Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo (15661 Views)

I Was Persuaded To Buy Items Looted From Jonathan's House - Trader / Obasanjo Swearing In Buhari As Petroleum Minister In 1976 (Throwback Photo) / Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 8:33am On Aug 16, 2016
kossyablaze:
Create a thread for dat... And I would reply u accordingly. This thread is for Obasanjo.... U r derailing it

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ok sir cheesy
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by yanshDoctor: 8:36am On Aug 16, 2016
most of the time this history may have been altered and sweetening to deceive the public.

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 8:39am On Aug 16, 2016
Flyingngel:

Hahahaha, i agree with u. The first step of fighting corruption in Nigeria is making any elected offices less attractive. Both d National Assembly and State own shld b on part time basis, believe me u will see a drastic drop from people fighting for it.

Above all NigerIan need a leader with a will power who can even fight his own blood if found wanting in d corruption arena.

How will that leader get there in the first place?

How would Buhari have gotten there without entering into some unholy alliances that would need compromises to keep?

My dear, Nigeria can never be rid of corruption as it is. If dividing is too extreme, then regionalism for a start. localizing govt will make it easy for us to lynch political leaders who get drunk on power and our money. Agbekoya struggle of the '60s western region proves this.

Abuja provides too much security and cover for political leaders from all over the country

4 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 9:18am On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=shukuokukobambi post=48522443]

How will that leader get there in the first place?

How would Buhari have gotten there without entering into some unholy alliances that would need compromises to keep?

My dear, Nigeria can never be rid of corruption as it is. If dividing is too extreme, then regionalism for a start. localizing govt will make it easy for us to lynch political leaders who get drunk on power and our money. Agbekoya struggle of the '60s western region proves this.

Abuja provides too much security and cover for political leaders from all over the country.

I like the 'lynching' part. Sometimes i ask myself how Malaysia, South Korea were able to fight corruption to b where they are today. Remember this two countries was not near Nigeria both in GDP and NDP.

In terms of Regional govt that u pointed out, my brother if we don't fight can't tribalism now then with that it will b out of hand; because minority tribe in that region will b dominated by d majority and there will b problem.

Power shld b trime down from federal Govt and b given to d states and local government more while the center will have eagle eye over hw d states makes use of d resources.
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 9:46am On Aug 16, 2016
Flyingngel:

I like the 'lynching' part. Sometimes i ask myself how Malaysia, South Korea were able to fight corruption to b where they are today. Remember this two countries was not near Nigeria both in GDP and NDP.

In terms of Regional govt that u pointed out, my brother if we don't fight can't tribalism now then with that it will b out of hand; because minority tribe in that region will b dominated by d majority and there will b problem.

Power shld b trime down from federal Govt and b given to d states and local government more while the center will have eagle eye over hw d states makes use of d resources.

Well, that will be left for the heterogeneous regions to worry about. However by that time, no baga will have a reason to scream that the Yoruba people or hausa people are their problem.

Every region can develop homegrown techniques for resolving their own peculiar conflicts

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by abu12: 9:51am On Aug 16, 2016
believe it or not, obasanjo is still remain d main reason behind 1 nigeria till today. If obj die 2day nigeria may split,

ipob take note

3 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 10:00am On Aug 16, 2016
Patriotic discussion shukuokokubambi & flying angel.

regionalism is not a bad idea my question is who are those leader Tha will take charge?

Without regionalism Lagos and calabar are not doing bad at all.

Take a more critical look at calabar , they are not part of the 13% derivation no functional seaport but they have committed leaders that want development for their people . So it burns down to leaders every state should take a cue from Cross river.

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 10:02am On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=shukuokukobambi post=48524322]

Well, that will be left for the heterogeneous regions to worry about. However by that time, no baga will have a reason to scream that the Yoruba people or hausa people are their problem.

Every region can develop homegrown techniques for resolving their own peculiar conflicts.

Ok bro
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ManMountain(m): 10:24am On Aug 16, 2016
abu12:
believe it or not, obasanjo is still remain d main reason behind 1 nigeria till today. If obj die 2day nigeria may split,

ipob take note

You want Ipob to go and take down OBJ? cheesy cheesy grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by yeyeboi(m): 10:57am On Aug 16, 2016
This Man Is Part Of The Problem We Still Have Till Today cry

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ikdaddy01(m): 11:01am On Aug 16, 2016
The same way Abacha was being persuaded to become life President Nde?
Mtchewww

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Henrygreat212(m): 11:01am On Aug 16, 2016
Ok Sir....thats good to know that you were persuaded...
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by MadCow1: 11:05am On Aug 16, 2016
Flyingngel:
OBJ tried as a Military President, but coming back as a democratically elected one, he was a disaster.

WRONG!!

All things considered, Obasanjo did just fine as both Military and Civilian leader.

4 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by dermmy(m): 11:08am On Aug 16, 2016
Who asked him Always struggling for relevance

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by no1madman(m): 11:26am On Aug 16, 2016
Shut d hell up and return all d money u stole. . . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by nightmile: 11:32am On Aug 16, 2016
kossyablaze:
Exactly my tots. He was just afraid. Dat man dey cunny

Obj is a wayo man , he was really interested in the position but didn't want people to think he killed Muritala. Why did he finally accept if he was afraid.

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ManMountain(m): 11:39am On Aug 16, 2016
no1madman:
Shut d hell up and return all d money u stole. . . .

Your parents jubilated when you were born, both they will be sad now seeing your username on NL

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by seguno2: 11:43am On Aug 16, 2016
Just as he was also persuaded to take over from Abdusalam in 1999 after he was released from Abacha's gulag by those who killed his fellow Egba man, MKO Abiola.
Why is Obasanjo always dodging to responsibility?
Was that why he wrote the book, Not My Command?

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by obalufeiii: 11:45am On Aug 16, 2016
ManMountain:

He was not timid, he was cautious and he took his time, the same and exact reason the person that organized and crushed that particular rebellion, TY Danjuma (COAS) didn't take over - religion . A gang of Christians murdered the head of state who happened to be a Muslim on a Friday. OBJ should have ordinarily pick TY as the Chief of Staff, but they had to jump over the heads of so many Christians to fetched Sheu Ya'rdua to assuage the feelings of the Muslims.
They all learnt a lesson from the 1966 coup, that people would read meaning into any coup if the successor is connected to the plotters one way or the other.
You very correct. I never viewed the event this way.

3 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by iokpebholo: 11:49am On Aug 16, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

cheesy cheesy

the way you nonentities hiding behind your chinko phones in your 2 by 2 dingy rooms at mazamaza scream cowards is so laughable cheesy

Oya ebubedike, tell us what brave thing have you done since you accidentally appeared in this world? cheesy
hahahahahah eya,u sound so pained. Don't worry will buy u bobo
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Riox: 11:50am On Aug 16, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

cheesy cheesy

the way you nonentities hiding behind your chinko phones in your 2 by 2 dingy rooms at mazamaza scream cowards is so laughable cheesy

Oya ebubedike, tell us what brave thing have you done since you accidentally appeared in this world? cheesy
na mouth all of dem get lol@ chinko phone

5 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by seguno2: 11:51am On Aug 16, 2016
Flyingngel:
OBJ tried as a Military President, but coming back as a democratically elected one, he was a disaster.

Please how did he try as a military dictator?
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Authentic2000: 11:53am On Aug 16, 2016
OBJ looks handsome in his youthful age. Anyway those calling him an opportunist should remember that opportunity comes only to the minds that are prepared.

2 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Goodinfo: 11:55am On Aug 16, 2016
If Nigerians had not stop your third term agenda by now you will also be telling us that you were persuaded to go for third term.
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by AreaFada2: 12:13pm On Aug 16, 2016
KnowAll:
Yardual was a Brigadier then while most d other officers like OBJ were Lt General. It is extraordinary for a[b] Brigadier[/b] to become d no 2 man but then precautions had to be taken.

He was double promoted from Lt. Col to Brigadier. Danjuma & some others were senior to Shehu then.

Remember even if you have two Lt. Colonels, one could be senior if he was made Lt Col first.

While assuaging Northern angst, it also ruined military ethos of seniority. That a junior could be put ahead to suit Northern/religious interest.
It was a downward spiral from there.

A Christian, J. T. Useni who was senior in military but junior in army politics was overlooked & Abdusalam made head of state.

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by orisa37: 12:15pm On Aug 16, 2016
Well done.
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by shukuokukobambi: 12:35pm On Aug 16, 2016
iokpebholo:
hahahahahah eya,u sound so pained. Don't worry will buy u bobo

You see why una matter dey tire me? angry

Come and show bravery now, you don dey speak in tongues. Don't buy me bobo when you can add it to your fanyogo business cheesy

3 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by juman(m): 12:45pm On Aug 16, 2016
Hiss

Useless old man.
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 1:02pm On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=seguno2 post=48527853]

He steer d economy into a right part after d coup and also handed over to a democratically elected president.

1 Like

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
seguno2:

He was d only military leader at dt time to conduct elections & hand power bk to a civilian government. It was decades later abdusalami did d same.

3 Likes

Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 1:06pm On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=MadCow1 post=48526588]

WRONG!!

All things considered, Obasanjo did just fine as both Military and Civilian leader.

Tell me, is it d resuscitation of Alscon in ikot Abasi or that of our steel companies in kogi and Delta steel company. Let me not talk abt refineries and our then comatose NEPA which he sunk it billion of dollars. Shld we talk abt our federal road network at that time.
Re: 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo by ManMountain(m): 1:07pm On Aug 16, 2016
obalufeiii:

You very correct. I never viewed the event this way.

Bros, there are tons of pages of history book on Nigeria, we just need to read and see from various sources what transpired in those early days in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Begins Shortlisting Candidates For 500,000 Jobs – Lai Mohammed / Why We Haven't Disciplined Anyone Over Maina's Recall - Oyo-ita Reveals / Motion Seeking Appointment Of Igbo As Service Chief Suffers Setback In Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.