Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,277 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) (47643 Views)

Airforce 1 On STV Right Now, Nigerian Idols season V / Pepsi Nigerian Idols / Dare Art Alade On American Idols? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 11:03pm On Apr 16, 2007
Icon:

I was really pained to see Uche go. That guy's got some talent , and he's way better than Jerilyn. Jerilyn is using all she can to make sure she remains in the competition and her tactic this week was her provocative dressing and butt movements. Mike Majic, not a good choice of presenter at all. He needs to loosen up.

you are right.

I watched clips of thier performances online and Uche wasn't bad.

I dont want to be Jerilyn bashing but she did improve this week and put in a lot of effort.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 12:03am On Apr 17, 2007
Huh Uche is talented.Na Jerilyn story dey sell am maybe.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 1:03am On Apr 17, 2007
@Imani. That's true. Jerilyn tried more this week than her previous performances, but she went off key for a little while. I also believe she's not being real. She shouts and shakes during her performances but after her performances quickly reverts back to the innocent look and voice. I wonder why she does that. My review of the performances this week is available on my blog. Please read and leave a comment. Thank you.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 6:56am On Apr 17, 2007
Idols is turning into a farce as far as I am concerned. For instance , the show is taped on a friday but the impression is given that it's live on sunday, so I am told. If so, then probably the eviction is not on monday.

If the above is true then how do we know that our votes really count?

As someone said, not to be a Jerrilyn basher but the fact still remains that Uche's performance in my opinion was better than Jerrilyn's. Her provocative outfit and mechanical booty- shaking- wanna- be not withstanding. And the girl can pretend!

At this rate who gets sent off next? Jodie, Timi, Omawumi or Eric?

Perhaps Jerrilyn's advantage is that she is the only non-nigerian left, but for me it's beginning to resemble Nigeria's political landscape.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 12:20pm On Apr 17, 2007
The Top8 spectacular was quite spectacular, with a couple of spectacularly bad performances (more than a couple, really) and a couple of spectacularly good ones (not up to a couple, really). Omawumi showed class with a perfect rendition of Faith Hill’s “Cry” that showed a lack of creativity in that she didn’t try to vary the song from it’s original format. Come to think about it, Omawumi never tries to make a song her own. She always renders it just the way the original singer did it and relies on the sheer beauty of her voice and her ability to hit and hold some truly heartstopping notes to stun and sway her voting audience. And it werks because once she pulls that sustained high note on you, you’re going to remember to vote for her.

Now, am I getting immune to Jodie or are her performances getting progressively weaker? Make no mistake, Jodie brings it each week and I still think she’s the strongest contender for the title, but I watched her performance of Natasha Bedingfield’s “These Words” without getting any gooseflesh. Not one solitary goosebump all performance long. That’s so unlike Jodie. But if you look at it, you’ll need to go back to Jodie’s Top80 performance to see her at her very best. Each subsequent performance has been outstanding but a little less impressive than the last. However her willingness to take on that song (which is so not a style that suits her) shows her depth as a performer, and I think even if she was given a fuji song to do, she’d do it with aplomb. That having been said, she still brought it with that performance but for once, it wasn’t the performance of the night.

Fine boy Eric stepped up to the mic with a soulless performance of Craig David’s “Walking Away”. I’ve heard better renditions of that song in Karaoke bars in Benin City and I was sorely disappointed because it seems like Eric is making the same mistake James Brendan made in the Top24; it is not good strategy to rely on looks to get by on Idols. It’s about vocal talent and Eric’s performance had three or four really dry patches in a generally uninspiring performance. He may not last out another two Mondays.

Mercy Mercy Me. Constantly up for eviction, Mercy seems to be the contestant under the most pressure to perform. That’s because we know she’s got a voice and she’s got the power to go with it. But power is nothing without control and therein (I think) lies her problem. She appears to go for the high notes unnecessarily, almost because she knows she can. So she takes the song to places it wasn’t intended to go in the name of making it her own. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t. On Sunday it worked reasonably well, though she did give me a bit of a scare singing Alicia Keys “If I ain’t got you.” Everyone knows to steer clear of Alicia Keys but Mercy took it on and redeemed herself somewhat from her last two performances. Some parts of her performance still sounded like an unripe orange but her form on the night was closer to her unforgettable rendition of “Nothing cmpares to you.”

It’s confirmed, Jerrilyn’s butt now has its own zip code. But unfortunately Idols is not about booty-shaking. And truth be told, Jerrilyn does have the weakest voice of the lot. But she did a very credible job with the first stanza of Beyonce’s “Work it out” but the butt movements that accompanied the chorus left her breathless and so she couldn’t sustain the key on which she started and so went completely off key. That’s her cardinal sin. If she can only sing on-key throughout the competition, her story will keep her on, and now she’s also discovered that butt (which I think is what kept her in this week. I know I would like to see some more of it). Also she’s the only non-Nigerian in a West African competition so she’s likely to be seen by the rest of Africa as their answer to Nigeria’s dominance and they will keep voting her. Don’t be surprised if she’s still here two Mondays from now.

Temitayo will be in the Top3 because with the voting format of Idols, someone with a sufficiently determined mother can actually buy the Idols title. After her ordinary performance of Christina Aguilera’s “I turn to you” she was so cocksure that she would still be on the show come next week. If that doesn’t say “voting syndicate” I don’t know what does. She did an average rendition of the diva’s classic and expectedly messed up a couple of tricky key changes. The moral: Avoid Divas. They’re too difficult to copy and if you try to get original with a diva’s song, you’ll offend people who’ve come to love the original. Either way, it’s a no win situation. Except of course you have a sufficiently determined mother.

Timi came with his A-game on Sunday night singing Clay Aiken’s “Don’t let the sun go down on me.” I was speechless from the first note. He connected with the audience in a phenomenal way, particularly with the knee slide with the microphone stand true rocker style. His voice fitted the song like a glove and he managed just the right inflections of feeling to give the song a life different from what all the great artistes who have done this song managed to give it. It was obviously the performance of the night. Watch out for Timi. He could be in the Top3 as well.

Uche, for me, should never have made the top10. Great voice, deep gravelly contra-alto that could sell a lot of records. But they would have to be the right kind of songs for his voice, otherwise he’d fall flat on his face. Like he did on Sunday. And, is it just me, or does he sound a bit like a televangelist leading some secular praise and worship session? Anyway, his performance of “Lonely no more” by Rob Thomas for me was totally unconvincing and I wasn’t surprised to see him in the bottom two with Jerrilyn. I can't quite put a finger on what rubbed Africa the wrong way in Uche's performance, perhaps wrong inflections of tonal variations took the melody in a completely unexpected direction and upset the purists among us, but I honestly thought Jerrilyn was leaving us, her performance being slightly worse than Uche’s. I guess it’s tough luck for Uche, not having a butt to shake and pull in votes. Anyway, our thoughts and prayers go with Uche as he tries to make his way towards his dreams.

Haven’t been able to post as often as I used to, but I’ve been, like, totally swamped at work. Thanks for asking after me, it makes me feel appreciated and I deeply appreciate that. Thanks Y’all.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Suthu(f): 12:55pm On Apr 17, 2007
Africa! What on earth happened last night? angryI thought we had the deserving Idols covered, What happened with Uche? Obviously he didn't get enough votes. But, how? Who voted for Jerrylin instead of Uche? cryCome on guys, don't turn such a wonderful show into a joke oh! I was so disappointed last night. embarassedEven Uche himself, he didn't see that coming. I mean, even when he was told he wasn't safe, he kept his cool cool. I'm sure Jerrylin had a shock of her life time too shocked. ;DI'm glad such thing won't happen again smiley. Remember, your vote is your voice! Keep it real guys - please wink.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 2:05pm On Apr 17, 2007
lawyerchap,

Nice to have you back.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Imani(f): 4:35pm On Apr 17, 2007
@ lawyerchap

Good analysis

@ Icon,

I checked out your blog but was unable to leave a comment as i couldn't find the comment box. I must be from the village grin.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 5:17pm On Apr 17, 2007
LawyerChap! Where were you last week
I totally agree with your analysis of Jodie. It felt all "normal" and there was no magic there. Timi was the Man that night. I agree with your views about Eric too. His only help in the song was the modulation he threw in, and of course his looks. Great summary.
@Imani, thanks for reading my blog. The comments can be accessed through the "Post a comment" link at the bottom left of the page. We are all from the village LOL grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 9:02pm On Apr 17, 2007
the show is fast turning into a farce!
i mean, jerrilyn has no business being in the top 24 to start with and to still have her in the top 7 is giving me nightmares.
the rest of africa shuld please wake up and do the right thing. i want to believe that at this stage, no nigerian is voting for her, booty and all.
she is no innocent, its clear to see when she performs.
whats her bleeping story anyway? it aint pathetic to me, ok maybe a little at the begining but its worn off because the jerriln i see on stage clearly isnt bowed over by whatever had happened to her.
she needs to leave and leave fast!!
my top three of the week is timi, omawunmi, mercy/jodie (tie) in that order.

as for mike magic, from his name to his odd-sounding voice down to his very dry jokes, i thought it was just me at first, i never can figure out why he was chosen as the host of the show, but i guess its too late, we're stuck with him for the long haul.

having said this though, i think he is actually improving somewhat, at least he did, this last episode or what do u think?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 12:55pm On Apr 18, 2007
I am still totally blown away by Timi's performance of Don't Let the Sun go down on me. It was world class an unbelievable performance. I have predicted him from his audition to be the winner. He only has one competitor in my opinion and that is Jodie. I am not so sure her voice is as great as her delivery of her song. I have always loved a voice like Timi, soulful, passionate and I do prefer male singers. While not doing so many vocal gymnatics as the girls do, a male voice cuts deeper into my soul.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by makin(m): 12:37pm On Apr 19, 2007
Truth is Mike Majic or (Magic whatever his name is) is making the competition a bore.
He lacks the bite and edge to carry the show.
If given the chance, he should be voted off.
I pray we don't see his face come season 2.
Other boring stuff on the show includes;
Jodie's you-u-u-u-u-u,
Jerrilyn's bottom 2 spot,
Mercy's bent neck,
Eric's karaoke rendition of every song.
And to vote more than once is as easy as drinking coke, all you need to vote and revote 100times over; is an hour of your time.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by flintstone: 1:46pm On Apr 22, 2007
cheesy @ makin, u r funny, but damn so right.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by cabali(m): 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2007
Is this boring and silly-arse show still being aired??

And prominent people watching sad
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 22, 2007
@cabali
like you don't know the show is still on tongue

did anyone watch tonite's performances

I have never really been a Timi fan, but I liked tonite's performance

and I really like Temitayo, I just wish she had a more impressive voice
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 8:27pm On Apr 22, 2007
At this rate, it's going to be Timi all the way. That young man is very very good.

I wonder who's going tomorrow?
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 8:30pm On Apr 22, 2007
Hey Salsera, I watched it o!!! Timi had the best performance tonight for sure. followed by Mercy (she really surprised me tonight). Eric surprised me too. Bottom 2 for me were Temitayo and Jerilyn.
Abeg people, make una vote o! Don't let last week's mistake repeat itself. Uche didn't deserve to go just then.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by profade1(m): 8:44pm On Apr 22, 2007
Icon,

read ur blog. who do u think is leaving tomorrow?

ps. nice blog.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 9:01pm On Apr 22, 2007
Prof, thanks for visiting my blog! I don't know who'll leave o. If it were left to me, I'll say Jerilyn this week, Temitayo next week, then we'll have the real singers left in the competition. Jerilyn is trying but truth be told, she's not up to the present standard. There are people in the top 24 who were much better than her. Temitayo is OK but her voice is just not "Wow". Here are the numbers for voting.

Mercy - 2
Omawumi - 10
Timi - 7
Jerilyn - 3
Eric - 9
Jodie - 8
Temitayo - 1

Text any of these numbers to 33351 to vote. Voting ends 12 noon tomorrow. PLEASE VOTE O!!!!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by thabs: 9:21pm On Apr 22, 2007
Tonight's show, there was Timi and there was Timi, sorry I cannot remember anyone else after or before. He blew my mind, his voice, his stage presence, charisma, his emotional connection with the audience and the tv. Two weeks in a row he has delivered outstanding performances. Not only do I love his voice, but the way he delivers a song, it is spellbinding to watch. I jumped up and down screaming during his song. It was an experience.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 11:11pm On Apr 22, 2007
@Icon

Bros, there was Timi and there was Timi

when the top 10 first started I was impressed but the last 2 performances have sealed his place in the last 2

just waiting for Jodie to give another phenomenal performance, she's been my favorite until Timi picked just the right songs.
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 11:49pm On Apr 22, 2007
Any link to watch dem?Please someone post the link
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by kaydee(m): 1:00am On Apr 23, 2007
Timi is the S.I unit. Eric confirmed that.

Waiting on LawyerChap.I'm watching the show through you. grin
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by 9ja4eva: 1:17am On Apr 23, 2007
I dnt get oh
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 23, 2007
@9ja4eva

go to google.com,ng
type west africa idol it should take you straight to the idols west africa site
surf through the site , there are video links for the performances
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 5:52pm On Apr 23, 2007
@9ja4eva. It's usually at this link - http://www.mnetafrica.com/idols/videogallery/default.asp
But I don't know why they don't put up the videos until 2 days after the performances. They'll put it up tomorrow, I believe. You can view previous performances there too.
@salsera, who's going today o I hope , goes. You know who I mean!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 23, 2007
@Icon

you should know that , Africa is defending jerrilyn

she's not in the bottom 3

you see all this Jerrilyn bashing is causing a BBN repeat phenomenum as it happened then it took a combined effort of fans of other housemates to remove joseph(wuz that his name?) . We have to do sumfin quickly before jerrilyn win this competition and in the end she know sell records

Its either Eric or Mercy
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Icon(m): 7:28pm On Apr 23, 2007
MERCY DON GO O!!!!
WHAT THE , ? I'M AT A LOSS FOR WORDS!!!
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 23, 2007
its official

mercy is out

its official there's a JFC 9 jerrilyn fan club

I'm sure they will make themselves known soon enough wink
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by viperman: 7:51pm On Apr 23, 2007
Timi has to win this or else i will label this show a fraud.

The Kid = showbiz
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by bagoma(f): 9:44pm On Apr 23, 2007
i've given up on the fact that jerrilyn will leave the show anytime soon. its not gonna happen, so i better take my mind off that.
the rest of africa i think is voting for her though its glaring that she shouldnt even have been in the top 10. what can anyone do? sh!t happens!

i wasnt surprised it was mercy, somehow i knew it'd be her after it was down to the three of them; eric, omawunmi and mercy.
temitayo isnt such a great singer for me.
jodie's voice isnt that great but she really can sing/perform.
timi has picked up these past 2 weeks. and with the way he's going he just might win.
i predict the last 3 will be jodie, timi and jerrilyn(though for me that will be a living nightmare)
Re: West African Idols: Season 1 (2007) by lawyerchap(m): 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2007
Sunday’s Top7 spectacular was a potent mix of theatrics, bad sound equipment and tears from Nana Abrewa. Truly compelling stuff. It was a night when the contestants all performed passably including our favourite target for bashing, Miss you-know-who from you-know-where. But as usual there was a standout performance that made every other performance pale into insignificance. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves here.

Mercy was first up singing Stevie Wonder’s Part Time Lover. There’s always a small flutter in my stomach whenever Mercy steps up to the mic, because I know she’s got a great voice but could very easily undo herself by being overenthusiastic with her vocals. Singing the great disco classic from the blind maestro, she kept it under control for the first stanza but by the time she got to the chorus, a series of alternating high and low key changes lost the melody for me. It appeared to be working for the audience though, probably because the song is such an all time fave. But when she showed that the key changes were scripted in a bid to make the song her own, she won me over, bringing the song home quite nicely.

Omawumi was next doing Gloria Estefan’s “Rhythm of the night.” Boy, did she look the part. Red shoes and all. She came prepared to go the whole hog, complete with the salsa dance moves and Miss Estefan’s mannerisms. The resultant performance was very pleasing on the eye, I mean, Omawumi is definitely not a bad looking female, and she does know how to move that very appealing body of hers. But the performance detracted from the singing; we saw her but hardly heard the delicious voice that we’ve come to know and love. It wasn’t her best vocal performance but for theatrics it ranked right up there with her Top24 performance of “That don’t impress me much.”

Timi. Oh Timi. From the moment Mike Majic announced that he would be singing Lionel Richie’s “Stuck on you” I knew Africa was in for a real treat seeing as it seemed like the perfect kind of song for his voice. But nothing prepared me for what the boy from Bayelsa was about to show us. The first note sounded like a milk-rich cappuccino sliding all warm and silky down your throat. And he kept it there, warm rich undertones highlighting a perfectly modulated rendition of the timeless masterpiece. He was already looking good for the performance of the night but he was not done with us yet. Not by a long shot. As he wound down his performance, singing with pure soul he reached down to the front row and picked out a young lady in white whom he tenderly led up the steps onto the stage. He gave her a slow twirl singing to her all the while and folded her into an embrace on his final note. It was pure dynamite. And Planet One exploded. The audience was in a frenzy of adoration. The judges were on their feet applauding hard. Abrewa Nana was beside herself with emotion. Whether Timi had scripted the move or if he had decided on it on the spur of the moment, it was powerful enough to reduce Nana to tears. It was very moving indeed to see a seasoned musician moved to tears by someone who was completely unknown two months ago. Trust me, everyone who saw that performance will be voting for Timi. That gives Timi the performance of the night two weeks in a row.

Jerrilyn came to do (horror of horrors) Celine Dion’s “All by myself” and I steeled myself for a nail biting session of off key notes and screeching vocals. But little Miss Liberia held her own quite well against the Canadian diva. Aside from not being able to quite match the phenomenal range of the songstress, Jerrilyn valiantly tackled the song with her game face on. She tried to keep it as simple as possible, only once venturing to try a sustained high note a la Omawumi which she pulled off quite satisfactorily. Jerrilyn is still the weakest vocalist amongst the Top7 but beef aside, on the night she did a credible job of Celine Dion’s all by myself. Hated the outfit, for once.

Eric came on a mission to redeem his karaoke performance of last week with The Fugees’ “Killing Me Softly.” With such a popular song he was taking a risk, he would either get it right and the crowd would be behind him all the way, or he would lose them if he tried anything too fancy. Remember the lesson on divas. But his suave good looks and charisma appear to be too hot to handle for the live audience at Planet One as they rocked with him to what was really a tepid performance of the song. Only marginally better than last week’s performance, it still was good enough to keep him in Idols for another week. Apparently, the live audience at Planet One fails, refuses or neglects to vote when they leave Planet One otherwise Eric shouldn’t have been in the bottom three.

Jodie came to do Tina Turner’s greatest hit “What’s love got to do with it” and she got into character with a hot tight short number that would have done Miss Turner proud. I have never really considered Jodie as sexy, I don’t know why. But the dress still didn’t change my mind. Please guys, is Jodie sexy or am I weird not to find her attractive? Anyway, she did her business with her usual panache but suddenly in the middle of the song she went berserk. She flew into a flurry of vocal gymnastics that I considered quite unnecessary at the time I was watching. (I usually post after watching the performances repeatedly but this week they haven’t uploaded the videos yet) I put this down to pressure that Timi is mounting on her for the title. Timi was the star at Top8 level, a position she had occupied every week all competition long, so I guess she reacted by trying to do something really outstanding but if you ask me, I’d say she went just a wee bit overboard. But in any case, Jodie is pure gold, we all know the gal can sing. I think she should quit trying too hard to impress us and just sing. She’ll do better that way.

Temitayo came to sing the 1983 cult –hit by Irene Cara “What a Feeling” the theme song for the movie Flashdance. Another passable performance from the second worst singer on Idols, I’ve said Temitayo will be in the top3 because I think there’s a syndicate behind her. It would be an even worse travesty if she won idols than if Jerrilyn did.

I worked overnight through the weekend so I conked out at about 5pm today and didn’t wake up until 9. I missed the results show but I learnt Mercy is finally out. Too bad. I actually thought she’d still be with us. We’ll miss the frown on her singing face as well as the throaty power she brought to her songs. She’s a great singer who only needs coaching to excel on stage. I hope she keeps her dream alive.

Jerrilyn I thought did a pretty good job with the Celine Dion song, but I agree that there is a syndicate behind her too. There’s absolutely no other explanation for her logic-defying run at Idols.

Okay guys, that’s it. Let’s keep it real with the voting. Please vote for talent we can be proud of. See y’all again next week.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply)

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim / Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.