Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,260 members, 7,829,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare (15516 Views)

How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs / Bankers To Be Sacked For Introducing Customers To MMM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by taurustm(m): 10:16am On Aug 27, 2016
For the very first time i had worked for an employer i had known that the best thing one can ever achieve is to be the boss of himself. Even as a permanent staff; nothing is guaranteed. They gives very little but demands very high. They'll expect you to do what's greatly impossible for them to do. I felt as if i was been used and vowed within myself to ever be my own boss. I thank God for this experience, what it had thought me and where's he's taking me to...
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by bigblackbooty(f): 10:17am On Aug 27, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
many graduate now want to work in bank..... they think say he easy... i think if u work in a bank are a big boy.. for me i ave many offer to work ina bank... i decline am fast fast... i dont want to be a slavery to them[/b]
Really, u don't want 2 be a slavery to them. Abeg if u nor fit use English use pidgin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by ohmnetwork1: 10:19am On Aug 27, 2016
Don't even think of such work places. Heard d story of my present acct manager at Fidelity. .... He left Diamond bcus the targets were to much for him to meet up with then meant dsame in Fidelity. I pity d guy that I had to be his psychologist, calling him for three days just to make sure he was alright.

2 Likes

Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by HAH: 10:21am On Aug 27, 2016
Golden days of banking are gone, when I started working in a bank in 2001 bank were the most sought after job in Nigeria, my salary was 100k monthly then federal govt lvel 8 were paid 18k and NNPC new entry were paid 25k.

There was no much pressure as the target we had was a branch target and everyone works toward it together and the branch always surpassed it being in Abuja and public sector fund was everywhere.

Almost every year I got promoted and our salary also got reviewed annually, by 2005 I was SBO that year I bought my first house in Abuja for 9M I also got married that year to my lovely wife, I bought her a car immediately after our wedding.

In 2005 bank were asked to shore up their capital to 25billion naira, my bank easily got and a lot did not, there were about 90 banks in nigeria then but after the soludo consolidation only 20 survived, a lot of banker became unemployed and our bank took a lot of them we started branching out like crazy almost on every major street the bank became too big and the devil came in, individual target was introduced and that wasn't a big problem only one of the ministry I manage gave me my target to cut long story short , by 2009 I was a DM and made a branch manager at the age of 33 suddenly our MD was sacked and new MD was appointed by Sanusi the new CBN governorm

Depositors started becoming weary of our bank and we started losing deposit, this led to stagnation no promotion and our salaries were reduced too to reduce overhead of the bank, life became unbearable as the mention of MPR make me crazy, I became restless and developed hypertension at a tender age, my staff are also not happy due to the pressure because of the presure on us all but life went on, one day in 2012 I came to the office and found half of my branch crying that they could not log on to the system, I tried logging on and I logged on, those that couldn't log on were sacked I became depressed the next day I wrote my resignation letter and I submitted it in the HR, I cannot continue with this heartbreak.

I immediately went to my friends government for employment but how wrong was i, as all of gave me promises that did not materialized till today, after almost two years of job searching and living on rent I collect I decided to move on with my life I decided to be an entrepreneur, now I have poultry, I also do real estate, farming and I just finished building my bakery.

My greatest joy now am not under any pressure, I work at my own pace though I still don't earn what I use to earn in the bank as I pay myself a paltry 150k monthly but my joy is seeing those I employ and pay them to and everytime I think of what to do next as a business man, am now 40 and still have a whole life before me, my friends in the bank are still complaining anytime we meet those they were blaming me when I left the bank without any work in hand.

I have nothing but glory to God. And my prayers are with struggling young bankers to also find their feet in this struggling times

Cheers

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:25am On Aug 27, 2016
ok ma na sabi english pass oya come teach me english na
bigblackbooty:

Really, u don't want 2 be a slavery to them. Abeg if u nor fit use English use pidgin
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by Nobody: 10:35am On Aug 27, 2016
lincDzinc:
In 5 years you were a manager?

Yes. In fact in 4 years I relieved a Manager during his leave. A year later I had my branch. I was very good at my job too.

Lol. How long do you think it took Tony Elumelu and many others in the defunct STB to become an M.D. of a bank at 34 and the others -ED's.

I was even slow then.

2 Likes

Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by HotKween: 10:43am On Aug 27, 2016
Houseofglam7:
Banking na glorified slavery na
Most of us fit feed these so called bankers for a year without blinking angry
Lasisi69, na lie I talk?
Na lie jor. Lol.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by socrates007: 10:46am On Aug 27, 2016
Enhen no wonder my neigbour.who took up a job in a bank grew gray hairs just two months after.men e no easy even for ezekiel.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 27, 2016
emmabest2000:
Bank job worldwide are the same ...
I verily disagree with you
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by groomed: 10:51am On Aug 27, 2016
RealLordZeus:
Never knew it's so hard as this
HUH? shocked shocked shocked shocked Are you kidding me?
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by ipledge01: 10:55am On Aug 27, 2016
1stCitizen:

Yes. In fact in 4 years I relieved a Manager during his leave. A year later I had my branch. I was very good at my job too.

Lol. How long do you think it took Tony Elumelu and many others in the defunct STB to become an M.D. of a bank at 34 and the others -ED's.

I was even slow then.

you said you were very good at your job, does that mean you always meet your target than others?
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by groomed: 10:57am On Aug 27, 2016
Ishilove:
My friend was lamenting yesterday how she works Monday to Saturday, and on public holidays. She also overpaid a customer by 5k, but that 5k is like 500k because her salary is 75k, and by the time she removes logistics and other expenses, the money is gone.

Way back in school I had the opportunity to work with Stanbic but I jumped and passed. A decision I have never regretted.

Banking in Nigeria is akin to slavery.
With some simple internet skills, your friend will comfortably sit behind a PC, and bank over 300k if done right! Plus add enough flesh to her skin. Right now, ordinary $300 is more than her salary which VERY VERY easy to make based on current economic revelations and realities.

Nigerians need to embrace freelancing. With her banking experience, she could become a freelance accountant doing bookkeeping for clients around the world and getting paid for it, while also researching and learning more ways to upgrade.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by Ishilove: 11:24am On Aug 27, 2016
groomed:
With some simple internet skills, your friend will comfortably sit behind a PC, and bank over 300k if done right! Plus add enough flesh to her skin. Right now, ordinary $300 is more than her salary which VERY VERY easy to make based on current economic revelations and realities.

Nigerians need to embrace freelancing. With her banking experience, she could become a freelance accountant doing bookkeeping for clients around the world and getting paid for it, while also researching and learning more ways to upgrade.
Tell me more...
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 27, 2016
ipledge01:

you said you were very good at your job, does that mean you always meet your target than others?

Targets are personal to every staff irrespective of how others meet theirs. Just to set it straight based on the last part of your question. Now let me give you a scenario.

I was once head hunted by 2 new banks that were venturing into my state because of some public sector accounts I brought in and was managing. Please note that this was an oil producing state and the then state chief executive would have moved these accounts to any bank I went

Was I surpassing my target. I leave you to decide.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by company500: 11:48am On Aug 27, 2016
what do you expect when you are being paid over 237k a month as a permanent staff like in Access Bank? You need to work very long hours and meet your targets no matter how big it is. Well I believe their struggle is being compensated with a very big salary. imagine earning over 237k and their management just increased their salaries this week. I think when you consider the big money they are earning every month, the stress they go through is worth it.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by ipledge01: 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2016
1stCitizen:

Targets are personal to every staff irrespective of how others meet theirs. Just to set it straight based on the last part of your question. Now let me give you a scenario.

I was once head hunted by 2 new banks that were venturing into my state because of some public sector accounts I brought in and was managing. Please note that this was an oil producing state and the then state chief executive would have moved these accounts to any bank I went

Was I surpassing my target. I leave you to decide.

wow that's huge, thanks for the reply.

I'm just a recent graduate and I've always love to work in IT department of any financial organization like bank because of my mixed interest in both information technology and finance. this thread has open my eyes.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by CoCoLav(f): 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2016
masciv:
Cousin who is a banker lives like a slave.Goes to work as early as 6am and comes back by 9,10. Earliest she was back was around 8:30. Works Monday-Friday and many times on Saturdays too. Has nothing doing other than banks. Is so lazy and barely does anything else at home cos she always too tired. One day I saw her coming back from work and I was like... Did they beat this girl to stupor or is she just waking up from coma. She wore such a forlorn face I've seen only from people at the IDP camps and other war torn areas. I had to tell her to her face one day...I can never marry someone like you. If I was already engaged and you took up a job like this, I'll break immediately. I don't know if all bankers live like this but jeez she lives like a slave... Only a modern slave you could say.

Excuse me? She goes to work from 8am to 9pm and you still called her lazy because she doesn't do house chores??

5 Likes

Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 27, 2016
ipledge01:

wow that's huge, thanks for the reply.

I'm just a recent graduate and I've always love to work in IT department of any financial organization like bank because of my mixed interest in both information technology and finance. this thread has open my eyes.

I am into IT consulting at the moment. Your IT and financial background is priceless especially if you can smartly add one certification. That way you widen your market globally while others are jostling for only Nigerian advertized jobs. Be good at whatever you do.

All the best
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
Very interesting topic, considering that I am hoping to work in a bank someday
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by mikolo80: 1:10am On Aug 28, 2016
ladyF:
But you really can't blame people working in banks. It's not like there are so many options to choose from. Running a personal business as an entrepreneur is not easy. For most people, there's no capital to even start.

We blame them
Farming is an option
But ego and pride and laziness no go gree dem
They want to wear suit and tie by force
I have always known if I got a bank job na to save maximumlly not even maximally and enter farm as soon as they see I'm not poshuIng any Stoopid target and sack me
By the time they realize all youths are just queue ing up to collect start up capital dem go Gi diasef brain

But my own argument is this, if you can pitch a bank to customers and make them deposit money, why can't you think of a business idea and pitch to people to raise capital? All these deposit targets is like slave labor, monkey (you) dey work, baboon (bank) dey chop. They will still come and sack you tomorrow. angry Why not channel your marketing to sell your idea and raise capital? back get brand
Marketer doesn't
They know the bank
They don't know the marketer

Anyway sha... make I go continue to sell my puff-puff and zobo. cheesy

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by groomed: 11:04am On Aug 28, 2016
Ishilove:

Tell me more...
I have seen some of your writing and with right guide, you could make good money writing for people for as much as $100 per article. Bamidele Onibalusi does as much as $5000 per month writing for clients and he does it from Nigeria.

Currently, he nurturing folks via his facebook group. You can reach him via info @ writersincharge.com

Here is a little intro:

http://m.wikihow.com/Earn-Money-As-a-Freelancer

There others around. It's not gonna be awalkin the park but with dedication, you can always triumph.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by groomed: 11:12am On Aug 28, 2016
company500:
what do you expect when you are being paid over 237k a month as a permanent staff like in Access Bank? You need to work very long hours and meet your targets no matter how big it is. Well I believe their struggle is being compensated with a very big salary. imagine earning over 237k and their management just increased their salaries this week. I think when you consider the big money they are earning every month, the stress they go through is worth it.

Mr man, 237k is nothing. I repeat it is nothing. Just one deal I did would net m 1.2M. Thanks to Dollar scarcity as well.

I am deeply researching options that can put as much as $500 per week into my account. If you aren't digging now, I wonder what you will be doing when dollar start losing value against naira.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by An0nimus: 11:47pm On Aug 28, 2016
Ishilove:

Tell me more...

Ishi don't tell me you don't know about Freelancing shocked. I can understand if you know but is not interested in it. Tbh, when I see those $100-200 story ghostwriting jobs I remember you and the other beautiful writers we have on NL. Too bad I can't write stories, I for just dey on chills.
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by Ishilove: 9:23am On Aug 29, 2016
An0nimus:

Ishi don't tell me you don't know about Freelancing shocked. I can understand if you know but is not interested in it. Tbh, when I see those $100-200 story ghostwriting jobs I remember you and the other beautiful writers we have on NL. Too bad I can't write stories, I for just dey on chills.
My dear I didn't know o. I thought all these things were fake embarassed
Re: Deposit Target: Nigerian Bankers’ Nightmare by An0nimus: 10:35am On Aug 29, 2016
Ishilove:

My dear I didn't know o. I thought all these things were fake embarassed

I can assure you, they're not. People are making good income from freelancing. So much some have decided to face it full time. Like the other guy said, it's not a walk in the park but it's achievable. There are threads on it here on NL. If you're interested, local search lady.writer (without the '.'). She does it full time.

Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Microsoft Hires Sam Altman And Greg Brockman / Federal University Lafia is Paying Half Salary for January 2016!!! / CBN To Banks: Don’t Give Sensitive Roles To Contract Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.