Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,203 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam (6389 Views)

Palm Wine In Islam / Common Reasons For Late Marriage / Cousin Marriage in Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by ShiaMuslim: 11:00pm On Aug 28, 2016
Seun:
I believe that every muslim has unique and personal reasons for believing that Islam is the true religion. Can you share those reasons on this thread, and let's discuss them? This thread is not to insult Islam but to have an enjoyable and educative conversation about why we believe.

Seun, the below are the reasons i am Muslim and also why i am Shia Muslim:

1.) The Quran: teaching us about the Almighty Creator and revealing Him to us, its language, miracles, prophecies, knowledge of the unseen, science, eloquence, healing, and the fact that it was delivered through a man who was unlearned.

2.) The Holy Prophet Muhammad (s) : his moral teachings, his sublime character, his mercy, justice, firmness, fairness, personal life, and everything he stood for.

3.) The chosen members of the Ahlul-Bayt (as), particularly the 12 holy Imams (as) : their teachings, their wisdom which exemplified divine lessons and prophetic knowledge inherited from their grandfather the Prophet Muhammad (s), the uniformity in their teachings that they did not contradict one another in a period of about 300 years and they did not contradict the Holy Quran, and they never contradict the teachings of the Holy Prophet (s), their succession and the predictions, miracles and healing they performed even up to our day miracles are experienced by those who visit the site of their burial or places associated with them.

4.) Imam Hussain (as) and the Tragedy of Karbala : undoubtedly Imam Hussain (as) is among the Prophet's Ahlul-Bayt (as) and he is the third of the Twelve Holy Imams (as). without Imam Hussain, whom Allah (swt) used to preserve Islam, there would have been no Islam today. as popularly said, Islam is Muhammedan in its presence and Hussaini in its preservation. the sacrifice of Imam Hussain (as) and his ability to resist tyranny and oppression is among the most impressive in the history of humanity that the famous Mahatma Gandhi declared: Hussain taught me how to be oppressed and still achieve victory. the sacrifice of Imam Hussain (as) is the victory of blood over the sword. it is something to marvel at; a story of how someone and all his family members and companions and followers can be killed in the most brutal way and suffered momentary defeat, yet, he attained immortal victory. today, Imam Hussain (as) is immoral through the preservation of his memory/legacy and sacrifice by his followers generation after generation. the story of Imam Hussain (as) is not only about spirituality, religion, morals, and revelations and prophecies. it is one of LOVE! it is an attachment to the soul of a spiritual father. he espouses the moral teachings of his grandfather the holy Prophet Muhammad (s). if anyone doubts the prophethood of Muhammad (s), look no further to verify its truthfulness than the character and teachings displayed by Imam Ali (as) and his son, Imam Hussain (as), and in fact the rest of the Twelve Holy Imams (as). when you identify their character, wisdom, teachings and morality, you are left with no doubt that they are the inheritors of divine knowledge and wisdom of Muhammad (s) and purity and that indeed Muhammad (s) is the messenger of the Almighty Creator. if there was no Quran, and nothing at all to convince me about Islam, Imam Hussain (as) is enough reason for me to be proud to be called Muslim.

5.) Islam gives meaning to my existence and hope: with the teachings of Islam, i am certain i was not created in vain. Islam and the teachings of the Quran gives me hope for reward and meaning to my life both here and in the hereafter. I know i was not created in vain or in futility like science wants us to believe that we exist by mistake or by chance. the Quran brings to my awareness and increases my spiritual consciousness that i was from nothing and i became something, and something can never come from nothing. i am a reflection of God's greatness. when i ponder upon my organs, my growth, digestion, rainfall, harvest, i see nothing but miracles. and these are all themes covered in the Quran. and we are informed that we were not created in vain but for a struggle and test in this life to prepare us for what is even greater and better.

Alhamdulillah.

3 Likes

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by sino(m): 10:41am On Aug 30, 2016
Seun:

Thanks for your response. Most of us came into religion that same way. How are you sure that the Quran is truly the word of God, though?

You are welcome. How are we sure of anything in this life?! How do we perceive the truth?! What is the truth?! These are questions that I did ask myself, and still do, I am open-minded, and I have studied the Qur'an based on my own limitations, and I arrived at the the believe that it is indeed the truth. I refer to limitations with respect to available resources to verify facts, existence of the personalities and periods mentioned in the Qur'an and during the period of revelation. It would be illogical to believe in a creator who wouldn't give his creation a guide. In the Qur'an, Allah (SWT) would tell us to study our own lives and see/realize the truth. We as humans create stuff, and would always add a manual, a user guide. I believe Allah (SWT) created me, and He sent the Qur'an as a guide, so I learn and understand my purpose, as well as how to navigate through this ephemeral world in order to attain success in this life and the next.

Seun:

How would you disprove the idea that the Prophet simply took the stories of those prophets from the bible and modified them for the Qur'an?

The narrative of revelation from previous messengers till the last has to be consistent, the message should be one and same, and that is to believe in one true God and worship Him alone. Once I have believed in the truth of the Qur'an being revealed, I have no problem with similar narrations in previous books, because the Qur'an has enjoined me to believe in the previous books being revelations from the same source/Author. Since the Author had mentioned the names of His previous works and some information in them, in the new and final work, there is no need to scream plagiarism. Hence there is no need to even think for a second that the Prophet (SAW) took and modify anything, his purpose was to convey the message and guide the people.

Seun:

Could your distaste for the Christian trinity doctrine be due to its condemnation by the religion you were brought up in, and nothing more?
On the contrary, It has nothing to do with the religion I was brought up in, in fact, in fact, i learnt more about Christianity than Islam when I was growing up, no thanks to compulsory BK and CRK classes, I even had a bible and a song of praise (i think)...

The fact that we humans detest sharing authority generally...We may have subordinates, but not share that position of authority. We do not have 2 presidents in a country, nor can two people captain a ship. Therefore it makes no sense to believe there are more than one creator, there would be chaos if such were to be true.

10 Likes

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by Empiree: 7:17pm On Aug 30, 2016
What is it with Seun recent "affection" for religion, especially islam?. He has opened at least three threads within close range seeking some answers from Muslims. Did he have a dream about Islam or what?. I even saw him recommended du'a for someone in islam section.

Good job bro.
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by Seun(m): 10:35pm On Sep 01, 2016
sino:
You are welcome. How are we sure of anything in this life?! How do we perceive the truth?! What is the truth?! These are questions that I did ask myself, and still do,
Scientists and lawyers would tell us that we can find out if something is true by weighing the evidence for and against it. Would you agree?

I am open-minded, and I have studied the Qur'an based on my own limitations, and I arrived at the the believe that it is indeed the truth.
Hmm. What are the specific things you observed during your study of the Quran that caused you to become fully convinced that it's true? (Tnx)
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 11:51pm On Sep 01, 2016
Seun:

What are the specific things you observed during your study of the Quran that caused you to become fully convinced that it's true? (Tnx)

For a somebody like you who believe only in empirical facts, there are many empirical facts in the Qur'an. Qur'an was revealed over 1400 years ago when there were generally no scientific methods in the world. Take for instance:

The Quran and the Darkness of the Bottom Deep Sea.
Allah says:

Or (the unbelievers’ state) is like the darkness in a deep sea... (Quran, 24:40)

Today, it has been scientifically proved that, even during hot sunny day, the bottom of the deep sea is a complete darkness. Few aquatic lives that reside at that potion of the sea have their own source(s) of light for survival. How did Qur'an get to know this fact? 1400 years ago? This knowledge wouldn't have come anywhere at that time except from the Creator of the Universe Himself(SWT)!

There are many other empirical facts like that in the Qur'an.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 02, 2016
Among many examples
Islam talks about the past present and future

One example

Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 11:
وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمْ لَا تُفْسِدُوا فِي الْأَرْضِ قَالُوا إِنَّمَا نَحْنُ مُصْلِحُونَ

And when it is said to them, Do not make mischief in the land, they say: We are but peace-makers.

This is very true considering what world leaders are doing.. killing innocent inhabitants of nations claiming they are trying to bring peace

Cc seun
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by Seun(m): 1:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
MrOlai:
For a somebody like you who believe only on empirical facts, there are many empirical facts in the Qur'an. Qur'an was revealed over 1400 years ago when there were generally no scientific methods in the world. Take for instance:

The Quran and the Darkness of the Bottom Deep Sea.
Allah says:

Or (the unbelievers’ state) is like the darkness in a deep sea... (Quran, 24:40)

Today, it has been scientifically proved that, even during hot sunny day, the bottom of the deep sea is a complete darkness. Few aquatic lives that reside at that potion of the sea have their own source(s) of light for survival. How did Qur'an get to know this fact? 1400 years ago? This knowledge wouldn't have come anywhere at that time except from the Creator of the Universe Himself(SWT)!

There are many other empirical facts like that in the Qur'an.
Thanks for this specific example. Skeptics could say that people had been sailing on the seas and swimming on beaches long before the Quran was written. Many people who swam in the sea, or fell into it, or dived into it to rescue someone who was drowning must have experienced the darkness under the sea and told other people about it. It should have been common knowledge that it's dark under the sea. This skeptical position is supported by the fact that the Quran was using the darkness in the deep sea in an analogy (it would not have made sense for the darkness under the deep sea to be used in an analogy if it wasn't common knowledge at that time that the deep sea is a dark place).

If skeptics could explain away all the facts in the Quran that the Prophet couldn't have known, would that shake your faith in the Quran?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by DevotedOne(m): 3:52pm On Sep 02, 2016
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. As salaamu alaykum The Peace Be Upon You.

Seun:

Thanks for this specific example. Skeptics could say that people had been sailing on the seas and swimming on beaches long before the Quran was written. Many people who swam in the sea, or fell into it, or dived into it to rescue someone who was drowning must have experienced the darkness under the sea and told other people about it. It should have been common knowledge that it's dark under the sea. This skeptical position is supported by the fact that the Quran was using the darkness in the deep sea in an analogy (it would not have made sense for the darkness under the deep sea to be used in an analogy if it wasn't common knowledge at that time that the deep sea is a dark place).

If skeptics could explain away all the facts in the Quran that the Prophet couldn't have known, would that shake your faith in the Quran?

The verse in question (24:40), is referring to: Stygian darkness, extremely dark, gloomy, or forbidding, infernal; hellish -- the stygian blackness of the cave. The type darkness experienced by deep sea divers sixteen miles beneath the sea. It is meant as a warning to unbelievers, who pretend that this worldly life is truth, reality. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stygian

Btw, which facts can skeptics explain away?? None that I know of. Shake ones faith, how?? Write a chapter like Qur'an!!

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 3:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
Seun:

I'll educate you on this later. I'm very busy now. Perhaps you'll accept Islam at the end of the day! grin

1 Like

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 4:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
DevotedOne:
The type darkness experienced by deep sea divers sixteen miles beneath the sea.
Wassalaam. DevotedOne

This is in incorrect too! When I'm less busy, I'll explain Insha Allah!
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 11:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
Seun:

Ocean Basin is classified into five basically, namely:
1. Continental Shelf
2. Continental Slope
3. Deep Sea Plain
4. Ocean Ridge;
5. Ocean Deep/Trench.

See the attached diagrams for illustration.

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 11:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
^^^
Of all the five parts, sunlight gets to the bottom of only Continental Shelf. As such, Continental Shelf is the most important of all the five parts.

For the Deep Sea, the height of the water column is divided into three zones namely:
1. Sunlight Zone (0 - 200m)
2. Twilight Zone (200 - 1000m)
3. Midnight/Darkness Zone (Beyond 1000m).

Check the diagram attached.

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 12:01am On Sep 03, 2016
^^^
For the Sunlight Zone, light from the sun is well detected. Sunlight gets to every part of the 200m range. Photosynthesis takes place here.

For the Twilight Zone, no significant sunlight is detected. Photosynthesis cannot take place here. You should know what that means.

For the Midnight/Darkness Zone, sunlight does not get here at all.
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 12:30am On Sep 03, 2016
Seun:

@bolded. Human Ear Drum would get punctured beyond 10m into the sea, by the water pressure! Ear Drum can only withstand a maximum water pressure of about 10m depth. So , the people you were referring to, here, would swim or rescue a drowning person still within that range of depth.

Besides, do you know the average depth of Continental Shelf? It's about 150m. The average depth of Deep Sea is over 4km. In fact, the deepest part of the ocean is over 11km. It would completely submerge Mountain Everest if placed in it. The place is called Challenger Deep in Mariana Trench. The water pressure there can crush elephant into powder!

So, those people you were talking about, they swim and rescue other only within Continental Shelf. In fact, they can't even get to the deep bottom of Continental Shelf alone not to talk of Deep Sea Plain.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 12:42am On Sep 03, 2016
Seun:

@bolded. By now, you should know where you got it wrong with the bolded words. During the day, there is no darkness anywhere in the sea except the Midnight/Darkness Zone only in the Deep Sea, not in the Continental Shelf. No human being would experience the darkness in the Deep Sea and would still be alive!

So, Oga Seun, do you believe Qur'an now?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 1:07am On Sep 03, 2016
DevotedOne:
The type darkness experienced by deep sea divers sixteen miles beneath the sea.
Wassalaam. DevotedOne

16 miles is about 26km. No diver in the world can dive to a depth of 26km in the sea, even with diver's gadgets! The pressure at that depth is unbearable! The pressure there is synonymous with death!

The diver who holds the Guineas World Record for the greatest depth is Ahmad Gabr, an Egyptian. He dived to a depth of 1090 feet(About 332 metres).

332 metres is not up to 1km. 332m is within the Twilight Zone of the sea.

However, 26 miles(About 26km) lies within the Midnight/Darkness Zone of the sea. This is correct.

Below is the picture of Ahmad Gabr.

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by Seun(m): 10:58am On Sep 03, 2016
MrOlai:
@bolded. By now, you should know where you got it wrong with the bolded words. During the day, there is no darkness anywhere in the sea except the Midnight/Darkness Zone only in the Deep Sea, not in the Continental Shelf. No human being would experience the darkness in the Deep Sea and would still be alive!

So, Oga Seun, do you believe Qur'an now?
What if another skeptic said that, even though people could not have dived safely to the darkest parts of the deep sea, they must have noticed that the ocean got darker the deeper they went, and thus inferred that the bottom of the deep sea must be dark? What if she challenged you to ask 10 uneducated people on the streets if the bottom of the deep sea was bright or dark and said she suspected that most of them would say it was dark? What if she said that regardless of the above, the context of that verse in the Quran suggests that the audience was familiar with the darkness of the bottom of the deep sea? That there was no point in comparing an unbeliever's heart to the darkness of the deep sea if the audience didn't already believe or know that the deep sea was dark?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by DevotedOne(m): 1:41pm On Sep 03, 2016
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. As salaamu alaykum The Peace Be Upon You.

@MrOlai:
I can tell you, that since a child, I have seen Movies, TV documentaries, Magazine articles/pictures, of fully equipped divers walking on the very bottom of the sea, with some type of torch lights. And what of those divers that search for (treasure in) sunken ships, on the bottom of the ocean? Or, is that some kind of trick?? So, please double check your quoted post below. Thanks.

16 miles is about 26km. No diver in the world can dive to a depth of 26km in the sea, even with diver's gadgets! The pressure at that depth is unbearable! The pressure there is synonymous with death!

The diver who holds the Guineas World Record for the greatest depth is Ahmad Gabr, an Egyptian. He dived to a depth of 1090 feet(About 332 metres).

332 metres is not up to 1km. 332m is within the Twilight Zone of the sea.

However, 26 miles(About 26km) lies within the Midnight/Darkness Zone of the sea. This is correct.

Wassalaam. DevotedOne
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 1:44pm On Sep 03, 2016
Seun:
What if another skeptic said that, even though people could not have dived safely to the darkest parts of the deep sea, they must have noticed that the ocean got darker the deeper they went, and thus inferred that the bottom of the deep sea must be dark? What if she challenged you to ask 10 uneducated people on the streets if the bottom of the deep sea was bright or dark and said he suspected that most of them would say it was dark? What if she said that regardless of the above, the context of that verse in the Quran suggests that the audience was familiar with the darkness of the bottom of the sea? That there was no point in comparing an unbeliever's heart to the darkness of the deep sea if the audience didn't already believe or know that the deep sea was dark?

Lol. I'm busy now.
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 11:00pm On Sep 03, 2016
DevotedOne:
@MrOlai:
I can tell you, that since a child, I have seen Movies, TV documentaries, Magazine articles/pictures, of fully equipped divers walking on the very bottom of the sea, with some type of torch lights. And what of those divers that search for (treasure in) sunken ships, on the bottom of the ocean? Or, is that some kind of trick?? So, please double check your quoted post below. Thanks.
Wassalaam. DevotedOne

Wa 'alaykum salam.
Before responding to you questions, check this first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjN4OhJEgw
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 11:13pm On Sep 03, 2016
^^
The divers there are on the floor of the Continental Shelf not on the floor of Deep Sea Plain. The head gadget they wear is strong enough to protect their ear drums from getting punctured by water pressure at that level. Remember, average depth of Continental Shelf is about 150m. With appropriate diver's gadgets, any diver can walk on the floor of Continental Shelf.

If there has to be any exploration of the Deep Sea floor by scientists, then, they go to the Deep Sea floor in a 'vehicle' designed for that purpose. The 'vehicle' is air-conditioned to suit the normal atmospheric pressure for the scientists. The 'vehicle' can withstand the pressure at that level. I repeat, no diver or any other person can get to the bottom of the Deep Sea floor without staying in the 'vehicle' except if the person is ready to join his ancestors!

Below is the picture of one of such 'vehicles':

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 11:39pm On Sep 03, 2016
^^
The above 'vehicle' is designed for three persons for Deep Sea exploration.
Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 12:33am On Sep 04, 2016
Seun:
What if another skeptic said that, even though people could not have dived safely to the darkest parts of the deep sea, they must have noticed that the ocean got darker the deeper they went, and thus inferred that the bottom of the deep sea must be dark? What if she challenged you to ask 10 uneducated people on the streets if the bottom of the deep sea was bright or dark and said she suspected that most of them would say it was dark? What if she said that regardless of the above, the context of that verse in the Quran suggests that the audience was familiar with the darkness of the bottom of the deep sea? That there was no point in comparing an unbeliever's heart to the darkness of the deep sea if the audience didn't already believe or know that the deep sea was dark?

Oga Seun, the analysis is clear enough except if we don't want to be sincere with ourselves.

Check out this challenge from God in the Qur'an:

أَفَلاَ يَتَدَبَّرُونَ الْقُرْآنَ وَلَوْ كَانَ مِنْ عِندِ غَيْرِ اللّهِ لَوَجَدُواْ فِيهِ اخْتِلاَفًا كَثِيراً {Suratul Nisai 82)

"Why do they not study the Quran carefully? If it were from other than GOD, they would have found in it numerous contradictions."

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by MrOlai: 1:51pm On Sep 04, 2016
^^
This is another one for you Oga Seun:

"فَالْيَوْمَ نُنَجِّيكَ بِبَدَنِكَ لِتَكُونَ لِمَنْ خَلْفَكَ آيَةً ۚ وَإِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِنَ النَّاسِ عَنْ آيَاتِنَا لَغَافِلُونَ"

"(O Pharaoh!) We shall today preserve your (lifeless) body so that you may become a sign (of warning) for those that come after you. Indeed, most of the people are neglectful of Our Signs."
(Qur'an 10: 92)

The lifeless body of Pharaoh was found intact in the Red Sea! This is one of the reasons Professor Maurice Bucaille accepted Islam.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by Bnladan(m): 4:49pm On Sep 04, 2016
Seun:

Would you trust a book comparing Islam and Christianity that was written by Pastor Adeboye, whose teachings are also practical and clear?

How would you convince a skeptic, who sees abrogation as simply a system for managing the contradictions in the Qur'an, that it's not so?

Interesting!

Can you share the bible verses that talk about the prophethood of Prophet Muhammad, and Hajj? I'm extremely interested because it's news to me!
Oga Seun, I will provide d verses frm several versions of d bible dat confirm d prophethood of Prophet Muhammad PBUH. Even though I knw u dnt believe in his prophethood(i pray u do smdy), we will highly appreciate it if u add "prophet" before his name in ur subsequent comments. This will gv us some view dat u respect our religion and dat truly wat brought u here is 2 get informed bout Islam. It's jst a request though and i'll undrstnd if u do otherwise. Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Personal Reasons For Believing In Islam by Seun(m): 8:46pm On Sep 04, 2016
Bnladan:
we will highly appreciate it if u add "prophet" before his name in ur subsequent comments. This will gv us some view dat u respect our religion and dat truly wat brought u here is 2 get informed bout Islam.
I am so sorry! I thought the Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad would be repetitive. No harm intended. I think it's time for me to leave. Sorry!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3)

A Difficult Question About Allah / it's a lie, Mary didn't wear an hijab / How To Complete The Qur'an This Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.