Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

Ask An European Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ask An European Atheist (4319 Views)

3 Things That You Can Say To Or Ask An Atheist? What Things Could You To Add. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Atheist Dies And Goes To Hell, Then Heaven, Meets God And Shares Testimony. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 5:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
Looking around on african site to assess the state of non religious in various african countries I reached the conclusion that there seemed to be many questions and misconception about atheism in general. I stumbled on this site, and for whats its worth, if you want an outsider perspective please feel free to ask and maybe we can have an interesting discussion.

regards
Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 5:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
grin There is this two Ediots Called kingebukasblog and winner01 maybe U could educate them

11 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 5:59pm On Aug 20, 2016
Oh and again how did U come across the site??
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:
Looking around on african site to assess the state of non religious in various african countries I reached the conclusion that there seemed to be many questions and misconception about atheism in general. I stumbled on this site, and for whats its worth, if you want an outsider perspective please feel free to ask and maybe we can have an interesting discussion.

regards

Sadly, I don't believe you're European. I'm an atheist alright but this thread is a little too fishy.

6 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

regards

I suggest you correct the misconceptions within your fellow Atheists then come with one voice then we can discuss. FYI i doubt your european affiliation.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask An European Atheist by winner01(m): 6:18pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

regards
I think you should call your fellow atheists together and clear the misconceptions among y'all starting from the very definition of atheism. We get to see stuffs like sanity, rationality, logic, science etc. That'll do. wink

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:20pm On Aug 20, 2016
EyeHateGod:
Oh and again how did U come across the site??

I live in a part of the world where stating 'I am an atheist' is as eventful as proclaiming 'I dont collect stamps!'. I.e. people look at you funnily and wonder why you would indicate such a non issue. However, in my job I deal with various parts of the world where this is not the case so I have taken an interest in how it *really* is in various parts of the world with perhaps not the best of reputations when it comes to religious tolerance. This site poped up every now and then in those searches. After following some of the discussion here I felt that maybe I could contribute something. Lets see how it turns out and if it a learning experience of sorts.

2 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 6:21pm On Aug 20, 2016
Why do I feel like this is another prank?

4 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:
I think you should call your fellow atheists together and clear the misconceptions among y'all starting from the very definition of atheism. We get to see stuffs like sanity, rationality, logic, science etc. That'll do. wink

like minds think alike.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

I live in a part of the world where stating 'I am an atheist' is as eventful as proclaiming 'I dont collect stamps!'. I.e. people look at you funnily and wonder why you would indicate such a non issue. However, in my job I deal with various parts of the world where this is not the case so I have taken an interest in how it *really* is in various parts of the world with perhaps not the best of reputations when it comes to religious tolerance. This site poped up every now and then in those searches. After following some of the discussion here I felt that maybe I could contribute something. Lets see how it turns out and if it a learning experience of sorts.

where in europe are you? At least being in europe, anonymity shouldnt be your focus. So where in europe are you?

2 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 6:25pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

Well welcome

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:27pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I suggest you correct the misconceptions within your fellow Atheists then come with one voice then we can discuss. FYI i doubt your european affiliation.

This is one of the common misconceptions; atheism is the position on the validity of available evidence for the proposed deity based hypothesis. The default position to take in absence of actual evidence is to not accept the proposition as true. In short it is the stance of a single question. It does not tell you anything else apart from the stance on this single issue. It doesn't tell you whether the person stating he/she is an atheist is an neo nazists, or marxists leninist or anything in between. Ergo; no, you will not find a coherence based on the negative stance on the existence of supernatural entities.

And by the way, yes; I am european, northern part to be exact.

2 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 6:29pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

grin of course Na 9ja mentality the other day anas01 day shout Rape angry
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

This is one of the common misconceptions; atheism is the position on the validity of available evidence for the proposed deity based hypothesis. The default position to take in absence of actual evidence is to not accept the proposition as true. In short it is the stance of a single question. It does not tell you anything else apart from the stance on this single issue. It doesn't tell you whether the person stating he/she is an atheist is an neo nazists, or marxists leninist or anything in between. Ergo; no, you will not find a coherence based on the negative stance on the existence of supernatural entities.

I did not ask for general location. I asked for specific location
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:30pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

where in europe are you? At least being in europe, anonymity shouldnt be your focus. So where in europe are you?

Scandinavia.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 6:31pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

oh U not from the southern sides where Religion is rampant luck you
Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 6:31pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

oh U not from the southern sides where Religion is rampant lucky you
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 20, 2016
Joshuabase:

Sadly, I don't believe you're European. I'm an atheist alright but this thread is a little too fishy.
Lol same. If he were European he'd know that its 'Ask A European' and not 'Ask An European' . . . after all, its their general language grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by winner01(m): 6:33pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

like minds think alike.
Yeah, mi bro"
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

with what you just posted above it is proper that you first of all gather your fellow atheists here on this forum and correct their misconceptions first because many of them disagree with your post.

So till you do, i will view this as another desperate stance by atheists here on NL to appear relevant. We have had too many coincidences in the past few days grin grin wink wink
Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 6:34pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Lol same. If he were European he'd know that its 'Ask A European' and not 'Ask An European' . . . after all, its their general language grin grin
Letter E is vowel na undecided
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:34pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Why do I feel like this is another prank?

Sorry if you would feel that way. I am just interested in this subject, thats all. Best wishes.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by winner01(m): 6:36pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

No be atheist like you? grin
Is lying no longer permitted in atheism? grin

I thought the universe didn't give a damn about what accidental bags of cells do or don't do undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask An European Atheist by EyeHateGod: 6:36pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

with what you just posted above it is proper that you first of all gather your fellow atheists here on this forum and correct their misconceptions first because many of them disagree with your post.

So till you do, i will view this as another desperate stance by atheists here on NL to appear relevant. We have had too many coincidences in the past few days grin grin wink wink
All atheist understand that Atheism is A Stance grin They shouldn't even be a Word for it
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 20, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Letter E is vowel na undecided
Lol, its based on pronunciation and not spelling. 'European' is pronounced 'Youropean'.
'A unanimous vote'
'A usual suspect'
'A united country'
Catch the drift? grin

5 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Lol, its based on pronunciation and not spelling. 'European' is pronounced 'Youropean'.
'A unanimous vote'
'A usual suspect'
'A united country'
Catch the drift? grin

He is supposed to be an "intelligent" european... grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:

Is lying no longer permitted in atheism? grin

I've told you already but you refuse to learn so I don't like engaging you.
How can you ask if something is permitted in atheism.
Is atheism a religion? grin
Nawa o
Atheism is just rejection of religion. Simple. Different atheists have different conceptions of morality. Take different sides on different scientific hypotheses. Some don't even care. Atheism just means we don't believe things like god sacrificing himself to himself to save humanity from himself.

3 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:40pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

In the European Union we have 24 different official languages. English is one of the major ones but by no means the native tongue for even the majority of europeans. In short; minor slip ups will occur.

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

In the European Union we have 24 different official languages. English is one of the major ones but by no means the native tongue for even the majority of europeans. In short; minor slip ups will occur.

same way minor slip ups in correct English like you just did here would occur right? Isnt it quaint that you actually know how many european languages are found in the european union? You researched your history well i see. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

Ok sir. grin Go on.

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:45pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

I've told you already but you refuse to learn so I don't like engaging you.
How can you ask if something is permitted in atheism.
Is atheism a religion? grin
Nawa o
Atheism is just rejection of religion. Simple. Different atheists have different conceptions of morality. Take different sides on different scientific hypotheses. Some don't even care. Atheism just means we don't believe things like god sacrificing himself to himself to save humanity from himself.

If I may add a little to your explanation (which largely is correct); atheism is somewhat broader than just the christian variety. It includes the rejection of the supernatural in general. So the rejection would include allah, vishnu and all other known gods.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

About The Mentor Of Pastor Kumuyi, And Pa Akindayomi Of RCCG / The End-Time Chruches With Non-Apostolic Practices / UK Churches Lose 4 Million Worshippers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.