Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,082 members, 7,835,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Ask An European Atheist - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ask An European Atheist (4356 Views)

3 Things That You Can Say To Or Ask An Atheist? What Things Could You To Add. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Atheist Dies And Goes To Hell, Then Heaven, Meets God And Shares Testimony. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Truthman83(m): 8:27pm On Aug 22, 2016
JFAH:

No I haven't. I consider sexual preferences to be irrelevant. If a person is homosexual, it is a personal matter not of my concern.

My reason for pointing Homosexuality is to give some deprived people a voice. As you can see I got attacked immediately I mentioned it.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 22, 2016
FearGodAndLive:

Public forum, not Sunday school.

Public forum = public opinion
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
Truthman83:

My reason for pointing Homosexuality is to give some deprived people a voice. As you can see I got attacked immediately I mentioned it.

Deprived people you say? So homosexuality was the first deprived thing that conveniently popped into your head and seems to be the most weighty on your mind. Thats all I have to say. Enjoy ur chat
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 8:35pm On Aug 22, 2016
Truthman83:

Well I sort of noticed. LBGTQ is not totally unproblematic anywhere in the world, but its fairly well accepted in most of Europe. And it is unlikely you would get a problem in that arena.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by sonofthunder: 9:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
JFAH:

No I haven't. I consider sexual preferences to be irrelevant. If a person is homosexual, it is a personal matter not of my concern.
if a person is a thief, liar, murderer it is a personal matter not your concern fa?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 3:14am On Aug 23, 2016
sonofthunder:

if a person is a thief, liar, murderer it is a personal matter not your concern fa?

Actually, if a person is a thief and a murderer, it is the concern of the state which has laws laid down to deal with such social vices. If a person is a liar, well it's actually a personal matter, so long as the person's lies don't affect me negatively/are not with intent to commit a crim/felony, in which case it is also the concern of the state, not mine.

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 5:17am On Aug 23, 2016
sonofthunder:

In what regard would any of those things have to do with LBGTQ questions, or atheism which happens to be the topic?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 7:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
naijadeyhia:

You defined Atheism but forgot that its broader than just a definition. Atheism is a life gotten from various perspectives but all claiming to arrive at one point... THERE IS NO GOD, supernatural or other gods

I am touching an aspect of what some have used to arrive at the NO GOD position and you say it has nothing to do with Atheism?

What you should have said is that you became an atheist from a different path which brings me to my next question,

Why and how did you become an Atheist?

Lets start from there and then i can ask you specific questions you can answer.
No. I didn't forgot anything. The definition is not broader than I said. Various people which where brought up in religious settings have arrived at atheism in various ways, thats is true, but there is quite a few people that never where theists to begin with. I have essentially never in any way, shape or form been religious, and have never been in religious settings. So I didn't really arrive at being an atheist. I always was. Religion is a cultural thing. The best predictor for what religion you happen to get is what society you are growing up in. If you happen to grow up in primarily muslim country you very likely end up being muslim. If you're living in a christian country, you will likely end up christian, the same for hindu or Buddhist or any other religion which happens to dominate your living quarters. Sure, its not true for every single individual, but on average the correlation is obvious.

What I mean when I say that science in itself have no actual bearing on the belief in super natural entities is that science in itself don't have the goal, nor the capacity, to disprove or prove a super natural entity. Sure it doesn't help the christian faith, all in all, that we can reduce genesis to nothing for instance, nor does it help that we can trace the mythology all the way back through Egyptian cultures to the Sumerian times. Nor does it help that we have a fair grasp of the expansion of the universe back to a Planck length after big bang. But technically it could exist super natural beings hidden somewhere in the gaps of knowledge that we have. No, the real clincher is the absence of evidence for a supernatural entity at all. After all; if it is suggested that such an entity exists, i would expect solid evidence for it, but no such things are found, I therefore default to not accepting the proposition of a supernatural being.

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Godwin2016: 8:56pm On Aug 23, 2016
JFAH:

No. I didn't forgot anything. The definition is not broader than I said. Various people which where brought up in religious settings have arrived at atheism in various ways, thats is true, but there is quite a few people that never where theists to begin with. I have essentially never in any way, shape or form been religious, and have never been in religious settings. So I didn't really arrive at being an atheist. I always was. Religion is a cultural thing. The best predictor for what religion you happen to get is what society you are growing up in. If you happen to grow up in primarily muslim country you very likely end up being muslim. If you're living in a christian country, you will likely end up christian, the same for hindu or Buddhist or any other religion which happens to dominate your living quarters. Sure, its not true for every single individual, but on average the correlation is obvious.

What I mean when I say that science in itself have no actual bearing on the belief in super natural entities is that science in itself don't have the goal, nor the capacity, to disprove or prove a super natural entity. Sure it doesn't help the christian faith, all in all, that we can reduce genesis to nothing for instance, nor does it help that we can trace the mythology all the way back through Egyptian cultures to the Sumerian times. Nor does it help that we have a fair grasp of the expansion of the universe back to a Planck length after big bang. But technically it could exist super natural beings hidden somewhere in the gaps of knowledge that we have. No, the real clincher is the absence of evidence for a supernatural entity at all. After all; if it is suggested that such an entity exists, i would expect solid evidence for it, but no such things are found, I therefore default to not accepting the proposition of a supernatural being.

Young man fear God! That is the best advice I could give to you. Do not deny He who created you. Stop being ungrateful as you are on your way to hell. Be warned before it becomes too late.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by FearGodAndLive: 8:58pm On Aug 23, 2016
Godwin2016:

Young man fear God! That is the best advice I could give to you. Do not deny He who created you. Stop being ungrateful as you are on your way to hell. Be warned before it becomes too late.
Take your archaic reasoning back to Sunday school. That's where it's needed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Godwin2016: 9:01pm On Aug 23, 2016
FearGodAndLive:

Take your archaic reasoning back to Sunday school. That's where it's needed.

On the last day you will tell God that. You think you are enjoying life now? Repent before it becomes too late

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by FearGodAndLive: 9:05pm On Aug 23, 2016
Godwin2016:

On the last day you will tell God that.
undecided who cares for heaven?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Deicide: 9:15pm On Aug 23, 2016
Godwin2016:

A little kid that studied biology in jr class knows that he wasn't created but he was born by some process known as Reproduction what is wrong with education in this country?

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:18am On Aug 24, 2016
Godwin2016:

Young, that was some time ago, but thanks! What deity should I fear, on what grounds? To what deity should I be grateful for what?

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Godwin2016: 6:57am On Aug 24, 2016
JFAH:

Young, that was some time ago, but thanks! What deity should I fear, on what grounds? To what deity should I be grateful for what?

There is only one God. You have to worship him all the time.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2016
Godwin2016:

There is only one God. You have to worship him all the time.
Which one, and Why?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by sonofthunder: 6:55am On Aug 26, 2016
JFAH:

In what regard would any of those things have to do with LBGTQ questions, or atheism which happens to be the topic?
so you did read the comment I quote and was responding to?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by sonofthunder: 7:00am On Aug 26, 2016
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

Actually, if a person is a thief and a murderer, it is the concern of the state which has laws laid down to deal with such social vices. If a person is a liar, well it's actually a personal matter, so long as the person's lies don't affect me negatively/are not with intent to commit a crim/felony, in which case it is also the concern of the state, not mine.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
sonofthunder:

so you did read the comment I quote and was responding to?
Yes? And?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ? / If God Refuses To Answer Your Prayers And You Consult Herbalist, Is It A Sin? / Why Is Africa The Most Religious Continent Yet The Most Undeveloped???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.