Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality (13269 Views)

SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals / Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:18pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

So you don't lie, you don't cheat, you love your enemies and pray for them, you love your neighbor as you love your self, you turn the other cheek when slapped, you give out your coat when a person takes your shirt, you perform wonders at will etc?

Don't mind him, he must be perfect in his own eyes
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 11:18pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Your inability to give a cogent answer says it all

A Christian that sins is still a Christian, he doesn't suddenly become a Muslim or pagan or atiest because of it since no man is perfect in the strictest sense of the word, you would've lied even while being a Christian

Popping up with these stories and even painting your own parents so badly to prove a nonexistent point is embarrassing

So, for your own sake, I'll drop this
So only one person can be this unreasonble? undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 11:19pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

So in other words the entire reason why you grew up in harsh conditions, fell sick repeatedly, got married and spent stressful hours trying ro fend for your family and ensure your kids get a good education and then hit 80 or 90 and die is just so you would be plant food and it all ends there?

If your answer is yes then why were you even born? Why did your parents even bother? Why did your parents parents parenrs to the first generation even bother giving birth? They should have aborted or killed or eaten every child born?

So it makes more sense because I'll either go to heaven or hell in the afterlife? You haven't shown me how life makes sense because if the afterlife.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

So you don't lie, you don't cheat, you love your enemies and pray for them, you love your neighbor as you love your self, you turn the other cheek when slapped, you give out your coat when a person takes your shirt, you perform wonders at will etc?

Being like Christ is a process and that is what being a Christian means. All the vices you listed out up there are no longer in my spiritual genes and I do more than give out a coat I give out clothes in hundreds..myself and my wife to the less privileged. Miracles come with the package so its not a big deal.

Temperament is also a done deal with me. Before now I was hot tempered and never could smile. But today I never ever get physical. I get upset but it quickly passes.

So do not assume that all these are not possible because I tell you..they are.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 11:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

The Lord's Chosen indites miracles and testimonies of the members in a magazine . There is also Chosen TV for you to listen to the testimonies

I told you that you can't know these things from your bedroom grin . That miracle that you failed to receive will be given to you only if you can accept Christ and choose to serve him diligently .

The Lord's chosen? What is that? Jesus didn't talk about the Lord's chosen and no where does the Lord's chosen church appear inside the bible. Jesus only promised those that believe in him the ability to do greater things than he did. You believe in him but you are unable to do it because it is a lie. The pastor of the Lord's chosen does not do greater things than what we were told Jesus did so drop that silly talk.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 11:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

It doesn't matter since all are man made imaginary constructs. Why should I fear any God? Is he a monster? Fear is a negative emotion so why should fear be associated with anything good? Something that is alleged to be the epitome of goodness?
The consciousness of your creator does not mean you fear him.

I fear my dad, does not make my dad a monster.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:25pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Being like Christ is a process and that is what being a Christian means. All the vices you listed out up there are no longer in my spiritual genes and I do more than give out a coat I give out clothes in hundreds..myself and my wife to the less privileged. Miracles come with the package so its not a big deal.

Temperament is also a done deal with me. Before now I was hot tempered and never could smile. But today I never ever get physical. I get upset but it quickly passes.

Don't you sin since you "became" a Christian?

Let me rephrase that, don't you sin since you found Yahweh?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

So it makes more sense because I'll either go to heaven or hell in the afterlife? You haven't shown me how life makes sense because if the afterlife.

Go back to the question I asked you earlier which you dodged. The one about the choice being in your hands. Answer that rhen we begin from there to learn how its beneficial

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

What is sin? Lets begin from there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 11:29pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Talk is cheap. If I slap you, you will not turn the other cheek, if I come and take your shirt you will not give me your coat. You do not love your enemies instead I believe you pray for God to help you defeat them or.protect you from them and their plans against you. You lie, you cheat, you get angry, feel envy and jealous of others on varying degrees, you do not love your neighbor as you love yourself. You can try to do these things but you can not achieve them 100% no human can. Anybody that says he can is lying that is why Christains have never been able to distinguish themselves from nonchristians throughout history despite their endless claims.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 11:31pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

What sort of question is this? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:34pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

What is sin? Lets begin from there.

Sin? A Christian asking a theist what sin is?

an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law,

Now what is sin to you?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

Talk is cheap. If I slap you, you will not turn the other cheek, if I come and take your shirt you will not give me your coat. You do not love your enemies instead I believe you pray for God to help you defeat them or.protect you from them and their plans against you. You lie, you cheat, you get angry, feel envy and jealous of others on varying degrees, you do not love your neighbor as you love yourself. You can try to do these things but you can not achieve them 100% no human can. Anybody that says he can is lying that is why Christains have never been able to distinguish themselves from nonchristians throughout history despite their endless claims.

This says it all

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

Let me help you settle this rancour within you.

I am a martial artist (kickboxer specifically) I can cause harm bodily to people but have not.

My anger is like a flash in a pan

Slap me and I will say God bless you ( let me explain this one) nobody who has ever tried ro harm me verbally or physically has walked away without being taught a spiritual lesson within 2 weeks. Something always happens to them as a punishment of sorts.

My mind has been purified by the word of God

Regarding envy or Jealousy I did not even need God for that one to be handled. My father taught me how to be contented but God broke its boundaries so no matter the pressure I am never envious or jealous

I dont do charms and never will..rarher2 I have removed charms from people.

God indeed proves Himself. You cannot be window shopping and get the benefit. Enter the house and get it from the inside.

Dalaman you need Jesus and he wants you.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Sin? A Christian asking a theist what sin is?

an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law,

Now what is sin to you?

Good to see that you know. Are you a sinner?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:41pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Let me help you settle this rancour within you.

I am a martial artist (kickboxer specifically) I can cause harm bodily to people but have not.

My anger is like a flash in a pan

Slap me and I will say God bless you ( let me explain this one) nobody who has ever tried ro harm me verbally or physically has walked away without being taught a spiritual lesson within 2 weeks. Something always happens to them as a punishment of sorts.

My mind has been purified by the word of God

Regarding envy or Jealousy I did not even need God for that one to be handled. My father taught me how to be contented but God broke its boundaries so no matter the pressure I am never envious or jealous

I dont do charms and never will..rarher2 I have removed charms from people.

God indeed proves Himself. You cannot be window shopping and get the benefit. Enter the house and get it from the inside.

Dalaman you need Jesus and he wants you.

This is really funny grin

Bro, you're really deceiving yourself if you think you do those things 100%

No one is saying you're perhaps not trying to but you're human
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:44pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Good to see that you know. Are you a sinner?

Who? Me? There's no such thing as sin in my own world

There's right and wrong

society and conscience works hand in hand to determine that for me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Believe what yoh choose. Same way I told one of you I have not been sick for close to 20 yrs and do not take drugs...not even paracetamol. And he said its not true.

Again I say believe what you choose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Bro, why not taste and see that the Lord is good.

You dont always got to be adamant.

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Who? Me? There's no such thing as sin in my own world

There's right and wrong

There's society and conscience that works hand in hand to determine that for me

So since you do not have sin in you divinely, how do you possibly allow society to determine your morals? You ought to be the epitome of perfection but you mentioned conscience. So how come your conscience still works if you are not answerable to a sinful nature?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:53pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

So since you do not have sin in you divinely, how do you possibly allow society to determine your morals? You ought to be the epitome of perfection but you mentioned conscience. So how come your conscience still works if you are not answerable to a sinful nature?

What are you talking about bro?

Allow?

"Epitome of perfection?" When did I ever call myself that? And which atheist ever called himself the epitome of perfection?

Conscience is there in everyone; atheist, Christian, Hindu, you feel bad for doing "bad", conscience keeps you in check when others are not looking, don't connect it to your skydaddy bro

Its the part of your mind that tells you bad and good

The thing I like most about conscience is that it can also make you know you've done bad even though you did nothing wrong that meets the eye, it judges your intention

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 11:59pm On Jul 16, 2016
winner01:
Bro, why not taste and see that the Lord is good.

You dont always got to be adamant.

I have, I've seen there's no such "Lord" anywhere

Don't let us derail further
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:00am On Jul 17, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

What are you talking about bro?

Allow?

"Epitome of perfection?" When did I ever call myself that? And which atheist ever called himself the epitome of perfection?

Conscience is there in everyone; atheist, Christian, Hindu, you feel bad for doing "bad", conscience keeps you in check when others are not looking, don't connect it to your skydaddy bro

If conscience is there to show you via feeling bad when you do wrong and keeps you on check, my question is why do you even feel bad? How do we even begin to qualify "bad" ? If I did not have an internal GPS (conscience) and it makes me feel bad when I do wrong, yet i do not confuse that feeling as a feel good feeling but can clearly tell the difference. Why can't I just say i do not want that conscience or that "bad" feeling anymore?

If I decide to disregard the feeling continually and come to the point that i no longer feel bad about that particular thing it still does not stop me from feeling bad about something else. Why?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 12:06am On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

If conscience is there to show you via feeling bad when you do wrong and keeps you on check, my question is why do you even feel bad? How do we even begin to qualify "bad" ? If I did not have an internal GPS (conscience) and it makes me feel bad when I do wrong, yet i do not confuse that feeling as a feel good feeling but can clearly tell the difference. Why can't I just say i do not want that conscience or that "bad" feeling anymore?

If I decide to disregard the feeling continually and come to the point that i no longer feel bad about that particular thing it still does not stop me from feeling bad about something else. Why?

Why? I don't know, we atheists admit we don't know everything but we won't fill the answer with an imaginary being either
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 17, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Why? I don't know, we atheists admit we don't know everything but we won't fill the answer with an imaginary being either

I am glad you said you dont know. Do me a favour alright? You are a sincere person but are just trying to resist something you really wish wasnt true. Nobody is trying to force God on you and indeed nobody can as in all we do we still choose. But wouldn't be better to further ask yourself some deep questions like I just asked you now and you said you dont know?

If we continually have the ability to feel "bad" regardless of how many times we try to turn it to nothing shows its not under our control. If it was then a drug would have been prescribed to erase it but there is none. Or we would be walking throwing people off the roof in anger but we dont. Or just like it happened in france we would be knocking down or bashing the vehicle of wvery driver who upsets us on the road but no.

Ask yourself...how come I cannot control my conscience and kill it. Or why is there no drug capable of being made to erase it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 17, 2016
Have a good night.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 12:20am On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I am glad you said you dont know. Do me a favour alright? You are a sincere person but are just trying to resist something you really wish wasnt true. Nobody is trying to force God on you and indeed nobody can as in all we do we still choose. But wouldn't be better to further ask yourself some deep questions like I just asked you now and you said you dont know?

If we continually have the ability to feel "bad" regardless of how many times we try to turn it to nothing shows its not under our control. If it was then a drug would have been prescribed to erase it but there is none. Or we would be walking throwing people off the roof in anger but we dont. Or just like it happened in france we would be knocking down or bashing the vehicle of wvery driver who upsets us on the road but no.

Ask yourself...how come I cannot control my conscience and kill it. Or why is there no drug capable of being made to erase it?

Prescribe a drug? What makes you so sure such a drug will not be available in the future? I'm sure someone in the first century would've asked why humans can't fly, so many things that are considered "impossible" years ago are being done today

The "god of the gaps" argument doesn't favour theists at all, it is infact detrimental to their cause

You may not "kill" it but you can actually "control" it, its the same reason you don't feel bad for doing a legal thing that was illegal hours ago

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 3:29am On Jul 17, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Don't mind them . These Nigerian atheists don't think for themselves and RELY heavily on the internet for assistance . "Atheism" and "confusion" are cognates

cc : Muafrika2 come see too

Don't forget insults
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by JackBizzle: 6:35am On Jul 17, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:
Seun, Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, Weah96 , AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , hahn , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , cloudgoddess , ifenes , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer

All these atheists we have on Nairaland , they claim they have moral compass when apparently they have none .

Yawn.....

Come and run your mouth here
https://www.nairaland.com/3231394/10-questions-christians-attack-atheists
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 7:30am On Jul 17, 2016
Kingebukanaija, winner01, would appreciate it if you stopped spamming your threads with mentions. Good food go attract better person. undecided I'm not an atheist spokesman. Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 9:10am On Jul 17, 2016
Muafrika2:

Don't forget insults
Exactly!!!

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by adoyi8: 11:33am On Jul 17, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Stop calling China this guy ! What we see as evil is praised as good in China .

1. Dishonesty is encouraged in China's business world as a way of aggrandizing Business organisations .

2. China's former leader Mao killed between 40 to 70 million people in 3 or 4 years and is adulated by the Chinese people

3. Prostitution is permitted in China
4. Larceny is not treated as a serious offence in China etc
The country is still in order though. that proves to you that what you sea as moral depends on your society.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

If The Mortal Body Will Die And Decompose, What Will Then Burn In Hell? / Apart From Your Pastor, Who Is Your Favorite Pastor/Tele Evangelist? / Which Church Do You Attend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.