Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,184 members, 7,835,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Ask An European Atheist - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ask An European Atheist (4362 Views)

3 Things That You Can Say To Or Ask An Atheist? What Things Could You To Add. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Atheist Dies And Goes To Hell, Then Heaven, Meets God And Shares Testimony. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask An European Atheist by TrajansKong: 6:51pm On Aug 20, 2016
Joshuabase:

Sadly, I don't believe you're European. I'm an atheist alright but this thread is a little too fishy.

Another unbeliever here. For an English speaking Oyinbo your phrasing, tenses, noun-verb pairings and vocabulary speak most strongly of Naija!!
Re: Ask An European Atheist by TrajansKong: 6:53pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:
And by the way, yes; I am european, northern part to be exact.

Spoken like a true Nigerian! grin

3 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 6:55pm On Aug 20, 2016
TrajansKong:

Another unbeliever here. For an English speaking Oyinbo your phrasing, tenses, noun-verb pairings and vocabulary speak most strongly of Naija!!

I am sorry, was that directed to me? Being Scandinavian english is my *secondary* language. Not primary. And there's a difference.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

I am sorry, was that directed to me? Being Scandinavian english is my *secondary* language. Not primary. And there's a difference.

correction, its "was that directed at me"? not "to me" The Nigerian tongue is heavy on you bro grin grin wink

4 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:57pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Why do I feel like this is another prank?

Yet another foolish act from the atheists . Just to appear intelligent one claims he is a European as if his affiliation is tantamount to being intelligent grin

He could be truthman83 wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Yet another foolish act from the atheists . Just to appear intelligent one claims he is a European as if his affiliation is tantamount to being intelligent grin

That truthman83 moniker eh. Final destination with that moniker would be the archives. lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask An European Atheist by 4kings: 6:59pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

This is one of the common misconceptions; atheism is the position on the validity of available evidence for the proposed deity based hypothesis. The default position to take in absence of actual evidence is to not accept the proposition as true. In short it is the stance of a single question. It does not tell you anything else apart from the stance on this single issue. It doesn't tell you whether the person stating he/she is an atheist is an neo nazists, or marxists leninist or anything in between. Ergo; no, you will not find a coherence based on the negative stance on the existence of supernatural entities.
*Stance of a question concerning proposed deities*

So what's your stance on the existence of an 'intelligent designer'?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 7:01pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

correction, its "was that directed at me"? not "to me" The Nigerian tongue is heavy on you bro grin grin wink

To the best of my knowledge both forms are valid. But sure, I could be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

Let me indulge you and ask you just 2 questions first in accordance with your definition of Atheism;

1. Does the universe have a beginning that requires a cause? If so, what was this cause?

2. Is materialistic determinism compatible with the intrinsically probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics?

Lets start from there.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by TrajansKong: 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Or he juuuuust might be telling the truth...hmmmmmm

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 7:03pm On Aug 20, 2016
4kings:

*Stance of a question concerning proposed deities*

So what's your stance on the existence of an 'intelligent designer'?

If you read my text, you have my stance on that particular subject, at least if its a question of a supernatural one.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 7:10pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Let me indulge you and ask you just 2 questions first in accordance with your definition of Atheism;

1. Does the universe have a beginning that requires a cause? If so, what was this cause?

2. Is materialistic determinism compatible with the intrinsically probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics?

Lets start from there.
1. Current data sugest a start point for _our_ universe. What started it, and whether the question of a cause is even valid, is currently unknown.
2. Short answer; Yes.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

1. Current data sugest a start point for _our_ universe. What started it, and whether the question of a cause is even valid, is currently unknown.
2. Short answer; Yes.

Currently unknown or YOU DO NOT KNOW. (clarification is needed because many atheists here come out straight and say THEY KNOW the cause and point to SCIENCE)

You answered Yes to the other question. I need the long answer and not the short one.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH where did you run off to? Are you researching? You already gave answers so research is out of it now. Come back lets discuss. grin grin
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 20, 2016
winner01:

I thought the universe didn't give a damn about what accidental bags of cells do or don't do undecided

I read the bolded, laughed hard till I fell off my chair.
This dude's sense of humor sha
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

. This alone proves he's nigerian.

I have absolute certainty he's a Nigerian. I knew something didn't seem right. I bet jfah didn't think his "European" account would have a short Life span before he is uncovered.

2 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 20, 2016
TrajansKong:

Or he juuuuust might be telling the truth...hmmmmmm
Highly unlikely
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:46pm On Aug 20, 2016
Honestly I don't condone lying, I find it a very huge character flaw. I personally can't tolerate liars, don't know why I'm like that but lying to me is irritating.

Why do people lie? I just can't understand, my brain can't compute the reason. I'm not saying I haven't ever in my life told a lie,that would be a lie. It's just these days I don't see a reason to lie anymore seeing as the truth will always come out.

2 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 7:51pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Currently unknown or YOU DO NOT KNOW. (clarification is needed because many atheists here come out straight and say THEY KNOW the cause and point to SCIENCE)

You answered Yes to the other question. I need the long answer and not the short one.

Well if they know they can give the guys at cern a call. We have hypothesis in that regard,and viable pathways forward to investigate. BUt we cant say we know.

But regardless; neither of the questions have anything to do with atheism. Me knowing or not knowing how the universe came to be, or whether or not quantum mechanics is compatible with newtonian mechanics, or whether or not I am proficient in the area of physics (spoiler alert; I am not a physicist, i deal in software) is totally irrelevant to the premise. So sorry, we can have that discussion (within limits), and it would be very interesting, but it has nothing to do with atheism.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2016
Joshuabase:
Honestly I don't condone lying, I find it a very huge character flaw. I personally can't tolerate liars, don't know why I'm like that but lying to me is irritating.

Why do people lie? I just can't understand, my brain can't compute the reason. I'm not saying I haven't ever in my life told a lie,that would be a lie. It's just these days I don't see a reason to lie anymore seeing as the truth will always come out.

This thread stands as another evidence of the desperation of Atheists here on Nairaland. lmao

Atheism is synonymous with lies and deception!

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

Well if they know they can give the guys at cern a call. We have hypothesis in that regard,and viable pathways forward to investigate. BUt we cant say we know.

But regardless; neither of the questions have anything to do with atheism. Me knowing or not knowing how the universe came to be, or whether or not quantum mechanics is compatible with newtonian mechanics, or whether or not I am proficient in the area of physics (spoiler alert; I am not a physicist, i deal in software) is totally irrelevant to the premise. So sorry, we can have that discussion (within limits), and it would be very interesting, but it has nothing to do with atheism.

Oh so this route has nothing to do with Atheism? I see grin grin grin

Care to share this eureka moment with your fellow atheists here?
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

This thread stands as another evidence of the desperation of Atheists here on Nairaland. lmao

Atheism is synonymous with lies and deception!

And religion isn't?

Please don't quote me if you're gonna type bigoted nonsense

1 Like

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
Joshuabase:

And religion isn't?

Please don't quote me if you're gonna type bigoted nonsense

Is Religion the one on trial here? I think you are bigoted since you identified the liar as well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Is Religion the one on trial here? I think you are bigoted since you identified the liar as well
I remember saying not to quote me.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 20, 2016
Joshuabase:

I remember saying not to quote me.

Try and do same
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

You defined Atheism but forgot that its broader than just a definition. Atheism is a life gotten from various perspectives but all claiming to arrive at one point... THERE IS NO GOD, supernatural or other gods

I am touching an aspect of what some have used to arrive at the NO GOD position and you say it has nothing to do with Atheism?

What you should have said is that you became an atheist from a different path which brings me to my next question,

Why and how did you become an Atheist?

Lets start from there and then i can ask you specific questions you can answer.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 8:11pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Oh so this route has nothing to do with Atheism? I see grin grin grin

Care to share this eureka moment with your fellow atheists here?

I can not speak for them. And no this route have nothing to do with atheism per see.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

I can not speak for them. And no this route have nothing to do with atheism per see.

Bro u be Naija abeg bone story. I am done with you.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by UyiIredia(m): 8:44pm On Aug 20, 2016
@ JFAH Which part of Scandinavia are u from ? Sweden perhaps.
Re: Ask An European Atheist by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 20, 2016
I already know the Answer to this but I just want to put it out for those who claim Atheism equals a hugely negative trend:

Do you HATE religious people??

Do you get ANGRY when they preach to you??
Re: Ask An European Atheist by ValentineMary(m): 8:55pm On Aug 20, 2016
JFAH:

I live in a part of the world where stating 'I am an atheist' is as eventful as proclaiming 'I dont collect stamps!'. I.e. people look at you funnily and wonder why you would indicate such a non issue. However, in my job I deal with various parts of the world where this is not the case so I have taken an interest in how it *really* is in various parts of the world with perhaps not the best of reputations when it comes to religious tolerance. This site poped up every now and then in those searches. After following some of the discussion here I felt that maybe I could contribute something. Lets see how it turns out and if it a learning experience of sorts.
Nairalanders theist and atheist are causing global commotion. grin

5 Likes

Re: Ask An European Atheist by JFAH: 10:16pm On Aug 20, 2016
SirWere:
I already know the Answer to this but I just want to put it out for those who claim Atheism equals a hugely negative trend:

Do you HATE religious people??

Do you get ANGRY when they preach to you??

Both of the statements is conditional on the context. Hate is a strong word. Dislike is more likely. If they where to preach to me, I would, likely, simply ignore them. It's Not something which happens in the society I live in, so I am not sure how I would react. Last time I had religious people trying to proselytize must have been, well, about 25 years ago or so, I think it was mormons actually. A rare breed indeed here in Scandinavia. We had a nice discussion and I actually read their book (well, it was, how should I put it, an experience). I read the bible and the quo-ran as well back then. They where on equal footing with one another when it comes to literary quality and quality of the contents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The MFM Tactics / Read What Dare Adeboye Tweeted Last Before He Diedthat Has Stirred Up Mixed Reac / Do All Good People Go To Heaven Or Stay On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.