Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,654 members, 7,816,682 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47646 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 30, 2007
@ All

SYNDICATES have done it AGAIN!!!!!!!

I am UPSET is an understatement, Jodie was removed over popularity

There were tears in my home free flowing

kai. WEST AFRICA IDOLS has ended for me right here

There is no performance to look forward too anymore

These BBN people have come to scatter IDOLS now
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 11:27pm On Apr 30, 2007
It's so annoying and so sad that Jodie had to leave. I must admit I almost shed tears. I'm still not yet over it , can't make any comments right now.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by olorin: 1:00am On May 01, 2007
hello everybody found this site by mistake. I think you're all doing good about sharing your thoughts on the Idols. is like temitayo's mother is working so her daughter will win this competition. on sunday she bought packets of recharge cards and sent them round lagos for people and wrote behind the cards "vote temitayo, text 1 to 33351". i was not happy when i saw the cards. she is buying votes. Jerilin is packing all the votes in liberia and outside nigeria or else she will have gone since.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 8:49am On May 01, 2007
LOL

Ha she need to struggle now
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 10:49am On May 01, 2007
i am so not over jodie leaving.the competition was between her and eric.what a shame wats wrong wit africa i almost cried people we all know jerry aint good what are we going to do?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chijewel(f): 11:19am On May 01, 2007
its so sad. i dont see the point of a competition when there is none. i mean who r the people voting? i dont think i can watch it anymore. cry
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 11:39am On May 01, 2007
please go to the idols website and protest.let them know the audience is aggrieved.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 1:52pm On May 01, 2007
The African spectacular will be remembered as the defining moment of Idols West Africa: the moment when Africa voted to officially define the show as a farce. It started off well enough; the thought of the contestants doing songs from Mama Africa was spine tingling and anticipatory goose bump inducing especially when one considered the huge pool of astounding African talent from which the songs would be drawn.

I had certain misgivings about the show that day however. First I had to work that Sunday, then after absconding from work at 6.50pm my usually reliable generator inexplicably refused to start. By the time I got it to respond, I had missed the better part of Eric’s performance. Anyway, Eric (who I now realize is not so good looking after all. I mean, check out those bat-like ears) opened the night with a pretty but easily forgettable rendition of Tosin Martins’ cult-hit and emergent wedding anthem “Olo Mi.” Aside from missing a few of the words, which we can put down to his not being a yoruba chap, the performance was spectacular only in its safeness. It was the right kind of song for his kind of voice but he brought nothing extra to the classic song, which was kind of a shame really as I had expected to see some creativity from the “ladies man.” Expectedly though the audience rocked with him, such being the immense popularity of the song. But was it just me or did he seem surprised when the music ended?

Temitayo came up next and I could have cheerfully strangled her for the injustice she did to the gem of a song “Agolo” by Angelique Kidjo the songstress from Benin after whom the African Spectacular should have been named, as half of the songs performed on the night were hits from her repertoire. We’ve always speculated on whether or not Temitayo could sing; on Sunday night she put all those speculations to rest. She can’t sing to save her life. Screeching notes and offkey imitations of Kidjo’s vocal stunts ensured we were watching the worst performance of the night. But like we all know, Temitayo is in for the long haul. Even if she gets on stage and stands on her head whistling “Dixie” she’ll still be declared safe on the following Monday. It’s sad how the voting format of Idols allows anyone with sufficient cash to literally buy the Idols title.

The first really bright spot of the night came when Omawumi took the stage resplendent in a truly native attire with a post modern twist (or was it a modern attire with a traditional twist?). Singing Onyeka Onwenu’s uptempo hit “Ekwe” Omawumi launched herself into the song with her trademark sustained high note, and she held this one for all of nine seconds, her longest note yet. It got the crowd going and she kept them on a high throughout her beautiful performance. She apparently has gotten wise to the fact that booty-shaking detracts from her singing and she kept the dancing to the barest minimum, instead infusing her routine with a sassy cockiness that was written into the song by Nigeria’s most revered songstress. In any case, the outfit was scandalous enough by street standards and any attempt to work it would have bordered on tasteless obscenity. But Omawumi is classy enough to realize that she needn’t stoop to unnecessary distraction to deliver, what was for me, the performance of the night.

Jerrilyn came next doing another Angelique Kidjo song, this time it was the hugely popular “Wombolombo.” From the the first note, I could smell disaster as she went in the complete opposite direction from the band. But amazingly she pulled it out of the fire by regaining her key on the very second note. I was impressed. But not for long. Little Liberian Girl with the perpetual hangdog expression simply lacked sufficient talent to carry off the song. Okay, so she brought an unexpected melody to the tune which had me actually break out in gooseflesh and in certain parts of her performance she actually hinted at hidden reserves of power in her voice, but it was clear she was struggling with the song all the way through. Did you notice her huge sigh of relief when the song ended? Jerrilyn may be the second worst singer on Idols but she’s not really a bad singer o. With some coaching she could actually become quite listenable without accompanying grimaces of pain when a note goes awry. At least on the night she didn’t give us the worst performance, for once. Loved the outfit.

Timi the current darling of Idols fans (across Nigeria at least) was next singing Sunny Neji’s Wedding Anthem “Oruka.” That warm voice never fails to get the crowd going and Sunday was no different. He was getting into the groove with the audience when catastrophe struck. He appeared to lose concentration and consequently totally lost track of the beat. It seemed like an otherworldly experience to hear Timi singing off beat and try as hard as he could, the damage from missing his cue was all but irreparable. But he showed real class and quick thinking by abandoning the script and improvising brilliantly for all of ninety seconds with a spur of the moment ad-lib extravaganza that seemed scripted. I was speechless with admiration for this gifted young man who had turned certain disaster into a resounding triumph. I think he’s the Idol if he can fight off Jodie for these remaining few weeks.

Jodie brought the show to a close and the house down with her rock solid performance of the third Angelique Kidjo song of the night. Singing “Adouma” Jodie combined lots of energetic dancing with a phenomenally steady voice to deliver yet another spectacular performance. She delivered her lyrics so perfectly that it was almost indistinguishable from the original. I don’t know how she does it, dancing so hard without losing breath for the singing. Dan Foster remarked on this and when I remember how it affected Jerrilyn’s performance of Beyonce’s “Work it out” I’m truly amazed at the talent Jodie has been blessed with. It was the second best performance of the night for me.

So you can imagine my consternation when I heard Jodie had been voted off on Monday night. I had needed to stay late at work so I missed the results show again. But when I got home, my neighbours, fellow Idols fanatics, met me at the gate with the heartrending news. I was speechless with grief. How could such a travesty have occurred? And the irony of it is that it was Jerrilyn who had to tell the most talented individual on Idols that she was not safe.

Africa has turned their Idols show into a farce. This will be my last post as Idols West Africa is no longer worth following. Ask yourself who’s West Africa’s Top 5? Eric, Jerrilyn, Temitayo, Timi and Omawumi? The mediocre talents are more than the recording contract-worthy. And with the current voting patterns, Omawumi and Timi may just also be on the way out. So why bother?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 4:53pm On May 01, 2007
Please Lawyerchap, I beg of you; do not stop commenting. I enjoy it almost as much as i used to enjoy idols I beg; please?? The fact it some of us actually get a professional analysis from you. You will realise this is the forum where I have made the most posts. please, please. the fact is I love music but don't know squat. I depend on you, afterall Omawumi and Timi are still there.

Do consider not retiring yet. ok?

By the way are you really a lawyer or how come you know so much about music?

abeg ooo. even if you don't change your mind the world won't end but at least try make this particular thread brighter in all the darkness of the farce idols has become.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 5:13pm On May 01, 2007
lawyerchap:

This will be my last post as Idols West Africa is no longer worth following. Ask yourself who’s West Africa’s Top 5? Eric, Jerrilyn, Temitayo, Timi and Omawumi? The mediocre talents are more than the recording contract-worthy. And with the current voting patterns, Omawumi and Timi may just also be on the way out. So why bother?

Lawyerchap, I so feel you on that one. I almost refused to update my blog with the results. It'll be so pathetic if all West Africa can produce as it's best performer will be Jerilyn, or Temitayo , or Eric. All the great talents - Lara George, Ibitoru, David Desmond, Jarry dropped during the top 24. (I still go to the site to listen to David and Jarry's performances - great stuff) Other talents - Uche, Mercy who scaled through dropped during the top 10. Who do we have left? Voiceless individuals who just happen to begetting more votes than others. It's quite disheartening.
I've been so pained for Jodie since yesterday. I didn't watch the results too, I was at work. But a friend called me to break the bad news and several people sent me texts. That just spoilt the rest of the day for me. I wonder who is voting, and who is not.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 5:45pm On May 01, 2007
@Prof Ade
Yes, i'm really a lawyer but i'm not in practice. I chose to go into marketing communications instead. And no, i won't stop commenting. So long as one person looks forward to my posts, i won't stop. But i'm really pained sha.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 5:50pm On May 01, 2007
I also look forward to your summaries, lawyer chap. I'm sure we are more than a few who do. Please don't stop o. Abeg!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kelel213: 6:09pm On May 01, 2007
well,
i think Dede rocks, there definitely has to be someone to fill in the space of Simon. I also think jerelin should be sent packing.
Do remember to check out my Myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/laylowonline
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 6:59pm On May 01, 2007
I have not posted my thoughts on Sunday, as firstly I was away. I have only just returned, but I do feel I do not know these songs, or the style, so cannot judge them properly. But I will give my opinion anyway, because I just have to voice my opinion, (can't help it), I do know that Omawumi seemed to excel, she had attitude and her voice was good. For me, best of the night and jumped a few spaces on the tier. Timi, not his best performances, compared to the last 2 weeks, where he was world class, but I still love his voice and actually think he has the best recording voice of all. Temitayo proved to me more than ever, than she is just confidence, her vocals were totally off and flat. Shocking performance. Jerrilyn, some not too bad moments, but generally that tone of her voice irritates me, it is whiny and I just hate her tone. Jodie was excellent but she had definitely lost some momentum during the last 2 weeks, especially last week's Tina Turner performance was really bad. Karoake and her look just was copycat. Eric just always leave me stone cold, I say it every week, but he is just not believable to me, his performances always seem like he is trying too hard to be smooth and he lacks emotion and passion. His voice is also very nasal. I thought for sure we would have a Timi/Jodie final. With the way things are going, who knows. I love Timi and he has been my favourite always, but for me, a distant second now would be Omawumi and then, no one.

Also, lawyerchap, please don't stop posting , I look forward to your impressions. However, if Timi goes, you have permission to stop (only joking, well not really)
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kaydee(m): 7:23pm On May 01, 2007
The way this ish is going,Temitayo and Jerrilyn will be the two finalists.
Yeah! Lawyer Chap,post on time oh!!!!!!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 8:29pm On May 01, 2007
why shud lawyerchap POST again

why?

what is there to comment about.
RUBBISH
What's the point of a COMPETITION without COMPETITORS

BOYCOTT is the word.
I refuse to spend a dime on IDOLS again, the competition has ended and even TIMI isn't safe either.
Pathetic. The show's credibility is in doubt with voting public spread all over the WORLD.
Haba!! I voted ke, How can they tell me she dropped in votes so bad that she was in the bottom 3 and then she left.

I will PROTEST , and if they don't want to lose their voting audience they had better bring in another WILDCARD at the grand finale.

Think of all the great songs that chic could have given at the finale. it would have been such great viewing

NONSENSE
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 9:08pm On May 01, 2007
olorin:

hello everybody found this site by mistake. I think you're all doing good about sharing your thoughts on the Idols. is like temitayo's mother is working so her daughter will win this competition. on sunday she bought packets of recharge cards and sent them round lagos for people and wrote behind the cards "vote temitayo, text 1 to 33351". i was not happy when i saw the cards. she is buying votes. Jerilin is packing all the votes in liberia and outside nigeria or else she will have gone since.
Hey Olorin, I heard about the recharge cards too. Is this true?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 10:31pm On May 01, 2007
really its become a show of shame.
i mean, what is temitayo still doing there?
even jerrilyn was better than her on the night.
she was even rattled, not even mentioned as bottom 3? unbelievable!
the girl messed up the song and still is confident of winning. she knows what she has backing her up and we know its definetely not her voice or her ability to sing regardless.
omawunmi did great on the night. onyeka must've been very proud. the star performance of the night, surely.
timi certainly is ingeneous, the way he turned his predicament around was simply amazing. he certainly saved himself from disaster!
jerrilyn tried, i was surprised she could sing that well. she looked a bit unsure of herself, i think all the critisism is finally getting to her and she really has lost belief in herself.
this is not to say that she deserves to be where she is, but if judging from the night's performance she did far better than temitayo. i'm begining to think she is a better singer too!
jodie leaving is still a shock!!! shocked shocked
she's a great lady. was able to sing though her heart must have been breaking. thumbs up for her. what a lady!
with the way the show is going, i'm convinced we will end up with either temitayo and jerrilyn for the final
omawunmi or eric is certainly on their way home next.
west african idols. what a show? what disaster!! what enbarrassment!!! lipsrsealed angry sad
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 10:34pm On May 01, 2007
Hmm i c.Sympathy votes wnt count
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 9:11am On May 02, 2007
pls lawyer chap dont leave.abeg everi one who is upset bout the whole thing shld follow the link and complian.i know it would make no difference but the organisers have the rite to know how upset we are. http://www.mnetafrica.co.za/idols/news/default.asp?Id=132 .just click on forum.thanks complians will mean alot to jodie
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 9:13am On May 02, 2007
o and the person leaving next week is Timi
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 10:00am On May 02, 2007
Its simple; Jodie is out because people did not vote for her. Its much of a voting competition than a singing competition.
Jodie fans won't bother voting, she's too good to lose, her voice is one of the strongest and she definitely beats the crap pack (see my earlier posts).
Its not the peculiar to her though, last season on American Idol, Chris Daughtry was exceptional and his performances where undoubtedly the best in each round but he was surprisingly voted out and didn't make round of 3.
He went to release a self titled album and has more sales than both Taylor Hicks (winner of American Idol 5) debut and Katherine McPhee -the runner up.
Jodie has got talent, hope she realises her dream.
As for the crap pack they live to die another day.
Pardon me, I voted for Jerrilyn multiple times using a software i downloaded online and customized to fit idol west Africa, It was made for "so you think you can dance"!
Before anyone crucifies me for that, I'm a web application enthusiast and critic, and i can authoritatively tell you that aside Mike Majic, the voting system is the worst thing about the show. Its not secured and adequate and can be easily manipulated, if you are technologist, you would understand what am saying and can easily check it out, that is a conversation for the tech forum by the way. Its been an interesting show for me and i look forward to season 2 already but without Mike Rubbish or Majic or whatever.
so long Jodie
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by molluma(f): 10:57am On May 02, 2007
my Gawd makin u voted 4 jerry.as in u like her singin or her cute butt or both.do u really think she can sing?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Suthu(f): 11:07am On May 02, 2007
I still don't understand what happened on Monday night shocked - could somebody please help me understand embarassed. When I think about it I can't help but whip cry!

Jodie, my Jodie. I'm so sorry you had to leave sad. Nevertheless, you ARE the best thing that has ever happened to West African Idols. I pray that an international recording label can turn Nigeria upside down looking for you and ur talent, my dear. Don't give on ur dreams - u r the BEST thing that can ever happen to the music industry. The song You raised me up by Westlife has helped heal, it might help you as well kiss.

I just want to say this now before everyone. Monday night was the last time I watched West African Idols. With Jodie out, there's honestly no point of watching that show. The only time I will watch is when they announce who's been eliminated "got the least votes". And I'm going to vote very seriously now, but for Jerrilyn. I'll make sure I spend the whole day voting for her and getting people voting for her. With Jodie out, I have just realized that the person who will win that competition will be a joke! Before you know it Timi will also be out. So I'm just going to help them achieve their goal, which is to have the "WORST African Idol", Jerrilyn. That show is not worth watching anymore angry.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 02, 2007
Suthu

There is NO point wasting your voting, Celtel makes the profit and with people like MAKIN who posted earlier who can vote multiple times online via technological rigging. Why spend hard-earned dough?

@MAKIN
well done

You helped reduce the competition to mediocrity just for the sake of it
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tng(f): 11:07am On May 03, 2007
Please remember that u are voting for those you want to stay.Even in the midst of mediocrity lets keep the good ones- Timi,Omawunmi and Eric.No votes for jerrilyn please, temitayo we can do nothing about if what i read above is true.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by ikejoe(m): 5:01pm On May 03, 2007
plsss wats d site for west african idol?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 5:34am On May 04, 2007
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:01pm On May 06, 2007
Tonights show, Jerrilyn first song, no words can describe how flat and awful she was. Second song, Christina Aguilera's song, surprised me . She was actually good, still do not like her tone of voice, but she was on key, and her best performance yet.
Temitayo, first performance, flat, horrible, Second performance as bad, she is the second worst on this show.
Timi, Timi, Timi, first song Flying without Wings, good, put his own unique flavour and sound to it, made it into a good song, even though it is a song I don't particularly like. Thought it was the best of the night until, Second song, Michael Bolton , How am I supposed to live without you, left me stunned and with my heart racing. What a performer, what a singer, what passion, what style. Blew me away. Re-watched it 6 times already. Powerful awesome performance. In his own league.
Omawumi, first song, a Mary Blige song, I think, very disappointing, sounded flat, in my opinion her worst performance ever. Second song, I will survive, she was good with attitude, sassy, very good, a distant second however, to Timi
Eric, first song, boring, dull , Seal's Kiss from a rose, not good at all, second song, Lionel Richie, tried to be a performer, all over the place, his voice as nasally as ever, I just don't get him, his voice or his performances, or for that matter, his supposed good looks which I do not see at all.

I have loved Timi from his first audition and nothing has changed. He is a one in a million performer, I really believe he could hold his own internationally. I also believe that American Idol has never had a performer as good as Timi in 6 seasons.

I would have loved a final with Jodie/Timi just to make it exciting, but Timi is my guy and has had my votes from the beginning.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 5:00am On May 07, 2007
Who is likely to win?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 10:48am On May 07, 2007
@9ja4eva,
Prepare your mind for the worst!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 12:11pm On May 07, 2007
Who goes out? Hmmm, let's see.

Logic says Eric.

Reason: Timi and Omawumi were very good ( second songs).

Temitayo and Jerrilyn have a voting mafia cartel behind them ( for now).

But when did logic ever apply to West African Idols?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.