Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,512 members, 7,816,237 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47642 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:44am On Apr 09, 2007
My feelings on last nights show

Timi, not the best choice of song for his style, but did a great performance.
Jerrilyn, slightly better than last week, I don't like her baby style voice, it actually gets on my nerves, and she is one of the two weakest ones left
Eric, I also thought he sounded nasally, with some good moments thrown in. I find him a little too smooth and not genuine in his performances. I also do not see the good looks everyone is talking about. He has a bad smile or his teeth are not great.
Uche, erratic performance, some good moments and some poor moments. I like him but he has yet to find a song that has really done him justice
Temitayo, I think is a great entertainer, which covers the fact that she is not such a brilliant singer, That song of Over the Rainbow did not have nearly enough emotion or tenderness in it for me.
Joan, brilliant voice, but lacks confidence and so doesn't quite project enough of her personality into her performances, but she has wonderful potential. She just has to believe in herself
Mercy, vocals and performance wise not good at all. She looked awkward and unnatural on the stage and her phrasing of the strong was terrible. She is in trouble tonight.
Jodie very good, however, I have heard that song on Idols done by a few artists and I think Jodie lacked a bit of soul in her voice. I still think she does not make enough eye contact with her audience and performs very much into herself. She needs to learn how to connect better with her audience and she will be excellent.
Omawumi surprised me, her voice is very good, she has a lot of class and her delivery is always good. I enjoyed her doing a slow number for once.

Best of the night for me were Timi, Omuwami, Joan and Jodie .

Going home Mercy or Jerrilyn, but I actually think it will be Mercy.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Orikinla(m): 2:49pm On Apr 09, 2007
Vote For the best singer-Jodie!

The voting numbers are as follows:
---------------------------------
Nigeria - 33351

Ghana
Areeba Network - 1444
Kasapa, Tigo and One Touch Networks - 15626

Sierra Leone, Liberia, Togo, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe,
Swaziland and Malawi - 15626

Senegal
Orange - 50050
Tigo - 67167

Mali
Orange - 7574

Cameroon - 8704

South Africa 34626

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 6:10pm On Apr 09, 2007
Alright now I've watched the performances. The participants really disappointed me today. They were all not up to average. The "Old school" theme isn't for them at all. I still felt Jodie's performance though, she's easily the best and I see her in the top 3. Timi and Eric were OK, Uche was great but the song he chose is not such a winner. Omawumi thrilled me when she sang a slow song. She started well but went off for some time after the modulation. She was able to get back on key, and that's remarkable. Temitayo was just there, Mercy & Joan , good voices and less than average performance, Jerilyn, not impressed although she performed better than her previous performances.
The judges disappointed me also. Most of their judgments were off! Especially Dan. I don't know what came into them yesterday.
I predict Jerilyn, Joan or Mercy going out. We'll see what happens 8pm tonight. My fingers are crossed.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 09, 2007
well joan is out

its just a shame

what's jerrilyn still doing there
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by chinesedoll(f): 7:26am On Apr 10, 2007
jodie jodie jodie

i predict jodie to be d winner of dis idol tin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 8:23am On Apr 10, 2007
LOL

Heard Jerrilyn is aite.Ibituro had a great performance though.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 8:51am On Apr 10, 2007
I think by now, Jerillyn scaling the hurdle again has shown she has a fan base. and the facts which can not be forgotten
[list]
[li]She is the only non-Nigerian remaining in a West African Competition[/li]
[li]She has a very sorrowful story to tell, and more emotions displayed on stage when its drop time.[/li]
[/list]
I suspect a syndicate is voting for her repeatedly.
Joan has a good voice but the magic wasn't really there.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 9:19am On Apr 10, 2007
LOL

Yeah i think so too.Hmm Liberia isnt in West Africa.Is it?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 9:21pm On Apr 10, 2007
i cried when joan was announced as the one leaving last night.
i really liked her, i mean, she has a breathtaking voice.
but her performance the previous night was really below par, her worst and it proved to be her undoing. i didn't help matters either because i actually forgot to vote for her, Imagine!
well jerrilyn is really the one to go, i dont know why i dont like her. imagine her saying "strange things do happen" when she was asked how she felt hearing onyeka say she is the one with weakest voice.
abeg make she go jooo.
since joan is gone, i guess i'll start rooting for jodie and perhaps timi.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 11:26pm On Apr 10, 2007
Timi has a good chance of winning.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 11:44pm On Apr 10, 2007
bagoma:

i cried when joan was announced as the one leaving last night.

@Bagoma, why did you cry? Pele o! But it's a shame that Joan had to go, although her performance was not the best. Her voice was quite good though. Where is LawyerChap? Wanna see what he has to say on the performances. My own review of the peformances is available here. Please read and leave a comment.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by evasofrank: 11:15am On Apr 11, 2007
Well,

I shed no tears for no one. I mean the contestants did not impress me at all on Sunday, they ought to know better. This show is not new and they ought to know that you need to stun the viewers at every given opportunity. Of course it seems like jodie is gonna win because of her energy on stage and the fact that she has a good voice but the truth is that they are making it so much easier to vote her as the winner because they are not pulling their weights.

I mean what sort of performances and vocals are those. I think what they need is a rude awakening and the eviction is doing just that. Yes Joan has very good vocals but that performance was nothing short of woeful and what did Uche think he was doing vocally and otherwise. Their choices of songs are just pathetic.

Let's not undermine the status of Idols. This may be the first time they are doing it in West Africa but this is not the first time the show is being done. Even South African Idols Season 1 was much better than this and it has nothing to do with the level of development in the country. This is plain talent and having the star factor. So far, no one has shown any star factor which is why it seems jodie is the best. All i hope for her is that she doesn't get too comfy feeling she is the best or else she will be boot out faster than their commercials.

Have a good day y'all!!!
grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 12:28pm On Apr 11, 2007
I didn't watch the Idols South Africa, so I don't know how to compare the two. I think it's the Old School theme which did the contestants in. Last week was much better. Let's see what happens next week (they'll be singing new age songs). BTW, Uche did a Nat King Cole song and he did it well. I hope you realize that Nat King Cole's songs are not the easiest to sing. You can easily go off key if you don't know what you're doing. You need to know how to flow along Jazz Scales and all the dynamics. In my own opinion, Uche tried. When we look at relativity, I think he had the best performance.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 9:55pm On Apr 11, 2007
@ icon,
i think i agree with evesofrank on uche.
to me it was a poor performance. with his kind of voice he shouldn't have gone for that kind of song.
Icon:

BTW, Uche did a Nat King Cole song and he did it well. I hope you realize that Nat King Cole's songs are not the easiest to sing. You can easily go off key if you don't know what you're doing. You need to know how to flow along Jazz Scales and all the dynamics.
the more reason he should have given the song a wide berth, don't you think?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kaydee(m): 9:57pm On Apr 11, 2007
Joan's exit is tragic. Yeah,where is Lawyer chap?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 12, 2007
yeah about jerrilyn

that girl needs to leave quickly before we have a repeat of big brother on our hands.

No hard feelings but this is a competition of talent , TALENT where the best man wins

Abeg people its a competition not a reality show
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 1:15am On Apr 12, 2007
Salsera, fully agreed. Jerilyn was lucky enough to be in a "below average" group. All the group 1 performers were better than her. She's tried thus far, I guess she'll be going next. Even Onyeka said she's the one with the weakest voice.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 7:20am On Apr 12, 2007
Don't forget Eric, he seemed to lack substance initially but somehow he's gaining a fan base especially among the ladies.

Watch him carefully when he performs he tends to appeal to them with smiles and gazes and by trying to make some sort of contact. ! And it's working. And the other girl who shakes, shivers and gyrates a lot on stage. Her voice never did wow me, but she seems to be getting better.

That said. Jerrilyn needs to go. I don't like her expression when she's not singing, she appeals to people's emotions by having this hangdog expression on her face, like a seriously maltreated househelp.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by rock2(m): 6:26pm On Apr 12, 2007
prof ade:

she appeals to people's emotions by having this hangdog expression on her face, like a seriously maltreated househelp.

OMG!

Thats totally correct.

I don't think you could have described it any better.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by tamia(f): 6:28pm On Apr 12, 2007
how come i didn't see cameroon as one of the west african countries? y'all better recognize!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 9:22pm On Apr 12, 2007
thats probably because camerounians cant sing a note! tongue wink smiley cheesy (joking)
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 9:36pm On Apr 12, 2007
tamia:

how come i didn't see cameroon as one of the west african countries? y'all better recognize!!
Obviously, you're cameroonian! The auditions were held only in Ghana and Nigeria (Why, I don't know). But we had Liberians in the top 24, even though there was no audition in Liberia.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 10:13pm On Apr 12, 2007
No Ghanians in the show?9ja gat talent in all areas.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 12, 2007
@prof ade

apt description

she looks like she's about to be scolded; she's been using this 'pity me' expression for too long. Ohters have been through worse and come out of it and you would never know.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 12:39am On Apr 13, 2007
I agree with previous posts about Jerrilyn.

But i guess she has a fan base that's why she is still in the competition. and people are being sentimental.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 7:11am On Apr 13, 2007
But for how long? I mean after a while we have to reward talent, or else the whole thing will become a joke. If she were the best then I wouldn't mind her winning.

Anyway let's see what happens sunday/monday.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Suthu(f): 10:53am On Apr 16, 2007
I don't know about you guys but I feel that Omuwami was at her best last night. Of course leaving the room for better than the best. There's always a room for improvement. Jodie, you don't have to ask, she choose a wrong song but hey, she turned it to something else - you can count on her all the time. That Beyonce never gonna be chick - Jerrylin, what on earth was she wearing? She made it even worse when she was going on about working it out. Her work it out's were all dull & dead! You can wear Beyonce's outfit my dear, but you sure can never wear her voice. She also knows that she might be cut off tonight - she's expecting it! Mercy must take it easy. Eric needs to wipe that smile off his face and start getting serious with singing, because it sure won't win him the competition. His not there for charms! The other guy's voices are strong. I give Eric 2 more Sundays and then he's out!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 11:14am On Apr 16, 2007
For me last night there was Timi and then there were the rest. I thought his performance was world class. He blew me away.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by flintstone: 6:29pm On Apr 16, 2007
mike magic? LOL! his magic aint working @ all!
does it mean we dont av interesting anchors in naija?
i think he should do a ground work on d likes of ryan seacrest and sammi south african idols anchor guy.
d guys squeaky voice and boring and bland personality is affecting d show seriously
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 7:05pm On Apr 16, 2007
Whos up this week?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 8:33pm On Apr 16, 2007
Uche has been voted off shocked.

He was in the bottom 2 with Jerilyn and was not as lucky.

Looks like Jerilyn has nine lives. three gone, six to go
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 10:47pm On Apr 16, 2007
I was really pained to see Uche go. That guy's got some talent , and he's way better than Jerilyn. Jerilyn is using all she can to make sure she remains in the competition and her tactic this week was her provocative dressing and butt movements. Mike Majic, not a good choice of presenter at all. He needs to loosen up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.