Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,788 members, 7,841,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) - Satellite TV Technology (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) (249696 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (170) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by spacevice(m): 7:12pm On Jan 17, 2010
@ all

Is stv 1 still showing on sirius?

Also, how can i get higher signal quality on sirius. I use 69x with a 90cm dish and the current quality is between 54-59%.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by pofolo(m): 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2010
@ enitan,

correct yarn !!!.
@ spacevice,
stv1 goes & come like nepa.
If u r using ur 90cm for w3a/sirius,den u r @ trade-off, & dats d 'price' u pay
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by sathob(m): 7:49pm On Jan 17, 2010
@spacevice I have stv1 62% on 63X and it's very stable using 60cm. You must do some tweeking or fine tuning on the dish. And if u r using ur dish for 3a and sirus then a sacrifice for one is the best bet now.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by spacevice(m): 8:25pm On Jan 17, 2010
@sathob and pofolo

Thanks. But i am using my 90cm for sirius only. Any tips on lnb skew?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by sathob(m): 9:25pm On Jan 17, 2010
@spacevice help on skew: lnb skew is turning the lnb left or right in its holder (like turning the knob on a radio set) in a layman's term. The lnb shouldn't be too tight nor loose in its holder when skewing. I have my lnb skewed to six o'clock position facing the dish.this means the outlet from the lnb is facing down or the earth. Try adjusting lnb in holder by gentle push / pull whilst observing changes in signal strenth bar to where u have a high value and do skewing.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by sathob(m): 11:56pm On Jan 17, 2010
Skew is also location dependent to get the best of the received signal and the position may vary slightly at different locations
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Ibaku(m): 12:41am On Jan 18, 2010
Guyz do u think intelsat 802 is trackable here in lagos ? Pls confirm.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by princeparis(m): 7:25am On Jan 18, 2010
I tried nailing W6 all through yesterday, no success. The same thing that happen with NSS 7 is what i noticed. I notice that at the satellite position the strength bar would rise a little bit (by 1% or 2)and i will lock in at that point but know matter what i do after the quality bar would still be zero. I am using HITV decoder with DSTV dish(85cm or there about). What could be wrong. I was able to track sirius/w3a using the same method with the daarsat dish, PLEASE HELP!!!
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Breeposh: 7:26am On Jan 18, 2010
sad
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by NashFTA(m): 8:09am On Jan 18, 2010
@Ibaku,
The position 33 degrees East is shared by two satellites namely Eurobird 3 and Intelsat 802. Check: _http://www.lyngsat.com/33east.html_). Eurobird 3 beam (spot-C) is an off-print beam available only in Europe and to track it from Lagos would require a massive dish!! Say, 3-5 metre!! Try and let the forum know if you can. Maybe the only interesting channels here would be BBC-persian and VOA TV-persian on 12728 V 22000, FEC=1/2.

The Ku-band Spot1 beam for Intelsat 802 (Check: _http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/intel802_spot1.html_) can be received well with a 60 - 90cm within the following countries around Eastern Africa: Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Southern Sudan, Ethiopia, Northern Zambia, Northern Malawi, Rwanda and Burundi, and Eastern Zaire. This beam has four FTA channels namely WBS-TV (Uganda), KBC (Kenya), K24 (Kenya) and TBN-Family TV (Kenya). (Check: _http://www.lyngsat.com/intel802.html_). There is also a Spot2 beam for Eastern Africa (Check:_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/intel802_spot2.html_) which is now active. I have performed a blind-scan on it severally but no new TPs for this beam tracked yet.

To track this satellite (i.e., Spot1 beam) from Lagos, one would require a massive pan dish of between 8ft – 12ft !! (or better). Try 12ft and let us know if you succeed. In addition, there is another C-band beam for west Africa (Check: _http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/intel802_swzone.html_), but not sure whether it is active yet. Cheers.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by jossybless(m): 8:23am On Jan 18, 2010
@ALL

@George

Pls what satellites will I pick in Lagos Akute (ojodu axis ) on 1.8m dish pls thanks Is it possible to construct local 2.4m dish ?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:33am On Jan 18, 2010
@Nash-FTA,
We normally don't rely completely on lyngsat footprint maps to determine whether
or not a satellite is recievable in a particular location or not. Experience has taught
us that some of these providers deliberately limit their satellite coverage on paper
to make it appear like their signals cannot go beyond a particular region while in
actual fact it extents over and beyond it. They do this mostly to avoid broadcast
rights problems.

The only sure way of knowing the limits of a satellite's beam is to practically try and
and bring it down like we've done for nilesat, badr, hotbird, eurobird etc using dish
sizes smaller than what lyngsat will have us believe.
It is people like you and I who help in updating lyngsat maps different than the
ones service providers give to them.  smiley
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:38am On Jan 18, 2010
@jossybless,
You can pick intelsat 902/c, 906/c, intelsat 7/10 (c/Ku), nss7(c/ku), eutelsat w3a, w6, etc with 1.8m in lagos. But you may not be able to enjoy a 3-in-1 lnb setup.

Why would you want to construct a 2.4m locally when you can get STRONG PAN of same dimension?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Ibaku(m): 8:56am On Jan 18, 2010
@NASH-FTA, roger that mate, will give it a shot later, thanx.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 9:18am On Jan 18, 2010
@jossybless,
Here are the pictures of the STRONG PAN dish base construction. They were originally posted in season 2 of this thread and have been repeated severally for emphasis. Just print them out and hand over to an experienced welder and he will know what to do:

Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 9:19am On Jan 18, 2010
More,

Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olason(m): 11:02am On Jan 18, 2010
ALL, I have said it time and time again that 2m national on w6 is the most nauthiest bird in sub-saharan Africa. this past wkend WITH MY 1.8m motorised while trying to watch chelsea vs sunderland using this freq 11653, on a good day gives me 56-58 signal qty suddenly dropped to 0 qty. i quickly used the 2nd freq 11669 that one gave me 70% qty but no audio and video, I said to myself what nonesence is this! i said ok let me try to reduce the qty of the signal, u guys won't blieve this when it got to 56% qty the picture popped up on the screen, at first it was cracking but after a while it became vey stable. my advise is this u must be ready for surprises when u want to nail 2m national. U must be very very patient. is this a general problem across Africa? views are welcome.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by skalamanga: 2:25pm On Jan 18, 2010
@Ifendi
whats this CAS update? i joined the FTA community with the echolink 3030usb model on 1.8m strong offset dish(dont know why they call it offset) since april09 and was enjoing all the channels on nilesat until recently most of the entertaining channels went off,
@all
i'am miffed and my wife that used to enjoy channels such as reality, nat geogr, discovery et all is getting frustrated by the day because each time i try the new updates they dont work, no more art sports, aljazeera sport etc, the most painful part is having to return to viewing centers to watch Nations cup mayches. Are there alternate decoders, sattelites, LNB or card that i can use to open these channels? because we are seriously contemplating on returning to dstv.
thanks.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 18, 2010
Dstv will be glad to welcome you back. They will even be ready to give you discount. But my candid advice, never leave nile for dsthieves. Have you seen anyone that has taken that step on this forum?
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by NashFTA(m): 3:39pm On Jan 18, 2010
@George_D,
Thank You for your advice.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olason(m): 4:16pm On Jan 18, 2010
skalamanga, u can watch the nations cup on nta on intelsat 905 for free. @ ALL, without updates on nile i can tell u categorically clear that u can do away with it. a motorised 1.8m 3 in 1 lnb setup can give u almost what u need.is it soap opera, sport, music, news, african movies,etc name it, and  u dont' need any update to watch them which u cant' on nile, I know what am saying cos have seen it all. Am not saying nile is not ok but with 1.8m motorised you are better off, imagine i have close to 13 fta stations showing the nations cup.Even the mbc1-4, fox movies, mbc max, mbc action, fox series, they show old movies but check out TIM on intersat 906c and see current movies in english and sub titled in spanish men you go bow not to talk of EATV lastest music compilelations,etc etc I stand to be corrected!
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by skalamanga: 5:01pm On Jan 18, 2010
@enitan/ Olason
thanks for the response. i would like to give the 3LNB thingy a try problem is iam not that technical with regards to the installation process. As much as i have learnt quite a few new things from this forum i would be glad to have someone from the forum assist me in performing the task. any one i can call that leaves in abuja/karu area? i would nt want to invite the dude that did the initial installation, he ripped me off no doubt( realised this after reading thru posts here). thanks guys
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Dejsam(m): 6:12pm On Jan 18, 2010
skalamanga:

@Ifendi
whats this CAS update? i joined the FTA community with the echolink 3030usb model on 1.8m strong offset dish(dont know why they call it offset) since april09 and was enjoing all the channels on nilesat until recently most of the entertaining channels went off,
@all
i'am miffed and my wife that used to enjoy channels such as reality, nat geogr, discovery et all is getting frustrated by the day because each time i try the new updates they dont work, no more art sports, aljazeera sport etc, the most painful part is having to return to viewing centers to watch Nations cup mayches. Are there alternate decoders, sattelites, LNB or card that i can use to open these channels? because we are seriously contemplating on returning to dstv.
thanks.
@skalamanga,

i would have explained what cas update is all about to u.but that can't be done on the forum now.its usually a discussion at the backyard or private message or mail discussion.cas data update for echolink is available as at now for ART and JSP on nilesat.but i cant get accross to u.u can drop ur mailbox.will get accross to u when i am sending to my people too.

hope this will help u a little.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 18, 2010
Motorised vs Fixed.

Settling for any of the above choice after so much consideration is such a herculean task for the faint hearted ones. For those who have the adventurous spirit, it wont take them long before settling down for a choice, and based on my research people tend to settle more for fixed option compare to motorised option.

Those who settle for motorised option are those who have great ideas and technical-know-hows concerning satellite installation and maintenance. For the vast majority of peeps on this forum (both the silent & active ones), it would have been noted that it has only been the expert that most have motorised setups in their backyards. this is because, they tend to easily solve problems encountered on their motorised setup. But the vast majority that are silent are usually on the receiving ends, i.e they are only concerned what they are able to watch in their living rooms. They dont really give a damned about the knowledge behind the workability of the satellite system. Well, one cant blamed them, cos one man's food is another man's poison. what might intrest a man might not intrest the other.

So in short term, if you have no idea of how satellite system operates, I advice you NEVER to go for a motorised setup. If you are ready to be spending so much on little hiccups you can resolve on installers coming regularly fixing same problem. Well, if you think you're up to the task of periodic troubleshooting, then you can discard my advice.

Fixed system also has its own shortcomings, but it can never be compared to what its experienced on motorsed setup.

If you all remember, most problems being tabled on this thread has to with motorised setup, like 'HELP, I CAN ONLY GET EASTWARD SATELLITES AND NOT THE WESTWARD SATELLITE POSITIONED BIRDS' or 'MY DISH ACTUATOR CANT MOVE BEYOND 10E AND 5W' and so on and so forth.

When we talk about current movies, you can never see a station during 2010 showing you 2009 movies. they only tend to show movies after about two years (once the directors/producers have made their profits), so no matter how current a movie is, IT CAN NEVER BE CURRENT TO WHAT SILVERBIRD GALLERIA SHOWS.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olofofo(m): 6:50pm On Jan 18, 2010
olason:

skalamanga, u can watch the nations cup on nta on intelsat 905 for free. @ ALL, without updates on nile i can tell u categorically clear that u can do away with it. a motorised 1.8m 3 in 1 lnb setup can give u almost what u need.is it soap opera, sport, music, news, african movies,etc name it, and  u dont' need any update to watch them which u cant' on nile, I know what am saying cos have seen it all. Am not saying nile is not ok but with 1.8m motorised you are better off, imagine i have close to 13 fta stations showing the nations cup.Even the mbc1-4, fox movies, mbc max, mbc action, fox series, they show old movies but check out TIM on intersat 906c and see current movies in english and sub titled in spanish men you go bow not to talk of EATV lastest music compilelations,etc etc  I stand to be corrected!

I beg to differ.

a 2.4m nile installation has the following in full

news:
EURONEWS,
BBC
FRANCE 24
DEUTSCH WELLE and many more
CNN( depending where you are)

music:
MTV
Smile TV
music Plus and many more

movies:
MBC2
FOX movies
DUbai one
Dubai TV
MBC max
MBC action
MBC 4
FOX series

sport:
JSc sport 1,2, global,
Nesma TV
dubai sport 1
Abudabi sport 1 and 2

and many many more

if it's those that are interested in more than FTA that will go and buy decoders that you can experiment with for decrypting channels that are not FTA. in summary, if what you are interested in is Full entertainment in one package, and you have space and the cash to buy the dish, no motorized 1.8 set up can compare to Almighty NILESAT! unlike on a motorized set up where you have to move from place to the other.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by obnelly: 7:17pm On Jan 18, 2010
I think fixed is better than motorise,.if you aint hook up to nile then you can go for motorise.individual differences i think.but i for one fixed is ok and cheaper,all you have is there on nile except EPLeague so what do you expect?.

prince paris i guess you need basic satellite practical guide for you to track NSS7 and 2M the signals are there for you.just believe you can .2% cant show nothing you should hit up to 39% depends on the receiver you are using .I track with technosat once the signal hit 25-30% i go green.
if you cant still get it right you can call me 08028482859.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 8:11pm On Jan 18, 2010
@Dejsam,
@all,
I finally got round to fixing my dielectric c-band lnb last week. In fact I totally replaced the untidy wires
and masking tapes with the special brackets sent me by Dejsam. I think it is a sight to behold now
quite professional and different from what it was before.
I can now entertain questions on circular polarity satellites like intelsat 902/c, 906/6, 901/c, nss7/c, etc.
Somehow though it looks like I'm losing signals on some of the birds. I think the lnbs will need further
tweaking.
Pictures to come shortly-as usual. cool
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by princeparis(m): 8:39pm On Jan 18, 2010
@Obnelly. Thanks. What i meant is additional gain on the signal strength. normally it is around 80% and once i get the satellite position it moves to about 81 or 82. Anyway i will give you a call later.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by GeorgeD1(m): 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2010
@BUTONEDAY,
Congrats on the success of your motorised 5m installation! You finally hit the bull's eye this time!
No more nilesat wahala! No more hotbird wahala! No more Eurobird wahala! ASTRA 2D is game
at last! grin
You have set a new record this side of the Atlantic difficult to be broken for many years to come!
Keep on rocking! We go dey follow you for back small, small oooooo! cool
Seeing is believing! shocked
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by olofofo(m): 10:16pm On Jan 18, 2010
@BUTONEDAY

motorized 5m dish abeg update us on what is receivable ASAP! we need to know.

@all

Dreambox is a most have for everyone. the tiniest most impressive decoder that i have seen in my life. takes some getting used but, but it is worth every penny.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by obnelly: 10:37pm On Jan 18, 2010
With BUTONEDAY 5M dish motorised i guess we are moving towards satellite from America,canada and south america this 2010.
Re: Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 18, 2010
olofofo:

@BUTONEDAY

motorized 5m dish abeg update us on what is receivable ASAP! we need to know.

@all

Dreambox is a most have for everyone. the tiniest most impressive decoder that i have seen in my life. takes some getting used but, but it is worth every penny.

you'll be suprise that it wont get any new birds a motorised 3.6m would get.

With the name dreambox, it's shown that is a must fro every satellite hobbyst

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (170)

All About Nilesat Installations / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] / Strong Receivers Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.