industry wide acknowledgement taht he's Nigeria's economy's best brain in risk management.

The paragraph is reproduced here:
Make no mistake, I am not saying that versatility and all-roundness-the summary of who I see SLS to be-automatically translate to excellent performance as CBN governor. In fact, I’m not too impressed with the fact only few of his past dialogues I came across bordered on Economics(most bordered on politics,history, philosophy, ethnicity, and religion). But a critical look at his CV, especially his rapid promotion in UBA between 1997-1999, and the overt acknowledgement by analysts and commentators that he’s arguably Nigeria’s economy’s best brain in Credit risk management, tells a lot about his competence in his primary field.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=147240%20

JARUS CAN U PLS SEND ME THE ARTICLES MY EMAIL ADDY IS SULAZZI@GMAIL.COM
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Ballinger1: 6:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
jarus pls send me the articles @ sulazzi@gmail.com
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by jacobs123(m): 6:24pm On Sep 08, 2009
This to me is not impressive enough and I mention it in my article  but I think he has made up for this in other areas, especially with the industry wide acknowledgement taht he's Nigeria's economy's best brain in risk management.
[b][/b]

how many people discuss econmics in Nigeria? our issues even as shown on Naira land are always on politics, religion, ethnicity and history so what's the big deal if Sanusi comments on that. How many of the bank chiefs even discusses anything apart form deposit targets. At least Sanusi discusses other things and is bold about it. What has Jim Ovia, Akingbola, Ibru, Elumelu etc contributed to and discourse in Nigeria?

Jarus,

I'm happy that you started this thread. I posted one of his artcles earlier on and have followed him a bit too and I've been impressed. You will never be able to convince some people that this guys is sound, NIgerians are always alike that, everything is to criticize people and bring them down.

Having said that, I'm not saying we should all turn to a Sanusi believer all of a sudden. we need to watch and be objective and more importantly contribute ideas that can help him succeed rather than hoping that we'ld continue to have the same useless banking system that has not helped the ordinary NIgerian. Sanusi has shown more character and consistence and I would queue behind such a man anyday rather than just telling me you are a Yoruba man or you are a christian (both groups I proudly lay claim to).
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by kuramo: 6:44pm On Sep 08, 2009
Jarus.

Please can you e-mail all those articles and writings by Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.  My appreciation in advance.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by calyx: 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2009

Exactly! Infact I am so shocked! Now the whole puzzle is beginning to make some sense. . .Wow so thats it then. . .

and the overt acknowledgement by analysts and commentators that he’s arguably Nigeria’s economy’s best brain in Credit risk management

Source please thanks

[I am sure those concerned can find out from their friends and relations who are bankers about Sanusi's reputation in the industry and come to a conclusion after speaking with a varied sample.

Are you suggesting by any means that whatever the product of this 'investigation' is enough to qualify a man in such office as 'fit' if there are actions or absence of them that may suggest otherwise?

how many people discuss econmics in Nigeria? our issues even as shown on Naira land are always on politics, religion, ethnicity and history so what's the big deal if Sanusi comments on that. How many of the bank chiefs even discusses anything apart form deposit targets. At least Sanusi discusses other things and is bold about it. What has Jim Ovia, Akingbola, Ibru, Elumelu etc contributed to and discourse in Nigeria?

For a pro-sanusi argument especially in relation to a/ or perceived required versatility of a CBN governor with regards his office, i go to sleep  sad
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 7:22pm On Sep 08, 2009
^Don't waste your time. These people have shrines to Sanusi in their bedrooms, complete with his picture, seven candles and the ashes of what remains of their integrity.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Chizua(m): 7:23pm On Sep 08, 2009
Gentlemen, the key issue is not how learned Sanusi is or how vast he is; but does his actions or inactions put food on our tables.  We are talking about economy, which is the soul of our existence as family and nation.  Economic situation is critical for now.  Banks have frozen credit facilities to customers.  Companies are winding up, Naira is depreciating against dollar on weekly basis, guys are losing jobs, and many more  lots of other social evil.  It will not take time before it will be dawn on all of us.  Six months is too much.  "A good policy and action at a wrong time"
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by naijaking1: 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2009
Sanusi's personal views about tribes, religion, and politics could have remained private had he not hoisted it into public limelight, and had his actions not seem like reading a script off one of these extreme Arewa agenda.

No doubt, he's not happy with the educational, economic, and tribal imbalances we have in Nigeria; the fear is that he's using his high offices to effect drastic and sudden changes in favor of his Hausa kins.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Lagosboy: 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2009
@Jarus bro

I have known this dude and reading his write ups since 2003 on gamji.com. Honestly i have always wanted to meet the man since way back then as the depth of his knowledge and diverse his thinking baffles me as he his also a full time banker. Nigerians dont appreciate knowledge and intellect otherwise this guy should be celeberated as he his one of the few Nigerians of our/his generation we could still count on. He touches economics, political economy , stimulates thinking and thoughts in religious issues, analyses banking and debates politics. I can only pray and hope to have some of the intellectual prowess of the humble man.

Many NLers will be surprised to read so much of his articles and diverse as they are. Please go to Gamji.com and you will see about 20-30 articles spanning from 1999 - 2005.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria And Niger Republic To Partner In Uranium Exploration / I’ll Defeat Buhari, Atiku Through Ballot Revolution, Says Olawepo-hashim / PDP Begins Moves To Reclaim Ekiti In 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.