Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,357 members, 7,812,013 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) (71717 Views)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by usibengate(m): 12:40am On Apr 13, 2018
No comment, not interested anyday!
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by liRichy(f): 12:45am On Apr 13, 2018
am from owerri north our kindred list is same whether rich or poor but dowry is different depending on family.but mine last year was close to 500 just mother father list dowry is 50k then ur celebration is optional but u must pay all in the list. then ur igbaukwu can take place
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by blastac: 12:53am On Apr 13, 2018
In my place in Ezeagu Enugu, it's not upto 1k but you would have to get the normal yam,palmwine etc. In total its highest 15k or 10k.. then the traditional marriage list is not upto 150k so if u den decide to do more Dan it's on u...

Ps each family has different marriage rites but have never seen or heard anyone day goes beyond 200k unless the recession increases de prices of beer, goats etc

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by babzlim(m): 12:57am On Apr 13, 2018
Damzy007:
I expected you igbos to open up more about this topic but you've not started speaking yet. I need someone to expatiate more on why they request for a motorcycle or keke napep from the groom, why he has to make some cushion chairs for his inlaws, why he has to buy cloths and shoes for his inlaws even undies and I learnt that each of your wedding has each stages. I need honest answers please.

The only and simple reason ur not getting that ur honest answer is ... we don't have a FCVKING IDEA OF WHAT UR FCVKING TALKING ABOUT D.I.C.K HEAD. My beloved brother dat questions are not for my beloved igbos. Thanks and we love U.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by smoothfrancis: 1:17am On Apr 13, 2018
FOR LIKE A YEAR I HAVENT LOGGED IN TO MY NAIRALAND ACCOUNT BUT THIS THREAD JUST MADE ME LOG IN SO I CAN COMMENT,I MAY NOT BE AN EXPERT ON CULTURE AND TRADITION BUT WHEN IT COMES TO BRIDE PRICE ISSUES IN IGBO BESTLAND I KNOW A BIT AB9UT HOW IT WORKS SO I WILL TRY AND EXPLAIN THE BEST WAY I CAN:SO IN IGBO LAND BRIDE PRICE AND MARRIAGE RIGHTS IS SOLEY UP TO THE INLAWS INVOLVED,NOW ONE THING CERTAIN IS THE FACT THAT THE COMMUNITY OF THE BRIDE WILL ALWAYS GIVE YOU A LIST SO EMANDING YOU WOULD SCREAM HOLY MURDER BUT THE THING IS THE LIST IS NOT ACTUALLY MEANT TO REPRESENT WHAT YOU HAVE TO BUY OR PAY ,RATHER ITS MEANT TO CREATE A CONCEPT OR IDEA THAT THE WOMAN YOU ARE ABOUT TO MARRY IS VALUABLE,NOW AFTER GETTING THE LIST THE TWO FAMILIES MEET AND TALK ON HOW THE BRIDE PRICE WILL ACTUALLY BE TAKEN CARE OF,THEN AFTER THAT THE BRIDES DAD CALLS HIS KINSMEN AND TELLS THEM HOW AND WHAT TO REQUEST FROM HIS INLAWS,SOMETIMES THE GROOM'S FAMILY MIGHT DECIDE THAT THEY WANT TO PAY AND BUY WHATEVER IS IN THAT LIST OR EVEN DO MORE JUST TO PROVE THEY ARE WEALTHY AND WELL PREPARED..ALSO LET ME STATE THAT WHICHEVER COMMUNITY YOU GO TO GET MARRIED FROM IN IGBO LAND ANY LIST GIVEN TO YOU IS SUBJECT TO BARGAINING AND DEBATES..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by donqx: 1:36am On Apr 13, 2018
oh
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by RexTramadol1: 1:38am On Apr 13, 2018
from this side 5M for special people(handicapped)

10M for flat chest n flat bakasi

15M for flat chest big bakasi

20M for big chest n small bakasi

25M for big chest n big bakasi

30M for any tall or short

100M for virgin.

I came here to read comments......my brodaz beware of MBAISE!!!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 1:45am On Apr 13, 2018
From my place in imo state.... standard bride price plus list and everything is just 150-170k...

the groom's family can decide to bargain and pay less... if they are rich, they can decide to pay more...

p.s: if you want to marry from imo, hold up to 100k at least.... i don't know about mbaise people though...

everything depends on the bride's family though...

some inlaws use the list as a medium to showcase their greed....

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by DerideGull(m): 2:03am On Apr 13, 2018
motherfucker:
Good Morning Lovely Family,

I come in peace and I wish to indulge your collective contribution to my search. There seems to be air of misconception filled with untrue ideologies on igbo custom of marriage and bride price--at least from the majority of non-igbos who wish to marry an igbo lady.

I do understand that igbos are of diverse customs, tribe and tradition, which stipulate different rules, requirements when it comes to issues of marrying a lady from such regions.

Several months ago, a particular thread hit front page which was created by blogger flirtykaren; I mean lailasblog.com. In that thread, an image of list of items that should be presented by the groom was captured. The reaction of readers to the said list or thread announced displeasure. Some could be heard saying that Igbos sell their daughters; others asked are they gold? Others said they will never marry an Igbo lady. It went on and on.

source: https://www.nairaland.com/3054077/2016-bride-price-umuahia-abia

The sad part about the above mentioned event in that thread is that over 100 blogs have copied same content, same image and thereby circulating what might not be true. I can tell you that that report might be doing more harm than good, beyond what we might imagine. How did I know, I did a google search for the keyword phrase :"Abia State Bride Price". What I saw was a circulation of flirtykaren's post. Some other guys might do a google search and will be greeted by same reportage, which could be detrimental to potential bride of igbo extract.

A certain section of the thread claimed that in their own custom, it is relatively cheap/ affordable to marry a from his/her own tribe. Another said that the list is lie and nothing like that exist in their place. This captured my reason for creating this thread. I would want us to give potential non igbo groom the right information. This could mean that flirtykaren, just like many bloggers in Nigeria, didn't do thorough research and investigation before reporting such thread.

Numerous threads have also been created on same topic which still caused uproar by non igbos while some still claim it is not expensive to marry from their region. Is that the case? Wouldn't be nice if you (those who claim it is not expensive) to educate us on how it is done with broken down procedures?

Are you from Imo State, Anambra State, Ebonyi State, Abia State, Enugu State? What part of these states are you from? Can you be kind and humble enough to educate us how traditional marriage is carried out in your tribe among this states? I want specifics according to how it is done village by village, clan by clan and not one that represent the entire Igbo tribe.

I decided to put this here because we have more married folks around here, as against the Culture section and since Nairaland is quickly indexed, this could serve as panacea or palliative in the future among blogs.

Please this is very important. Thank you for your time.

You cannot learn the culture and tradition of the people from the pages of Internet forum.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by TEYA: 2:27am On Apr 13, 2018
even Anambrarians are claiming #200,000. You guys should continue lying, the thunder that will fire you is coming soon, as a matter of fact, it is somewhere around the corner.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by dvkot(m): 2:38am On Apr 13, 2018
Greene66:
[

I can even buy car 1.7m buy no one would say it isn't my property because I paid for it. You can't compare a human being to a mobile phone can you,?

Bride price = N30 naira
Marriage List = N300k

Who is a fool? We go school abeg. What is bought is bought. Hiding under "list" is no escape from the truth. Why not allow the groom bring whatever he can afford? Why make a "demand"?

Just like a phone seller that demanded 250k for phone and we pay. The phone becomes a property. So father or kinsmen demanding 300k list for daughter and we pay equals a property just like the mobile phone.

What is wrong is wrong and should be abolished. God knows I would never sell my daughter. My father did not sell my sister.
so what is ur point? hw do they marry in ur side
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sanpipita(m): 2:49am On Apr 13, 2018
Many non igbos should really ask questions about this bride price thing, its clear they don't know how it works, bride price isn't more than 5k in many places in Igbo land the major thing that makes traditional marriage in Igbo land costly is the marriage rites list, it very different from bride price, in Igbo land when you come to marry you don't just come to the girls family to.marry but her entire kindred, the marriage rites list involves things needed to be bought for her kindred umunna And umuada reason it gets costly, its never bride price but a traditional requirement you need to do for people you are marrying their daughter from, the girls parents barely get anything from the marriage rites list its mostly for kindred people

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by InvertedHammer: 2:56am On Apr 13, 2018
If the marriage doesn't work, what do you expect to be returned?

\

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 3:43am On Apr 13, 2018
sirBLUNT:
missjoy29 how have you been? its been a while
I have been good dearie. What about you?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by ObservantFellow: 4:00am On Apr 13, 2018
Married from Mbaise in Imo State few years back.
Although I was present all through the rites, the haggling is what I really needed to avoid. My gross spending was about N200k. More of it went to my wife's mother and the women of the community though. I think the requirements for her late father/amaala was covered by N50k of the cash. The ceremony was according to my tastes and what I could afford to do.
These days, people tend to avoid the haggles, so they prefer to pay in cash and move on. In a nutshell, it's about what you can afford. My elder sister was married with about same amount while my aunt who was a M.Sc some years back when she was married did so with about N100k.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by kenechi072: 4:10am On Apr 13, 2018
Soteriahascome:
If e no bi Anambra or Enugu I no do again...

My bro went to mbaise to collect list. Gosh! Those people are super greedy.

List reach 800k tufia

I wish he can cancel the marriage but the girl love am like mumu

Honestly, no serious minded lady will want to marry an archaic and hungry man like you. kindly stick to your Anambra and Enugu
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by noblealuu: 4:17am On Apr 13, 2018
Any idea about Ndiowu in Orumba North of Anambra State. What are their traditional marriage rites biko?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sojats(m): 4:22am On Apr 13, 2018
PrecisionFx:

And who gave u that useless list grin.
well, you might call it useless but that is what they want to collect to release their child to me. I am still hustling to ensure I get everything listed becos the trad is coming up next month. Clothes alone is estimated to cost about 150k and there is still entertainment not included in the list.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Ndipe(m): 4:34am On Apr 13, 2018
Igbo bride-price is very steep, so I heard.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sojats(m): 4:36am On Apr 13, 2018
1Dray:

Any idea on that of Onicha Igboeze?
I don't sir. Na only the place Wey I wan go marry I know.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by blank(f): 5:15am On Apr 13, 2018
MChaze25:

No be Uga wey I know?
Told a girl from Uga that I ve got 400k and asked if I can come and ask for her list?
She said that's too cheap for her #poor family.
This was like 4 years ago. Till today, she still never marry o.
Waiting for the maga them go hammer on top him head with 500k and above.

I am not from Uga. Also, anybody can claim any amount but what is written in the constitution?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by 1Dray(m): 5:41am On Apr 13, 2018
sojats:
I don't sir. Na only the place Wey I wan go marry I know.

OK that's good. Thanks.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by adanonso(f): 5:48am On Apr 13, 2018
From My Side In nnewi South Of Anambara, The List Is Two Type. And The Highest One Is Not Up To 150K. The Bride Depend On The Bride Family. My Father Collected #100 From My Husband. Out Of The #10.000 He AgreedTo Pay.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Xmen149(m): 5:48am On Apr 13, 2018
mamachizzy:
Aguata is a local government not a town. Ekwulobia in Aguata is 70 naira. unless u jam greedy family

Can you throw a lil light on this of recent,.i mean rites not just bride price
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by lifenajeje(m): 5:59am On Apr 13, 2018
Soteriahascome:
If e no bi Anambra or Enugu I no do again...

My bro went to mbaise to collect list. Gosh! Those people are super greedy.

List reach 800k tufia

I wish he can cancel the marriage but the girl love am like mumu

My friend married from mbaise we can sum the list to 400 k but what was actually spent was about 200k for things on the list and the party...the family waived some things off despite the brides father been late.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by lifenajeje(m): 6:05am On Apr 13, 2018
ObservantFellow:
Married from Mbaise in Imo State few years back.
Although I was present all through the rites, the haggling is what I really needed to avoid. My gross spending was about N200k. More of it went to my wife's mother and the women of the community though. I think the requirements for her late father/amaala was covered by N50k of the cash. The ceremony was according to my tastes and what I could afford to do.
These days, people tend to avoid the haggles, so they prefer to pay in cash and move on. In a nutshell, it's about what you can afford. My elder sister was married with about same amount while my aunt who was a M.Sc some years back when she was married did so with about N100k.

Well said....its all about ur negotiating skills...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:17am On Apr 13, 2018
DerideGull:

You cannot learn the culture and tradition of the people from the pages of Internet forum.
Mschwwwww...
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by newoffer: 6:31am On Apr 13, 2018
Mrbigman1:
Am from Anambra an uga precisely and I can tell u dat we have the cheapest requirements.

With just a goat, 100 litters of palm wine, coconut, colanuts, some few money say about 50 - 80 k den bride price depends on d umunna.
The rich relatively collects cheaper.

From my own family, when monitized, it have always summed up to be around 250k - 270 apart from the normal celebration.

If u wanna celebrate and call the whole world, it's ur own cup of tea den.
. Uga People. Respect to Sir Alphonsus Nwoye . one of d finest Uga man I know.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:31am On Apr 13, 2018
SmartPolician:
The obsession of nairaland.com with anything Igbo beats my imagination
don't turn this into politics or tribal war!
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:32am On Apr 13, 2018
FanYogo1:
Imagine paying #500k for a hairy dirty ibo girl
are all igbo girls hairy?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:35am On Apr 13, 2018
johnnyn1:

Indirectly selling out their daughters..
dude, if you love a woman and can afford it, pay the damn money. What is 250k or even 500k?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Both Bow To Greet Each Other (Photo) / The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.