Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,807 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:17 PM

Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? (48262 Views)

Hot And Cold Stream In Ugep, Cross River State, Discovered By A Hunter / Lagos Airport Staff Who Steals Passengers' Belongings Discovered (pics, Video) / Naturalized US Citizens: Do You Get Treated/respected As A Native Born Citizen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by ifyalways(f): 12:10pm On Sep 02, 2016
I agree with Onegai and Sambarry. Dressing simple is almost a crime in Nigeria; people would judge and address you based on what you wear (clothing, jewellery, footwear, perfume on you, hair down to make up) and type of car you drive.

Meanwhile, old serious money makes no noise. And funny enough, it's actually the broke but highly vain souls who are opportuned to see a few coins in their bank account that are the major culprits.

12 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by SAMBARRY: 12:15pm On Sep 02, 2016
ifyalways:
I agree with Onegai and Sambarry. Dressing simple is almost a crime in Nigeria; people would judge and address you based on what you wear (clothing, jewellery, footwear, perfume on you, hair down to make up) and type of car you drive.

Meanwhile, old serious money makes no noise. And funny enough, it's actually the broke but highly vain souls who are opportuned to see a few coins in their bank account that are the major culprits.
gbam.take another 5. Your head is correct

4 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 12:28pm On Sep 02, 2016
Onegai:

Yes, they do. You think N20million is a big deal? There are plenty people who don't announce to the whole world "I have a private jet". A jet is a vehicle to ease business, it is in Nigeria people are carrying it ontop their head as a big deal, be going to Caverton airfield to snap pictures of themselves sitting in one. And like I said, you don't know these people. I can sit down here and easily demolish any argument you make by mentioning some lastnames in my immediate presence right now. Even a picture I can take will end this argument. But I'm in no mood to argue, so you're right, I have never seen a rich person, infact my definition of wealthy is someone who has bought a tokunbo keke. Happy? cheesy
I appreciate your humour but there are few untruths in your comments. Every private jet owner is required by law to register their jets so there is no way anyone can have a jet in Nigeria and ''not announce'' it. With a simple google search anyone can get the names of all the jet owners in Nigeria.This is the law. Not everyone buys jets for business, some people buy jets for pleasure. Any last name you think you have must show up something tangible on forbes.com or fortune magazine else it won't count. So cross-check very well.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 12:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
SAMBARRY:
is asa not in the same show buisness. How come we don't know too much about her wink
lagbaja nko wink
Apples and Oranges. Asa is not into Hip-pop; neither is the masked one.

12 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by missjo(f): 12:32pm On Sep 02, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
Mine is the complete opposite. The first impression people have of me is that I'm from a wealthy background. Dem no know say shishi no gum me. cry

Even when I try to point out my #1,000 darling yaki hair and fairly used shoes/clothes, they go "yea right, you're just trying to be humble". angry

So here I am, enjoying my virtual wealth. grin
Some people don't believe me when I say I'm broke,and it's not even because I overdress.its my look perhaps undecided

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Onegai(f): 12:36pm On Sep 02, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I appreciate your humour but there are few untruths in your comments. [b]Every private jet owner is required by law to register their jets so there is no way anyone can have a jet in Nigeria and ''not announce'' it. With a simple google search anyone can get the names of all the jet owners in Nigeria.[/b]This is the law. Not everyone buys jets for business, some people buy jets for pleasure. Any last name you think you have must show up something tangible on forbes.com or fortune magazine else it won't count. So cross-check very well.

Wrong. I googled 2 right now, that I know. Nothing showed up. And they are the owners. Registration is different from telling people "I've got a jet", try and keep up. Pull up the website that the list of private jet owners you are using to check. You are still blindly arguing. Like I said, NL is a clear example of what's wrong with us. Anyhoo, I am not going to continue this. I've said you're right, now I'm off and will not reply anything.

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Onegai(f): 12:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
ifyalways:
. Dressing simple is almost a crime in Nigeria; people would judge and address you based on what you wear (clothing, jewellery, footwear, perfume on you, hair down to make up) and type of car you drive.

My sister, abeg help tell them and answer this: true or false, old money doesn't live in Lekki but in Ikoyi, Lagos Island, Apapa and Ikeja? As in that's where their family homes are.

6 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 12:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
Onegai:

Yes, they do. You think N20million is a big deal? There are plenty people who don't announce to the whole world "I have a private jet". A jet is a vehicle to ease business, it is in Nigeria people are carrying it ontop their head as a big deal, be going to Caverton airfield to snap pictures of themselves sitting in one. And like I said, you don't know these people. I can sit down here and easily demolish any argument you make by mentioning some last names in my immediate presence right now. Even a picture I can take will end this argument. But I'm in no mood to argue, so you're right, I have never seen a rich person, infact my definition of wealthy is someone who has bought a tokunbo keke. Happy? cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Onegai(f): 1:16pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness and co, please come and take your partner off my mentions. Thanks.

Respect everyone that comes to you. Even when you know they don't have. One of my brothers (a truly great guy) takes the time to thank service people. He made me realise that in Nigeria, we feel saying thank you to the driver or gateman reduces our level. Like we think why should I notice this person?". He said it was because once he met a silly girl, who talked down a lot to him (stuff like "oh you speak so well" blah blah) and he dressed constantly in t-shirts. So he told her he was the janitor at his company. She kept condescending to him until she found out what his position was. Very awkward.

Sambarry, a plain tee shirt is the uniform of most white (American) guys and techie or engineers abroad. I sent a few friends a picture of a.group of female bankers here and they assumed these babes were all investment bankers (just our regular customer service babes o). Even when I went to a friend's wedding I felt overdressed (I did Naija style dressing) because everyone there was in light summer-y dresses. My sibling came to Nigeria and comfortably rode LAGBUS and was surprised that people were sneering at them. Meanwhile how many of us won't act like taking a yellow cab is an insult yet will land in London and look for the Tube map?

13 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 1:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
Onegai:

Respect everyone that comes to you. Even when you know they don't have. One of my brothers (a truly great guy) takes the time to thank service people. He made me realise that in Nigeria, we feel saying thank you to the driver or gateman reduces our level. Like we think why should I notice this person?". He said it was because once he met a silly girl, who talked down a lot to him (stuff like "oh you speak so well" blah blah) and he dressed constantly in t-shirts. So he told her he was the janitor at his company. She kept condescending to him until she found out what his position was. Very awkward.

Sambarry, a plain tee shirt is the uniform of most white (American) guys and techie or engineers abroad. I sent a few friends a picture of a.group of female bankers here and they assumed these babes were all investment bankers (just out regular customer service babes o). Even when I went to a friend's wedding I felt overdressed (I did Naija style dressing) because everyone there was in light summer-y dresses. My sibling came to Nigeria and comfortably rode LAGBUS and was surprised that people were sneering at them.
cheesycheesy

I want to send you a PM, per following the rule on your signature. gringrin

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by missjo(f): 1:36pm On Sep 02, 2016
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
Poise and the way you speak also speaks volumes about you
You can dress simple and still be respected

From experience I find that Old money tends to be quiet about things because they have lived in it for so long that they don't see the big deal about it any more.

Personally I find unnecessary celebration and attention very embarrassing.
and I cant stand loud mouthed, rude people regardless of how rich you are

I always say thank you to everyone who serves me
We tell our children to greet and say please and thank you, but some parents feel too big to do it.

Each to their own

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by 5minsmadness: 2:02pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:

Na so my brother.

4 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:
It's the Nigerian way, people always want to front wealthy and exposed to earn more respect and dignity from others..

This is why I don't take people like Mindfulness and others like her here serious when they can't shut up about where they live in Europe, UK, US, Lagos Island, and so on and so forth... gringringrin
Who cares? cheesy

People born into wealth or at least above-average families don't make such noise.

#CauseTrouble
angry

I have made noise about being wealthy? So saying one is from Europe equals saying that one is wealthy?

The thing you are smoking ...

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 2:10pm On Sep 02, 2016
Onegai:

Wrong. I googled 2 right now, that I know. Nothing showed up. And they are the owners. Registration is different from telling people "I've got a jet", try and keep up. Pull up the website that the list of private jet owners you are using to check. You are still blindly arguing. Like I said, NL is a clear example of what's wrong with us. Anyhoo, I am not going to continue this. I've said you're right, now I'm off and will not reply anything.
Yimu. All the private jet owners in this are famous to a certain degree. Acquisitions of private aircrafts are usually announced as they are used to make ''statements''. I find it very hard to believe that there are unknown owners of private jets in this country( private is the operative word). One should not confuse corporate with private...Feel free to not reply.

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 02, 2016
Onegai:

Sambarry, a plain tee shirt is the uniform of most white (American) guys and techie or engineers abroad. I sent a few friends a picture of a.group of female bankers here and they assumed these babes were all investment bankers (just our regular customer service babes o). Even when I went to a friend's wedding I felt overdressed (I did Naija style dressing) because everyone there was in light summer-y dresses. My sibling came to Nigeria and comfortably rode LAGBUS and was surprised that people were sneering at them. Meanwhile how many of us won't act like taking a yellow cab is an insult yet will land in London and look for the Tube map?

Which partner? shocked
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 2:19pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

I have made noise about being wealthy? So saying one is from Europe equals saying that one is wealthy?

The thing you are smoking ...

You would know, wouldn't you? wink grin

3 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

Which partner? shocked
Why everyone keeps linking you and I together is becoming a cause for great concern to me. undecided

7 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:

Why everyone keeps linking you and I together is becoming a cause of great concern to me. undecided

Stop pretending. cheesy
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:

You would know, wouldn't you? wink grin

How would I? grin
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 2:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

How would I? grin
Smokers tend to know each other, that's how..although I've been clean for close to 5yrs now.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:

Smokers tend to know each other, that's how..although I've been clean for close to 5yrs now.

It's good to keep it healthy. wink

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 2:40pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

Stop pretending. cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:

I love this gif. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 02, 2016
babyme1:
This happened to my elder sister few years ago. She booked to have her braided on a weekend, but bc of some things she went a lil late. D hair dresser had called n told her dt she will be attended to once she comes, though there were others.

When she finally reached n the lady started her hair, one girl finished my sis with insult. Even when d owner of the salon explained to her, she no gree o. It wasnt as if she wasnt attended to, she just felt that my sis just walked in n was given attention.

She even asked my sis who knows her in Uyo, a small rat like her. My sis nearly slapped her but others told her to ignore d chick. Na so monday reach, my sis went to work early bc she was the head of a team to conduct an interview that morning. Guess who waltz in for dt interview? Miss Saucy from d salon grin.

I heard she couldnt even answer any question. She later wents to the salon to ask the lady to apologize to my sis on her behalf. Me sef follow learn lesson from that.
Don't you just love karma? gringrin

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 3:04pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

I love this gif. grin grin grin grin

I like Trump, he's very troublesome.

Only a Donald Trump will want to build a wall to protect his home, and then insist that his neighbour on the other side should be the one to pay for it. cheesy cheesy

*crying* grin

16 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:

I like Trump, he's very troublesome.

Only a Donald Trump will want to build a wall to protect his home, and then insist that his neighbour on the other side should be the one to pay for it. cheesy cheesy *crying* grin

"I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."

grin grin grin grin grin

I wouldn't actually be surprised if he succeeded doing it his way. Despite his craziness, he has come very far so anything is possible with this guy.

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by cococandy(f): 3:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
Don't you mean 99%?

And it's not only Hermes. Fake Chanel, fake lv, fake everything. Nothing hurts me more than seeing a fake handbag cry cry.
And I can usually tell from across the room.

Ladies stop eeeet pls. Seriously stop.
Onegai:

No-one is saying dress this way or that, please dress freely and decently. But in Nigeria, if you don't look a certain way, people treat you somehow. Which is wrong. Why are we deploying a fake accent, why are we carrying fake designer bags proudly (almost all the Hermes in Nigeria is fake. Trust me, like 90% of them are fake) It happens everywhere around the world but it's worse in Nigeria. Just be free to do you. It's the same with guys: they all want to marry "homely girls" who are yellow (no explanation of the yellow), in a long weave, sexy outfits and have a bubbling IG page. Uche or Tinu shows up with her unrelaxed natural hair and simple, neat ankara outfit, they start asking her whether she attends MFM or if this is something she is doing because she wants favour from God (I shiit you not about the last line). Guys and girls do it, everyone in Nigeria does it.

1 Like

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 3:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

"I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."

grin grin grin grin grin

I wouldn't actually be surprised if he succeeded doing it his way. Despite his craziness, he has come very far so anything is possible with this guy.
Lmao.. gringrin

The man is just hilarious mehn, he's so different and that is what endears him to me—I don't really care who wins the election though, but Americans will forever remember Donald Trump win or lose. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by jaybee3(m): 3:35pm On Sep 02, 2016
I've never experienced such but then again I've never had trouble fitting into any setting
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 02, 2016
crackhaus:

The man is just hilarious mehn, he's so different and that's what endears him to me—I don't really care who wins the election though, but Americans will forever remember Donald Trump win or lose. cheesy

I don't want him to win the elections for sure but I think he is a fascinating character.
I wish he was married to Patience Jonathan though. It would amplify the entertainment factor. grin

5 Likes

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by crackhaus: 3:58pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mindfulness:

I don't want him to win the elections for sure but I think he is a fascinating character.
I wish he was married to Patience Jonathan though. It would amplify the entertainment factor. grin
What a match made in heaven Mexico that would be. gringrin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tony Erondu, Peace Mass Accident Victim, Mourned By Family & Friends / Road Sign Slices Through A Driver's Car In The UK (Pictures) / The Moment Air Niugini Plane Crashed Into Sea In Micronesia, Papua New Guinea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.