Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality (13268 Views)

SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals / Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 12:12pm On Jul 17, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Please stop the blatant circumlocution and answer my question . Do you think societal laws should decide what's right or wrong ? Yes or No
and you don't think all the laws in the bible were not written by and for the old barbarian society?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
and you don't think all the laws in the bible were not written by and for the old barbarian society?

The before Jesus or after Jesus society?

You see when you have a fork in a road and you choose one out of these forks then everything you do is based on what that side of the road presentd to you.

Morality was made for the law and not the law for morality.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 12:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

The before Jesus or after Jesus society?
before and after.
Did Jesus even condemn slavery?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
before and after.
Did Jesus even condemn slavery?

To answer you I will ask you a question.

Did Jesus practice Slavery?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

To answer you I will ask you a question.

Did Jesus practice Slavery?
I guess Jesus hated or more concerned about those that were selling petty stuff in the house of god than those making another humans slaves.

I wonder which is more brutal?

Slavery or selling birds in synagogue.

And someone think I should put the base of human morality on the book that thinks slavery is okay but selling food in the church is not ..
Wonderful.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
I guess Jesus hated or more concerned about those that were selling petty stuff in the house of god than those making another humans slaves.

I wonder which is more brutal?

Slavery or selling birds in synagogue.

You have not answered my question. Did Jesus practice slavery? Yes or no
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 12:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

You have not answered my question. Did Jesus practice slavery? Yes or no
Your answer is No

Now answer mine.
Which is more brutal, selling humans as slaves and selling foods in church to take care of your family?

Did you know slave trade that took many black people in chainsto europe and america probably wouldn't have happened if Jesus
Condemned slavery with a single verse in the bible like he condemned those pharisees and those that are selling things in synagogue?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:

Your answer is No

Now answer mine.
Which is more brutal, selling humans as slaves and selling foods in church to take care of your family?

Did you know slave trade that took many black people in chainsto europe and america probably wouldn't have happened if Jesus
Condemned slavery with a single verse in the bible like he condemned those pharisees and those that are selling things in synagogue?

Did Jesus condemn alcohol consumption? Did Jesus condemn thd putting on of trousers?

Simply because he said nothing directly against it does not mean he supported it. He believed in the "do as I do method and not do as I say".

Now if Jesus with all his popularity and influencd did not have a slave what does that tell you?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
Dalaman I see you. And I know you are itching to just say something as always.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 1:06pm On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Did Jesus condemn alcohol consumption? Did Jesus condemn thd putting on of trousers?

Simply because he said nothing directly against it does not mean he supported it. He believed in the "do as I do method and not do as I say".

Now if Jesus with all his popularity and influencd did not have a slave what does that tell you?
the bible already condemned drinking or wearing trousers fornication and what have you.
Most of the laws were created in old testament.
Jesus came to uphold these laws. Which means he doesn't have to condemn drinking or fornication, or the Pharisees over and over as they have already been condemned in the old testament which will amount to repeating existing law.

The old testament never condemned slavery or selling things in synagogue.
Jesus thinks slavery is okay but selling things in synagoue is not
that's why he never condemned slavery for selling things synagogues
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
the bible already condemned drinking or wearing trousers fornication and what have you.
Most of the laws were created in old testament.
Jesus came to uphold these laws. Which means he doesn't have to condemn drinking or fornication, or the Pharisees over and over as they have already been condemned in the old testament which will amount to repeating existing law.

The old testament never condemned slavery or selling things in synagogue.
Jesus thinks slavery is okay but selling things in synagoue is not
that's why he never condemned slavery for selling things synagogues

Correction, Jesus did not come to uphold the law. He camd to fulfil it in Himself on the cross. The old testament laws died with Jesus Christ and he arosd with a new and better way of life....hence why we have thd old and the new testaments.

The old was not the reality ....it was a shadow of things to come....the old was based on rituals but the new is based on an actual practical life.

Hebrews 9....I think you need to read that.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 1:19pm On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Correction, Jesus did not come to uphold the law. He camd to fulfil it in Himself on the cross. The old testament laws died with Jesus Christ and he arosd with a new and better way of life....hence why we have thd old and the new testaments.

The old was not the reality ....it was a shadow of things to come....the old was based on rituals but the new is based on an actual practical life.

Hebrews 9....I think you need to read that.
okay so old testament laws are no more right?

And still haven't answered the question..

Why does he think he needs to beat those selling things in the house of god and not those who were selling humans?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:

Why does he think he needs to beat those selling things in the house of god and not those who were selling humans?

Sigh!!! I already responded to this... backtrack a bit and read.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:

You do realise that the best way to transform moral behaviour is to change moral views.
When Jesus said he was the son of God many chose to stone him...

When he said he would die and be resurrected many called him a heretic.

You cannot change everything throufh force. The best work is done when you change yourself.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 1:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Sigh!!! I already responded to this... backtrack a bit and read.
no you didn't answer.

You said because jesus didn t do many things means we should use our brain not to do it because jesus didn't do it..

Which affirms most atheists position on morality. Society determines what is right or wrong.
It was okay to have slaves 400years ago, the society determined it is wrong now. No scripture needed.. Our empathy did its thing.

Now to my question.
Why did jesus find it difficult to condemn slavery but not only did he condemn selling things in the house of god, he took action.

Its like your dad coming home and saw some people raping your sister, he ignored them and brought out Cain and started flogging those that were eating on his plasma TV.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 1:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:

As a Christian , no . That explains moral decadence .
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 1:43pm On Jul 17, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

As a Christian , no . That explains moral decadence .

so do you think we should change our laws to Bible laws?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Weah96: 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:

Its like your dad coming home and saw some people raping your sister, he ignored them and brought Cain and started flogging those that were eating on his plasma TV.

Let me interrupt by adding that Slavery was more about r.ape than labor. Adult male, old women, and disfigured/ disabled African slaves worked on the farm.

Every other African slave in this godforsaken country was being r.aped from morning until nightfall, even babies.

A video of a pale man who sought pleasure from the tuber of a male horse and was rewarded with disembowelment made it's way around the internet a few years ago. Those were the slaveowners.
They've changed the story to make it look like it was cotton. No, the primary reason a person bought a slave was to phuck the children slaves.

Now please kontinu.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 2:05pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
so do you think we should change our laws to Bible laws?

Moral laws . Remember Jewish laws are different from moral laws
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Earth2Metahuman: 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Moral laws . Remember Jewish laws are different from moral laws
there is no morality in the bible.. The positive ones there are what we have known even before bible came..
E.g Thou shall not steal, there has been law against stealing even before bible was compiled.
The bible moral laws were compiled around what was present in the then society. That's why there is no, dnt take cocaine or smoke tobacco in the bible, or frowns at slavery or annexing other people's territory..
hunting animals for sport is not ok in our modern society now, but bible think its okay since the societies practically survive on hunting then.
Which shows the whole bible morality thing was written based on what the barbarian societies think were right or wrong and they have no place in modern society.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 6:43pm On Jul 17, 2016
Earth2Metahuman:
there is no morality in the bible.. The positive ones there are what we have known even before bible came..
E.g Thou shall not steal, there has been law against stealing even before bible was compiled.
The bible moral laws were compiled around what was present in the then society. That's why there is no, dnt take cocaine or smoke tobacco in the bible, or frowns at slavery or annexing other people's territory..
hunting animals for sport is not ok for our society now, but bible think its okay since the societies practically survived based on that then.
Which shows the whole bible morality thing was written based on what the barbarian societies think are right or wrong and it has no place in modern society.

This says it all
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by thehomer: 1:06am On Jul 18, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:
Seun, Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, Weah96 , AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , hahn , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , cloudgoddess , ifenes , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer

All these atheists we have on Nairaland , they claim they have moral compass when apparently they have none .

As long as you think your God is good, it would indicate that you don't just lack a moral compass, but your compass confuses evil for good.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Weah96: 2:01am On Jul 18, 2016
Golden Rule.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 2:28am On Jul 18, 2016
Weah96:
Golden Rule.

More like you took Golden Guinea before typing this. Last time I wanted to find out if you were on drugs after you displayed honesty and now I'm sure you must be drunk .

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 2:29am On Jul 18, 2016
thehomer:

As long as you think your God is good, it would indicate that you don't just lack a moral compass, but your compass confuses evil for good.

God took the life he created , what's the problem or how is that nefarious ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by TrajansKong: 10:10am On Jul 18, 2016
Edelweiss44:

Point of correction sir, I never implied that "God CANNOT kill you"........in fact, God CAN kill you, and if you continue on this path of foolhardy opposition to your creator without repenting, I can assure you that HE MAY KILL YOU SOONER THAN YOU THINK.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH grin grin grin grin

You make me happy.

I love you.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Weah96: 11:29am On Jul 18, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

More like you took Golden Guinea before typing this. Last time I wanted to find out if you were on drugs after you displayed honesty and now I'm sure you must be drunk .

It's called fatigue. Long day at work. I couldn't post anything more than 2 words.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by thehomer: 6:40pm On Jul 18, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

God took the life he created , what's the problem or how is that nefarious ?

It is nefarious in declaring that it is a good idea to kill 6 month old babies because they're boys.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by braithwaite(m): 9:07am On Jul 19, 2016

KingEbukaNaija
So..this an attack on all atheist huh? Where's your morality?before you start talking on atheist morality

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Touchnot01: 7:47pm On Jul 21, 2016
Without God, everything is permissible. No man or society made of men can decide for me what I can and cannot do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 12:55am On Jul 22, 2016
braithwaite:

KingEbukaNaija
So..this an attack on all atheist huh? Where's your morality?before you start talking on atheist morality

Only shallow minds think skepticism is a form of attack . We were scrutinizing the morality of atheists and found out that you guys have no morality - no good no evil.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 1:08am On Jul 22, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Only shallow minds think skepticism is a form of attack . We were scrutinizing the morality of atheists and found out that you guys have no morality - no good no evil.

Maybe atheists are on the same level as your god since your god also has NO morality too OR what does your god base his morality on? He has "no good no evil"

Start worshipping atheists around you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Going To Church Prolongs Your Life By 14 Years - Experts / If The Mortal Body Will Die And Decompose, What Will Then Burn In Hell? / Apart From Your Pastor, Who Is Your Favorite Pastor/Tele Evangelist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.