Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,322 members, 7,811,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) (71710 Views)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:38am On Apr 13, 2018
dankol:
whoever tells me 250k is cheap is joking abi?

250 k is forking cheap. If my laptop can go for 250k so Na for marriage I go come dey complain? U guys should upgrade Biko. Hustle more.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:44am On Apr 13, 2018
InvertedHammer:
ABC Transport from Lagos to Zamfara: N8,000.

15 lashes of koboko

1 bottle of alomo bitters.(to soothe your nerves)

2 shots of sango Otta ( to console yourself)

Total cost still less than N15k.

Try beating that.

Of course, the greedy Mbaise folks will not show on this thread.

/
They didn't show up and we can summarize it to mean they are likely the ones misinforming the state of marriage in Igbo land but as we can see now that it is not as expensive as we presume.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:50am On Apr 13, 2018
usecondom:
Are these figures quoted here correct? There was a lady i was supposed to marry years back, her friends same Igbo ladies told me it is going to cost me all my savings to marry her. So all those were lies? like seriously? The stories you have to buy car for father and keke napep for mama? Millions for bride price? God. I have to apologize to someone. I just made flimsy excuses to end that relationship Nneka i am really sorry. May God forgive me. I am happily married and wish you well wherever you are today. A good lady and an Angel.

You forked up. Damn. Was it the friends that would have decided at the last day? I am really disappointed. You didn't love her enough , other wise you would have ask questions around.

Those friends of hers might have done so out of jealousy to prevent her from getting married.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by bibe(m): 6:50am On Apr 13, 2018
motherfucker:
Good Morning Lovely Family,

I come in peace and I wish to indulge your collective contribution to my search. There seems to be air of misconception filled with untrue ideologies on igbo custom of marriage and bride price--at least from the majority of non-igbos who wish to marry an igbo lady.

I do understand that igbos are of diverse customs, tribe and tradition, which stipulate different rules, requirements when it comes to issues of marrying a lady from such regions.

Several months ago, a particular thread hit front page which was created by blogger flirtykaren; I mean lailasblog.com. In that thread, an image of list of items that should be presented by the groom was captured. The reaction of readers to the said list or thread announced displeasure. Some could be heard saying that Igbos sell their daughters; others asked are they gold? Others said they will never marry an Igbo lady. It went on and on.

source: https://www.nairaland.com/3054077/2016-bride-price-umuahia-abia

The sad part about the above mentioned event in that thread is that over 100 blogs have copied same content, same image and thereby circulating what might not be true. I can tell you that that report might be doing more harm than good, beyond what we might imagine. How did I know, I did a google search for the keyword phrase :"Abia State Bride Price". What I saw was a circulation of flirtykaren's post. Some other guys might do a google search and will be greeted by same reportage, which could be detrimental to potential bride of igbo extract.

A certain section of the thread claimed that in their own custom, it is relatively cheap/ affordable to marry a from his/her own tribe. Another said that the list is lie and nothing like that exist in their place. This captured my reason for creating this thread. I would want us to give potential non igbo groom the right information. This could mean that flirtykaren, just like many bloggers in Nigeria, didn't do thorough research and investigation before reporting such thread.

Numerous threads have also been created on same topic which still caused uproar by non igbos while some still claim it is not expensive to marry from their region. Is that the case? Wouldn't be nice if you (those who claim it is not expensive) to educate us on how it is done with broken down procedures?

Are you from Imo State, Anambra State, Ebonyi State, Abia State, Enugu State? What part of these states are you from? Can you be kind and humble enough to educate us how traditional marriage is carried out in your tribe among this states? I want specifics according to how it is done village by village, clan by clan and not one that represent the entire Igbo tribe.

I decided to put this here because we have more married folks around here, as against the Culture section and since Nairaland is quickly indexed, this could serve as panacea or palliative in the future among blogs.

Please this is very important. Thank you for your time.

Kindly modify and include Delta (Anioma) and Rivers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 6:53am On Apr 13, 2018
duroc:
Please I want to know about the Benin bride price and the rest..
lol.. Benin is the cheapest. With 200k to 400k u are good to go.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 7:01am On Apr 13, 2018
bibe:

Kindly modify and include Delta (Anioma) and Rivers.
I couldn't oh... I tried. It appear that a front page thread can not be edited.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Pat081: 7:03am On Apr 13, 2018
motherfucker:
oh wow. This put a smile on my face. Please which state is Idemili in?

I am sure many people, non igbos, especially the yorubas will have some smiles on their face.

God bless all the people commenting.

We need more comments to put this to front page in order to counter the damage done flirtykaren's post. You have no idea until you have done a google search. But Nairaland is head above others and therefore it could serve as a reference point with better perspective, information and eductation.

I need someone from Abia state oooo. Please speak up if you are from Abia state.
[sup][/sup] hmmmmm we never marry our own finish u re asking us to go marry lgbo ,lols but after d marriage hope u will nt spend more than dat on d family of d gal
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by LotannaAnaekwe: 7:05am On Apr 13, 2018
Damzy007:
I expected you igbos to open up more about this topic but you've not started speaking yet. I need someone to expatiate more on why they request for a motorcycle or keke napep from the groom, why he has to make some cushion chairs for his inlaws, why he has to buy cloths and shoes for his inlaws even undies and I learnt that each of your wedding has each stages. I need honest answers please.

Is anyone forcing you to marry an igbo girl?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by bibe(m): 7:06am On Apr 13, 2018
motherfucker:
I couldn't oh... I tried. It appear that a front page thread can not be edited.

Alright buddy.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by LotannaAnaekwe: 7:08am On Apr 13, 2018
TEYA:
even Anambrarians are claiming #200,000. You guys should continue lying, the thunder that will fire you is coming soon, as a matter of fact, it is somewhere around the corner.

Thunder is already firing you DICKHEAD!
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by LotannaAnaekwe: 7:14am On Apr 13, 2018
My cousin sister's brideprice was 12k.
List was 260k monititizing.
Then he spent exclusively for the marriage proper. According to his taste.

In essence we can say what the family collected was 260k +12k=272k.

Enugu Agidi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by GoodinPurple: 7:16am On Apr 13, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Blatant useless AFONJA lies grin.

Na WA ooo, because I said what I truly observed I am an Afonja.

My dear abum nwafor igbo, Onye nnewi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by chinnyness122(f): 7:48am On Apr 13, 2018
I am from Mbanagu Otolo Nnewi in Anambra state. My trad list contained the following
35 crates of malt
15 crates of mineral
2 cartons of pure heaven
1 bag of rice
7 fowls
1 cow hand or leg
30k for cooking ingredients
As for the bride price, according to hubby, he paid about 10k out of which 500 naira was taken and d rest returned. him.
NB: there's no palm wine cos of the "born againish" nature of my umunna. they bliv palm wine is alcoholic and alcohol consumption is a sin. I

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Prudent5217: 7:50am On Apr 13, 2018
Am from Abiriba in Ohafia LGA Abia State getting married soon to my fiancé from Arochukwu. This is the list I got

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by olowobaba10: 8:08am On Apr 13, 2018
AND YOU CALL THAT CHEAP?
Mrbigman1:
Am from Anambra an uga precisely and I can tell u dat we have the cheapest requirements.

With just a goat, 100 litters of palm wine, coconut, colanuts, some few money say about 50 - 80 k den bride price depends on d umunna.
The rich relatively collects cheaper.

From my own family, when monitized, it have always summed up to be around 250k - 270 apart from the normal celebration.

If u wanna celebrate and call the whole world, it's ur own cup of tea den.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:12am On Apr 13, 2018
Greene66:

As usual, no base to counter my points than to result into insults.

Keep selling your daughters while their husbands keep beating them and violating them because they paid. Scammers. Put them on OLX and JIJI. Assholes

For your info,my mother is from Delta State. She wasn't sold either. You have no excuse.

And where did I give u excuses? Ur kolomental is increasing.

Afonja like i already said, u have a zilch idea about issues concerning Igbo traditional marriage n thus stop slotting ur mouth in an issue u have never been a part of.

Jisike na agba ala ka baba ndi ara; D.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 13, 2018
GoodinPurple:

Na WA ooo, because I said what I truly observed I am an Afonja.

My dear abum nwafor igbo, Onye nnewi.

Then translate this

Oke na apu ala, odika inwero ugwu na nsopuru ebe ndi toro gi no. Biko zuzupu ebe a ka mu fu uzo.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 13, 2018
sojats:
well, you might call it useless but that is what they want to collect to release their child to me. I am still hustling to ensure I get everything listed becos the trad is coming up next month. Clothes alone is estimated to cost about 150k and there is still entertainment not included in the list.

AFONJA n lies are like that Zuma pinshure
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Freeman50(m): 8:21am On Apr 13, 2018
Interesting one......but it's seems it's only Anambra that's dealing with it.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by donigspain(m): 8:33am On Apr 13, 2018
motherfucker:
oh wow. This put a smile on my face. Please which state is Idemili in?

I am sure many people, non igbos, especially the yorubas will have some smiles on their face.

God bless all the people commenting.

We need more comments to put this to front page in order to counter the damage done flirtykaren's post. You have no idea until you have done a google search. But Nairaland is head above others and therefore it could serve as a reference point with better perspective, information and eductation.

I need someone from Abia state oooo. Please speak up if you are from Abia state.
I'm from Abia state. Item in Bende LGA to be precise.

My immediate elder sister's bride price was put at N375 (three hundred and seventy-five naira) and it was customary not to pay it all at once no matter how rich the in law is. He paid it in 3 installments.

The traditional demands could sum up to N70,000. If you decide to celebrate the marriage, the cost is at your discretion.

I've been privileged to witness many marriages from my place and I can assure you the traditional demands are not expensive.

PS: I'm typing from GIGM bus heading to Onitsha for my cousin's wedding tomorrow. Her traditional demands were all cleared last year by the in law and they've been living as husband and wife. They just want to celebrate the union.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:35am On Apr 13, 2018
Prudent5217:
Am from Abiriba in Ohafia LGA Abia State getting married soon to my fiancé from Arochukwu. This is the list I got

Na only u talk true.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by GoodinPurple: 8:37am On Apr 13, 2018
[quote author=PrecisionFx post=66668806]

Then translate this

Oke na apu ala, odika inwero ugwu na nsopuru ebe ndi toro gi no. Biko zuzupu ebe a ka mu fu uzo. [/quo

O bu so ugwu, ma utazi.
Nwoke m, buru onye gi si ebe a buo.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:49am On Apr 13, 2018
[quote author=GoodinPurple post=66669379][/quote]

gringringringringrin.

Lmao.

Google translate don cast u.

Every Igbo man can easily detect any English translated to Igbo using the Google translate.

Google translate contains many Igbo dialects combined together so it's extremely easy to detect that.

Most importantly, Ur translated reply is no where near what it should be grin.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by rossyc(f): 8:51am On Apr 13, 2018
safarigirl:
From Arochukwu, the bride price is N25

Every other thing is at the discretion of the bride's family, umunna and umuada.
So u are my sister.. wow
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 13, 2018
motherfucker:
don't turn this into politics or tribal war!

Yorubas have already turned it into a tribal war.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 9:06am On Apr 13, 2018
Pat081:
[sup][/sup] hmmmmm we never marry our own finish u re asking us to go marry lgbo ,lols but after d marriage hope u will nt spend more than dat on d family of d gal

A lot of non igbos always want to marry Igbo women.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:11am On Apr 13, 2018
motherfucker:
Bro, he meant that items needed is around that amount. Anything after that is left to you and you can then choose to spend just 300k in addition to that one. In essence, with 600k, you have a traditional marriage. White wedding should be a lot cheaper.

Besides, people buy land, laptops, clothes for more than 250k, so why should spending such an amount be seen as too expensive.
do u really practice ur moniker?
wonders shall never end

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 13, 2018
ndy87:

Na only u talk true.

Note this, Igbo marriage isn't more expensive than Yoruba marriage.

Meanwhile the list he gave u is from arochukwu n its their personal choice. Marriage rites in Igbo land varies from one village to another, we don't have a fixed rule.

Meanwhile the list of things to buy for marriage rites in igbo land isn't 100% compulsory, There's always a barest minimum because we igbos consider that there are poor ones in life so they must eb accommodated.

If igbo marriages are very expensive as u believe, Then how does poor plumbers, shoemaker, barrow pushers, welders, vulcanizers, Bus Conductors n drivers get married

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 9:14am On Apr 13, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
do u really practice ur moniker?
wonders shall never end
what wonders bro?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by shugasofttouch: 9:18am On Apr 13, 2018
Mrbigman1:
Am from Anambra an uga precisely and I can tell u dat we have the cheapest requirements.

With just a goat, 100 litters of palm wine, coconut, colanuts, some few money say about 50 - 80 k den bride price depends on d umunna.
The rich relatively collects cheaper.

From my own family, when monitized, it have always summed up to be around 250k - 270 apart from the normal celebration.

If u wanna celebrate and call the whole world, it's ur own cup of tea den.
and you call this cheap when in other places when u monetize everything u r asked to bring including bride price it 40k n in some cases lesser
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by IamAirforce1: 9:18am On Apr 13, 2018
Chikita66:
I'm from imo, everything in our own list is 200k-250k minus brideprice.

Mbaise people own is higher though.

You Owerri people won't hide your hatred for Mbaise people even on a public forum as these ...

Owerri women are the worst set of people to marry from in Imo state yet they still talk down on mbaise people .

My uncle spent only 160k to marry from Afogbe in mbaise, Imo state this past January and she's a graduate, so where did you got your news that mbaise women are too expensive to marry from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Both Bow To Greet Each Other (Photo) / The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.