Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,879 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? (20327 Views)

I Almost Lost My Marriage Over ‘april Fool’ Prank –woman / Man Ends 22-year-old Marriage Over Wife’s Trousers / Wife Seeks Dissolution Of 14-year Marriage Over Excessive Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Cutehector(m): 9:10pm On Jul 12, 2016
T3Amo:

Unfortunately in the real world anybody who takes 5years off is committing career suicide. Things are constantly changing as well.

Let me ask you this question. Would you go to a Dr who has not practiced in 5years for a surgery or the one who has been in practice. Would you go to a mechanic who has not fixed any cars in 5yeara. Would you go trust an accountant who has not looked at anything accounting related in 5years? Would you hire someone who has been unemployed for 5years versus someone who has been in the sector for long? Am sure you get the drift now.
lol sadly enough, it is only the woman dats going through marital problems will know the right answer to the question up there.
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Ezionye(f): 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2016
Ur asking if I wud give up my career that takes up too much of my time for a good marriage?

The answer is NO

A good marriage wud have already factored in my career so we simply plan how to balance family and work.at least am talking bout my present career and the present economic situation.

On thing I would never consider is to seat at home doing nothing.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by eph12(m): 9:11pm On Jul 12, 2016
smogup:
...working for More money
Who/what do you spend the money on?
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Skimpledawg(m): 9:15pm On Jul 12, 2016
ginajet:
Good marriage ofcourse but we should be able to build the future for our children too... . I mean take a good look at Otedola, Adenuga and Dangote... Their wives ain't complaining are they?
Gina, ! tnx
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by T3Amo(f): 9:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
Cutehector:
lol sadly enough, it is only the woman dats going through marital problems will know the right answer to the question up there.

All couples will go through marital problems. Its inevitable and also the honeymoon phase will pass. So what happens when the honey moon phase is over? When finances becomes to much to bear then the fight starts and unhappiness creeps in. If the husband is dangote then great but looking at the current economic situation especially in Nigeria and what the average man earns, one needs to be realistic. When you have kids its not just about you and "happiness". There are people who hate their jobs and would love to quit but they can't because they have responsibilities. The reason we work hard is ultimely for our kids and family to have a better life. If I have to work from 7am to 9pm in order for me to give my kids the best future possible then I will do it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by byvan03: 9:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
Family first, a flexible career will do.
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by XX01(f): 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
ameezy:
Another female thread undecided

Rather another female bashing thread.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Cutehector(m): 9:24pm On Jul 12, 2016
T3Amo:

All couples will go through marital problems. Its inevitable and also the honeymoon phase will pass. So what happens when the honey moon phase is over? When finances becomes to much to bear then the fight starts and unhappiness creeps in. If the husband is dangote then great but looking at the current economic situation especially in Nigeria and what the average man earns, one needs to be realistic. When you have kids its not just about you and "happiness". There are people who hate their jobs and would love to quit but they can't because they have responsibilities. The reason we work hard is ultimely for our kids and family to have a better life. If I have to work from 7am to 9pm in order for me to give my kids the best future possible then I will do it.
at the detriment of your marriage?
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Freiburger(m): 9:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
Teagirl:
am looking for an unlike bottom, so the only place she is permitted to succeed is in the kitchen ? Why you go about chasing women with your money intoxicated self .They tell you to dream but don't dream too big ,we all desire a good marriage but are couples still keeping the marriage Val's ? After all my education I should come beg for money before I buy undies . am going to succeed, I will push my self to the Zenith and if you have a problem with that as a man you take a walk. I will be very rich so any man with low self esteem won't like me. Any wise woman will look for how to balance career and marriage.
Take this kiss
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Cutehector(m): 9:25pm On Jul 12, 2016
XX01:

Rather another female bashing thread.
please no one is bashing any one
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by favourmic(m): 9:28pm On Jul 12, 2016
This is a very difficult questions but honestly base on experience I will go for good marriage people that go for career die young with high blood pressure and different type of disease

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by ajufinz(m): 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2016
Simply put...
Choose between
Hard work and
Working Hard...
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by olalee: 9:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
do you want to distribute your music digitlly, contact Souljar Mind for more music business and networking https://www.facebook.com/MRODUNDAYSSLEE/photos/a.1702896269938577.1073741827.1660673960827475/1834528140108722/?type=3

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
The world owe me nothing but my parents owe me a big deal.

In light of the above, it'll only obvious I owe my kids.

Good education, the Harvard, MIT kind of education.
Good upbringing
Good money, the kind they'll be able to say "I'm not working for any bloodsucker"

How am I going to afford the above without a career?

What in hell is a good marriage? Is there a rule of thumb? Of course no.

In my opinion, a marriage is as good as the partner.

So look for a girl that share the same vision and will do anything to achieve it. Simple.

The end in this case justifies the Means.

7 Likes

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by T3Amo(f): 9:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
Cutehector:
at the detriment of your marriage?

Why would it be to the detriment of my marriage. I will marry someone who has same vision and goals as me. It only becomes a problem when one does not share similar goals. There are lots of marriages in which the couple is successful and happy in their marriage.

Being succesful does not mean you will be a bad wife or mother. The fact that you are doing well means you can even take time off (financially) and travel etc and spend times with your family. I will see them everyday and after work will be family time. Its not impossible. Its been happening for long and it will Stoll be happening.

The problem starts if an unsuccessful person gets with a successful person and then starts to be jealous etc. People should marry who they are compatible with.

My fiance for example is thrilled at the fact that am doing well for myself and will be able to impact positively in the decision making of the home. We share similar goals abd visions and will be supporting each other no matter what.

7 Likes

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Gabrendo(m): 9:40pm On Jul 12, 2016
ginajet:
Good marriage ofcourse but we should be able to build the future for our children too... . I mean take a good look at Otedola, Adenuga and Dangote... Their wives ain't complaining are they?
How Do You Know?

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by samhay: 9:55pm On Jul 12, 2016
just2okworld:
Samhay come here cool

Give me my marriage Ooooo
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by DebbieSean(f): 10:07pm On Jul 12, 2016
Cutehector:
It may be very difficult to balance Career with family affairs, when your Job entails so much work that you are hardly at home. Either of the parents do not have time for the kids, and just as things go, one may feel lonely. This may on the long run bring friction in your marriage leading to constant arguments, quarrels, and even Divorce if care is not taken.

Now, I wish to put forth this question to the house, Would you choose a Good marriage over your career? If such career really has a negative effect on your marriage. When I mean a good marriage, I mean a marriage where both can say the are Happily married.

Points to put into consideration before commenting your opinion

State of the economy

Children's welfare

Health issues

High cost of living

Having considered this points, what would be your answer ?

Good marriage for me oo. Two heads (good heads oo) are always better than one. Everything will fall in place when the marriage works well and we can both work towards making great careers.

Vote Ichommy as Mr Nairaland 2016.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by ginajet(f): 10:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
Skimpledawg:

Gina, mail me @ elibaba23@gmail.com! tnx
Done Boss
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by An0nimus: 10:23pm On Jul 12, 2016
There should be a way to make things work. Compromise.
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Acme77: 10:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Good marriage
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by larabae13(f): 10:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
eph12:

Honey no guy wants a stay at home wife any more. For this economy? Abeg o. You have to bring something to the table.
dat is why I said I can't be a stay at home wife
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by MaziOmenuko: 10:37pm On Jul 12, 2016
There's no good marriage without financial balance. That's why dating and courtship is a vital pre-requisite to marriage.

For me, I will catch all my fun when single, marriage is a serious affair that requires all parties to bring something to the table for the family and most especially, the children.

When it's a tough choice between family and career, money has never lost a single argument, so it's career all the way. As long as it will be worth it.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Kimoni: 10:51pm On Jul 12, 2016
Are they mutually exclusive undecided

2 Likes

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by manuel80(m): 11:16pm On Jul 12, 2016
ginajet:
everyone pass through alot in their home.. Both rich and poor... We should pray to God for a partner that is understanding
exactly, everyone with their flaws

1 Like

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Seventeen(f): 11:43pm On Jul 12, 2016
I am guessing this is a trap question for females....
Nairalaaaand!.. Where what ever u say may be used against u.
If women choose to stay at home(to perform their 'GOD' ordained wifely duties) ...Na una go still come here de shout
"naija women are lazy. They just want to sit at home all day, watching telemundo.

"All they know is how to go shoping and squander money they dint work for.”

"I won't tolerate any lazy woman oo, my wife must not be a liability she has to go out there and work."

"Naija ladies are gold diggers, they are un productive, alwayz looking for rich men to marry. "
Now, na una still de ask whether we will choose career over good marriage... Because this question is obviously not directed to the guyz.... I bow for una oo. angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by aspirebig: 11:53pm On Jul 12, 2016
Which career? Na marriage win o. Career is good but one must take family raising seriously. Will career communicate with you? Will career be with in old age? Will the career always be there for you?
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Cutehector(m): 11:58pm On Jul 12, 2016
Seventeen:
If women choose to stay at home(to perform their 'GOD' ordained wifely duties) ...Na una go still come here de shout
"naija women are lazy. They just want to sit at home all day, watching telemundo.

"I won't tolerate any lazy woman oo, my wife must not be a liability she has to go out there and work."

"Naija ladies are gold diggers, they are un productive, alwayz looking for rich men to marry. "
Now, na una still de ask whether we will choose career over good marriage... Because this question is obviously not directed to the guyz.... I bow for una oo. angry
please show me where in my post I directed the question to the ladies and not d guys..
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by just2okworld(f): 12:01am On Jul 13, 2016
samhay:

Give me my marriage Ooooo

Hmmmmm
Just the way you're nurturing it now?

Samhay
I'm mad at youyou angry
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by just2okworld(f): 12:03am On Jul 13, 2016
Seventeen:

Like seriously I tire for them

Ladies don enter am for Dr hand
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by QueenSarafina(f): 12:06am On Jul 13, 2016
Good marriage
Re: Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? by Dahjhi: 12:18am On Jul 13, 2016
timilehing:
Of what good is a career if you have no home to return to? Shattered marriage with good career is heading towards suicide. Even with shattered career, a good home will keep the hope alive
#Word....... wink I bow for una dp boss.... See natural beauty wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Forges Wife’s Landed Documents, Sells Her 2-storey Building In Lagos / Man Dies After Dancing Gangnam Style / Woman Gives Birth To Four Children On Her First Delivery In Jigawa. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.