Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Ask An European Atheist - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ask An European Atheist (4368 Views)

3 Things That You Can Say To Or Ask An Atheist? What Things Could You To Add. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Atheist Dies And Goes To Hell, Then Heaven, Meets God And Shares Testimony. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 10:33pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

Both of the statements is conditional on the context. Hate is a strong word. Dislike is more likely. If they where to preach to me, I would, likely, simply ignore them. It's Not something which happens in the society I live in, so I am not sure how I would react. Last time I had religious people trying to proselytize must have been, well, about 25 years ago or so, I think it was mormons actually. A rare breed indeed here in Scandinavia. We had a nice discussion and I actually read their book (well, it was, how should I put it, an experience). I read the bible and the quo-ran as well back then. They where on equal footing with one another when it comes to literary quality and quality of the contents.

Where exactly in Scandinavia do you reside?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

Both of the statements is conditional on the context. Hate is a strong word. Dislike is more likely. If they where to preach to me, I would, likely, simply ignore them. It's Not something which happens in the society I live in, so I am not sure how I would react. Last time I had religious people trying to proselytize must have been, well, about 25 years ago or so, I think it was mormons actually. A rare breed indeed here in Scandinavia. We had a nice discussion and I actually read their book (well, it was, how should I put it, an experience). I read the bible and the quo-ran as well back then. They where on equal footing with one another when it comes to literary quality and quality of the contents.

How about your traditional religion?? How do you feel when People advocate such beliefs to you
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 5:56am On Aug 21, 2016
Nigga you Nigerian, I put it to you. Scandinavia is not a country, and neither is Africa. What are you hiding?
JFAH:

Scandinavia.

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:59am On Aug 21, 2016
SirWere:

How about your traditional religion?? How do you feel when People advocate such beliefs to you
When traveling outside of Europe (i work fairly internationally) the situation changes. There it seems that there are regions where things like religion is important. Hence my interest of the subject. Different cultures and belief systems are interesting.

I am not sure what you mean by 'traditional religions'. If you take the interpretations of the christian mythology it goes from Russian orthodox to roman catholics all the way to the mormons. Its a very wide field. The islamic mythology is also fairly wide in its interpretation and so is the jewish mythology (which is the ancestor to both christianity and islam).

Really traditional mythologies would be the local deities (in my case old norse asa gods, and whatever you had locally). In common for all the mentioned mythologies is the lack of evidence for them. What I feel for advocation of a specific variant of these belief systems depends on the corollaries of the belief system.

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Truthman83(m): 1:12pm On Aug 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yet another foolish act from the atheists . Just to appear intelligent one claims he is a European as if his affiliation is tantamount to being intelligent grin

He could be truthman83 wink

Thanks sir for the beautiful thread you made about me. Unfortunately I cannot be everywhere at the same time. And Sir,I think you have mistaken me for other Atheists,maybe because we think alike. I have no reason to be dishonest or fool others with multiple accounts. I only felt like sharing my religious and non-religious experiences with like minded people.

I had no clue someone took the truth man account. But when I tried taking it it showed the name was already taken. And because it was a specific name wanted to go by,I chose Truthman83 which is my year of birth. I hope I have clerified my account a bit. I am a man of peace and not here to argue with anyone. Religion/faith is a personal thing. I am only here to mingle with Atheists like myself.Thanks

4 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Truthman83(m): 1:14pm On Aug 22, 2016
JFAH:
Looking around on african site to assess the state of non religious in various african countries I reached the conclusion that there seemed to be many questions and misconception about atheism in general. I stumbled on this site, and for whats its worth, if you want an outsider perspective please feel free to ask and maybe we can have an interesting discussion.

regards

I am a new Atheist and I would love to know if your society is like mine,where it is difficult to let anyone know you do not believe in a god? Thanks
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 4:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
JFAH:

I live in a part of the world where stating 'I am an atheist' is as eventful as proclaiming 'I dont collect stamps!'. I.e. people look at you funnily and wonder why you would indicate such a non issue. However, in my job I deal with various parts of the world where this is not the case so I have taken an interest in how it *really* is in various parts of the world with perhaps not the best of reputations when it comes to religious tolerance. This site poped up every now and then in those searches. After following some of the discussion here I felt that maybe I could contribute something. Lets see how it turns out and if it a learning experience of sorts.
Where is the site already?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 4:32pm On Aug 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

grin Empty brain makes the loudest Noise
Discussion never even start u don insult Winner01 twice.

Cc. Lalasticlala. This guy needs to be put in check. He is in the habit of leaving issues to attack personalities.

Right here, he has defaulted rule No2.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 4:43pm On Aug 22, 2016
JFAH:

In the European Union we have 24 different official languages. English is one of the major ones but by no means the native tongue for even the majority of europeans. In short; minor slip ups will occur.
Guy, ignore these people. Not every European speaks English Language. I have worked with French a man whom I taught English language. When he came to Nigeria, he couldn't speak any English at all. So, just make your point and don't take them seriously.
We are not in English Grammer class.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 4:45pm On Aug 22, 2016
naijadeyhia:

same way minor slip ups in correct English like you just did here would occur right? Isnt it quaint that you actually know how many european languages are found in the european union? You researched your history well i see. grin grin
Bros, Abeg leave the guy nah. At least let's hear him out. He just registered.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 4:49pm On Aug 22, 2016
naijadeyhia:

correction, its "was that directed at me"? not "to me" The Nigerian tongue is heavy on you bro grin grin wink
Pls nah grin
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 5:09pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Where exactly in Scandinavia do you reside?
Make una free this guy nah. Chai
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 5:20pm On Aug 22, 2016
Anas09:

Make una free this guy nah. Chai
We have to be wary. Even the Bible says that we should watch and pray. Are you Analice?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 5:35pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
We have to be wary. Even the Bible says that we should watch and pray. Are you Analice?
Do they sound alike? grin
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 5:51pm On Aug 22, 2016
Anas09:
Do they sound alike? grin
Yes you are.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Yes you are.

Which Oracle revealed that to you?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2016
Anas09:

Which Oracle revealed that to you?
A different person would have answered at once. A person up to some mischief would want to dance around it for a while. You are Analice.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by 4kings: 6:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
A different person would have answered at once. A person up to some mischief would want to dance around it for a while. You are Analice.
You noticed the way he posted, without reading through?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Anas09: 6:34pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
tongue
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 6:35pm On Aug 22, 2016
4kings:

You noticed the way he posted, without reading through?
I don't understand what you are saying.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by 4kings: 6:55pm On Aug 22, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I don't understand what you are saying.
Never mind.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Letter E is vowel na undecided

The pronunciation is consonant. Therefore, it should be a European, not an European. This is not enough reason to say he is not from there sha.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 7:17pm On Aug 22, 2016
Truthman83:

I am a new Atheist and I would love to know if your society is like mine,where it is difficult to let anyone know you do not believe in a god? Thanks
No. Not at all. Technically the country I live in have about 60% that calls themselves and are a member of the lutheran church. About 40% have a vague sort of deism/theism type of faith system (usually on the level ' I think there something out there' type). About 5% actually goes to church. about 0.5% actually believe in what the bible says. In practical term the absolute majority are practical atheist and cultural christians where the church is reduced to ceremonial relevance. We use baptism to welcome a new life to the extended family, we use weddings as a ceremony for entering a new stage of life, and have the burial ceremony carried out by the local church with a minimal amount of supernatural references. In essence the church plays a cultural role and people are happy with that. So no, having no faith here is not hard in any way, actually it would raise eyebrows you actually where an outspoken religious person, it would be taken as a mental illness rather than something positive.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask An European Atheist by cloudgoddess(f): 7:22pm On Aug 22, 2016
Interesting... following.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Truthman83(m): 7:58pm On Aug 22, 2016
JFAH:

No. Not at all. Technically the country I live in have about 60% that calls themselves and are a member of the lutheran church. About 40% have a vague sort of deism/theism type of faith system (usually on the level ' I think there something out there' type). About 5% actually goes to church. about 0.5% actually believe in what the bible says. In practical term the absolute majority is practical atheist and cultural christians where the church is reduced to ceremonial relevance. We use baptism to welcome a new life to the extended family, we use weddings as a ceremony for entering a new stage of life, and have the burial ceremony carried out by the local church with a minimal amount of supernatural references. In essence the church plays a cultural role and people are happy with that. So no, having no faith here is not hard in any way, actually it would raise eyebrows you actually where an outspoken religious person, it would be taken as a mental illness rather than something positive.

It is a much different society to ours over here. Here you are considered insane if you do not believe in the Christian God or the Islamic one. 95% of our population is very religious. I cannot sum up the courage at this moment to declare myself Atheist. killing an Atheist might be considered as demonic cleansing. I live in a society that believe demons are real and a lot of money is made by pastors killing them. My society is also extremely Homosexuality intolerant. It is good to know that someone out there lives in a much civilized society.

3 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 22, 2016
Truthman83:

It is a much different society to ours over here. Here you are considered insane if you do not believe in the Christian God or the Islamic one. 95% of our population is very religious. I cannot sum up the courage at this moment to declare myself Atheist. killing an Atheist might be considered as demonic cleansing. I live in a society that believe demons are real and a lot of money is made by pastors killing them. My society is also extremely Homosexuality intolerant. It is good to know that someone out there lives in a much civilized society.

I am surprised you chipped in homosexuality even when the one responding to you has not yet mentioned any sexual orientation. Makes me begin to wonder about one of the reasons you actually became an atheist... undecided
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 8:18pm On Aug 22, 2016
Truthman83:

Well what I said goes for most of Europe actually So the nordic regions is not alone.I have a hard time to understand this part. And it fascinates me that people can behave in such an immoral and irrational way. Especially as many of these religious cults seems keen on claiming the moral high ground.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by FearGodAndLive: 8:18pm On Aug 22, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I am surprised you chipped in homosexuality even when the one responding to you has not yet mentioned any sexual orientation. Makes me begin to wonder about one of the reasons you actually became an atheist... undecided
Homsexualitu always gets your attention. You should embrace your carnality. wink
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 8:21pm On Aug 22, 2016
naijadeyhia:

No I haven't. I consider sexual preferences to be irrelevant. If a person is homosexual, it is a personal matter not of my concern.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 22, 2016
JFAH:

No I haven't. I consider sexual preferences to be irrelevant. If a person is homosexual, it is a personal matter not of my concern.

My comment was not for you. The person it was meant for knows why I said it to him
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 22, 2016
FearGodAndLive:

Homsexualitu always gets your attention. You should embrace your carnality. wink

My words were directed at another pls. Thank u
Re: Ask An European Atheist by FearGodAndLive: 8:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
naijadeyhia:

My words were directed at another pls. Thank u
Public forum, not Sunday school.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

(Photo)gospel Singer Sinach With Pastor Chris's Cute Daughters Pictured Together / The Order Of Melchizedek / An Appeal To Seun Osewa To Be Silent No More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.