Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,494 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Let's Build A Car - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Build A Car (16005 Views)

China To Build A Flying Train With A Supersonic Speed Of 4000km/hr / Cummins Just Beat Tesla In The Race To Build A Semi Electric Truck / Why It Takes Six Months To Build A Rolls Royce. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Build A Car by Kaydem(m): 10:15am On Aug 18, 2016
Nice work everyone. As much as I would suggest we take the baby steps up the ladder. How about we putting into consideration a solar-powered car, that should give the every day fuel hassle Nigerians are facing a natural death and above all its environmental friendly too. Some students in India rolled out something similar recently.
Re: Let's Build A Car by HyDef(m): 10:49am On Aug 18, 2016
Went through a little bit of the thread.

I think the type of vehicle we should be looking at is a low range 4-door. Something akin to a Micra. Hatchback, probably using a Nissan CG just like the Micra. However, I'm not so well versed on the internals of cars, but perhaps, if a diesel would be better, then that should be it I guess.
Re: Let's Build A Car by omoajiri(m): 10:52am On Aug 18, 2016
Very good idea but I feel we are doing 'exactly what Innoson did'.
Why dont we start by picking an esential element/part of an automobile and produce them locally? Say for instance someone starts the production (from scratch to finish) of any of spark plugs, horn, fuel filter, oil filter or even ordinary radiator or just the car rug etc of common auto brands and models.
Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by clemz85(m): 11:18am On Aug 18, 2016
Go ahead
And
May I assume the position
Of 'critic test driver' when u are don.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by cardoctor(m): 12:24pm On Aug 18, 2016
Lets make a bicycle spoke first then the rest will follow.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by ThundrCork(m): 1:23pm On Aug 18, 2016
i love this

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by KolaShangOne(m): 1:26pm On Aug 18, 2016
I agree with what most people here have said. Let's make the parts then the whole follows.
Let's start producing Engine blocks, spark plugs etc..

@egunmogaji Nice one sir (on the other thread). You sued for peace even without getting the public apology yet. I hope it's all resolved.

My question was based on an Audi model and an Acura. Pics included. Don't know if you can send me a msg on whatsapp.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by doe: 3:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
Is it not better to chose the chassis of an existing car and build or form your own panels around it? Engine lump can be any affordable one that fits the project.
All the other bits can be sourced from various vehicles.

Looking to do a VW or 404/504 project in the near future.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
princetom1:

Sometimes, u do so well that the government has no choice than to support u. That's what i am envisioning. We hadn't mentioned the burgeoning inter state transport that need buses and mini van. We must take baby step first though.

One of the principles I learnt and that I hold dearly in my 30+ years here in the USA is the separation of government and private enterprise and its positive effect on creating commerce.

Here, the government is just s bystander and at best a potential client.

There's tremendous private party wealth in Nigeria and we can even omit dangote, odetola, etc

The point when you ask the government for assistance in Nigeria is the start of failure.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
cardoctor:
Lets make a bicycle spoke first then the rest will follow.

In 2016 there's no need to do that. Even bicycle manufacturers don't even make spokes themselves grin
Re: Let's Build A Car by hawwal84: 3:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nice reading this thread, from my observation we should first classify the middle to low income earner class and determine how much they are willing to spend on a new car.

From my little experience in selling second hand/used Nigerian car, an average buyer will spend in the range of 400,000 - 600,000 Naira for a vehicle. Hence my question to Honourable EgunMogaji (he is the expert and mentioning Ibadan I can relate to him) is that can we make a new car within this range?

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 18, 2016
azpekuliar:
Hi EgunMogaji. Sorry to digress a bit, but I can't help it. How's the BMW K1600GL? (Or is it the GTL?)

It's a fantastic piece of machine of course being a BMW. I put about 200 miles on a friends.

That been said, I've been riding BMWs in Nigeria since the early 80s and unless it's a boxer engine then I'm not satisfied.
Re: Let's Build A Car by cardoctor(m): 5:27pm On Aug 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

In 2016 there's no need to do that. Even bicycle manufacturers don't even make spokes themselves grin

So its ok for me to say that "Its 2016 and there is no need to build a car. Let other countries build then we buy". We got to start from somewhere. See the amount of keke napep and okadas in Nigeria and not even a single spoke for the wheels is manufactured here. Someone has already beat us to it as you can see from the picture below. I have also added a Nigerian built helicopter and that already is a great achievement.

Btw, banana is still being imported from South Africa. What happened to all the fertile land I see when I travel around Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 18, 2016
cardoctor:

So its ok for me to say that "Its 2016 and there is no need to build a car. Let other countries build then we buy". We got to start from somewhere. See the amount of keke napep and okadas in Nigeria and not even a single spoke for the wheels is manufactured here.

Banana is still being imported from South Africa. What happened to all the fertile land I see when I travel around Nigeria?

We're individuals, thus your vision and mine can be different. That's okay.

Businesses exist to serve a purpose, what you're emotionally charging for is in the NGO sphere.

I'm looking to engage, entice professional at home and abroad to come together and do something that while not elaborate can satisfy a need in the society.

The reality is that we don't have the facilities in Nigeria to make an engine, do what's wrong in mass purchasing engines at a discount from other companies who are already established engine manufacturers?

This lack of insight on division of labor is part of what's killing this country.

One man wants to be the chairman, chief executive, managing director of one enterprise.

Think big, be a solution provider and not just a bicycle spoke maker.

Edit:

I just saw the pictures that you added and I smiled.

To others, please those pictures do not represent works of intelligent and educated autoists. Nigerians are better than that.

We can and will do better than that.

One day we will place the federal government of Nigeria on a 2 year waiting list for our product. If we can get together as Nigerians and do the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2016
hawwal84:
Nice reading this thread, from my observation we should first classify the middle to low income earner class and determine how much they are willing to spend on a new car.

From my little experience in selling second hand/used Nigerian car, an average buyer will spend in the range of 400,000 - 600,000 Naira for a vehicle. Hence my question to Honourable EgunMogaji (he is the expert and mentioning Ibadan I can relate to him) is that can we make a new car within this range?

My chief, that is an unreasonable budget for a new car with factory warranty and roadside assistance.

Like I said earlier, my vision is a customer choosing from a list of buffet items and therein lies the potential savings.

So let's say a well fitted car is N2.5m on the showroom floor. Mr. Salary earner could say build me this same car but I don't want pesky power windows as I like to exercise my hand then we minus N150k, I don't want color - just give standard white or black or silver then we minus N175k, he can say "you know my chief, please I don't need AC because I like to feel the breeze" then we remove N225k.

These are just examples of course and not real numbers.

Also, one price scheme. No negotiations on price, everybody pays same.

You'll be surprised that Na condition make crayfish bend, those folks buying N600k are saving another N600k for repairs on used cars. They can get loan from traditional source if they are buying a car from a company that stands behind his product.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 6:39pm On Aug 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My chief, that is an unreasonable budget for a new car with factory warranty and roadside assistance.

Like I said earlier, my vision is a customer choosing from a list of buffet items and therein lies the potential savings.

So let's say a well fitted car is N2.5m on the showroom floor. Mr. Salary earner could say build me this same car but I don't want pesky power windows as I like to exercise my hand then we minus N150k, I don't want color - just give standard white or black or silver then we minus N175k, he can say "you know my chief, please I don't need AC because I like to feel the breeze" then we remove N225k.

These are just examples of course and not real numbers.

Also, one price scheme. No negotiations on price, everybody pays same.

You'll be surprised that Na condition make crayfish bend, those folks buying N600k are saving another N600k for repairs on used cars. They can get loan from traditional source if they are buying a car from a company that stands behind his product.

I love ur last line, irunmole, COMPANY THAT STAND BEHIND ITS PRODUCT. So, let the parts be available in ladipo, aba, abuja, ebute metta and so on. Let there be mechanics u understand these vehicle and wount just make guesses or error and trial. Not everyone takes their car to the dealership for repair, let there be total awareness, u can arrange seminars, round table,meeting and so on to enlighten and train individuals who can be certified to work on these vehicles. Lets not just think about the company alone, lets think about revolutionizing the auto industry with out technical know hows, training and so on. Wen u invest in people, great things are bound to happen. I want a future whereby an individual can design and produce prototypes that function. Not the picture posted earlier, nothing intelligent about it in 2016

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by FactsTruths: 6:59pm On Aug 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

We're individuals, thus your vision and mine can be different. That's okay.

Businesses exist to serve a purpose, what you're emotionally charging for is in the NGO sphere.

I'm looking to engage, entice professional at home and abroad to come together and do something that while not elaborate can satisfy a need in the society.

The reality is that we don't have the facilities in Nigeria to make an engine, do what's wrong in mass purchasing engines at a discount from other companies who are already established engine manufacturers?

This lack of insight on division of labor is part of what's killing this country.

One man wants to be the chairman, chief executive, managing director of one enterprise.

Think big, be a solution provider and not just a bicycle spoke maker.

Edit:

I just saw the pictures that you added and I smiled.

To others, please those pictures do not represent works of intelligent and educated autoists. Nigerians are better than that.

We can and will do better than that.

One day we will place the federal government of Nigeria on a 2 year waiting list for our product. If we can get together as Nigerians and do the right thing.

I'm quoting this, with respect to the last sentence.
"I'm in" Let's do this.
Re: Let's Build A Car by doe: 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2016
Mass car production no be moi moi. Without govt or backing of very rich investors na pipe dream.
No need knocking people's attempt as unintelligent. So long as it is functional, it is a start.
Though some Nigerians just produce art that will never hit the road.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 18, 2016
princetom1:

I love ur last line, irunmole, COMPANY THAT STAND BEHIND ITS PRODUCT. So, let the parts be available in ladipo, aba, abuja, ebute metta and so on. Let there be mechanics u understand these vehicle and wount just make guesses or error and trial. Not everyone takes their car to the dealership for repair, let there be total awareness, u can arrange seminars, round table,meeting and so on to enlighten and train individuals who can be certified to work on these vehicles. Lets not just think about the company alone, lets think about revolutionizing the auto industry with out technical know hows, training and so on. Wen u invest in people, great things are bound to happen. I want a future whereby an individual can design and produce prototypes that function. Not the picture posted earlier, nothing intelligent about it in 2016

On the rare occasion that I take my car in for work, I usually go to independent shops that are manned by factory trained and certificated mechanics.

Those pictures shown are a disfavor to Nigerians. Intelligent Nigerians with education, tools and resources can do better than those.

I'm as nationalistic as they come but we also have to be reasonable.

How many Nigerians fly the flag on their house? And I don't even live in Nigeria yet grin

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
doe:
Mass car production no be moi moi. Without govt or backing of very rich investors na pipe dream.
No need knocking propolis attempt as unintelligent. So long as it is functional, it is a start.
Though some Nigerians just produce art that will never hit the road.

Thank you for your opinion.

To others, please don't be dissuaded, much is being achieved by a group of people in developed countries.

The cutting down of ideas is why development is not robust in Nigeria. Everybody wants to work in secret. I wonder why.

I've rebuilt at least 5 cars and I'm speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by doe: 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2016
Sir, it was an opinion.
But you will agree that rebuilding or putting together CKD is different from the amount of investment involved in R&D for mass production.
I wasn't knocking your idea.
Btw, I repair and fix things. Not just cars!
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 18, 2016
doe:
Sir, it was an opinion.
But you will agree that rebuilding or putting together CKD is different from the amount of investment involved in R&grin for mass production.
I wasn't knocking your idea.
Btw, I repair and fix things. Not just cars!

All opinions are welcomed.

This is going to happen. The difference is either 1 car a year versus 1 car a day.

Edit:

We have an option that you are overlooking. There's massive unemployment in Nigeria across all social status.

What you need is people working and not robots in a factory.

When people are not hungry, can look towards the future then many social ills will be reduced. It's all related and linked.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 18, 2016
As an example, new bodyshells of the classic Austin Mini Cooper are being made and available for sale.

Should we import the parts, assemble it and sell it to foreign hobbyists?

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by princetom1(m): 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:
As an example, new bodyshells of the classic Austin Mini Cooper are being made and available for sale.

Should we import the parts, assemble it and sell it to foreign hobbyists?

Naaaaaaaaa
Re: Let's Build A Car by Ndukwe007(m): 2:49am On Aug 19, 2016
Hi everyone, i love treads like this ad it brings productive minds together. im a polymer engineer, i build boats. i have a plan to go into car manufacturing in the future but with fiberglass body. the engine will be small just high enough to convey 4 persons. i believe a lot of cars are over powered and contribute a lot to pollution. we can source 80 percent materials locally. lets work on alternatives that's the only way to develop.

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by Ndukwe007(m): 2:53am On Aug 19, 2016
omoajiri:
Very good idea but I feel we are doing 'exactly what Innoson did'.
Why dont we start by picking an esential element/part of an automobile and produce them locally? Say for instance someone starts the production (from scratch to finish) of any of spark plugs, horn, fuel filter, oil filter or even ordinary radiator or just the car rug etc of common auto brands and models.
Just my 2 cents
thats exactly my point, we can localize production. we can use fiberglass the mould are easier to produce .
Re: Let's Build A Car by Ndukwe007(m): 3:02am On Aug 19, 2016
cardoctor:

So its ok for me to say that "Its 2016 and there is no need to build a car. Let other countries build then we buy". We got to start from somewhere. See the amount of keke napep and okadas in Nigeria and not even a single spoke for the wheels is manufactured here. Someone has already beat us to it as you can see from the picture below. I have also added a Nigerian built helicopter and that already is a great achievement.

Btw, banana is still being imported from South Africa. What happened to all the fertile land I see when I travel around Nigeria?
these guy are creative no dobth but to successfully build an aircraft u need to understand the principle of aerodynamics. without which your project is just a toy.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 19, 2016
Ndukwe007:
Hi everyone, i love treads like this ad it brings productive minds together. im a polymer engineer, i build boats. i have a plan to go into car manufacturing in the future but with fiberglass body. the engine will be small just high enough to convey 4 persons. i believe a lot of cars are over powered and contribute a lot to pollution. we can source 80 percent materials locally. lets work on alternatives that's the only way to develop.

This is exactly why I created this thread. TO draw out Nigerians with technical skills. Welcome.

I've worked on building a fiberglass car from Venezuela, the concern for cracks during the build did not allow the owner to fully enjoy the car.

I can see alternative materials for hood, engine and trunk cover but for the whole car might be an issue for the Nigerian road that is filled with opportunistic potholes.

Regarding engines, I personally don't see a need for anything bigger than a small displacement 4cyl engine, maybe supplemented by a small turbocharger.
Re: Let's Build A Car by Nobody: 9:08am On Aug 19, 2016
Ndukwe007:

these guy are creative no dobth but to successfully build an aircraft u need to understand the principle of aerodynamics. without which your project is just a toy.

I fly remote controlled aircraft and even those are a lecture on aerodynamics and flight mechanics. It's a shame that any of these are being passed off as a working prototype. They are nothing but yard arts.
Re: Let's Build A Car by nuwell(m): 9:49am On Aug 19, 2016
I like this initiative and where this can go. Great contributions so far. We can do this.
I follow

1 Like

Re: Let's Build A Car by meksfem(m): 9:55am On Aug 19, 2016
NAIRALANDERS THERE IS A FREE PROMO GOING ON FOR FIRST THREE(3) EXOTIC CARS FOR A COMPREHENSIVE CAR WASH, WHICH WOULD BRING BACK YOUR CAR TO A NEW ONE AT 365, AGEGE MOTOR ROAD ILUPEJU MEECHEAL EXCELS LTD. CALL EMEKA ON 09087128992 FOR THE SERVICE AT THE COMPANY. GET YOURS NOW BEFORE OFFER CLOSES!!!
Re: Let's Build A Car by victoryofGOD(m): 10:16am On Aug 19, 2016
chief i hail!. though i don't have much to contribute but incase you need workforce... i'm there for you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2019 Lamborghini Urus: Five Things We Know / A Day At LASTMA Office Oshodi / Why Do You Drive With Your Headlights On During The Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.