Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality (13348 Views)

SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals / Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by adoyi8: 9:55pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Why
because i dont need it and i keep telling a lot of my friends that take alcohol that they dont need it too but they still take it and i cant punish them for it because it is legal.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 16, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

[s]More ignorant memes . Keep them coming

1. God destroyed those communities because

Deuteronomy 9:5
"It is not for your righteousness or for the uprightness of your heart that you are going to possess their land, but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord your God is driving them out before you, in order to confirm the oath which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."

What were the abominable acts they committed ?

They sacrificed their children to their gods and committed other despicable acts

Deuteronomy 18:9-11
9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, 11 or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

2. God is a consuming fire and the wages of sin is death . Its sad that they had to face such abhorrent death for ridiculing God .

a . In Sweden 1 in 4 women are likely to raped , a preponderant atheist society .

b. Atheist North Korean president coerce 13 year-old females into years of sexual servitude - this involves rape and sexual abuse of little females

c. Atheists are now soliciting for the legalizing of sexual acts on children - a rather disturbing development .

Looks like your meme was crafted by ignorant atheists . [/s]
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by adoyi8: 10:03pm On Jul 16, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

[size=14pt]Mister , Bestiality cannot be wrong for you or your boy since societal laws have assented to the practice . Don't you get it
[/size]
Looks like you have an exiguous knowledge of morality as an atheist that's why your brother hopefullandlord , folie a deux , needed assistance from the internet because he does not even know where an atheist's morality comes from
He is not my brother we are not christians that lie to themselves by calling themselves brothers. The bottom line is that religion does not make people moral, you can collect data from religious countries like Nigeria and compare with countries that have strong and enforced laws like China then you can arrive at your conclusion

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 16, 2016
adoyi8:
i may feel it's wrong based on my values but the society supersedes my values so ican reprimand him but not punish him. a muslim feels like it is wrong to eat pork but the Nigerian law does not sat so, therefore a muslim still feels it is wrong but cannot punish someone for doing it. bestiallity is wrong to me but i cannot punish my son for doing it it canada

The mere fact that you would even reprimand him shows that you DO have moral values Whether the law supports it or not. Punishing him (which is another level of reprimand) does not mean anything.

If in your mind you do not like it, it shows you have morals and when you caution him verbally it also shows you do not like it.

The law does not control morality. ...something in you does somehow.

If you were a free moral agent then you would have been patting your son on the back or buying him a car tied with a red bow for anything he does be it right or wrong or if he fails repeatedly in school or cooks with sewer water and not clean water because the very fibre of morality has been removed.

Mad people themselves even somehow know that they have to be careful when crossing the street or that they should walk on the side of it or sleep on the side and not in the middle of the road.

Morality is embedded deel down in you accept it and stop bobbing and weaving just to defend the indefensible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by adoyi8: 10:13pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Morality is embedded deel down in you accept it and stop bobbing and weaving just to defend the indefensible.
still on point that atheists can be moral since you stated that morality is embedded in a person, so we dont need religion to be moral

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 10:17pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

The mere fact that you would even reprimand him shows that you DO have moral values Whether the law supports it or not. Punishing him (which is another level of reprimand) does not mean anything.

If in your mind you do not like it, it shows you have morals and when you caution him verbally it also shows you do not like it.

The law does not control morality. ...something in you does somehow.

If you were a free moral agent then you would have been patting your son on the back or buying him a car tied with a red bow for anything he does be it right or wrong or if he fails repeatedly in school or cooks with sewer water and not clean water because the very fibre of morality has been removed.

Mad people themselves even somehow know that they have to be careful when crossing the street or that they should walk on the side of it or sleep on the side and not in the middle of the road.

So you're basically saying we are born with it?

So where does religion come in?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 10:18pm On Jul 16, 2016
adoyi8:
still on point that atheists can be moral since you stated that morality is embedded in a person, so we dont need religion to be moral
No! We do not need religion to be moral.
God has put conscience in every man.

And thats his point, morality is innate. And dust particles could never give rise to morality.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 10:19pm On Jul 16, 2016
winner01:
90% of unmarried christians are not Christ.

And that is further proof that Nigerians are pretending to be religious.

You are NOT different from the average Nigerian christian on the street. No matter how you lie to your self you aren't any different.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
adoyi8:
religious countries like Nigeria

adoyi8:
premarital sex is bad and will lead you to hell but i can tell you that almost 90% of unmarried christians above 25 years are not virgins and they remorselessly have sex every week of the month especially pastors children this is because the global society does not see it as immoral.

Be consistent my friend.

You are contradicting yourself.

Are you saying they are pretending to be religious? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

So you're basically saying we are born with it?

So where does religion come in?

Why are you so fixated on religion? Did Religion make God?

If you do not know how it relates to God then ask and you shall receive knowledge. No harm in asking. You can hate the message but not the messenger ( thats what you said)

If Laws are not the umpires for Religion then are we just doing as we please? Still no. Somehow there is a contraint and that constraint comes from God.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by adoyi8: 10:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
winner01:
No! We do not need religion to be moral.
God has put conscience in every man.

And thats his point, morality is innate. And dust particles could never give rise to morality.
try to explain this, a man is born in ireland in a society were alcohol is highly taken so he doesnt find it immoral but he finds polygamy to be immoral. now another man was born and grew up in Saudi arabia where polygamy is moral but alcohol intake is immoral. how does that make morality innate? because if was, then both men will find the same thing moral and the same thing immoral. the answer to this is society
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 10:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

You are NOT different from the average Nigerian christian on the street. No matter how you lie to your self you aren't any different.
Dont miss the point. Other christians are not my standard.
Christ is my standard.

You should give it a try too. wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 10:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Religion actually makes it so that our moral values remain stagnant, stuck in 1st century logic, and incompatible with our changing, modern world. It's an enemy of moral progress.

[size=14pt]winner01 , naijadeyhia welcome to "moral progress "according to the atheist .

Atheism permits perversion as part of its "moral progress " [/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Why are you so fixated on religion? Did Religion make God?

If you do not know how it relates to God then ask and you shall receive knowledge. No harm in asking. You can hate the message but not the messenger ( thats what you said)

If Laws are not the umpires for Religion then are we just doing as we please? Still no. Somehow there is a contraint and that constraint comes from God.

Which god? There are many of them last time I checked, each one with different ideas about what's bad and good, you Christians turn atheism v theism debate into atheism vs Christianity, if Yahweh were the ONLY god in the world, that would've been very valid but its not
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 16, 2016
adoyi8:
try to explain this, a man is born in ireland in a society were alcohol is highly taken so he doesnt find it immoral but he finds polygamy to be immoral. now another man was born and grew up in Saudi arabia where polygamy is moral but alcohol intake is immoral. how does that make morality innate? because if was, then both men will find the same thing moral and the same thing immoral. the answer to this is society

The mere fact that the man still finds something immoral even if not all things depicts a desire for morality. If everything was moral then that man would be no better than a beast of the field but the power to choose has set him apart.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 10:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

The mere fact that the man still finds something immoral even if not all things depicts a desire for morality. If everything was moral then that man would be no better than a beast of the field but the power to choose has set him apart.

You're dodging and sidestepping
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Which god? There are many of them last time I checked, each one with different ideas about what's bad and good, you Christians turn atheism v theism debate into atheism vs Christianity, if Yahweh were the ONLY god in the world, that would've been very valid but its not

Let me put it this way, i am a Christian so I can only offer you my God and the reason for that is not because I could not have easily accepted other gods but because I have tasted and tested my God and seen that He is good.

My choice rests with him because he has persuaded me by Himself and not via man.

He asked me to be like Jesus and not like any pastor so I have looked at the life of Jesus and I loved it so I embraced it. Simple as that.

Give it a try.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 10:37pm On Jul 16, 2016
winner01:
Dont miss the point. Other christians are not my standard.
Christ is my standard.

You should give it a try too. wink

Christ is a myth that is why he can not be any bodies standard. If Christ is your standard then you should be doing greater things than he promised those of you that believe in him to be doing. Of Christ is your standard you won't be here on the Internet arguing on the Internet with atheist and failing to prove anything to them apart from perpetuating propaganda.

The construct of Christ is an.impossible myth that is why no christian on earth can be like him. Where are the christians that love their neighbors the way they love themselves? Where are the christians that love their enemies and and pray for them? Where are the Christains that turn the other cheek and give out their coats when people take their shirts as they are told to do by Jesus? Where are the Christains that perform magical feast like Jesus? Where are those raising people from the dead , healing people at will, feeding thousands people with 2 fish and 5 loafs of bread? Where are the christians that are doing greater things than Jesus as he promised those that believe in him? There is non because all the promises are fake and what he proposed is even impossible for Christains to practice that is why throughout history christians have never been different to non christians when it comes to morality or the issue of goodness. Christains are NOT better human beings than non christians, they have never been aND will never be. Just take a lot at all the churches in the world and see the nonsense that is going on in there.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 10:39pm On Jul 16, 2016
adoyi8:
He is not my brother we are not christians that lie to themselves by calling themselves brothers. The bottom line is that religion does not make people moral, you can collect data from religious countries like Nigeria and compare with countries that have strong and enforced laws like China then you can arrive at your conclusion

Stop calling China this guy ! What we see as evil is praised as good in China .

1. Dishonesty is encouraged in China's business world as a way of aggrandizing Business organisations .

2. China's former leader Mao killed between 40 to 70 million people in 3 or 4 years and is adulated by the Chinese people

3. Prostitution is permitted in China

4. Larceny is not treated as a serious offence in China etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

You're dodging and sidestepping

I am not! Morality is based on a desire for something we either agree with internally or disagree with so inherently its the ability to choose.

But the ability to choose in us goes beyond laws because even the law givers cannot explain how they arrived at what is wrong or what is right. Somehow they just did.

So this shows that Morality is greater than the law and was made for the law and not the law for morality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 10:41pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Let me put it this way, i am a Christian so I can only offer you my God and the reason for that is not because I could not have easily accepted other gods but because I have tasted and tested my God and seen that He is good.

My choice rests with him because he has persuaded me by Himself and not via man.

He asked me to be like Jesus and not like any pastor so I have looked at the life of Jesus and I loved it so I embraced it. Simple as that.

Give it a try.

Did you try any of the other gods before chosing Yahweh?

Tell me the truth

Were you born a Christian?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 10:43pm On Jul 16, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Give it a try.

And you are like Jesus how? Jesus will not be wasting time on the Internet with atheist will he? He'll be busy showing them signs and wonders. We were told that Jesus did so many great things that if all were to be written down all the books in the world will not contain them. This is the man you said you are supposed to take after and be like instead you are buying doing he said , she said with atheist despite Jesus promising you the ability to do greater things that him if you believe. You can't do anything like him because it is simply a lie and a myth.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 10:43pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

[size=14pt]Christ is a myth[/size] [size=5pt]that is why he can not be any bodies standard. If Christ is your standard then you should be doing greater things than he promised those of you that believe in him to be doing. Of Christ is your standard you won't be here on the Internet arguing on the Internet with atheist and failing to prove anything to them apart from perpetuating propaganda.

The construct of Christ is an.impossible myth that is why no christian on earth can be like him. Where are the christians that love their neighbors the way they love themselves? Where are the christians that love their enemies and and pray for them? Where are the Christains that turn the other cheek and give out their coats when people take their shirts as they are told to do by Jesus? Where are the Christains that perform magical feast like Jesus? Where are those raising people from the dead , healing people at will, feeding thousands people with 2 fish and 5 loafs of bread? Where are the christians that are doing greater things than Jesus as he promised those that believe in him? There is non because all the promises are fake and what he proposed is even impossible for Christains to practice that is why throughout history christians have never been different to non christians when it comes to morality or the issue of goodness. Christains are NOT better human beings than non christians, they have never been aND will never be. Just take a lot at all the churches in the world and see the nonsense that is going on in there[/size].

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 10:43pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Look around you. Look at nairaland, look at foreign atheist forums.

Then come back to tell me the God that atheists concern themselves with.

I wouldnt concern myself with a lie either.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 10:45pm On Jul 16, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Stop calling China this guy ! What we see as evil is praised as good in China .

1. Dishonesty is encouraged in China's business world as a way of aggrandizing Business organisations .

2. China's former leader Mao killed between 40 to 70 million people in 3 or 4 years and is adulated by the Chinese people

3. Prostitution is permitted in China

4. Larceny is not treated as a serious offence in China etc

Your number 4, seriously? Did you know that people are sentenced to death for stealing in China?

I remember the agricultural bank heist perpetrators cuz I read about it recently
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 10:45pm On Jul 16, 2016
[quote author=KingEbukaNaija post=47614749][/quote]

If Christ is not a myth you should be doing greater things than him . After all he promised you that you will do that. You can't because his promise is mythical.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 10:46pm On Jul 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Did you try any of the other gods before chosing Yahweh?

Tell me the truth

Were you born a Christian?
I was not born a Christian. And yes, i weighed the available options.

No worldview makes sense as much as Christianity. And thats simply because it corresponds to something true.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 10:46pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

The construct of Christ is an.impossible myth that is why no christian on earth can be like him. Where are the christians that love their neighbors the way they love themselves? Where are the christians that love their enemies and and pray for them? Where are the Christains that turn the other cheek and give out their coats when people take their shirts as they are told to do by Jesus? Where are the Christains that perform magical feast like Jesus? Where are those raising people from the dead , healing people at will, feeding thousands people with 2 fish and 5 loafs of bread? Where are the christians that are doing greater things than Jesus as he promised those that believe in him? There is non because all the promises are fake and what he proposed is even impossible for Christains to practice that is why throughout history christians have never been different to non christians when it comes to morality or the issue of goodness. Christains are NOT better human beings than non christians, they have never been aND will never be. Just take a lot at all the churches in the world and see the nonsense that is going on in there.

This guy must have been to all the Christian households and countries to have made this brilliant conclusion . This Lagos man grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 10:48pm On Jul 16, 2016
winner01:

Its simply because most atheist were former Christians or from.the west where christianity is the dominant religion. Visit ex muslim forums on the Internet. Jesus and the bible gets no menton. Only Allah and the Koran.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 10:49pm On Jul 16, 2016
dalaman:

[size=5pt]Christ is a myth that is why he can not be any bodies standard. If Christ is your standard then you should be doing greater things than he promised those of you that believe in him to be doing. Of Christ is your standard you won't be here on the Internet arguing on the Internet with atheist and failing to prove anything to them apart from perpetuating propaganda.

The construct of Christ is an.impossible myth that is why no christian on earth can be like him. Where are the christians that love their neighbors the way they love themselves? Where are the christians that love their enemies and and pray for them? Where are the Christains that turn the other cheek and give out their coats when people take their shirts as they are told to do by Jesus? Where are the Christains that perform magical feast like Jesus? Where are those raising people from the dead , healing people at will, feeding thousands people with 2 fish and 5 loafs of bread? Where are the christians that are doing greater things than Jesus as he promised those that believe in him? There is non because all the promises are fake and what he proposed is even impossible for Christains to practice that is why throughout history christians have never been different to non christians when it comes to morality or the issue of goodness. Christains are NOT better human beings than non christians, they have never been aND will never be. Just take a lot at all the churches in the world and see the nonsense that is going on in there. [/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 10:49pm On Jul 16, 2016
winner01:

That's because majority of those that become atheists were former Christians

Most of the foreign atheists forums are owned by Americans and English, cohntries which Christianity is their most predominant religion, hence they'll attack Christianity more
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 16, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

[size=14pt]winner01 , naijadeyhia welcome to "moral progress "according to the atheist .

Atheism permits perversion as part of its "moral progress " [/size]

Do2 mind the confused cloudgoddess so morality changes as the world progresses and we are supposed to change with it because its the fashion statement for that era?

Lol "moral progress" .

Morality has a standard that cannot be influenced by any government or law or modernisation. If it did then it would get to a time when raping of people like you cloudgoddess wouldnt be immoral but good fun and where snatching your car would just be another biz on the street and they would even open a store with the signboard boldly displayed saying, " BUYING STOLEN CARS, WE WILL GIVE YOU 2 FOR THE PRICE OF ONE"

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Greatest Lover Of All Time / Practical Ways To Remain Free From Sin And Demonic Control. / Is It Wrong To Attend Different Churches?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.