Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,864 members, 7,824,592 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do (7638 Views)

Nigerian Men On Twitter Share Hilarious Spiteful Things Women Did To Them / 12 Things Girls Talk About When Guys Aren’t Around / Unbelievable Sex Stories From Married Women In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by RealJaneDoe: 12:25pm On Aug 18, 2016
12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do

12. Open a bank account without her husband's permissionLuckily, things in Saudi Arabia now are slowly starting to modernise, and "womenare highly educated and qualified", says Rothna Begum from Human Right Watch, “They don’t want to be left in the dark.”

11. Working in a lingerie shop Though some stores have recently begun hiring female employees, the majority are still staffed by men.

10. Buying a Barbie

9. Reading an uncensored fashion magazine

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by RealJaneDoe: 12:29pm On Aug 18, 2016
8. Entering a cemetery

7. Try on clothes when shopping
Maureen Dowd, a Vanity Fair writer, once said in "A Girl's Guide to Saudi Arabia":"The mere thought of a disrobed woman behind a dressing-room door is apparently too much for men to handle."

6. Compete freely in sports
Earlier this year, Saudi Arabia proposed hosting an Olympic Games without women because in their belief women cannot compete in sports. When Saudi female athletes attended the London games for the first time, hard-line clerics denounced them as "prostitutes". Meanwhile, they had to be accompanied by a male guardian and wear a "Sharia-compliant" sports kit covering their hair.

5. Go for a swim
A Reuters correspondent once tried to use the gym and pool at an upmarket Riyadh hotel. And she such described her experience: "As a woman, I wasn't even allowed to look at them ('there are men in swimsuits there,' a hotel staffer told me with horror) - let alone use them."

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Bondesniger(m): 12:30pm On Aug 18, 2016
too bad
they just join politics and sports not long

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by RealJaneDoe: 12:35pm On Aug 18, 2016
4. Interact with men
Saudi women are restricted in the amountof time spent with men they are unrelated to. The majority of the public buildings including offices, banks, universities and most of the public transportation, parks and beaches are segregated for men and women. Unlawful mixing will lead to criminal charges against both parties, but women typically face harsher punishment.

3. Wear clothes or makeup that "show off their beauty"
Strictly governed by the Islamic law, the majority of Saudi women were forced to wear an abaya – a long black cloak – and a black head scarf. If they failed to cover the face, they would probably be harassedfor exposing too much flesh or wearing too much makeup, though the face does not necessarily need to be covered. The Shoura Council, king's advisory body, ruled that women should wear "modest" clothes that do not "show off their beauty."

2. Drive a car
Though there's no official law banning women from driving, the deeply held religious beliefs prohibit it, arguing femaledrivers "undermine social values." In 2011,a group of Saudi women launched the"Women2Drive" campaign, encouraging women to drive a car, but they are only allowed to drive their children to school ora family member to the hospital

1. Go anywhere without a male chaperone

Rooted in the thought "giving movement freedom to women would make them vulnerable to sins", women's all errands, including shopping trips and visits to the doctor, need to be accompanied by a male guardian, often relative. There's one extreme case that a teenage girl who had been gang-raped was given harsher punishment than the rapists because she was not with a chaperone when it occurred.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by sorextee(m): 12:35pm On Aug 18, 2016
Heard they are not allowed to drive sef.
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by SurefireAsoOke: 12:45pm On Aug 18, 2016
Really......

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Flexherbal(m): 1:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
Ok.
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by IamLEGEND1: 1:31pm On Aug 18, 2016
And some idíots for Naija go dey form women rights advocate. See the kyn places you suppose go misyarn.

6 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Fidelismaria: 1:53pm On Aug 18, 2016
Sick religion
I rather b a Buddhist dan b a Muslim

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
Thank God I'm not in that country

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Ranchhoddas: 3:47pm On Aug 18, 2016
Fidelismaria:
Sick religion

I am sure you think your religion is superior to these two.
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Certifiedbillio(m): 4:29pm On Aug 18, 2016
Fidelismaria:
Sick religion

its their culture not religion wakeup biko

4 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by missvera(f): 4:45pm On Aug 18, 2016
How do they recognise eachother when they are always covered

11 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Fidelismaria: 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2016
Certifiedbillio:

Yea I know

Dere culture is dere religion

Either way I still dont lyk it

3 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by marchzoner(m): 5:16pm On Aug 18, 2016
Fidelismaria:
Sick religion

And so...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Richy4(m): 5:58pm On Aug 18, 2016
One of the ladies competed in Rio. though she came last in 100m with hijab...

5 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Sirmuel1(m): 7:08pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nonsense!
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by emmyclassic(m): 9:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
They should have killed their women once they r born.. Better this way

5 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 18, 2016
Hardcore evidence shows Muhammad was a Pedophile and Bloodthirsty Lunatic...Nothing really surprising here if you ask me....

4 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Omonigeriarere: 9:36pm On Aug 18, 2016
This reminds me of a man who has a pudah concubine: he will dress like a woman (in pudah attire) and gists with his concubine even in the presence of her husband till the husband moves out so that they can easily have sexual intercourse.

Whether by information or by observation, nobody knows. The day which yawa con gas, the husband hits the man in question (fake pudah) with pestle thinking he will wait. Unfortunately the man didn't wait.

That was the last day I saw bro Sule last in my grandpa village when I was young: the man took a French leave up till date without any traces

NB: Alhaja, the greatest pudah of our time caught inside Akogun hall with textbook in 2007 (BAM Student), you are remembered today too.

4 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Abbeylincson(m): 12:40am On Aug 19, 2016
lilyqueen:
Thank God I'm not in that country
u are everywhere are u mtn
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by snezBaba: 3:34am On Aug 19, 2016
It's their culture and I don't see how people still carry their matter for head like pure water.There are many restrictions in China too.all countries have their restrictions.Your opinion doesn't matter

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by snezBaba: 3:35am On Aug 19, 2016
Fidelismaria:
Sick religion

If you are a Christian I shake my head for you
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Ukeachu1(m): 7:37am On Aug 19, 2016
missvera:
How do they recognise eachother when they are always covered

this is the ultimate question . please does anyone have an answer to this. cos its really confusing.
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by parisbookaddict(f): 7:41am On Aug 19, 2016
snezBaba:
It's their culture and I don't see how people still carry their matter for head like pure water.There are many restrictions in China too.all countries have their restrictions.Your opinion doesn't matter

Women face similar restrictions and dehumanizing laws in many other Islamic countries.. muslim women are free and cheap thats why a muslim man can have 4...and beat them as punishment.
if u have ever read the quran you will see why saudis back these backward behavior with quran passages..

its not a cultural thing..its ISLaM

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 19, 2016
Certifiedbillio:

No you wake up. What's culture without religion? It's like you saying Christians are the ones practicing sharia law. Whatever you see about that pics is 100% religion + 100% culture.

You don't know Islam let alone culture, don't speak of what you don't even have an idea of.

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Certifiedbillio(m): 8:40am On Aug 19, 2016
gimakon:

No you wake up. What's culture without religion? It's like you saying Christians are the ones practicing sharia law. Whatever you see about that pics is 100% religion + 100% culture.

You don't know Islam let alone culture, don't speak of what you don't even have an idea of.
so, tell me islam, tell me a Nigerian Muslim women will be in Saudi and follow all that?? Plus as far as I know you not a Muslim , now start telling me my religion

2 Likes

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by adegeye38(m): 8:43am On Aug 19, 2016
gimakon:

Mind you culture and religion arnt the same, the restrictions are purely religion and have nothing to d with culture, It was religion that brought d restrictions not culture
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 19, 2016
Certifiedbillio:
so, tell me islam, tell me a Nigerian Muslim women will be in Saudi and follow all that?? Plus as far as I know you not a Muslim , now start telling me my religion

shocked Holy Molly!

You wouldn't follow the laws of your religion when you not an apostate? Have you ever asked the penalty of being a kaffir in Islam?

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Certifiedbillio(m): 8:46am On Aug 19, 2016
gimakon:

shocked Holy Molly!

You wouldn't follow the laws of your religion when you not an apostate? Have you ever asked the penalty of being a kaffir in Islam?
. I haven't pls tell me
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by eitsei(m): 8:58am On Aug 19, 2016
I don't know why is it that everytime they want to portray women from Saudi Arabia, they only show them as if it's everyone of them that's using veil to cover their face
Re: 12 Things Women In Saudi Arabia Cannot Do by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 19, 2016
adegeye38:

Mind you culture and religion arnt the same, the restrictions are purely religion and have nothing to d with culture, It was religion that brought d restrictions not culture

Stop ranting. Listen to what I said There isn't culture without religion, there should be a form of understanding that you went to a high school and university, English language shouldn't be hard for you.
Whatever you see there is backed by their Quran or you face the laws of the land. For instance the hijab, Niqab and the other things you come across is officially backed, packed and parcelled by the Quran itself.

Read here
Quran (24:31) - "And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known." The woman is not only supposed to cover herself, except with relatives, but to look down, so as to avoid making eye-contact with men.
And let's see the other parts that don't allow the women to have freedom

Quran (4:3) - (Wife-to-husband ratio) "Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four"

See this
Quran (2:228) - "and the men are a degree above them [women]"

And you have the guts to say, it's culture and not religion, where is your sense of decorum?
That's why I said don't say what the fùck you don't know. I'm not here to argue with you. I'm not muslim mind you.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will I Ever Get To This Stage In Life (photos Added) / Body Positivity Activist, Chioma Puts Her Banging Body On Display / How A Girl With Yeast Infection Deliberately Let A Man Give Her MouthAction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.