Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,362 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Today In Nigerian History: 29th July - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today In Nigerian History: 29th July (17571 Views)

Who's The Worst Head Of State In Nigerian History? / 20 Pictures From Nigerian History That’ll Make You Wish You Could Time Travel / The Corpse Of The Pregnant Suicide Bomber Killed Today In Borno. Graphic Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 29, 2016
I see.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 12:08am On Jul 30, 2016
Abeyjide:
Adekunle fajuyi died just because he was trying to defend Aguyi ironsi from being killed. he said and I quote" if agunyi ironsi is to be killed,they should also kill him" cos those guys told him they only came for agunyi ironsi.
yes o, and some mumu lost ppl will open mouth to call the westerners coward. And the world knw they are the greatest coward.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by sirfesto: 12:11am On Jul 30, 2016
Why is TY Danjuma stil alive by right coup ploters are expected to be killed rather he is owning oil field and heading govt agencies God will soon purnish you
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 12:57am On Jul 30, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Seunnzy(m): 5:25am On Jul 30, 2016
north and their destructive ways.thats the only part of 9jiria that i think shud be seperated
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Tunami(m): 5:37am On Jul 30, 2016
Middlefinger1:
Adekunle Fajuyi the black scorpion
oga, it's Benjamin Adekunle that is called the black scorpion and not Adekunle Fajuyi.

1 Like

Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 5:46am On Jul 30, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:
bt u dnt cry wen u remember dt of 1966 jan 15 led by southeasterners dt killed akintola,tafawa balewa and sir ahmadu bello abi?
uhmmm nd u also forget dat, dat coup hepd us killd dos selfish leaders wo want powa to dreselves alone embarassed
Ahmedhussain3463:
bt u dnt cry wen u remember dt of 1966 jan 15 led by southeasterners dt killed akintola,tafawa balewa and sir ahmadu bello abi?
uhmmm nd u also forget dat, dat coup hepd us killd dos selfish leaders wo want powa to dreselves alone
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 5:49am On Jul 30, 2016
wizzakosh:
yes o, and some mumu lost ppl will open mouth to call the westerners coward. And the world knw they are the greatest coward.
bros let tell ourselfs d truth our western brodas dey Bleep up, dat y dey re calld coward
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Fryzi(m): 6:10am On Jul 30, 2016
We call people like u *Yoruba traitor* because u refuse to stand for what seem right. U fight Igbos on every social media just to gain sides with d northerners who killed Thomson Aguiyi Ironsi n Francis Adekunle Fajuyi while still on power so dey could take over what never belong to dem n claim to be their birth right. Those who murdered these 2 selfless n true patriots still are ruling ur sick ass n u jubilate to be a slave! U never want to hear Igbos mention Buhari else u engage 3rd world war on dem. Make una get sense n rise to una feet like una papa, Fajuyi. Na so we go dey look some foolish people go islamize dis Nation.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by supereagle(m): 6:15am On Jul 30, 2016
Middlefinger1:
Adekunle Fajuyi the black scorpion

Benjamin Adekunle is called black Scorpion because the map of his civil war operations looked like the tail of a black scorpion. He commanded the most difficult terrain of the war with his fellow Yoruba officers.
Yoruba officers won the war for Nigeria. Some tribes will say they are cowards.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Fryzi(m): 6:15am On Jul 30, 2016
Nothing will happen to Danjuma who killed Ironsi, Fajuyi cos their evil leader is in power. I guess dey would ve long killed d murderer if it were to be an Igbo person. I support Igbos go their own, I never yearn for dis all these time of agitation of Biafra buh now n I stand for it
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by ceejay4real(m): 6:53am On Jul 30, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:

U are a Sokoto Goat! What's the connection between Aguiyi Ironsi and Fajuyi to the 15th January Coup? You modafucking Islamic BIGOT!
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Jaymaxxy(m): 6:54am On Jul 30, 2016
Fryzi:
Nothing will happen to Danjuma who killed Ironsi, Fajuyi cos their evil leader is in power. I guess dey would ve long killed d murderer if it were to be an Igbo person. I support Igbos go their own, I never yearn for dis all these time of agitation of Biafra buh now n I stand for it

Bro, get it right. A coup is only illegal when it fails. Once it is successful and you are able to take over power, it becomes legal. That's military for you.

1 Like

Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by imrany20(m): 6:58am On Jul 30, 2016
These wailers want to kill themselves.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by 3ples(m): 7:12am On Jul 30, 2016
And each time I remember this coup, it reminds me of the fact that it was the Igbo man that first took arms against our dear country naija.
The second attempt was the civil war.

God bless Nigeria!
Emac:
When I recall that July counter coup propagated by the northerners and how Agunyi was killed ..I weep.

God help us. AMEN

1 Like

Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by ceejay4real(m): 7:13am On Jul 30, 2016
Also on this day in 1975 the mass murderer and barbaric savage, Murtala Muhammed was swept to power by the same satanic forces still holding Nigeria down to this day. Name them; Olusegun Obasanjo, TY Danjuma, Ibrahim Babangida, Late Maj General Shehu Musa Yar'adua (represented by Abubakar Atiku ), Muhammadu Buhari, Jeremiah Useni, Late Sani Abacha and many others unknown to the Nigerian Public. Only a revolution or at least a completely newbreed politicians' led & inspired government at the centre can give Nigeria the semblance of a real patriotic governance.
I thought b4 the elections that Buhari had something to offer but now I have realised that the man is a full fledged member of the Kaduna Mafia that don't mean well for this con3! I totally regret supporting him especially online where I insulted a lot of people unduly.
Our best bet is to patiently wait for 2019 and make an emphatic statement once again with our votes!

Nigeria will never achieve anything worthwhile under Buhari, PERIOD!
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by vroom(m): 8:21am On Jul 30, 2016
Abeyjide:
Adekunle fajuyi died just because he was trying to defend Aguyi ironsi from being killed. he said and I quote" if agunyi ironsi is to be killed,they should also kill him" cos those guys told him they only came for agunyi ironsi.

that is what it means to be a soldier....how would ubwant the world to see it that the military Head of state died in his house and he will now claim hes not a party to the coup?.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 30, 2016
Ok
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by bartho77(m): 9:00am On Jul 30, 2016
Abeyjide:

Please were you there?, because I'll like to know more.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by hitleraldof(m): 9:42am On Jul 30, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:
taa!! Go and read your history.......major Nzeogwu's claim to being igbo was his blood.he was born in kaduna,brought up in kaduna,spoke Hausa perfectly and hardly knew a word of igbo...the coup did not succeed because colonel Ojukwu stoped it from spreading to Kano and General Ironsi took charge in Lagos.... Gen. Ironsi was a military man not our new crop of political military men and as such made alot of political blunders bt did not deserve his own military boys turning on him...remember the first coup was against a civilian government and was praised and heralded in all parts of Nigeria that Ironsi was scared of touching Nzeogwu and even had him locked up in northern Nigeria....bro we are educated lets call a spade a spade and move on with building or peaceful disintegrating Nigeria...
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Ahmedhussain3463: 9:49am On Jul 30, 2016
ceejay4real:

U are a Sokoto Goat! What's the connection between Aguiyi Ironsi and Fajuyi to the 15th January Coup? You modafucking Islamic BIGOT!
all i can say is tank u ty danjuma for preventing ndi igbo hegemony wit d finest coup u led dt rewrite nigerian histroy and freed us from igbo domination!
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Ahmedhussain3463: 9:50am On Jul 30, 2016
oyetunji12:
uhmmm nd u also forget dat, dat coup hepd us killd dos selfish leaders wo want powa to dreselves alone embarasseduhmmm nd u also forget dat, dat coup hepd us killd dos selfish leaders wo want powa to dreselves alone
bt u did dey spare okpara and zik,were dey nt part of d politician dt wnt to hold on to power by force?
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Ahmedhussain3463: 9:54am On Jul 30, 2016
hitleraldof:
taa!! Go and read your history.......major Nzeogwu's claim to being igbo was his blood.he was born in kaduna,brought up in kaduna,spoke Hausa perfectly and hardly knew a word of igbo...the coup did not succeed because colonel Ojukwu stoped it from spreading to Kano and General Ironsi took charge in Lagos.... Gen. Ironsi was a military man not our new crop of political military men and as such made alot of political blunders bt did not deserve his own military boys turning on him...remember the first coup was against a civilian government and was praised and heralded in all parts of Nigeria that Ironsi was scared of touching Nzeogwu and even had him locked up in northern Nigeria....bro we are educated lets call a spade a spade and move on with building or peaceful disintegrating Nigeria...
forget d language nzeogwu speak!his by blood an igbo man!y was okpara nt kill in d coup even if zik fled d country b4 d coup was implemented?
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by engrjacuzzi: 10:02am On Jul 30, 2016
i am waiting for someone to come say "on this day, I missed my period" and later blame buhari for it.
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 30, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:
bt u did dey spare okpara and zik,were dey nt part of d politician dt wnt to hold on to power by force?
bros zik ran for his life ni ooooo
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Ahmedhussain3463: 11:08am On Jul 30, 2016
oyetunji12:
bros zik ran for his life ni ooooo
zik left d country b4 d coup was implemented!let forget abt zik.y was okpara nt killed in d coup?
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 30, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:
zik left d country b4 d coup was implemented!let forget abt zik.y was okpara nt killed in d coup?
uhmmm kkk let take it like dis/TheNigerian counter-coup of 1966, or the so-called "July Rematch", was the second of many military coups in Nigeria. It was masterminded by Lt Colonel Murtala Muhammed [1]and many northern military officers. The coup started out as a mutinyat roughly midnight on July 28, 1966 [2]and was a reaction to the killings of Northern politicians and Officers by mostly Igbo soldiers on January 15, 1966 (see 1966 Nigerian coup d'état.) The July mutiny/counter coup resulted in the murder of Nigeria's 1st military Head of State General Aguiyi Ironsiand Lt Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi(who was hosting a visiting Ironsi) in Ibadan by angry northern Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs). [3]Upon the termination of Ironsi's government, Lt Colonel Yakubu Gowonwas appointed Head of State by the July 1966 coup conspirators.
Reasons for the counter-coup
According to historian Max Siollunnorthern soldiers had a list of grievances [4]following the aborted January 15, 1966 coup which led to the planning of the counter-coup. A list of their grievances were:
*.The murder of northern military and civilian leaders in the aborted January 15, 1966 coup
*.The January 15, 1966 coup conspirators (mostly Majors) had not been tried for treason and were being paid while in detention
*.The passage of the Unification Decree
*.Rumors of an "Igbo coup" to eliminate northern soldiers
*.The promotion of several Igbo Majors to Lt Colonel
*.Rumors of General Ironsi's ethnic favoritism toward Igbos
*.Plans to swap the 1st and 4th battalions and plans to rotate the military governors of the different regions
Coup participants
The principal coup plotters are listed below: [5]
*.2nd Lieutenant Sani Abacha(3rd Battalion Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant D.S. Abubakar (Abeokuta Garrison)
*.Major Martin Adamu (2nd Battalion Lagos)
*.Lt Colonel Joseph Akahan(Commander, 4th Bataillon Kaduna)
*.Major Shittu Alao (Nigerian Airforce HQ, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Ibrahim Babangida(1st Reconnaissance Squadron, Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Ibrahim Bako(4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Lieutenant Muhammadu Buhari(2 Brigade Lagos)
*.Captain Isa Bukar (Federal Guards Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Yakubu Dambo (3rd Battalion Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Garba A. Dada (Adjutant 4th Battalion Ibadan)
*.Major Theophilus Danjuma(Principal Staff Officer, Army HQ, Lagos)
*.Sergeant Paul Dickson
*.Lieutenant Buka Suka Dimka(Nigerian Military Training College Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Garba Duba(1 Reconnaissance Squadron Kaduna)
*.Captain Joseph Garba(Federal Guards Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Mohammed Balarabe Haladu(4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Major Abba Kyari(Artillery, Kaduna)
*.Sergeant Sabo Kwale (Abeokuta Garrison)
*.Lieutenant Colonel Murtala Muhammed(Inspector of Signals, Lagos)
*.Second Lieutenant Muhammadu Gado Nasko(Artillery, Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Malami Mahe Nassarawa (2nd Battalion, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant James Onoja (4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Corporal John Shagaya(2nd Reconnaissance Squadron, Abeokuta)
*.Lieutenant Abdulahhi Shelleng(Company Commander, 4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Captain Ibrahim Taiwo(Lagos Garrison Yaba)
*.Lieutenant Paul Chabri Tarfa(Federal Guards, Lagos)
*.Captain Baba Usman GSO (Grade II), Army HQ, Lagos)
*.Major Musa Usman (Nigerian Air Force, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant William Walbe(2nd Battalion, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Mamman Vatsa(4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Captain Abdul D.S. Wya (3rd Battalion, Kaduna)/ so y is our presido still alive
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by balosunky(m): 12:44pm On Jul 30, 2016
ceejay4real:

na u no know history the guy is quite right to a point
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Noblewhiz(m): 3:28pm On Jul 30, 2016
ahamonyeka:
On this 29 I nack one girl to comma. ;DOn this 29 I nack one girl to comma.
eeehh bros
Re: Today In Nigerian History: 29th July by Ahmedhussain3463: 4:45pm On Jul 30, 2016
oyetunji12:
uhmmm kkk let take it like dis/TheNigerian counter-coup of 1966, or the so-called "July Rematch", was the second of many military coups in Nigeria. It was masterminded by Lt Colonel Murtala Muhammed [1]and many northern military officers. The coup started out as a mutinyat roughly midnight on July 28, 1966 [2]and was a reaction to the killings of Northern politicians and Officers by mostly Igbo soldiers on January 15, 1966 (see 1966 Nigerian coup d'état.) The July mutiny/counter coup resulted in the murder of Nigeria's 1st military Head of State General Aguiyi Ironsiand Lt Colonel Adekunle Fajuyi(who was hosting a visiting Ironsi) in Ibadan by angry northern Non Commissioned Officers (NCOs). [3]Upon the termination of Ironsi's government, Lt Colonel Yakubu Gowonwas appointed Head of State by the July 1966 coup conspirators.
Reasons for the counter-coup
According to historian Max Siollunnorthern soldiers had a list of grievances [4]following the aborted January 15, 1966 coup which led to the planning of the counter-coup. A list of their grievances were:
*.The murder of northern military and civilian leaders in the aborted January 15, 1966 coup
*.The January 15, 1966 coup conspirators (mostly Majors) had not been tried for treason and were being paid while in detention
*.The passage of the Unification Decree
*.Rumors of an "Igbo coup" to eliminate northern soldiers
*.The promotion of several Igbo Majors to Lt Colonel
*.Rumors of General Ironsi's ethnic favoritism toward Igbos
*.Plans to swap the 1st and 4th battalions and plans to rotate the military governors of the different regions
Coup participants
The principal coup plotters are listed below: [5]
*.2nd Lieutenant Sani Abacha(3rd Battalion Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant D.S. Abubakar (Abeokuta Garrison)
*.Major Martin Adamu (2nd Battalion Lagos)
*.Lt Colonel Joseph Akahan(Commander, 4th Bataillon Kaduna)
*.Major Shittu Alao (Nigerian Airforce HQ, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Ibrahim Babangida(1st Reconnaissance Squadron, Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Ibrahim Bako(4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Lieutenant Muhammadu Buhari(2 Brigade Lagos)
*.Captain Isa Bukar (Federal Guards Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Yakubu Dambo (3rd Battalion Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Garba A. Dada (Adjutant 4th Battalion Ibadan)
*.Major Theophilus Danjuma(Principal Staff Officer, Army HQ, Lagos)
*.Sergeant Paul Dickson
*.Lieutenant Buka Suka Dimka(Nigerian Military Training College Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Garba Duba(1 Reconnaissance Squadron Kaduna)
*.Captain Joseph Garba(Federal Guards Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Mohammed Balarabe Haladu(4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Major Abba Kyari(Artillery, Kaduna)
*.Sergeant Sabo Kwale (Abeokuta Garrison)
*.Lieutenant Colonel Murtala Muhammed(Inspector of Signals, Lagos)
*.Second Lieutenant Muhammadu Gado Nasko(Artillery, Kaduna)
*.Lieutenant Malami Mahe Nassarawa (2nd Battalion, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant James Onoja (4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Corporal John Shagaya(2nd Reconnaissance Squadron, Abeokuta)
*.Lieutenant Abdulahhi Shelleng(Company Commander, 4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Captain Ibrahim Taiwo(Lagos Garrison Yaba)
*.Lieutenant Paul Chabri Tarfa(Federal Guards, Lagos)
*.Captain Baba Usman GSO (Grade II), Army HQ, Lagos)
*.Major Musa Usman (Nigerian Air Force, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant William Walbe(2nd Battalion, Lagos)
*.Lieutenant Mamman Vatsa(4th Battalion, Ibadan)
*.Captain Abdul D.S. Wya (3rd Battalion, Kaduna)/ so y is our presido still alive
i tink only Gid can answer dis ur question becos he gives lives and take it

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Plans To Impeach Amaechi With Five Lawmakers - SaharaReporters / Metuh Scuttled Jonathan’s Reelection For Losing Post To Fani-kayode — PDP Worker / Lagos Assembly Denies Three Nominees, Confirms Omotoso, Igbokwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.