Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,639 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria (9991 Views)

Shahida Sanusi On Day3 Of Her Wedding Ceremony (Photos) / Coronation Of Sanusi Lamido As The 14th Emir Of Kano (Photos) / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala And Sanusi On AIT Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2009
Ibime:

What rubbish! The constitution is illegal in so far as the Govt can come and take your land without offering adequate compensation and drilling for oil on it. Go and tell our brothers in the creeks that the constitution is not illegal.

The fact remains, Sanusi has never opposed a change of constitution that would give us fairplay. His right to Sharia is being respected in so much as his people have the political muscle to make it happen regardless of what the constitution says. His hypocisy would be if he resisted devolvement of power to you also.

I haven't heard anyone in the creeks say they are not Nigerian, we are bound by a constitution that makes us Nigerian.
While the constitution is inadequate, it is definitely not illegal.

Condemning the constitution as illegal is a whole new ball game, is this the ugly birth of a new sharia rebellion? Different from Boko Haram because it has a veneer of pseodo education? We need to be careful.

Lets leave the ND and keep to Sanusi affairs.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2009
Ibime

Sanusi said in the comment that Muslims consider the Sharia law over any other law . . . . . .and he says this is justified.

So even if you reform the Nigerian constitution, in Sanusi's view the Kor'an should take precedence over the Nigerian constitution when it comes to how a Nigerian should live in Kano.

I am a christain, but if I for anyday suggest that in my relationship and dealing with a fellow Nigerian, the Bible should take precedence over the Nigerian constitution then please by all means stone me to death.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2009
Please Ibime what is your definition of something being illegal, what determines what is legal and what is illegal in Nigeria?

This is why the BBC said just a fortnight ago that most Nigerians dont understand the meaning of arrest

Please note the defference between Immoral and Illegal.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Ibime(m): 4:37pm On Sep 09, 2009
Beaf:

Lets leave the ND and keep to Sanusi affairs.

We cannot leave the Niger Delta and keep to Sanusi affairs.

When Beaf comes on Nairaland to advocate for Henry Okah, is he not advocating for someone that the constitution defines as a criminal?

Phock speaking in niceties.

The constitution is illegal in so far as it wasnt agreed on by the people, through lawmakers elected in a free and fair manner.

The constitution can never be legal until we have a free and fair election in Nigeria.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by goggs(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2009
l respect Sanusi for speaking his mind. his position is clear, anyone who doesn't agree should counter in like manner not tear at his person.  its the twenty first century people! how we gonna have sovereign national conference if we are this intolerant?
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2009
Ibime:

We cannot leave the Niger Delta and keep to Sanusi affairs.

When Beaf comes on Nairaland to advocate for Henry Okah, is he not advocating for someone that the constitution defines as a criminal?

Phock speaking in niceties.

The constitution is illegal in so far as it wasnt agreed on by the people, through lawmakers elected in a free and fair manner.

The constitution can never be legal until we have a free and fair election in Nigeria.

So we are now comparing Henry Okah and Sanusi. Do you think that is right? Mind you, one has been in jail.
The Niger Delta issue is one of life and death, something more profound than Sanusi's belief in sharia.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2009
goggs:

l respect Sanusi for speaking his mind. his position is clear, anyone who doesn't agree should counter in like manner not tear at his person. its the twenty first century people! how we gonna have sovereign national conference if we are this intolerant?

We need a national conference precisely because we are intolerant. Some would rather force sharia down our throats; we reject it.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by naijaking1: 4:43pm On Sep 09, 2009
adigun101:

I have requested proof of the above.
What did his risk management do for UBA? (Who got acquired by Elumelu's STB)
What did his 6 months MDship do for FBN.
Where are his economic articles and lectures. And why can't I find them on google or on his wikipedia profile ?
You are still refusing to answer these questions.

This man is the CBN governor, not a professor of religious philosophy, why can't we focus on the article if any he wrote on economics, finance, and banking.

A true scholar would have articles in reputable professional journals all over the World.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Lagosboy: 4:47pm On Sep 09, 2009
What amazes me is how this sharia issue as crept into a CBN governor going after corprorate thieves
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 09, 2009
naijaking1:

This man is the CBN governor, not a professor of religious philosophy, why can't we focus on the article if any he wrote on economics, finance, and banking.

A true scholar would have articles in reputable professional journals all over the World.

I warned Jarus that it is better for us all to stick to Sanusi's economics

he said he wants to talk about public affairs opinions

yet he wont even state his mind on Sanusi's endorsement on the abuse and disregard of our constitution.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 4:50pm On Sep 09, 2009
Lagosboy:

Sanusi is right in saying what he said and every muslim does. The issue is every muslim believe the laws of God are above any law but he has not said the laws should be used in Abia state. The sharia goes beyond the penal code and that is what sanusi has always said inhis articles that reducing sharia to just the penal code by the nothern establishment is hypocritical and an injustice to islam.

Has Sanusi advocated sharia in the Niger Delta??

Sanusi believes in sharia as a supreme law just as Asari Dokubo will beleive it as well as the laws of the quran. Its implementation and practicallity in the whole Nigeria is a different ball game altogether. Every muslim beleivs in it in principle but the implementation is where everyone differs.No one has said the laws should be used in other parts of nigeria and mind you I am not i support of sharia in the north as it is been practised. The social justice of sharia has to be implemented in full before any penal code. Social justice is not in those sharia states.

Sharap!
Stop being a tribalist and leave where I come from out of your mediocre Sanusi arguments.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 4:53pm On Sep 09, 2009
Lagosboy:

What amazes me is how this sharia issue as crept into a CBN governor going after corprorate thieves

You don't understand? Let the title of the article be your guide. Read it!
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 09, 2009
Lagosboy:

Sanusi is right in saying what he said and every muslim does. The issue is every muslim believe the laws of God are above any law but he has not said the laws should be used in Abia state. The sharia goes beyond the penal code and that is what sanusi has always said inhis articles that reducing sharia to just the penal code by the nothern establishment is hypocritical and an injustice to islam.

Has Sanusi advocated sharia in the Niger Delta??

Sanusi believes in sharia as a supreme law just as Asari Dokubo will beleive it as well as the laws of the quran. Its implementation and practicallity in the whole Nigeria is a different ball game altogether. Every muslim beleivs in it in principle but the implementation is where everyone differs.No one has said the laws should be used in other parts of nigeria and mind you I am not i support of sharia in the north as it is been practised. The social justice of sharia has to be implemented in full before any penal code. Social justice is not in those sharia states.

What you make of the laws in the qur'an should guard your personal life and probably in your relationships within the mosque, not used to judge other residents on the streets of Kano.

It is illegal for me attack someone on the streets of Owerri because the person did something my bible does not agree with but yet allowed by the laws of Nigeria.

For me to suggest that its ok to take the laws into my hand and purnish the person according to the teachings of my bible is lawless and people can only exibit such timidity in a bannana republic like Nigeria.

we need to wake up.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by naijaking1: 4:57pm On Sep 09, 2009
Ibime:

What rubbish! The constitution is illegal in so far as the Govt can come and take your land without offering adequate compensation and drilling for oil on it. Go and tell our brothers in the creeks that the constitution is not illegal.

The fact remains, Sanusi has never opposed a change of constitution that would give us fairplay. His right to Sharia is being respected in so much as his people have the political muscle to make it happen regardless of what the constitution says. His hypocisy would be if he resisted devolvement of power to you also.

Your disdain for the present constitution and support for Sanusi are mutually self contradictory. You're terribly confused.
Without the constitution, as flawed as its, do you think Hausa/Fulani people would have continued their political subjugation of this country? I know for sure that without this type of constitution Sanusi could never have seen the light of day with his humble Bsc in economics, and masters in islamic studies.

Do you know how many people from Delta, Anambra, Rivers who have better qualifications, and yet did not have opportunities like him? Before you break your back hunching over to kiss his ass, you've got to ask yourself, if Sanusi had come from any of these southern states, would he even be mentioned as a director in UBA, FBN, not to talk of CBN.

He, and his folks from Kano/Kaduna/Katsina are direct beneficiaries of this screwed-up constitution which you too want to change.
As to whether Sanusi is as bad as his brothers in active politics, I l eave you to ponder that answer when you sober up a little.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Ibime(m): 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ Naijaking,

Sanusi is a sociologist and theologist as well and has written articles in that capacity. Beaf and Mikeansy have attacked his views on that, and thats what we are discussing here.

Beaf:

So we are now comparing Henry Okah and Sanusi. Do you think that is right? Mind you, one has been in jail.
The Niger Delta issue is one of life and death, something more profound than Sanusi's belief in sharia.

Stop speaking in double-tones. Did you support the jailing of Okah? No! Then you have disrespected the constitution.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Lagosboy: 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2009
mikeansy:

What you make of the laws in the qur'an should guard your personal life and probably in your relationships within the mosque, not used to judge other residents on the streets of Kano.

It is illegal for me attack someone on the streets of Owerri because the person did something my bible does not agree with but yet allowed by the laws of Nigeria.

For me to suggest that its ok to take the laws into my hand and purnish the person according to the teachings of my bible is lawless and people can only exibit such timidity in a bannana republic like Nigeria.

we need to wake up.

Although i made a mistake by going to the issue of sharia here as i never wanted to stray arguements and i have even mdofied my post before i realised i had been quoted.

Eevry muslim i repeat believes in sharia in prinicple but its implementation in Nigeria is another issue entirely, Sanusi as muslim say he beleives in it so what is the big fuss. He has advocated for its implementation especially in other region of the country and he hast also said other faths should not advocate for whatever laws the deem fit to suit themsleves.

Why not lets focus on the Sanusi the CBN governor and not islam the faith of sanusi.
When Soludo took the arabic of the naira notes i dont remember such outburst by the whole nation of Soludo a cathlic running a cahtolic christian agenda and trying to christianise the whole country.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 09, 2009
Ibime:

Stop speaking in double-tones. Did you support the jailing of Okah? No! Then you have disrespected the constitution.

doesnt get more simplistic or illogical than that.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2009
Lagosboy:

Although i made a mistake by going to the issue of sharia here as i never wanted to stray arguements and i have even mdofied my post before i realised i had been quoted.

Eevry muslim i repeat believes in sharia in prinicple but its implementation in Nigeria is another issue entirely, Sanusi as muslim say he beleives in it so what is the big fuss. He has advocated for its implementation especially in other region of the country and he hast also said other faths should not advocate for whatever laws the deem fit to suit themsleves.

Why not lets focus on the Sanusi the CBN governor and not islam the faith of sanusi.
When Soludo took the arabic of the naira notes i dont remember such outburst by the whole nation of Soludo a cathlic running a cahtolic christian agenda and trying to christianise the whole country.

Stop being funny man! Is arabic one of our official languages?
Soludo de-Islamised the Naira.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Ibime(m): 5:22pm On Sep 09, 2009
naijaking1:

Your disdain for the present constitution and support for Sanusi are mutually self contradictory. You're terribly confused.
Without the constitution, as flawed as its, do you think Hausa/Fulani people would have continued their political subjugation of this country? I know for sure that without this type of constitution Sanusi could never have seen the light of day with his humble Bsc in economics, and masters in islamic studies.

Do you know how many people from Delta, Anambra, Rivers who have better qualifications, and yet did not have opportunities like him? Before you break your back hunching over to kiss his ass, you've got to ask yourself, if Sanusi had come from any of these southern states, would he even be mentioned as a director in UBA, FBN, not to talk of CBN.

He, and his folks from Kano/Kaduna/Katsina are direct beneficiaries of this screwed-up constitution which you too want to change.

The rubbish you have written up here is not worth responding to.

Since when does any constitution determine that public post holders should be PHD-holders?

A simpleton like Hank Paulson can rise to be Treasury Sec. in Yankee with a simple Bsc in English, and MBA and you are here yarning opata.

You would soon be telling me that Yankee consitution is faulty for allowing someone like Paulson to rise to that position.

Dr Peter Odili is the biggest psychophant to ever govern my state. I guess he is more qualified than Sanusi under your "phantom" constitution which determines that the best man for the job always gets it.

As far as I am concerned, Sanusi has stepped in, and sacked mothaphockas who were not doing their jobs properly with no regard for their status. Thats all I wanna see.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Beaf: 5:34pm On Sep 09, 2009
^One simple fact is, if you guys have strenuously argued that the constitution is illegal; then the whole government is illegal, our passports are illegal. That argument is not funny and is wholly unsustainable.

If you need to go such lengths to defend Sanusi's mind, then it clearly is not worth defending and the argument is not worth having.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Lagosboy: 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2009
Beaf:

Stop being funny man! Is arabic one of our official languages?
Soludo de-Islamised the Naira.

grin grin grin
Beaf:

^One simple fact is, if you guys have strenuously argued that the constitution is illegal; then the whole government is illegal, our passports are illegal. That argument is not funny and is wholly unsustainable.

If you need to go such lengths to defend Sanusi's mind, then it clearly is not worth defending and the argument is not worth having.

How many consitution has Nigeria created since 1960 , if i am right it will be about 4-6 aside from the many dcrees of th emilitary. The 1999 consitution created in a rush within 4-5 months with so many defects in it. It is the same consitution the Governors of the nothern states used in creating sharia for their states and the supreme court could not prove it to be illegal.

I also wonder why we having discussion on the consitution , Can someone show me where Sanusi violated the constitution of Nigeria??
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 09, 2009
Hellllllooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Lagosboy I am not asking Sanusi not to believe in his religion.

In fact I have lived with Muslims so many times both as Room Mates and Housemates. I have never preached christainity to them because I do not consider my religion better than anyone elses and do not want anyone trying to impose their religion on me.

Get is straight, I am not attacking Sanusi for being a Muslim, neither am I saying its wrong for Northern Nigerians to be Muslims

I recognise and accept the diverse nature of Nigeria, all I am saying here is

We have seen people kill there compatriots when Prophet Mohammed is cartooned in Denmark, we have seen Northern Muslims attack fellow Nigerians because of the politics of Gaza Strip. So this is a very serious issue.
How does a nation remain one when they can't even agree to a constitution that binds all that is independent of our varrying cultures.

What I attack is Sanusi's notion that it is ok to have a set of made up criminals laws in certain parts of the country even though the promulgation of such laws is illegal according to the Nigerian constitution.

He is also saying that Southerners going to the North should learn of a new set of criminal laws as they would when they are going abroad.

Hellllllooooooooo!!!!!!!! WE ARE IN ONE NIGERIA!!!!!!

And nothing defines that more than the respect of the constitution. If anyone is tired of the country let them call for disintegration.

We can not continue to have one Nigeria when it suits certain people, and then all sorts of innovations and discriminations against fellow Nigerians when it suits.

The constitution is supreme, anybody who believe's that his religous book is more supreme than the Nigerian constitution can only live with that delusion within his household and his place of worship. So long as Nigeria is concerned we will continue to be judged on our interaction with others using the constitution.

ON THIS OCCASSION SANUSI SHOULD BE PROUD ENOUGH TO DENOUNCE SUCH A TIMID AND MEDIAVAL AGE ENDORSEMENT HE MADE. AND JARUS SHOULD BE MAN ENOUGH TO SAY SANUSI GOT IT FLATLY WRONG ON THIS ONE.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 09, 2009
Lagosboy

I have shown earlier how what he said is inconsistent with section 277 of the constitution
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Lagosboy: 5:55pm On Sep 09, 2009
Milkeansy please pardon me for my lazy read in case i missed sumthin out but please could you post the extract of his statement which seems to violate section 277 and state the year he wrote article as well.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 09, 2009
not sure what difference the year he wrote the Article makes. If it has not been retracted, then the statement stands as his view

Excerpts of Sanusi's article.

The Islamic faith has never accepted the dichotomy between Religion and Politics. Political life for a Muslim is guided by Sharia and in all those aspects of law where an explicit religious injunction exists, a Muslim expects this to be held as valid above any other law. Fortunately, most of the areas of conflict between Islamic Law and Secular Law have to do with the law of personal estates (including inheritance), some aspects of contract, and criminal law, especially as it pertains to capital punishment. If muslims wish to have these laws applied on them, and promulgated by their elected representatives, there is no reason why this should pose a problem. There is likely to be a problem however, with punishment for certain civil and criminal offences such as libel, theft and adultery if a non-Muslim is involved. My own feeling is that anyone living in a state should acquaint himself with the operative law in that State before committing a crime. We are all subject to that when we go to other countries. Indeed, the law we have in Nigeria is made for us and we are subject to it. This is one major area that needs to be talked about at any conference and this explains why the Sharia issue always comes up in constitutional conferences. To ask Muslims to abandon Sharia in the name of a Secular Nigeria is to give them an unjust choice. The matter is not one of being either Muslim or Nigerian when they can be both Muslim and Nigerian. The attempt to turn Nigeria into a Secular State seeks the erosion of Muslim identity and history. This will continue to be a source of conflict as Muslims will always resist it, with justification. Nigeria is a multi-religious state which should, however, ensure that no religion is given preference over others.

The constitution

277. (1) The sharia Court of Appeal of a State shall, in addition to such other jurisdiction as may be conferred upon it by the law of the State, exercise such appellate and supervisory jurisdiction in civil proceedings involving questions of Islamic personal Law which the court is competent to decide in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, the sharia Court of Appeal shall be competent to decide -

(a) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a marriage concluded in accordance with that Law, including a question relating to the validity or dissolution of such a marriage or a question that depends on such a marriage and relating to family relationship or the guardianship of an infant;

(b) where all the parties to the proceedings are muslims, any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a marriage, including the validity or dissolution of that marriage, or regarding family relationship, a founding or the guarding of an infant;

(c) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a wakf, gift, will or succession where the endower, donor, testator or deceased person is a muslim;

(d) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding an infant, prodigal or person of unsound mind who is a muslim or the maintenance or the guardianship of a muslim who is physically or mentally infirm; or

(e) where all the parties to the proceedings, being muslims, have requested the court that hears the case in the first instance to determine that case in accordance with Islamic personal law, any other question.

1. (1) This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on the authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

(2) The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall not be governed, nor shall any persons or group of persons take control of the Government of Nigeria or any part thereof, except in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.

(3) If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.

The man by his statement endorsed a blatant dis-regard for the constitution

He suggested that Nigerians should learn new laws when they go up North as they would when they go abroad (I did not know Nigerians were immigrants in some parts of our ONE NIGERIA).

The man also endorsed the illegal widening of the jurisdiction of the Sharia law from civil matters to criminal matters.

The man endorsed the illegal widening and institutionalization of a law that was meant to be for all intents and purposes to reslove civil and personal matters where strictly as stated by the constitution all parties to the disagreement consent to sharia being the law to resolve the issue.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Lagosboy: 6:52pm On Sep 09, 2009
I want to believe we are reading the same article.

Political life for a Muslim is guided by Sharia and in all those aspects of law where an explicit religious injunction exists, a Muslim expects this to be held as valid above any other law

Meaning if the quran tells you that when a Man dies his parents take 1/3 of his wealth  if he has no kids and another law tells you otherwise you are obliged to follow the laws of the quran.

My own feeling is that anyone living in a state should acquaint himself with the operative law in that State before committing a crime. We are all subject to that when we go to other countries. Indeed, the law we have in Nigeria is made for us and we are subject to it 

The statement state here can mean state as in a country and state within a country i personally thinks he means country here as he further says "the law we have in Nigeria is made for us and we are subject to it. However even if he mean state within a country, in a presidential system or federalism which we claim to implement in Nigeria any state can have its on set of laws and only issues like defence, foreign policy and some other things will be united. The US have states with different laws and an example is death penality which is a criminal code. You commit murder in some state you go to jail while you commit murder in Texas they will snuff the life out of you.

In the light of this , Sanusi has made no error neither has his statment violated the constitution in regard to states having different laws. You forget that it was the same consitution that the nothern states justified for the implementation of the sharia and the supreme courn never said the violated the consitution so yur arguement in my humble  opinion doesnt stand.

The section 277 of the consitution you quoted has been in the consitution since 1960 and it implies the customary laws and personal laws of the sharia and its implementation.

I am rushing out now might explain better if you dont understand my point when i get back.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 09, 2009
Funny

The law is what it is untill it is reviewed, it does not matter whether it is written in 1900

People should stop making up laws, with all due respect Lagosboy you have displayed this syndrome once again.

There is no need telling me what obtains in America, we have a law for God's sake.
We are bound by it untill it is changed.

The States had a right to cite the constitution to justify the implementation of Sharia Appeal Courts in the states.

My argument here is not the existence of sharia courts of Appeal itself or that there are Northen States that have chosen to adopt it.
My argument is the juridiction of the sharia law as promulgated by the states.

Those who challenged it at the Supreme Court challenged the very existence of Sharia court of Appeal in the constitution. There is nothing wrong with its existence in the 1999 constitution and the way it is written as the 1999 constitution recognises the Sharia Court of Appeal like every other customary court of appeal arround the country.

But my dispute here which is also in tandem with the provisions of the 1999 constitution is that the states have widened its jurisdiction beyond the scope allowed by 1999 constitution and are implementing it as a way of life and law which should affect every facet of life including criminal laws against the State.

If those who took this case to the supreme court where challenging the jurisdiction and the extent to which it was applied using section 277 they would have won. You and I know that the court does not grant you what you did not ask for. So since those who took the issue there where only challenging the existence of Sharia Courts of Appeal in the Northern States, they failed and they should. That ruling by the supreme court is very accurate.

But I doubt if anyone takes a State like Kano to the Supreme Court accusing them of widening the jurisdiction Sharia Appeal Court and the Sharia law beyond the scope allowed by the 1999 constitution, I don't think they will loose.

And it is this widening beyond civil matters and resolution of personal issues where all parties involved consent to it; that I oppose. Sanusi by his statement endorsed this illegal widening that is why I think he needs to appologise to Nigerians.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by illusion2: 8:06pm On Sep 09, 2009
LagosBoy,
while I appreciate your love & defence of you religion,I must tell you this is a very serious issue which we must all sit down to analyse seriously. Now tell me: Sharia isn't been practised in Lagos stae,does that mean all the muslims in Lagos are somehow lesser muslims

The moment we dissociate ourselves from these parochial thinking the better.

I suggest you read about the life of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk]Mustapa Kemal Ataturk[/url],the father of Turkey & how he emphasised Turkish SECULARITY over islam,he forsaw the problems associated with mixing religion with politics.

For example according to Sharia,anyone that converts from Islam is supposed to be put to death !!! shocked shocked shocked  Doesn't that contradict frredom of religion guaranteed under the Nigerian constitution??

Everybody should practise his religion in his house & place of worship,don't impose it on people ,or else. . . . .
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Lagosboy: 11:25pm On Sep 09, 2009
just a jump into NL Milkneasy i will reply in more detail tmr

@Illusion
illusion2:

LagosBoy,
while I appreciate your love & defence of you religion,I must tell you this is a very serious issue which we must all sit down to analyse seriously. Now tell me: Sharia isn't been practised in Lagos stae,does that mean all the muslims in Lagos are somehow lesser muslims

The moment we dissociate ourselves from these parochial thinking the better.

I suggest you read about the life of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Kemal_Atat%C3%BCrk]Mustapa Kemal Ataturk[/url],the father of Turkey & how he emphasised Turkish SECULARITY over islam,he forsaw the problems associated with mixing religion with politics.

For example according to Sharia,anyone that converts from Islam is supposed to be put to death
!!! shocked shocked shocked Doesn't that contradict frredom of religion guaranteed under the Nigerian constitution??

Everybody should practise his religion in his house & place of worship,don't impose it on people ,or else. . . . .

That is not true, it is a general misconception and i repeat it is not ANYONE. I do not wan tto digress the issue at hand i suggest you go to the islamic section as there is a thread on there currently by Richyblack on this issue and read some insightful posts of muslims on the issue. If you dont understand it i take it on myself to explain in more detail to you if you require.

I am no fan of Ataturk and i have read his history and i know more than half the turkish population do not like him either for his views. Otherwise the AK party will not have been voted to power in the first instance and erdogan will not be prime minister.]

The issue i repeat should not be about sharia and lets refocus to the CBN governors role as a CBN governor.
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by illusion2: 11:45pm On Sep 09, 2009
Lagosboy:

just a jump into NL Milkneasy i will reply in more detail tmr

@Illusion
That is not true, it is a general misconception and i repeat it is not ANYONE. I do not wan tto digress the issue at hand i suggest you go to the islamic section as there is a thread on there currently by Richyblack on this issue and read some insightful posts of muslims on the issue. If you dont understand it i take it on myself to explain in more detail to you if you require.
I am no fan of Ataturk and i have read his history and i know more than half the turkish population do not like him either for his views. Otherwise the AK party will not have been voted to power in the first instance and erdogan will not be prime minister.]
The issue i repeat should not be about sharia and lets refocus to the CBN governors role as a CBN governor.
Unfortunately,the issue IS abt Sharia,I'll follow up on Islam section on killing of apostates,however,your view of Ataturk is really off the mark I wonder if you sure of what you are saying.

The country IS NAMED after him,he died over 70 years ago !!! Erodogan's party can never win anything if they as much as fail to recognise him.

Have you been to Turkey before?? Well I have & u dare not mention Atarturk's name casually,so saying he's not loved 'by half of the population is very ,very wrong!!

The point I'm making is that Turkey is 98% Muslim,half of our population,but more than 3 times our GDP. A developed economy in its own right. They have succeded becos they recognised very early(thanks to Atarturk),that religion & politics shouldn't mix,added to the fact that they resisted the inflence of 'Arabic Culture'.

But in Nigeria (as rightly identified by Sanusi in one of his write-ups) we are the holiest people in the world,we take our religion seriously as well as our corruption grin.

I visited kano some years back & was shocked that street signs were written in ARABIC  shocked shocked shocked NOT HAUSA,tell me what does that tell you about religion & nation building. . .this in a state with over 60% illiteracy  cry cry cry
Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by Nobody: 12:19am On Sep 10, 2009
I visited kano some years back & was shocked that street signs were written in ARABIC     NOT HAUSA

is that so? They'd better shape up and get with the times.

an artist and publisher of a magazine in Amazigh, wants to see Berber replace Arabic as the official language of the country.

"We think it would be appropriate to change part of our constitution so that Arabic is no longer required for legal documents or for any official communication," he insists.

"Most Moroccans grow up speaking Berber - why should they be at a disadvantage in having to use classical Arabic which is a foreign language whenever they brush up against bureaucracy?"

The government may not be ready yet to entertain this idea which seems far-fetched to even the majority of the Amazigh themselves, but the teaching of Amazigh in public schools and at university level could in the future lead to it being recognised as a national language - as it already is in Algeria, Mali and Niger.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8233812.stm

Re: The Mind Of Sanusi On Nigeria by okunoba(m): 2:22am On Sep 10, 2009
We humans only see what we want to see. Looking forward to a good objective analysis of Sanusi`s writings, so far most of the replies to this thread have been disappointing, to say the least.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Eases Access To Student Loan In New Bill Sent By President Tinubu To NASS / Nigeria And Niger Republic To Partner In Uranium Exploration / I’ll Defeat Buhari, Atiku Through Ballot Revolution, Says Olawepo-hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.