Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,065 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

Let's Build A Car - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Build A Car (15972 Views)

China To Build A Flying Train With A Supersonic Speed Of 4000km/hr / Cummins Just Beat Tesla In The Race To Build A Semi Electric Truck / Why It Takes Six Months To Build A Rolls Royce. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 22, 2016
DieuDonee:

That is an excellent idea but I heard they needs at least two car batteries to power them?

That's for the ones used in extreme sports.

The ones in Citroen and Range Rover don't need those sorts of nonsense.

It'll be air powered by the engine.
Re: Let's Build A Car by DieuDonee(m): 3:59am On Aug 22, 2016
EgunMogaji:

That's for the ones used in extreme sports.
The ones in Citroen and Range Rover don't need those sorts of nonsense.
It'll be air powered by the engine.
Ok. Now I get it.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 22, 2016
Nigerians like to put the cart before the horse.

This is called a mule and is driven around first for hundreds of miles to shake out and redesign stuff before it meets the rest of the body that is being handled by a different team.

What team are you equipped to be on? "Mule" or "Fancy"?

Note: this is a cut down finished car but the idea is the same.

Re: Let's Build A Car by icekream(m): 10:09am On Aug 23, 2016
Please count me in. I'm so very Interested in adding my 1kobo.
I'm student buh i'll also drop ideas

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
Where una go now?
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2016
This is not going to be a "wham bam thank you mam" initiative as most Nigerian ideas are which ends up fallow. This will take years so no hurries.

I've been busy modelling on SketchUp.

Have you been busy sharpening up on your own contribution that you'll be bringing up to the table?
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nmeri17: 11:41pm On Aug 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:
This is not going to be a "wham bam thank you mam" initiative as most Nigerian ideas are which ends up fallow.
This will take years so no hurries.
[s]

Have you been busy sharpening up on your own contribution that you'll be bringing up to the table?
[/s]
shocked shocked shocked

ooooh Nairaland embarassed

*unfollows thread sad

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 28, 2016
Nmeri17:
shocked shocked shocked

ooooh Nairaland embarassed

*unfollows thread sad

Thank you for doing this grin

We need able bodied Men and Women, not those looking for quick schemes.
Re: Let's Build A Car by nuwell(m): 10:35am On Aug 29, 2016
EgunMogaji et al

Nu-well, checking in this beautiful morning. The dream lives on
Re: Let's Build A Car by hawwal84: 6:09pm On Aug 29, 2016
Please i pray that this initiative doesnt die.

It is a long term plan and likely there will be times when it will be like you are a lone ranger.

Pray you keep the torch burning.

Hope you (and us your followers) hang on till the end (dont be derailed by naysayers).

EgunMogaji:
This is not going to be a "wham bam thank you mam" initiative as most Nigerian ideas are which ends up fallow. This will take years so no hurries.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 29, 2016
hawwal84:
Please i pray that this initiative doesnt die.

It is a long term plan and likely there will be times when it will be like you are a lone ranger.

Pray you keep the torch burning.

Hope you (and us your followers) hang on till the end (dont be derailed by naysayers).

Thanks.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2016
Question of the day (this came up during modelling).

Does a front bench seat prudent for Nigeria? Remember this is a vehicle targeted directly to Nigerians and to average Nigerians.
Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Does a 3 seat bench seat prudent for Nigeria? Remember this is a vehicle targeted directly to Nigerians and to average Nigerians.

Depends on where you are putting it.
If it's in front like the station wagon of the then 504/505 Peugeot with steering gear, it's OK, but with middle gear, it's bad as it will disturb the middle seater.

If it's the second row, it's OK for both adult and children.

It it's the 3rd row seat, what I noticed is it reduces comfortability "sorry for the grammar" as the leg room is already cramped why make the seats more crappy.

Now some bench are placed in a face me I kiss you style found in the Toyota condor or the land rover defender series old but mighty models, it's comfortable but I would rather not have it in a commercial vehicle as sitting in that position makes the journey awkward.

My university school bus had that kind of sitting arrangement and I hated sitting in that format

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 29, 2016
nurey:

Depends on where you are putting it.
If it's in front like the station wagon of the then 504/505 Peugeot with steering gear, it's OK, but with middle gear, it's bad as it will disturb the middle seater.

If it's the second row, it's OK for both adult and children.

It it's the 3rd row seat, what I noticed is it reduces comfortability "sorry for the grammar" as the leg room is already cramped why make the seats more crappy.

Now some bench are placed in a face me I kiss you style found in the Toyota condor or the land rover defender series old but mighty models, it's comfortable but I would rather not have it in a commercial vehicle as sitting in that position makes the journey awkward.

My university school bus had that kind of sitting arrangement and I hated sitting in that format

Sorry, it's for the front seat.
Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 5:46pm On Aug 31, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Does a front bench seat prudent for Nigeria? Remember this is a vehicle targeted directly to Nigerians and to average Nigerians.

You can post PIC too, so that it can help everyone who is interested in this project to realy understand what u mean and have inputs too

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by nuru(m): 6:12pm On Aug 31, 2016
I will prefer the bench seat in the middle row. Having it at front row will make fancy work difficult. In as much as we want a practical vehicle, it must have some visual and comfort appeal.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 7:38pm On Aug 31, 2016
nuru:
I will prefer the bench seat in the middle row. Having it at front row will make fancy work difficult. In as much as we want a practical vehicle, it must have some visual and comfort appeal.

Yes, i agree with u. No automaker use bench seat on the front anymore, bucket seat is the norm now. Speaking of safety, airbags, seatbelt, and people generally hate to be squeezed in the middle (riding Micra in Ibadan comes to mind) . I fully agree with u. For fancy and safety
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 31, 2016
princetom1:

Yes, i agree with u. No automaker use bench seat on the front anymore, bucket seat is the norm now. Speaking of safety, airbags, seatbelt, and people generally hate to be squeezed in the middle (riding Micra in Ibadan comes to mind) . I fully agree with u. For fancy and safety

Micra wasn't designed to sit three up front. If we decided to entertain this then it would be designed to sit three up front with airbags in place.

Almost ALL US made pickup trucks come with bench seat in front as standard. There's at least one supercar with a bench seat in front.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 5:52am On Sep 01, 2016
An example of a simple chassis.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 7:19am On Sep 01, 2016
EgunMogaji:
An example of a simple chassis.

Oga sir, are you thinking or have in mind to design something like the suzuki jimny or nomad zoyte 2008/5008
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 02, 2016
Some food for thoughts.

The first gen modern Mini engines are built by Chrysler for BMW and the 2nd gen engines are built by Renault.

One entity doesn't have to do it all.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 02, 2016
nurey:

Oga sir, are you thinking or have in mind to design something like the suzuki jimny or nomad zoyte 2008/5008

Not necessarily saying that this is it but these are the pictures that I look at for ideas.

Remember that we're trying to build affordable cars for Nigerians. There will always be Camrys, Accords, etc available in the market.

Re: Let's Build A Car by nurey(m): 10:42am On Sep 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Not necessarily saying that this is it but these are the pictures that I look at for ideas.

Remember that we're trying to build affordable cars for Nigerians. There will always be Camrys, Accords, etc available in the market.

I just thought deriving something close to those two makes sense, the nomad and jimny still survive with their off road use in Nigeria, there body is still intact after heavy use. Though they don't fall in as car or cuv I have forgotten that Asian category.

I know they do well off road and have good fuel economy I guess we can call them knock about vehicle KAV lol
Re: Let's Build A Car by erico2k2(m): 9:27pm On Sep 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Pimmp tortoise car grin grin grin
Re: Let's Build A Car by erico2k2(m): 9:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Some food for thoughts.

The first gen modern Mini engines are built by Chrysler for BMW and the 2nd gen engines are built by Renault.

One entity doesn't have to do it all.
Im actually thinking allong the line of casting, what material to use in preparing a mould
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 5:14am On Sep 23, 2016
Discerning minds, please read this.

Two things.

1) We don't have to make everything in Nigeria. BMW didn't make everything on the MINI in Germany.

2) Innoson needs to stop saying that they manufacture vehicles, they don't. They are an assembly plant.

We can assemble also at first from a combination of sources as we develop the capability to make parts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Build A Car by tope2045(m): 10:59am On Dec 16, 2016
guys fact is that there are so many people with crazy idea on hw the future should be i remember i had this image of a flying car which i kinda drew really want it to be made and also there are also many crazy ideas in so many people in every part of the nation

so lets get cracking

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Nissan Cars Stronger Than Toyota Cars? / Why Don't Car Dealers Import Diesel-powered Cars To Nigerians? / Mercedes Is Working On Electric G-Class SUV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.