Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,556 members, 7,816,345 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47644 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 12:05am On Apr 24, 2007
We all know Jerilyn has outstayed her voice type and level in the competition. With an unbiased frame of mind, I know she has the weakest voice in the show, and her voice dynamics can rank only with Temitayo's. The problem I think is that everyone is voting only for 1 person. (an uncle of mine voted Timi 23 times!). I think we should spread our votes instead of throwing them on one person. Personally I voted 3 for Timi, 3 for Mercy, 3 for Jodie, 2 for Eric, 2 for Omawumi and none for Jerilyn and Temitayo. That was the order in which they impressed me. If you throw all your votes on Timi and forget to vote for Mercy, remember that some people are throwing all their votes (and i mean all) for Jerilyn and the like. Please let's vote with wisdom and sense next week. It will be a shame if West Africa ends up presenting an average singer as it's "Idol".
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 1:59am On Apr 24, 2007
Icon:

@9ja4eva. It's usually at this link - http://www.mnetafrica.com/idols/videogallery/default.asp
But I don't know why they don't put up the videos until 2 days after the performances. They'll put it up tomorrow, I believe. You can view previous performances there too.
@salsera, who's going today o I hope , goes. You know who I mean!

Thanks i wld visit the link now.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 9:19am On Apr 24, 2007
wat the heck happened yesterday.pls someone tell me i dreamt that jerrilyn is still in the competition and on the save list! this is outrageous pls who votes 4 her. i think she will win the way things are going.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 11:51am On Apr 24, 2007
Pretty good analysis there Lawyerchap. You write brilliantly and you are spot on with your analysis. I agree with every word. Keep them going.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 12:12pm On Apr 24, 2007
molluma:

what the heck happened yesterday.please someone tell me i dreamt that jerrilyn is still in the competition and on the save list! this is outrageous please who votes 4 her. i think she will win the way things are going.

Looks like she has enough fans + her story too.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Suthu(f): 2:43pm On Apr 24, 2007
I give up myself, Jerrylin will never go cry. Beside seeing that Beyonce-never-gonna-be leave the show, I think justice was done undecided. Mercy was trying too hard and she was going to be eliminated eventually. My top 3 will then be: Jodie, Temitayo and Timi. Eric not being safe last night, I'm sure it was a wake up calls for him . I don't know what they see in him, but come on guys - that smile can really-really get on my nerves sometimes. I always close my eyes when Eric sings, just to determine that if it wasn't for the looks that they say he has - would he still be on the show? And the answer is, NOT FOR LONG! Nevertheless, I admire Timi for taking this competition Idols seriously on Sunday. Yah, I think I now understand what is meant when they say, save the best for last. They should really choose the songs that are going to work for them now, just like Timi. Next Monday Jerrylin MUST leave! Omawumi will follow, then Eric. After that, we will have to fasten our seat belts real tight because it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I'm sorry to disappoint you Viperman, but Timi won't win this one. I often battle to make out of the things he says when he's being interviewed. That's his weakness. What on earth of Africa is he going to say when he's being interviewed? I don't know if it's the accent or low-self esteem. But if it was the self-esteem, he would be where he is now. Is he French speaking or something? And he always find way of missing the point.

Keep it real Africa by voting wisely!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 3:31pm On Apr 24, 2007
Some people do like Jerrilyn, and voting algorithms is helping her go far because every phone and every PC in Liberia is voting for her, if Jarry had not been kicked out earlier, it might have been a different story.
I must confess Timi is superb, and worth every vote available. He makes the songs his own, and has the required carriage to perform them.
Jodie is steadily declining, her over performance and night-club rendition of Tina Turner's song was almost abysmal (borrowed from Cowell). coupled with a bad hair day and embarrassing stumps (legs).
Omawunmi not only can sing but can dance too, to me thats a star.
Eric belongs to bars and karaoke night clubs. Temitayo can add swing bars to her list of favorite places but certainly not worth a BMG contract.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 4:55pm On Apr 24, 2007
I just don't see where Eric is supposed to be so goodlooking. He has a horrible smile and his ears are big. He is insincere and does not sing from his heart in his performances and his voice is mediocre.
Jodie has lost confidence or something, she is not the same over the last 2 weeks. She is good but put her on a world stage and she does not stand out or shine, there are many singers like her in the world.
Omawumi has or should have it all, but she lacks performance skills in knowing how to connect with the audience. She seems to perform for herself and does not make eye contact with the tv or the audience. That is her problem
Mercy was never going to win, so whether she went this week or not made no difference. She is a good singer, but does not perform well and pulls awkward faces when she sings.
Temitayo as I have said before has tremendous confidence which covers the fact that she is not an exceptionally good singer.
Jerrilyn has has tried to improve but she just does not have enough talent.
Timi is a star, born performer, he transforms when he hits the stage and he has incredible stage presence and charisma when performing. His strength, besides his voice is his incredible connection with the lyrics and to make the audience feel and believe in what he is singing. He is unique, there is no other Timi anywhere in the world the way he performs and for me that is what makes him the winner.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 10:09pm On Apr 24, 2007
@ lawyerchap,
i agree with u totally. great analysis. 2 thumbs up.
and NO, i dont think jodie is very attractive, but thank God its mostly a singing competition (or so we were meant to believe) cheesy cheesy

@ suthu,
i dont agree that timi cant express himself properly, its just his voice. what you choose to see as low self esteem, i see as humility and it works for me. His looks and speaking voice aint all that for me but he more than makes up for it when he performs/sings.
those that must not win the competition is as follows;
jerrilyn
temitayo
omawunmi
exactly in that order.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thecolonel: 5:33am On Apr 25, 2007
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 9:02am On Apr 25, 2007
thabs:

Omawumi has or should have it all, but she lacks performance skills in knowing how to connect with the audience. She seems to perform for herself and does not make eye contact with the tv or the audience. That is her problem
Timi is a star, born performer, he transforms when he hits the stage and he has incredible stage presence and charisma when performing. His strength, besides his voice is his incredible connection with the lyrics and to make the audience feel and believe in what he is singing. He is unique, there is no other Timi anywhere in the world the way he performs and for me that is what makes him the winner.
@Thabs
Very well said indeed. However Omawumi can be taught those performance skills. with a Sony-BMG contract, her life will be one long coaching lesson with some of the record industry's finest coaches, and she will eventually get it right. In my opinion she's got perhaps the most beautiful voice on Idols now that Joan is gone. I played faith hill's "Cry" in the office and then immediately played Omawumi's performance of the same song; aside from the sound quality of both tracks, most people couldn't tell which was faith hill and which was Omawumi. I think she's good enough for that contract. But you are so right about Timi. He's about the closest thing to the finished product on Idols right now. On current form he should win it without too much trouble.
makin:

Jodie is steadily declining, her over performance and night-club rendition of Tina Turner's song was almost abysmal (borrowed from Cowell). coupled with a bad hair day and embarrassing stumps (legs).
Omawunmi not only can sing but can dance too, to me thats a star.

@Makin
I agree completely with you. Don't know what Jodie's problem is. Timi's newfound form seems to be taking its toll on her. But she can sing sha, just that on Idols you're only as good as your last performance (if you don't have a voting syndicate).
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 11:54pm On Apr 25, 2007
@all

what can I say that everyone else hasn't

@lawyerchap

that wasn't salsa wink
yeah omawumi does have a great -looking bod but she isn't working it enough and she looks the same everytime she comes on. She really would do well with a recording contract.

jodie, jodie she's still my fav'rite. I need to tell her somethings on that blog

then jerrilyn, just ignore and remember whilst we are sharing our votes with 5 contestants some others are sending all their voting power to J-girl

If ' shot putt' stays another week then we need to do some BBN moves quick.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 8:51am On Apr 26, 2007
salsera:

@lawyerchap

that wasn't salsa wink

shocked embarassed
oops. rumbled. My Bad. But what was it? It sha had some serious latino flavour.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 4:56am On Apr 27, 2007
Who wld win
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 8:20am On Apr 27, 2007
who would win? Even Cowell the great cow can't answer that.
Prepare for the worst case scenario, this is Africa, having a "Sanjaya" win this competition is highly probable cos voting patterns are highly erratic and not based on last performance per se.
While the great voice performances of Lara George, Ibitoru and Jarry didn't make it above the 1st stage, the round of six would feature karaoke Eric, Mediocre Jerrilyn and Not-so-good-voice Temitayo.
God forbid a winner from the crap pack as i term them.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 9:23am On Apr 27, 2007
LOL

Abi oh
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by TCUBE(m): 1:42am On Apr 28, 2007
saw come clips online , What u people call "amazing" is just conventional in the united states .didnt really hear anything fantastic, word!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:35am On Apr 28, 2007
TCUBE, I beg to differ, I have watched every season except the 1st season of American Idol I have watched two of Pop Idol UK and 2 South African Idols, yes, you could say I am a fanatic. And in my opinion, Timi's last performance of "Stuck on you"(which is not yet online), as a performance is better than any male performance and probably the best allround performance I have ever watched on any of the shows. This year the men in A. Idols are absolutely pathetic.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ladesky(f): 11:54am On Apr 28, 2007
Hi everyone, I'm new to the house and having read what every one has posted so far, i kind of want to disagree with some of U. I think we shouldnt be sentimental, The show has been wonderful so far. Dede annoys me sometimes but i think he's doing a good job.I've watched the auditions for American idols and I've also seen some funny characters, we dont only have pple like them in Nigeria, I know had a good laugh when i was watching the audition. I think its great they've brought something like dat to west Africa. The judges are critics who should bring out the best in the contestants and they're doing fine so far. Ouch, sorry i stepped on some toes. Any way, Timi is my guy, I want him to win.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ladesky(f): 11:58am On Apr 28, 2007
Timi is good, he's got what it takes to be a west african idol.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 11:11am On Apr 29, 2007
Ope Jerrilyn doesnt win anyway
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by BIKINI(f): 5:06pm On Apr 29, 2007
THOSE PEEOPLE DON'TREALLY HAVE HANDIWORK.
I GUESS WHAT THEY REALLY MEAN IDS "IDLES"
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kellorah: 5:08pm On Apr 29, 2007
lol bikini, nice one cheesy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kellorah: 5:08pm On Apr 29, 2007
9ja4eva:

Ope Jerrilyn doesnt win anyway
same here
i think she's working on getting sympathy votes tongue
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tenik: 7:10pm On Apr 29, 2007
whoz perfect to win, cant seem to choose between omawumi , jodie n timi
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tenik: 7:11pm On Apr 29, 2007
i love the three ,  they kind of perfect n raw, waiting to be refined, but timi, feels he needs the fame,
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 29, 2007
O yes its Ladies night

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

I just loved Oma tonight

and Jodie , what can I say
With all that movement, her voice was solid as a rock

My two fav's for the nite, no long tin wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 1:11am On Apr 30, 2007
kellorah:

same here
i think she's working on getting sympathy votes tongue

Yeah i tink so too.Na pity face she dey use
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 10:13am On Apr 30, 2007
ITS OFFICIAL; Temitayo can't sing!!!
If her other performances didn't show it, last night we all saw and heard her, not only was she wailing, she missed so many notes, you'll think it was a primary school performance.
Tonight, we'll know whose voting syndicate is more powerful, Jerrilyn or Temitayo: The battle of mediocres
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by nonysmith(m): 10:28am On Apr 30, 2007
she was an apology.my grandmum can sing better than her
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by rock2(m): 7:43pm On Apr 30, 2007
OMG! I can't believe Jodie is out.

Its time they call the competition something else because its obvious there are some Africans out there
voting for other reasons. or is it the counting guys that are not counting it well?

I still can't believe it
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by rock2(m): 7:57pm On Apr 30, 2007
Guys Please, in addition to voting for our favourites from our phones next week, lets also try to vote online too. Lets normalize this idols thing.

Jodie is out sha! Maybe its my TV playing tricks on me. Who did you see go out on your own TV?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.