Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,913 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here (69704 Views)

14 Inspiring Bible Verses About God's Love / 10 Hard Questions About Speaking In Tongues With Answers / Islam Or Christianity? Which Is True? Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by raphieMontella: 3:27pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Please don't derail my thread with foolish talk . If you have questions drop them here
ok sire...oya..lets roll
isiah 45:7
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 3:35pm On Jul 29, 2016
raphieMontella:

ok sire...oya..lets roll
isiah 45:7

That has been discussed numerous times before . That verse means blessing the good and punishing the bad for their evil or rebellion . Just like what He'll do the atheists for their rebellion against Him
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by raphieMontella: 4:14pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

That has been discussed numerous times before . That verse means blessing the good and punishing the bad for their evil or rebellion . Just like what He'll do the atheists for their rebellion against Him
relax na...
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by raphieMontella: 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2016
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace,
and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
—Isaiah 45:7 ,
The translators of many modern Bible editions, aware of
the unsettling implications this verse holds for their
faith, have attempted to soften the blow by
translating it in a more palatable way. The New
International Version, for example, has this
passage say that God creates[b] "disaster",[/b] while the
English Standard Version has it as "calamity", and the Revised Standard Version says[b] "woe".[/b]
The
Message translation creatively renders this verse as "I make harmonies and create discords" nt punishing isreal abi na only isreal god create?.
Although these alternate translations wouldn't
seem to solve much, they are still not as faithful to
the original Hebrew than the KJV's unflinching
translation... The Hebrew word translated by the KJV
writers as "evil" in Isaiah 45:7 is "ra", and from textual evidence, it is clear that in the Bible this
word does mean evil in a moral sense. Here are
some of the other contexts in which it is used:
In Genesis 2:17, God instructs Adam and Eve not to
eat from "the tree of good and ra". The tree of good
and disaster? The tree of good and calamity?
Clearly
not: it is the tree of good and evil. In Genesis 6:5, God resolves to destroy humankind in the great flood because "the wickedness (ra)
of
man was great in the earth". apply calamity and disaster here man...its certainly evil...
In Genesis 13:13, the men of Sodom were "wicked
(ra) and sinners before the Lord
exceedingly". ..likewise here In Deuteronomy 1:35, a furious God threatens the
Israelites, "Surely there shall not one of these men
of this evil (ra) generation see that good land,
which I sware to give unto your fathers." ..more and more
In Judges 2:11, "the children of Israel did evil (ra)
in the sight of the Lord, and served Baalim"...oh shvt here again
In 1 Kings 16:30, the wicked king Ahab (husband of the infamous Jezebel) "did evil (ra)
in the sight of
the Lord above all that were before him". i dn taya abeg...
These and many other references make it clear that
the primary meaning of ra is indeed evil in the
sense of wickedness or sin. ...
Its clearly evident man...
If u doubt 'ra' wasnt used in these other texts...
Google search ''the bible text name in hebrew biblehub.com
i mean like
gen 6:5 in hebrew biblehub.com

2 Likes

Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 5:07pm On Jul 29, 2016
raphieMontella:
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace,
and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
—Isaiah 45:7 ,
The translators of many modern Bible editions, aware of
the unsettling implications this verse holds for their
faith, have attempted to soften the blow by
translating it in a more palatable way. The New
International Version, for example, has this
passage say that God creates[b] "disaster",[/b] while the
English Standard Version has it as "calamity", and the Revised Standard Version says[b] "woe".[/b]
The
Message translation creatively renders this verse as "I make harmonies and create discords" nt punishing isreal abi na only isreal god create?.
Although these alternate translations wouldn't
seem to solve much, they are still not as faithful to
the original Hebrew than the KJV's unflinching
translation... The Hebrew word translated by the KJV
writers as "evil" in Isaiah 45:7 is "ra", and from textual evidence, it is clear that in the Bible this
word does mean evil in a moral sense. Here are
some of the other contexts in which it is used:
In Genesis 2:17, God instructs Adam and Eve not to
eat from "the tree of good and ra". The tree of good
and disaster? The tree of good and calamity?
Clearly
not: it is the tree of good and evil. In Genesis 6:5, God resolves to destroy humankind in the great flood because "the wickedness (ra)
of
man was great in the earth". apply calamity and disaster here man...its certainly evil...
In Genesis 13:13, the men of Sodom were "wicked
(ra) and sinners before the Lord
exceedingly". ..likewise here In Deuteronomy 1:35, a furious God threatens the
Israelites, "Surely there shall not one of these men
of this evil (ra) generation see that good land,
which I sware to give unto your fathers." ..more and more
In Judges 2:11, "the children of Israel did evil (ra)
in the sight of the Lord, and served Baalim"...oh shvt here again
In 1 Kings 16:30, the wicked king Ahab (husband of the infamous Jezebel) "did evil (ra)
in the sight of
the Lord above all that were before him". i dn taya abeg...
These and many other references make it clear that
the primary meaning of ra is indeed evil in the
sense of wickedness or sin. ...
Its clearly evident man...
If u doubt 'ra' wasnt used in these other texts...
Google search ''the bible text name in hebrew biblehub.com
i mean like
gen 6:5 in hebrew biblehub.com

Huh ?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 5:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
Weah96:
Who wrote your holy book and what did they show you to convince you that they spoke to a non human entity?

What did the non human entity show them to make them believe that it created the universe?

It was inspired.
Well it answered all the questions that needed answering,I didn't need anymore convincing.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 6:17pm On Jul 29, 2016
[quote author=Weah96 post=47462349]

So a bunch of people gathered together and said that a non human entity spoke to them, telling them that it created the universe.

And you just believed them like that just because you didn't know the origin of the universe? C'mon son.

A whole creator with a favorite tribe of humans? Killing other humans on behalf of his favorite humans?

Not only did they bring message from invisible person, the message itself is rubbish. How can a creator of galaxies and suns take a small tribe as his favorite, killing other human beings for the tribe? Why are the humans even fighting and the creator can talk?[/quote
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 6:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
Weah96:

So a bunch of people gathered together and said that a non human entity spoke to them, telling them that it created the universe.

And you just believed them like that just because you didn't know the origin of the universe? C'mon son.

A whole creator with a favorite tribe of humans? Killing other humans on behalf of his favorite humans?

Not only did they bring message from invisible person, the message itself is rubbish. How can a creator of galaxies and suns take a small tribe as his favorite, killing other human beings for the tribe? Why are the humans even fighting and the creator can talk?

Atheism is relatively new,in the beginning the most pertinent question wasn't whether or not God existed rather who was worshipping the right one.Man built many for himself and ascribed their beliefs to them
them.

Some however worshiped the one true God and became the israelites. Now you know this,read the word and realise several instances where God tried to used the israelites to help the world know that he was the one and only true God.

Questions are good but your tone depicts someone who thinks he has it figured out.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 6:54pm On Jul 29, 2016
BlackIsLife:

Whenever you have the answers to my question, gimme a mention, i'm patiently waiting for you - what happens to the soul between the time of death and the time of resurrection?

Here is how you can understand this.

When a person sleeps the only time you are aware of is when sleep and when you wake up, essentially hours compress to a second,but all these hours are actually been "witnessed" by someone who is not asleep,they actually "live" the hours as they go by.

Then again Jesus relates death to sleep again and again,hope you understand.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 7:05pm On Jul 29, 2016
Eddlad:

Atheism is relatively new,in the beginning the most pertinent question wasn't whether or not God existed rather who was worshipping the right one.

I don't agree.
For example, Plato and especially Aristotle were deistic and believe god is created through human reason. They lived during or before jesus's time.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 7:07pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Huh ?

Do u seriously not understand what he is saying?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 7:13pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

Are u implying that an atheist can't show love on his own volition or that his deeds are not seen as right in God's sight? explain why?

Good deeds cannot get someone into God's good books,otherwise the poor would be disadvantaged nor does singing because we have deaf and dumb among us, and on and on. Sin is "living for yourself";doing your bidding,wish I could say it better in my local parlance but am not nigerian. So an atheist doing good is really nothing,if anything it shows that man was once good,we retained some over the years.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 29, 2016
tell my the possibility of the noah,s ark folk tale and why is the bible centralized the middle east
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 7:22pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

Do u seriously not understand what he is saying?

No not one bit . Since you do , you can explain . I think it was copied and pasted though
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 7:24pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

I don't agree.
For example, Plato and especially Aristotle were deistic and believe god is created through human reason. They lived during or before jesus's time.

RELATIVELY,I.believe.that's the keyword.

That's all you gathered from what I wrote?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 7:31pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

No not one bit . Since you do , you can explain . I think it was copied and pasted though

Well, in short he is trying to say that the word used in that verse is the moral evil that we all know.
Remember the lying spirit and predestination of antichrist.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 7:34pm On Jul 29, 2016
Eddlad:

RELATIVELY,I.believe.that's the keyword.

That's all you gathered from what I wrote?
Nah, just wanted to pitch in.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 7:39pm On Jul 29, 2016
Eddlad:

Good deeds cannot get someone into God's good books,otherwise the poor would be disadvantaged nor does singing because we have deaf and dumb among us, and on and on. Sin is "living for yourself";doing your bidding,wish I could say it better in my local parlance but am not nigerian. So an atheist doing good is really nothing,if anything it shows that man was once good,we retained some over the years.

I wasn't talking about getting into God's good book.
What do u mean by man was once good?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 7:44pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

Well, in short he is trying to say that the word used in that verse is the moral evil that we all know.
Remember the lying spirit and predestination of antichrist.

How are those moral evil ?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 7:54pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

How are those moral evil ?
Moral evil are as a result of human actions.
The example shows God influencing human actions(creating evil).
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 7:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

Moral evil are as a result of human actions.
The example shows God influencing human actions(creating evil).
You really need to understand the story before jumping into conclusion . Smh
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 8:14pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

I wasn't talking about getting into God's good book.
What do u mean by man was once good?

It was figurative.You seem to point out that mark was doing going and it was suppose to mean something,I merely am saying it doesn't.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 8:26pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

You really need to understand the story before jumping into conclusion . Smh
Well I am not an atheist, I just believe in the esoteric meaning of scriptures.
And from the literal interpretations of scripture, I think I stand corrected to the view of god being evil.
Besides, what is more to the stories that I don't understand?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 8:30pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

Well I am not an atheist, I just believe in the esoteric meaning of scriptures.
And from the literal interpretations of scripture, I think I stand corrected to the view of god being evil.
Besides, what is more to the stories that I don't understand?

God is not evil bro . Please when you guys claim not to be atheists , just complete it with what you guys are . So what are you ? A deist ? I need to see another deist apart from DeepSight , I need to ask him questions .
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 8:31pm On Jul 29, 2016
Eddlad:

It was figurative.You seem to point out that mark was doing going and it was suppose to mean something,I merely am saying it doesn't.
So when does doing good mean something?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 8:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

God is not evil bro . Please when you guys claim not to be atheists , just complete it with what you guys are . So what are you ? A deist ? I need to see another deist apart from DeepSight , I need to ask him questions .
I agree that God is not evil.
And yes I'm a deist.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 8:47pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

I agree that God is not evil.
And yes I'm a deist.

Wow ! A deist ! So cool . I have lots of questions for you . Can I ask them ?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by Eddlad: 8:47pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

So when does doing good mean something?

Making someone's life a little better as you may see it doesn't have to have meaning, just remember anyone can do it.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Wow ! A deist ! So cool . I have lots of questions for you . Can I ask them ?
Go ahead
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by KingEbukaNaija: 9:01pm On Jul 29, 2016
4kings:

Go ahead

Which religion best portrays your idea of the supernatural creator ?
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2016
Eddlad:

Making someone's life a little better as you may see it doesn't have to have meaning, just remember anyone can do it.
So u mean deeds by Mandela, Ghandi and several others are worthless to you, because of their beliefs.
Re: Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here by 4kings: 9:14pm On Jul 29, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Which religion best portrays your idea of the supernatural creator ?
The judea-christain religion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (39) (Reply)

See The New Technique Pastor Now Use To Lure Customers To Their Churches / Lord's Chosen Members In Abakaliki In Acrobatic Stunts (Photos) / Pastor Biodun/Coza Replies Ese Walter's Sex Scandal Accusation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.