Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,472 members, 7,954,846 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:48 AM

Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y (943 Views)

This Is What You Lose When You Walk Away From A Woman Who’s Ready To Love You / Guys, Can You Walk With A Lady That Dressed Like This? / I Carried Her Bag And suddenly it seems me against the world(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y by ememabasiakpan(m): 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2016
One of the most common phenomena that happen to us every day is when we enter a room, humming a tune and suddenly forgot what we want, or while we are on a call and we open the door of the fridge then forget what we were looking for. Basically opening doors suddenly make us forget, more often than not, the purpose behind why that door was opened by us in the first place! Sounds familiar? Well, science has an explanation for this. Forgetting why you entered a room is called the “Doorway Effect”, and it may reveal as much about the strengths of human memory, as it does the weaknesses, says psychologist Tom Stafford.
Here is a small story to help you explain why this happens exactly. A woman meets three builders during their lunch break. “What are you doing today?” she asks the first. “I’m putting brick after sodding brick on top of another,” sighs the first. “What are you doing today?” she asks the second. “I’m building a wall,” is the simple reply. But the third builder swells with pride when asked, and replies: “I’m building a cathedral!” The third builder might think that he is the sorted one of the lot, but nobody can build a cathedral without figuring out how to successfully put one brick on top of another like the first builder. When we carry on with the chores of the day, our attention span shifts between these levels – from our goals and ambitions, to plans and strategies, and to the lowest levels, our concrete actions. The hierarchy of action moves up and down and allows us to carry out complex behaviours.
The Doorway Effect occurs when our attention moves between these levels, and it reflects on our memory span of that moment, that is, what we are doing, and what we are about to do. So if you went to get your keys and forgot about it the moment you entered the room, what happened was that your immediate plan to get the keys was forgotten because you were already thinking about leaving the house, which was the larger plan. Somewhere in navigating this complex hierarchy the need for keys popped into mind, and your attention span shifted to other things, thus erasing the immediate action. Remember hard when you open any door now!

see more @https://betatok..com.ng/2016/08/do-you-walk-through-door-and-suddenly.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y by LuvU2: 8:09pm On Aug 24, 2016
wow i really can relate smiley
Re: Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y by Kingsasian(m): 8:23pm On Aug 24, 2016
Wow. I believe this
Re: Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y by EmperorLee(m): 8:26pm On Aug 24, 2016
85 Likes.

1 Like

Re: Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y by NevetsIbot(m): 8:31pm On Aug 24, 2016
tru tho. Still had this experience today.
Re: Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y by piperson(m): 10:17pm On Aug 24, 2016
interesting piece
Re: Do You Walk Through A Door And Suddenly Forget What You Want? Science Can Tell Y by Surfboard(m): 10:51pm On Aug 24, 2016
Really interesting and educative

This is in the wrong section though.

(1) (Reply)

5 Habits Every Ladies Must Stop If She's Ready To Settle Down For Marriage / Is She In For The Money Or Playing Hard To Get? / How True Is This About Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.