Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,979 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc - Foreign Affairs (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc (990216 Views)

President Zuma Had Telephonic Discussions With President Trump / Photos: Heavy U.S Military Equipments Arrives Germany Against Russian. / @elbinawi Tweets On International Qudsday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 19, 2017
nemesis2u:
LCU Mk. IV (landing craft utility)
What's with the little dentures scattered all over the hull, they look like dimples... does this have anthing to do with quality of materials used ?
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by MikeCZA: 8:39pm On Apr 19, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

What's with the little dentures scattered all over the hull, they look like dimples... does this have anthing to do with quality of materials used ?
Indian metallurgy man it has to improve. Last I checked they had this other IFV/APC which looked like a worm. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 19, 2017
kikuyu1:

More proof that you're the best poster here!
Pah! This is merely a more rational thread. Mike posted almost the same response, but the jingoist children over there can't be reasoned with.
Why do you think Nem doesn't bother anymore?

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 19, 2017
MikeCZA:
Indian metallurgy man it has to improve. Last I checked they had this other IFV/APC which looked like a worm. grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin
We won't mention a certain anti-materiel rifle lest Nem starts referring to spills, milk and wailing grin grin grin!
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Odunayaw(m): 2:38am On Apr 20, 2017
nemesis2u:
cessna combat caravan
Is this or Do-228 a good candidate for ur earlier idea? tongue
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by bidexiii: 7:02am On Apr 20, 2017

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 20, 2017
jakeporeshenko:

i am having a hard time since yesterday at work

so i will keep it short.

one of the main reasons for bulging (dimple ? seriously ) is-

the ships hull is made of a crisscrossing of traverse and longitudinal framing, which makes up the grid like skeleton on which naval grade steel plates r wielding on.

the outside surface of the plates gets heated up while the inner side remains colder (ships interiors have air conditioners / NBC atmospheric control) or vice versa interior warmer, exterior colder depending on the regions /climate the ship is in.

so any portion of the plate not supported by the frames bulges inwards or outwards as the case maybe due to temperature difference , when this happens , the plates shape changes and collectively gives a unfinished / shoddy look.

all ships of all nations exhibit the same effect , the thing is the photo must be shot close or with the appropriate light/shade condition to reveal the distortions.

***************** TO OTHERS ******************
and man, seriously anybody who can analyze the quality of metallurgy by just looking at pictures

runs the serious risk of someday willingly/unwillingly ending up in

A ZOO

or

A CIRCUS

or

A MEDICAL LABORATORY

or

A INSPIRATION FOR STAN LEEs NEW COMIC BOOK " SPECTROMAN- THE KID WITH THE EYES OF SPECTROMETER "

NOTE the normal spectrometer works on metals/alloys, but SPECTROMAN works on photos only. grin

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 8:18am On Apr 20, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
J20 and J-15

J15 is a cool bird. I do see her fly by regularly.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 20, 2017
henry240 i saw u come in

and u went out pretty fast grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 20, 2017
nemesis2u:
henry240 i saw u come in

and u went out pretty fast grin

No, my man.

I'm always here!!
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 20, 2017
Henry240:

No, my man.

I'm always here!!

no flashbacks ? grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 20, 2017
nemesis2u:

no flashbacks ? grin

grin grin

I'm lost!
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 20, 2017
Henry240:

grin grin

I'm lost!

grin ok
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 20, 2017
frumentius:

grin grin grin
We won't mention a certain anti-materiel rifle lest Nem starts referring to spills, milk and wailing grin grin grin!

what ?
that is a long closed story grin

gotta start a new story grin

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 20, 2017
frumentius:

Pah! Mike posted almost the same response

SURE, SURE grin

u r one heck of a judge grin grin

tdayof:

Common. Helicopters perform better than each other it's a norm. However saying the MI-35 isn't a dedicated helicopter because it carries troops is wrong. Tell me one thing the Mi-28 will do and the mi-35 won't do. Armament etc.

I'm not helicopter person so I will love to hear nemesis2u opinion on this argument.

Let us make it an intellectual argument please. We should avoid using insultive words. I know patches will Jump in soon.

MikeCZA:
Indians has Hinds but still why did she acquire the Apaches?

Helicopters like the Mi-28, Apache, Tiger etc are better in areas like Flight performance.

nemesis2u:

missed this question of urs due to username ban.

MI35 and MI28 r 2 different purpose helicopters.

MI35 is a transport cum attack helicopter, which means
1.it can carry troops
2.it can perform attack roles

but the million dollar question would be,
can it do both concurrently without serious performance lose in either of the 2 capabilities ?

eg. if it is outfitted with full weapons load for attack missions, will it be able perform optimally with its full troop load ? or if it caries it full troop load will it hamper its attack capabilities with degradation in speed , range , rate of climb , agility and maneuverability etc ?

IMO the answer is utility of MI35 is dictated by its mission profile

situation one

NAF needs to destroy a BH base , but it can spare 1 M35 only , therefor SF troops r roped in to lead the assault complemented by the MI35.

so from a major base inland, a MI35 fitted with extra fuel tanks and ammo / fuel / support crew flies to the staging base . it now removes its fuel tanks tops up the normal ones from its transported supplies , arms up fully , gets its detachment of troops on board and proceeds towards target area.

near target area , it off loads its complement of troops, and flies off to reconnoiter its target area , radios in enemy position if required. SF troops move in for assult while 2 of them seek higher grounds to direct the MI35 assault over radio and acts as FAC.

since the MI35 is freed up of its troop complement, it regains it optimal attack characteristics. mean time ground assault begins and the MI35 initiates attack as directed by the FAC (forward air controllers)

important take away
it can do the job of 2,
one after the other for the best results and best utilization of the MI35 advantages / features.
ie. transport the troops to destination and off load them and then without its additional weight to bog it down , it performs its attack role with best results as its flight envelope expands considerably. (or vice versa)
in its attack configuration with zero cargo loadout its performance will be around 80% of a dedicated attack helicopter. a good pilot will be able to close this gap a little more. again combination of optimal operational altitude , temperature , speed , tactics , maneuvers etc will further close the gap further.
this difference is due to unique air frame design / rotor / engine / wings etc combination which gives the M35 its advantage for use as a transporter or a attack helicopter or both . simply stated it is not optimized for a specific role like a dedicated attack is optimized for attack role or a transport helicopter is optimized for transport.

it is very difficult to go into each and every specifics, out of my scope , so i am giving a totally generalized idea.

situation two

1 MI35 lightly armed with 2 rocket pods and its gun is tasked to transport troops from point A to point B , en route it comes under fire ,with radio calls rom HQ asking to eliminate target on priory basis or loose them for ever. the MI 35 with its troop load evades and then engages in combat maneuvers within the limitations imposed by its addition weight to hit the targets , the heavy armor saves the troops inside from small arms fire , while the MI35 hampered with its troop complements, gets it nose down by 8 degree and uses its wings to gain speed to make running fire passes to hit its targets and pull away with less than preferred tight turns (due to additional weight penalty).

after everything is over , the troops inside r totally wasted from heli sickness and swear that they will never take a helicopter ride ever again. grin grin

important take away
compared to conventional transport helicopter, MI 35 provides advantage of safety to its troop complement and good acceleration and adequate flight characteristics to engage and suppress threats for defensive and curtailed offensive action, provided there is a optimal balance between the cargo load out and troop load out.
(plz note its combat capabilities while in transport mode will not be up to the level of a dedicated attack helicopter but will hover anywhere from 40-70 % , which again will be determined by its combination of cargo/weapons loadout, full troop complement + full weapons load will lead to worse performance ) incase somebody forgets : compared to MI35, a dedicated attack helicopters carries zero troops/cargo grin (1 or 2 helis r exception as they have stowage compartment for downed crew.)

Tell me one thing the Mi-28 will do and the mi-35 won't do. Armament etc.

MI 28 can hover without penalty, but MI 24 suffers from unstable hovering due to rotor downwash on the wings- a necessary trade off for increased speed and additional lift ( by the way MI24/35 have awesome speed ) . the problem was mitigated to some extent by newer powerful engines in the MI35 but still hovering places additional burden on the engines as the wings disrupts the ground effect leading to higher power demand from the engine to maintain hover.so hovering is possible but it is advised not to go for it unless in emergency.additionally it reduces engine life.

in real life MI35 operate in pairs or multiples of pairs.

in short i tried to give 2 hypothetical examples in order to highlight MI35 advantages / disadvantages according to mission profile

note : this is my Opinion , so plz use ur discretion
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 20, 2017
i dont know how can anybody in the loop about defence be so ignorant to question a countries metallurgy skills

given that country has made/ has under development

SSN

SSBN

destroyers

frigates

aircraft carriers

4 the generation fighters (with highest % of composites )

5 the generation fighters

tubojet engines

turbofan engines

semi cryogenic engines

cryogenic engines

ramjet engines

scramjet engines

ICBMs

SLBMs

polar satellite launch vehicles

geo stationary satellite launch vehicles

reusable space shuttle flight demonstrator

successful scramjet engine flight test

hypersonic demonstrator vehicle (ground tests done , flight test december)

high supersonic missiles both ballistic and cruise

supersonic AAMs

supersonic SAMs

hypersonic cruise missile

civilian nuclear reactors

military nuclear rectors

armors for MBT/helicopters etc

SCB (single crystal blades)

artillery guns

MBRL

radars

PGMs/smart munitions

LASER based weapons

RAILGUN

etc

etc

it aint top notch, but it aint worse , technology is always a work in progress.

plain trolling or plain ignorance as demonstrated by the ship skin bulging comment being wrongfully attached to metallurgy.

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by MikeCZA: 10:18am On Apr 20, 2017
nemesis2u:

grin ok
grin grin grin He's lying.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 20, 2017
MikeCZA:
grin grin grin He's lying.

both of u r birds of the same feather when it comes to metallurgy grin grin grin

i was so pissed off at work, and decided to log in here to cool off

and lo ,

u and ur partner frumentius did a good job of adding fuel to the fire grin

great help u guys r tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 11:03am On Apr 20, 2017
Mi-28 Havoc

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 20, 2017
SU34

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 20, 2017
SU30SM

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 20, 2017
when it comes to kick starting indigenous space related aspirations

every small step leads to big step !

so u gotta start small

like the indians did

preferably on a bicycle grin

or if its high on the weight, a bullock cart will do just fine grin grin

this will set the tune (like a good omen) for a cost effective and powerful space program

try it without any hesitation grin grin grin
and tell me if i u dont get the results. grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 20, 2017
shows the evolution of space launchers of ISRO

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by kikuyu1(m): 12:33pm On Apr 20, 2017
nemesis2uagain:

yeah that would be something worth taking to combat , a shotgun firing HE rounds grin

IMO these shotguns r not so much used becz of the combat situation prevalent in Africa nowadays-mostly medium to long distance engagement .

combat shot guns will be good for CQB scenarios, really devastating

they had these 20mm programmable air burst rounds for the OICW personal weapon system (now cancelled) only the sounth koreans have a similar system in operational use. it is called K10 i think , not sure though.

It seems the Philipino Moros were on some next level warrior poo! It seems the idea of the repeating shotgun,ie the pump action was borne to defeat their frenzied attacks.
It is also recommended that each company …. be furnished with … 12-guage Winchester repeating shotguns.. There is no weapon in our possession equal to the shotgun loaded with buckshot.” /-/
http://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Philippines/sub5_6d/entry-3885.html

Even today the longest running insurgencies in the entire SEA are fought by the great great grandsons of the original Moro fighters. The Moro Islamic Liberation Front,MILF,Moro National Liberation Front,MNLF,Abu Sayyaf Group and the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement are still fighting the same war against Christian Manila they view as foreign control.
A decade ago in Mindanao these stats were laid out:
[img]More than 60,000 deaths
Two million internal refugees
535 mosques destroyed
200 schools demolished
35 cities or towns damaged[/img]
http://pcij.org/stories/mindanao-the-hidden-costs-of-war/

In Jan 2015 the MILF wiped out a specops capable police platoon killing 45.

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 20, 2017
ISRO RLV reusable launch vehicle

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by kikuyu1(m): 12:59pm On Apr 20, 2017
Know your AK! We refer to any AK frame as an AK;not very accurate! There are countless variants and manufacturers from Bulgaria and China to Uganda. This is the original developed by Kalashnikov himself and its offspring.

The first folding stock carbine

The AK 74u 5.45x39,aka the Krinkov;I saw my first 20 years back when a carjacker pointed it at me!

There's now the AK 12,latest of the fam still showing its distinctive 70 year pedigree,despite the more modern production techniques and materials.

The Dragunov sniper rifle and its variants were accurised versions of the grandaddy!

I see the basic platform going on as long as firearms are in existence. Imo,only an era of commonly owned personalised directed energy weapons will kill the AK!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 1:09pm On Apr 20, 2017
a satellite carries with it a limited stock of fuel onboard which is used for orbit correction throughout its operational life in space, the moment it runs of fuel , the satellite is unable to hold its orbit and goes kaput .

next step on satellite technology is ion thrusters (electric propulsion system) which use electricity to get the required thrust to maintain orbit. the electricity is drawn from solar panels and sent to the ion thrusters which provides the requisite thrust.

this allows to send bigger satellites and prolong the life of the satellite in orbit much beyond the operational life (which was previously dictated by the amount of on board fuel)

pic ISRO ion thrusters.

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 1:17pm On Apr 20, 2017
kikuyu1:
Know your AK! We refer to any AK frame as an AK;not very accurate! There are countless variants and manufacturers from Bulgaria and China to Uganda. This is the original developed by Kalashnikov himself and its offspring.

The first folding stock carbine

The AK 74u 5.45x39,aka the Krinkov;I saw my first 20 years back when a carjacker pointed it at me!

There's now the AK 12,latest of the fam still showing its distinctive 70 year pedigree,despite the more modern production techniques and materials.

The Dragunov sniper rifle and its variants were accurised versions of the grandaddy!

I see the basic platform going on as long as firearms are in existence. Imo,only an era of commonly owned personalised directed energy weapons will kill the AK!
shocked shocked shocked
nice info

lol never knew about the baryshev family

and that AK12 95 round drum interesting
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 20, 2017
Mosin Nagant M91/30 Scoped

grin grin grin grin i got u in my sights

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 20, 2017
bidexiii:
How Big Is the GBU-43?

http://www.nbcnews.com/card/how-big-gbu-43-n746141

big enough to send both of us into moons orbit grin grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by kikuyu1(m): 2:01pm On Apr 20, 2017
frumentius:

Pah! This is merely a more rational thread. Mike posted almost the same response, but the jingoist children over there can't be reasoned with.
Why do you think Nem doesn't bother anymore?

Perhaps,but I'm tired of the constant screaming and shrieking and throwing things whenever people invariably show their arse pretending to know.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by kikuyu1(m): 2:04pm On Apr 20, 2017
nemesis2uagain:

yeah that would be something worth taking to combat , a shotgun firing HE rounds grin

IMO these shotguns r not so much used becz of the combat situation prevalent in Africa nowadays-mostly medium to long distance engagement .

combat shot guns will be good for CQB scenarios, really devastating

they had these 20mm programmable air burst rounds for the OICW personal weapon system (now cancelled) only the sounth koreans have a similar system in operational use. it is called K10 i think , not sure though.

They'd be perfect in the DRC and urban areas. IDK if they're used down South. What about your guys fighting the Naxalites in the jungle? In all the THOUSANDS OF tacti/cool/fail pix here I haven't seen a single combat shotty-not even the dreaded BIR!?
But wait,I know of one specops guy here using an M4 over and under with a 5 rd shotgun.

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (667) (Reply)

American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.