Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc - Foreign Affairs (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc (984509 Views)

President Zuma Had Telephonic Discussions With President Trump / Photos: Heavy U.S Military Equipments Arrives Germany Against Russian. / @elbinawi Tweets On International Qudsday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 27, 2016
kikuyu1:

In our rush to cheer our fav FSBs,the mig 29S, Sus and a certain Swedish airframe we've overlooked our real needs.Imo,on this continent at least,what we really need is a certified mud mover,a twin turbo Pucara/OV 10 type CAS craft strictly to support the troops. You do know how critical the Pucaras were to the eventual Sri lankan victory in your parts. These are ideal platforms for the low AA/manpad environment warfare dominated by Shabaab/Boko haram/rebel type groups.
Both those turbo props are long since retired without replacement but their advantages are still very real. Cheap to acquire. Cheap to fly and maintain and use rough airstrips-what's not to like?
Your considered opinion would be much appreciated.

the Sri Lankans also used transport aircraft's to carpet bomb rebel positions . not many know this, in modern times it was the Sri Lankans who pioneered the usage of barrel bombs. i am sure the Assad guys got inspired by the Sri Lankans.

anyways coming to topic,

lets say "low tech may be the new high tech" grin

the COIN optimized light-attack turboprops are cheap both to build and to fly. turboprops can use roads and fields for takeoff and landing. Maintaining turboprops, is easy in fact too easy and can be done anywhere without the need for specialized equipment's. the turboprops also have good endurance, some can stay aloft for 10 hours.

the turboprops can carry a formidable weapons load for example Air Tractor AT-802U can carry six 225kg precision-guided bombs and more than 2,000kg of missiles, rockets and ammunition for two 50-calibre machine guns.

inclusion of electro-optical suite gives them the added advantage of being able to carry out persistence surveillance in addition to carrying out pin point strikes.

you must have heard of the OODA loop
Observe
Orient
Decide
Act

these turboprops are fully outfitted to
Observe ( via the olectro-optical sensors etc )
Orient ( good low speed maneuverability , good handling qualities etc for effective strafing runs etc )
Decide ( comms to network with other platforms, perform live feeds, man in the loop advantage etc )
Act ( fire away to glory grin )

also another thing is you can outfit turboprops with hailers (loud speakers) , these has its advantage ,one of them is if you see a group of civilians moving towards a impending strike zone , you can make a low pass and call them out to turn back etc.

if you recall the STUKAS from WW2 , they had sirens fitted to them , just before a dive attack they would turn it on , was said to be very effective .
i am genuinely interested to try it out on BH, al sabah , imagine play out a continuous deafening, hair raising crescendo via the hailers while carrying out strafing runs on them. wink wink grin grin

i will bet a penny many at the receiving end will have loose bowels before meeting their maker. cheap psychological warfare one o one grin

what i find disappointing is the lack of interest, Africa is in dire needs of a COIN optimized turboprop , surely the numbers required are huge , whats stopped them from building one or even get an older frame and reverse engineering it to a capable modern avatar or even acquiring a air-frame and outfitting it with necessary equipment's.

south Africa have one (arhlac) , but it is still in trial (i could be wrong here), if this aircraft was operational 10 years ago , you would have seen it in large numbers, provided alternate systems/parts were there to replace the US systems/parts.

again many air-force fear that buying these turboprops will eat away the funds earmarked for other strategic acquisition or at least delay the said acquisition by a number of years. one of the reasons why we see hesitancy for acquisition of turboprops.
cant really blame them, politicians are stingy when it comes to allocating funds for defense acquisitions.

2 Likes

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 27, 2016
AH-64 Apache of Greek army crash near the town of Asprovalta, northern Greece

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 27, 2016
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Odunayaw(m): 7:29pm On Sep 27, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
AH-64 Apache of Greek army crash near the town of Asprovalta, northern Greece
the guys in the third pic r just folding their arms and probably thinking "Owo wogbo" grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 27, 2016
Odunayaw:
the guys in the third pic r just folding their arms and probably thinking "Owo wogbo" grin
Oga the stuff shocked me, i wonder what investigations will reveal, maybe pilot/human error or technical failure of some sort.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 27, 2016
Odunayaw:

another one
the guy is wondering like how many fish died during the crash landing grin

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Odunayaw(m): 7:54pm On Sep 27, 2016
nemesis2u:

another one
the guy is wondering like how many fish died during the crash landing grin
grin

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 27, 2016
nemesis2u:
[img]http://img01.ibnlive.in/ibnlive/uploads/2010/11/mig-27-iaf630.jpg[/img]

mig 27
thats MIG 23 ,MIG -27 has a downward-sloping nose without a radar

MIG-27 below

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
Oga the stuff shocked me, i wonder what investigations will reveal, maybe pilot/human error or technical failure of some sort.

technical failure , they deliberately selected the water body for the crash landing in order to minimize collateral damages to civilian property/lives and increase the crews survival chances
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
china says it has quantum radar:what does that means?

China Electronics Technology Group Corporation (CETC), China's foremost military electronics company, has announced that its scientists have tested a quantum radar to the range of 100km, beating out known American and German competition by 500 percent. This is a significant claim to make, as a quantum radar would theoretically be able to detect stealth aircraft at long ranges.
While conventional radars transmit radio waves to reflect off of targets, a quantum radar instead uses entangled photons, via fiber couplers, quantum dots or other methods. The entangled photons bounce off of the targeted object back to the quantum radar, which can extrapolate the position, radar cross section, speed, direction and other properties of the targeted object from the return time of the photons. Also, attempts to spoof the quantum radar would be immediately noticed, since any attempt to alter or duplicate the entangled photons would be detected by the radar.
Because stealth aircraft are optimized for stealth against radio waves used by conventional radars, they would be much more susceptible to detection by the photon waves of a quantum radar. Additionally, the quantum radar could 'observe' on the composition of the target, since in the state of entanglement, the entangled photons remaining in the radar would show the same changes that transmitted photons would have when interacting with the target (known as quantum correlation). That would also be very valuable in missile defense, where one could differentiate between an actual nuclear warhead against inflatable decoys.
There is, of course, a wide difference between a claim of a laboratory "proof of concept" and the deployment of an actual working quantum radar. Indeed, US defense contractor Lockheed Martin has been attempting to build its own quantum radar for long range detection since 2007, with no public reports of deployment. A number of hurdles have to be overcome not just in making the system work, but also truly useful. A major obstacle towards an operational quantum radar is the problem of quantum decoherence; as a quantum system like entangled particles spends more time in the environment, the longer exposure to the outside environment will cause the quantum system to 'decay' (to lose its quantum behavior). This imposes range limitations on current quantum radar prototypes, since longer range equals more time spent exposed to its surroundings. While a 100km-range quantum radar may seem impressive by scientific research standards, the demands of air defense against stealth bombers or missiles would require a much greater range to be of optimal military use.
Whatever happens next with the quantum radar project, CETC's announcement is a useful reminder of both the impressive array of research activities in China and how breakthroughs in technology can quickly turn the tables on once powerful weapons.
link http://www.popsci.com/china-says-it-has-quantum-radar-what-does-that-mean
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 27, 2016
africaken254:
thats MIG 23 ,MIG -27 has a downward-sloping nose without a radar

MIG-27 below

sorry for the error

ur correct cheesy

thanks

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
nemesis2u:

sorry for the error

ur correct cheesy

thanks
Don't sweat it!
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 3:33am On Sep 28, 2016
africaken254:

link http://www.popsci.com/china-says-it-has-quantum-radar-what-does-that-mean

Quantum radars for stealth. Composite are very tiny and same with radar absorbent materials. They also have a resonance frequency hence, quantum radar is the best in illuminating targets with low backscattered reflection.
It's based on quantum-entalgment. (Photons) comes to mind like wave particles.
Even if your radar absorbent composite is impregnated in a lossy material, it will be detected.

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 4:59am On Sep 28, 2016
"Beyond Science Fiction" --Chinese Quantum Physics Breakthrough Enables New Radar Capable of Detecting ‘Invisible’ Targets 100 Kilometers Distant

Wonder how this invention would have been useless if found made by an African.
We will be like does he even know what he's saying ? A breakthrough in detecting low reflective and almost invisible targets? If it's not from the west it's not possible.

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Patchesagain: 11:14am On Sep 28, 2016
tdayof:
"Beyond Science Fiction" --Chinese Quantum Physics Breakthrough Enables New Radar Capable of Detecting ‘Invisible’ Targets 100 Kilometers Distant

Wonder how this invention would have been useless if found made by an African.
We will be like does he even know what he's saying ? A breakthrough in detecting low reflective and almost invisible targets? If it's not from the west it's not possible.

Because China never ever makes propaganda statements ever

Totally trust worthy

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 2:38pm On Sep 28, 2016
Patchesagain:

Because China never ever makes propaganda statements ever

Totally trust worthy

http://m.phys.org/news/2015-02-big-future-quantum-radar.html

No need to make propaganda.in fact,US CHINA UK may know each other well in this field through some "scientific research channel."

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 28, 2016
it looks like a JF17 crashed in the Arabian sea. no official confirmation though.

it will be the 3rd crash for JF17 in PAF service if true.

The fact that the mission was being flown out of Karachi indicates that the air-frame belonged to the no2. Squadron (Minhas), which operates the recently inducted JF17 block 2.
news blackout from PAF sources , but the news broke out because a british airlines flying overhead picked up a distress signal and reported to the authorities.
now SAR operations are on.

@henry240
came to know that Nigeria is set to sign deal in November for JF17

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 28, 2016
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 28, 2016
x

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 5:13pm On Sep 28, 2016
nemesis2u:
it looks like a JF17 crashed in the Arabian sea. no official confirmation though.

it will be the 3rd crash for JF17 in PAF service if true.

The fact that the mission was being flown out of Karachi indicates that the air-frame belonged to the no2. Squadron (Minhas), which operates the recently inducted JF17 block 2.
news blackout from PAF sources , but the news broke out because a british airlines flying overhead picked up a distress signal and reported to the authorities.
now SAR operations are on.

@henry240
came to know that Nigeria is set to sign deal in November for JF17

Oh. Heard of something like that but it was a PAF F-7. Probably yours is a different news and if so, the PAF just had 2 crashes in 72 hours.

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 5:33pm On Sep 28, 2016
tdayof:
Oh. Heard of something like that but it was a PAF F-7. Probably yours is a different news and if so, the PAF just had 2 crashes in 72 hours.

Indian troops clashed with pro-pakistani militants over kashmir ,and China-Indian border tention increased.
http://kashmirwatch.com/

India considers cut off the river over disputed area, that could cause a "water war".

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 28, 2016
@chinese8107
u idiot why ru posting disputes here ?

the topic of the thread is "Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc"
do u see anything about territorial/water disputes

ur really testing my patience , u want to start a flame war here , what about free Tibet issue , south asian (china) sea issue , Taiwan issue , sino-vietnam issue , sino - Japanese island issue , Chinese brutal suppression of democratic movement issue.

the more someone tries to accommodate you , the more stupider your actions become.

remove it now and then i will remove my post.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 7:04pm On Sep 28, 2016
nemesis2u:
@chinese8107
u idiot why ru posting disputes here ?

the topic of the thread is "Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc"
do u see anything about territorial/water disputes

ur really testing my patience , u want to start a flame war here , what about free Tibet issue , south asian (china) sea issue , Taiwan issue , sino-vietnam issue , sino - Japanese island issue , Chinese brutal suppression of democratic movement issue.

the more someone tries to accommodate you , the more stupider your actions become.

remove it now and then i will remove my post.
calm down boy grin

"Doctrines Tactics Etc " cheesy
Isn't it a tactic or Etc .etc etc could be anything grin
who s idiot.
.a flame? with whom ,I obvious dont even want to reply
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 7:23pm On Sep 28, 2016
Chinese and nemesis kindly calm down lol. Been long I noticed Henry's presence.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 28, 2016
chinese8107:

calm down boy grin

"Doctrines Tactics Etc " cheesy
Isn't it a tactic or Etc .etc etc could be anything grin
who s idiot.
.a flame? with whom ,I obvious dont even want to reply

i or anybody is not responsible for ur crappy English comprehension or stupid reasoning

do not troll
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 7:29pm On Sep 28, 2016
nemesis2u:

i or anybody is not responsible for ur crappy English comprehension or stupid reasoning

do not troll
it's simply not about english.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 28, 2016
chinese8107:

it's simply not about english.

this is not the first time u r posting off topic / derailing the thread

u have done it 3-4 times before

ur r becoming a troll lately

henry240 was right about u, guess i made a mistake
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 7:53pm On Sep 28, 2016
nemesis2u:

this is not the first time u r posting off topic / derailing the thread

u have done it 3-4 times before

ur r becoming a troll lately

henry240 was right about u, guess i made a mistake

try to be reasonable . you are troll
you are now even arguing with my english.

definition of" tactic"
a plan, procedure, or expedient for promoting a desired end or result
cut a river is not a bad tactic.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:05pm On Sep 28, 2016
chinese8107:

try to be reasonable . you are troll
you are now even arguing with my english.

definition of" tactic"
a plan, procedure, or expedient for promoting a desired end or result
cut a river is not a bad tactic.

i have decided to ignore u from now , doesn't even know the difference between a word and a sentence

dont quote me again
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 8:11pm On Sep 28, 2016
nemesis2u:

i have decided to ignore u from now , doesn't even know the difference between a word and a sentence

dont quote me again, stupid

quote anyone if you want
always wanna "win" over somthing,even meanless.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 28, 2016
chinese8107:

quote anyone if you want
always wanna "win" over somthing,even meanless.

dont lie
did i ever argue over anything u posted relevant to the thread ?

i interceded only when u posted off topic .

do what u want, post anything u want, i dont care and wont bother

i dont care if the thread goes to sh*t
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 8:39pm On Sep 28, 2016
nemesis2u:

dont lie
did i ever argue over anything u posted relevant to the thread ?

i interceded only when u posted off topic .

do what u want, post anything u want, i dont care and wont bother

i dont care if the thread goes to sh*t

You won. off-topic.
there were many "off-topic" stuff. ...even with the title "off-topic".

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (667) (Reply)

American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.