Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,052 members, 7,810,930 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu (14491 Views)

Obaseki Doesn’t Know The Full Meaning Of APC –ize-iyamu / After Winning Edo, We Will Go For Entire South-east, South-south – Oyegun / Be Patient, Fuel Crisis To End In Two Weeks, NNPC Begs Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by PastorIyamu2016(m): 10:35am On Jul 03, 2016
[size=14pt]Edo: We will surmount PDP crisis to beat APC — Ize-Iyamu [/size]

By Gabriel Onogholase.

Benin-City Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu is the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the September 10, 2016 governorship election in Edo State. In this interview, Ize Iyamu speaks on his ambition to govern the state, his reconciliation moves to his opponents and their supporters that lost the governorship primary, his recent invitation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, among other issues.

Now that you have emerged the candidate of your party, what is the next line of action?

We are trying to put a campaign team together. What we had before was a vehicle to get to the stage we are now. It will be wrong to continue with that same structure. Now, I’m no longer Osagie Ize-Iyamu, an aspirant trying to get the ticket of the PDP, but the candidate of the PDP. I must now sit with the leadership of the party to work out the campaign arrangements, the itinerary and the campaign structure. So, what we are doing now is more of consultation and trying to put up a structure. You also know that we have to do some reconciliation with those who are aggrieved. Some people supported other aspirants, but having won, one must stretch his hands and reach out to them. They are all PDP members and we must try to bring everybody together.

Talking about reconciliation, how far have you gone in that direction?

We are reaching out and our opponents are also reaching out. We are optimistic that we will come out of the whole exercise stronger than we were before. One thing is that you can’t win everybody, but we will do our best to reach out to aggrieved people. We know that some people, for some reasons, might decide that they are not comfortable and that they want to leave. There is nothing one can do about that. The good thing is that in the other party, there are so many, who also want to come and identity with us. From the eighteen local government areas, we have people who want to join us.

Are you not bothered about the leadership crisis currently affecting your party, the PDP?

A lot of our members are worried but, quite frankly, I’m not. I believe it will sort itself out. I know that there is a lot of engagement ongoing at various levels and at the end of the day; the matter will be sorted out. To worry about it, amounts to distraction. I have chosen to focus on the issues here rather than issues I have no control over. I’m happy that the primary we had was witnessed by INEC and they have also expressed satisfaction with the transparency of the process.

One of the issues raised by the APC candidate was that the PDP government that you were part of killed the civil service in Edo State. To what level is the claim correct?

Maybe he was misquoted or he didn’t know the situation. On the other hand, the Edo State civil service has never had it this bad. The service is totally depleted and is in dire need of new hands. It is very difficult to find anyone who has been recruited in the past eight years. That means that everybody in the civil service came in long before now. Many people have died and many have retired, while punitive dismissals have been carried out without regards to extant rules. In many place, lots of directors have been summarily dismissed without even taking their cases to the Civil Service Commission. I know that before we left, we injected fresh blood into the system. Young professionals such as lawyers, doctors, engineers, teachers and town planners were employed. Today, how many physics or other science teachers do we have in the public schools? Less than 20. How many general surgeons? Two. How many dermatologists? One on contract employment. When you look at the statistics, it is shocking. It is only one quantity surveyor, who is an external person, that does all the bills of quantity in this state. The same man will quantify, supervise and okay payment.

How prepared are you to face the APC bearing in mind that the leadership of the Edo APC said the PDP was dead in Edo?

How can a party that has two out of the three senators in a state be dead? Out of the nine House of Representatives members in this state, the PDP has five. That was an election that was conducted a little over a year ago; even the governor of the state, which party is representing him in the state House of Assembly? PDP.

So what are you be bringing into government?

We are coming to government with a clear-cut agenda. We have a clear idea of how we will start and where we are going. We are not coming to government by trying to determine our destination. We have spelt out our ideas in a very simple manner. The economy of the state will be revitalized in such a way that we will not rely solely on what comes from Abuja. We intend to reinvent our public service because it has been destroyed in the past seven to eight years. The morale is currently at the lowest ebb and many core departments don’t even have the personnel. A lot of things are being given to external consultants. The level of corruption in the system is staggering. Money that should have been in government’s coffers are in private pockets. Projects are not being advertised and there is no due process in job awards. When you finally get figures of how much jobs were done, they are scandalous. Government cannot disclose even during commissioning stages how much was spent on projects. We have a comprehensive plan that covers every sector and every part of our state because we believe in even development. We don’t develop a place at the detriment of another. Development can go on simultaneously and we believe that Edo State has enough resources to go beyond where we are now. In every area, whether it is health, economy, agriculture sports or tourism, we have a detailed plan of what we intend to do. Sincerely, I believe the present government has been very wicked to Edo people and youths.

How can you explain the fact that this government has not employed teachers in the past seven and half years despite the obvious vacancies in the schools?

Apart from the urban schools, you need to go to the rural areas to see the pathetic situation. In many of these rural schools, they have one principal and one teacher. The public service including the civil service is suffering acute shortage of manpower. Most of the legal cases of the government are not being done by the Ministry of Justice, but people outside. What of industries? When I was in government, Bendel Breweries was giving the state millions every month as contribution to the state’s IGR. What about agriculture? Government’s attention to agriculture has been zero, Sports? Edo used to be number one in sports. How come we can no longer compete?

Many state governors appear to have hijacked the responsibilities of the local government chairmen. Will you free councils if you become governor?

Definitely. The difference between Pastor Ize-Iyamu and many of these people is that I am not afraid to highlight what I intend to do. We intend to ensure strict supervision of council resources and expenditure. We shall, however, encourage financial autonomy for the local government councils and create Local Governments Development Areas (LCDAs) so as to fast track development in these areas. We will also give freedom to local government councils in order to function in accordance with their mandates and protect council chairmen from executive intimidation and constant harassment and unwarranted removal. Council chairmen are elected just like governors, but it is unfortunate that they now live in fear. Their tenures could be brought to a sudden end with an announcement by the governor. How can you remove a man who was elected by his people just because you are governor? You removed the chairman of Orhionmwon, who was elected by his people. You removed chairman of Oredo, even Etsako Central when you are from Etsako West. That amounted to lawlessness and abuse of power. These councils have been castrated and cannot function anymore. State government and supervisors of local governments should publish what the councils are bringing as IGR. Do you know that just as you share VAT, the councils are entitled to 10 per cent of the IGR of the state government, have they ever been given? They have actually aided the financial mess of these councils to the extent that they cannot pay salaries or complete projects. When last did you see council chairman commission a project. On a monthly basis, they are servicing the people that are supposed to supervise them. All kinds of instructions are also being given them to fulfil, thereby leaving them even more indebted. We will empower the council. We will encourage them to explore and exploit their revenue sources. A lot of them have been hijacked by political touts. Money meant for councils cannot be kept in the houses of political touts; it must be returned.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/edo-will-surmount-pdp-crisis-beat-apc-ize-iyamu/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by PastorIyamu2016(m): 10:36am On Jul 03, 2016
There are talks that if elected into office, your government will probe the current government. Do you actually have such plans?

When you use the word probe, it is like you have concluded that they are guilty. I am a lawyer by profession. Of course, there must be handover and the handover note will be thoroughly investigated. Sometimes, the word, probe, is given a negative connotation. I’m happy you didn’t use the word, “prosecute.” Certainly, Edo money belongs to Edo people. If you find out that some of the money went into wrong hands, you take steps within the law to ensure that the money comes back. Our intention is, however, not to witch-hunt anybody. I’m not coming with a mindset to punish or pursue anybody. Certainly, we will look at what is in place.

The governor said you will be the easiest candidate to defeat in the election. How easy will it be defeating you?

If that was what he said, then he should go to sleep. If he believes it will be easy defeating me, then he should be celebrating. How can a governor, who said it would be easy to defeat me, say that I would be moving from one EFCC cell to another when they are busy campaigning. He is afraid and, in that statement, he has actually expressed his fear. If EFCC will not help him, what is he going to do? Like I said, the governor should allow his candidate to speak. He (Oshiomhole) should know now that this is not a third term agenda, unless he wants to tell us that he is the one contesting. By the time campaigns start, we will know who is afraid of whom.

Nothing has been heard lately about your invitation by the EFCC lately. Is the matter over or when are you going back there?

EFCC’s invitation is in the public domain. I thank God that the EFCC did not invite me because of any crime I committed. I was the coordinator for the former president in Edo. Money was sent to Edo and, in conjunction with two others, we were told to witness the arrival of the money and to ensure that the money was given to those it was meant for. The money was meant for the election and it is a common knowledge that election anywhere in the world is capital intensive. There was a budget and every local government area had an amount specified for them. The money was collected and signed for. Those who signed and collected the money also went to their local government areas to disburse it. That was what I explained to the EFCC. As far as we were concerned, the president had an elaborate fund raising that was televised live. I didn’t go there but I saw it on TV. One naturally expected that it was the proceeds of the fund raising that was brought to us. It is instructive to know that I personally did not take one kobo out of the money. Because of my position, I saw myself as someone that should be contributing, not taking out of money that was brought. So people like us, despite what came, we were adding to it. Perhaps if I had taken some, the issue of Pastor must come and make refund. So, I went to the EFCC and they went to town saying that Pastor has been arrested, Pastor has been detained. In fact, it became a regular song here until I got the ticket. I’m surprised it has stopped now. Before I got the ticket, they were singing it every day as if the intention was to discourage PDP delegates. They had hoped that the more they echoed the story, the likelihood that the PDP delegates would become more scared of supporting me. Now, it has stopped, but I’m sure they are thinking of other things to say. I can assure you that the EFCC thing is not a problem. I have always said the EFCC is a public institution and I must say, to the best of my knowledge, that they have conducted themselves in a very professional manner. If they were to be used, despite my innocence, they could decide to detain me and take me to court. I know the characters on the other side have made overtures, saying, “Detain Pastor, hold him, keep him.” That is a wishful thinking. I will be around to campaign and, by the grace of God, we will win the election resoundingly.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/edo-will-surmount-pdp-crisis-beat-apc-ize-iyamu/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by temitemi1(m): 10:41am On Jul 03, 2016
IzeIyamu is a dream come tru for my Edo pple.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:43am On Jul 03, 2016
This is lengthy but worth reading.
I’m happy that the primary we had was witnessed by INEC and they have also expressed satisfaction with the transparency of the process.

10 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 10:45am On Jul 03, 2016
Join the winning team.......IzeIyamu all the way

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:45am On Jul 03, 2016
The money was collected and signed for. Those who signed and collected the money also went to their local government areas to disburse it. That was what I explained to the EFCC.

A clear conscience fears no accusation... No wonder Edo want Iyamu

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by temitemi1(m): 10:46am On Jul 03, 2016
No doubt,POI is the next Edo Governor.
TonyeBarcanista:

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 10:47am On Jul 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Its worth reading Sir, I took my time to read it...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:48am On Jul 03, 2016
How can a party that has two out of the three senators in a state be dead? Out of the nine House of Representatives members in this state, the PDP has five. That was an election that was conducted a little over a year ago; even the governor of the state, which party is representing him in the state House of Assembly? PDP.
Oshiomole is even hated in his local constituency. it is safe to assume that Oshiomole won't win even his own ward come September.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:49am On Jul 03, 2016
Lalasticlala though this is not snake related it still deserves your attention Sir!

7 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by MizMyColi(f): 10:51am On Jul 03, 2016
My Sis who happens to be an exco in Uniben's Parliament introduced me to Pastor Ize Iyamu.

People have love for the man.
I pray he wins.

Oshiomole is a big flop and should not be allowed to install a bigger flop who defrauds people of money.
Oshiomole made the worst mistake ever when he denied PDP in the state the right to use a state owned Stadium.

No rigger, tyrant or fraudster is bigger than the will of the people.

POI all the way.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by BossKratos: 10:56am On Jul 03, 2016
Hope say dis 1 no be another false prophet?

Although the past pdp governments in that state did not cover themselves in any sort of glory only lootery!

Do edolites need more of the same?

5 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:57am On Jul 03, 2016
MizMyColi:
My Sis who happens to be an exco in Uniben's Parliament introduced me to Pastor Ize Iyamu.

I pray he wins.

Oshiomole is a big flop and should not be allowed to install a bigger flop who defrauds people of money.
Oshiomole made the worst mistake ever when he denied PDP in the state the right to use a state owned Stadium.

POI all the way.
I trust you to make the youths proud anywhere...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 10:58am On Jul 03, 2016
One of the issues raised by the APC candidate was that the PDP government that you were part of killed the civil service in Edo State. To what level is the claim correct?

Maybe he was misquoted or he didn’t know the situation. On the other hand, the Edo State civil service has never had it this bad. The service is totally depleted and is in dire need of new hands. It is very difficult to find anyone who has been recruited in the past eight years. That means that everybody in the civil service came in long before now. Many people have died and many have retired, while punitive dismissals have been carried out without regards to extant rules. In many place, lots of directors have been summarily dismissed without even taking their cases to the Civil Service Commission. I know that before we left, we injected fresh blood into the system. Young professionals such as lawyers, doctors, engineers, teachers and town planners were employed. Today, how many physics or other science teachers do we have in the public schools? Less than 20. How many general surgeons? Two. How many dermatologists? One on contract employment. When you look at the statistics, it is shocking. It is only one quantity surveyor, who is an external person, that does all the bills of quantity in this state. The same man will quantify, supervise and okay payment.
The civil service has never been this bad....No single recruitment for the past 8 year......and it's funny that Oshio-ole was once a labour leader.
Comrade Gov. Is a disgrace to Labour Unions.

23 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 11:02am On Jul 03, 2016
MizMyColi:

I pray he wins.

POI all the way.
God bless you for this honest comment, you have said it all.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by engineerboat(m): 11:03am On Jul 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Lalasticlala though this is not snake related it still deserves your attention Sir!

Long Sweet,
Straight to the Point,
Inerview.

POI sha ma won niran, fear no foes

9 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 11:04am On Jul 03, 2016
Edo people made a mistake electing this go and die governor undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by mightyhaze: 11:07am On Jul 03, 2016
Edo is pdp,pdp is Edo !

15 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 11:07am On Jul 03, 2016
IzeIyamu more popular than a sitting Governor grin

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 11:10am On Jul 03, 2016
A Governor with no heart........ undecided

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by ShaqFu: 11:17am On Jul 03, 2016
MizMyColi:

I pray he wins.

POI all the way.
A pastor can and should never be trusted.

3 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by Dcomrade(m): 11:23am On Jul 03, 2016
ShaqFu:
A pastor can and should never be trusted.
Thats why we don't trust Buahari government because Osinbajor is a Pastor in his government undecided

20 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by ShaqFu: 11:25am On Jul 03, 2016
Dcomrade:

Thats why we don't trust Buahari government because Osinbajor is a Pastor in his government undecided
Is Osinbajo the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by TheFreeOne: 11:28am On Jul 03, 2016
I will be around to campaign and, by the grace of God, we will win the election resoundingly.

Hmnn.....Anyone foresee osho relocating temporarily with his mulatto wife to Cape Verde after the elections....

Time will tell.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by STONEGEORGE15(m): 11:49am On Jul 03, 2016
Once beaten, twice shy. Electing Oshiomole was a mistake. Electing another Oshiom-OLE (Obaseki) will be a double mistake. Be wise! Pastor Izeiyamu is the next governor of Edo.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by STONEGEORGE15(m): 11:58am On Jul 03, 2016
When Obaseki heard the Edo governoship election result.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by STONEGEORGE15(m): 12:06pm On Jul 03, 2016
Izeiyamu is a man loved by all. On education development, He is presently sponsoring 109 edolites on university scholarship. 23 of these guys are schooling abroad.

Several communities without portable water b4 can now boast of Izeiyamu bore-holes.

And he is not yet the Governor.

Vote wisely!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by localblood(m): 12:07pm On Jul 03, 2016
Lol me be like cheesy grin cheesy wink. #gosg lipsrsealed

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by SirWahl1: 12:14pm On Jul 03, 2016
When you hear people who are ready for governance speak you know them. POI is ready for governance and Edo state is indeed lucky to have a man like him in such a time as this.

Edo will be great again. My state will once again take the fore front. God bless Edolites, God bless POI

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by tomakint: 12:17pm On Jul 03, 2016
Zombies will not like this cheering news ...

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Edo: We Will Surmount PDP Crisis To Beat APC — Ize-iyamu by dejiogundipe(m): 12:20pm On Jul 03, 2016
STONEGEORGE15:
Izeiyamu is a man loved by all. On education development, He is presently sponsoring 109 edolites on university scholarship. 23 of these guys are schooling abroad.

Several communities without portable water b4 can now boast of Izeiyamu bore-holes.

And he is not yet the Governor.

Vote wisely!
Thats true o. My cousin is one of the beneficiaries of his scholarship program. This Izeiyamu guy dey try o. I hear say the man is kind hearted. I pray he wins sha.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Governors Told Buhari To Run For Second Term – Okorocha / Mininum Wage: Battle For Implementation Moves To States / NBA Jigawa Expresses Support For El-rufai, Threatens To Boycott Conference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.