Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,333 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari (21373 Views)

Statues Of Obasanjo, Ekwueme, Awolowo, Mbakwe To Be Unveiled By Okorocha / Photos Of Obasanjo Gyrating With Members Of Kegite Club Of Nigeria / Meet Late Musa Yar'adua's Daughters, All Married To Former State Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by DropShot: 3:14pm On Sep 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Please who are the "seasoned" economists or financial experts that has HAILED the Buhari administration? Did you read the words of HRH Sanusi Lamidi Sanusi? What about Chukwuma Soludo and Oby Ezeks? Do you think you supported his ascension more than these people?

Nigerians have neither seen any foundation laid since May 29, 2015, and it is sickening. Of course, everyone is waiting and hoping that the government reverts to sanity, but we won't stop talking.
The seasoned economists have not hailed him and they're right to offer constructive criticism as they do. However, they all understand and are unanimous in their agreement that the situation we are was bestowed on us by GEJ.

Done with you!
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
You only succeeded in contradicting yourself Sir. You earlier posted this
DropShot:

You're trying too hard to justify your biased position. Many seasoned economists appreciate and understand the situation PMB finds himself. Hence you hardly hear or read them castigating him.
But you couldn't come out to respond when asked on the "seasoned economists" that are yet to castigate the government.

Instead you came up with this, with the emboldened a clear contradiction from what you claimed earlier.
DropShot:

The seasoned economists have not hailed him and they're right to offer constructive criticism as they do.

As a face saving, you moved to this
However, they all understand and are unanimous in their agreement that the situation we are was bestowed on us by GEJ.

Done with you!
Meanwhile I have repeatedly told you that Nigerians brought in Muhammadu Buhari because they understand the FAILURE of Jonathan but they are not interested in hearing someone telling them the failure of past administration when they are in position to fix things.

The blame is unnecessary, Nigerians sacked the former government because they recognised their failures, and were expectant of change of fortune with Muhammadu Buhari. Nigerians are not interested in someone telling them who is at fault in every forum or who is not, Nigerians want to see those that mismanaged our Common wealth punished, and the new helmsman to change our fortune.
Like I opined, the former government flopped and was kicked out accordingly. A new government was sworn in to tackle challenges and not tell us the former flopped. If Obasanjo had towed that line of blaming the military for crumbling the economy and giving us $3.7billion as Reserve and $35billion in debt, he wouldn't have recorded the relative success that he had. Obasanjo wouldn't have achieved $22b ECA, $45 billion Reserve, almost $0 in debt, opened up the banking sector and insurance sector, deregulated the telecommunications sector and strengthening Stock market among others.

In the words of HRH Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, "Buhari is repeating the mistake of Jonathan"

4 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Holadpearl(m): 3:56pm On Sep 02, 2016
This is a well written article with facts and figures on ECA, foreign reserves and crude oil prices and even debts profile of ex-presidents'regime. But the moment u got to Buhari........all data were lost. Do Justice to that pls, no matter how poor at least for the love of statistics,except u are thinking its too early to judge this govt? or there is sentiment at play!

4 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
Holadpearl:
This is a well written article with facts and figures on ECA, foreign reserves and crude oil prices and even debts profile of ex-presidents'regime. But the moment u got to Buhari........all data were lost. Do Justice to that pls, no matter how poor at least for the love of statistics,except u are thinking its too early to judge this govt? or there is sentiment at play!

The reason you haven't seen the debt profile, ECA balance, Reserve balance etc of this administration is because I think it is best we wait till December 2016/January 2017.

Then we shall do a thorough one year fiscal review and pass our independent verdict.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by ATERI(m): 4:52pm On Sep 02, 2016
Tonye has been neutral in his analysis, but there is no pleasing Nigerians!

For a leader to get a pass mark, he/she must have done well, at least, in the areas of Education, Security, Democracy, Economy, Welfare and Morality

Obasanjo started the economic policy that Jonathan embraced on assumption of office. It was all about privatisation and liberalisation, which is another way of describing the economic take-over of our country by the West. Once Obasanjo went for debt forgiveness, they told him that he would get that but he had to hand over our economy through the adoption of neo-liberal policies. Of course, BBC and our media never said a word on this, the noises were about the generous West forever helping Africa. Anyway, our people didn`t mind because they could get some low-paid jobs from foreigners inside our own country. Obasanjo paid off our debts and managed to save, but Jonathan did the opposite. Jonathan only knew how to spend till there was nothing to spend.
Buhari`s plan was to redirect the economy and move away from neo-liberal policies. His mistake was to think he could do that with the co-operation of the West. That was an unforgivable mistake on his part. There is a secret agenda by the West to destroy our currency and Buhari and his team are not street smart enough to neutralize this. So I have to give it to Obasanjo on the economy.

Democracy is all about how you get to power and how you leave it. It is about your attitude to the opposition and your opponents. It is about the respect you have for the judges and their judgements. It`s about your attitude to elections and the electorate. It`s about what you do with your power of incumbency and how much respect you have for human rights. Goodluck Jonathan is my choice when it comes to the most democratic President we have ever had.

On security, education and welfare, there is nothing to discuss, they are all as bad as each other.

I know that morality is a tricky one, but morality matters in leadership, because you must have a set of principles that are compatible with the aims and aspirations of your country. Somebody said character is destiny, therefore, leadership by example matters. Is there a relationship between what you are doing and what you expect from others? How decorous are you as a human being? Your general demeanour affects your immediate environment. How high is your sense of wrong and right? I struggle to find anyone I can applaud here among our former and current Presidents

What I`m getting at is the fact that, Nigeria has never had a leader that we can say did well in the field of education, security, economy, welfare, democracy while in office. That is why I`m concluding that we are still waiting for a good and competent President in Nigeria. The struggle contunues...

6 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Holadpearl(m): 5:06pm On Sep 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
The reason you haven't seen the debt profile, ECA balance, Reserve balance etc of this administration is because I think it is best we wait till December 2016/January 2017.

Then we shall do a thorough one year fiscal review and pass our independent verdict.

Then you agreed with me that the write up is too early to be called holistic? or rather this govt should be left out of the analysis until u have data, no matter how bizzare, to shore up your good analysis.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2016
Holadpearl:

Then you agreed with me that the write up is too early to be called holistic? or rather this govt should be left out of the analysis until u have data, no matter how bizzare, to shore up your good analysis.
There you missed it bro. The write up dealt with the whole of previous administrations but highlighted the present because it is a work in progress.

I would have left out thjis administration(it was the original plan) but some people may misinterpret that someone is trying to blame this government flop on the past or some may come and use the past to defend the present administration flops.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by CSTR2: 5:22pm On Sep 02, 2016

6 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Holadpearl(m): 5:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

There you missed it bro. The write up dealt with the whole of previous administrations but highlighted the present because it is a work in progress.

I would have left out thjis administration(it was the original plan) but some people may misinterpret that someone is trying to blame this government flop on the past or some may come and use the past to defend the present administration flops.

Lol. Am a researcher and am not trying to be political here, you did a good job, but in a comparison article so to say, the measures and data analysis for compared subject matter must be for all the compared, only then can the work be statically appreciated.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:55pm On Sep 02, 2016
Holadpearl:

Lol. Am a researcher and am not trying to be political here, you did a good job, but in a comparison article so to say, the measures and data analysis for compared subject matter must be for all the compared, only then can the work be statically appreciated.
You see in this country will majority of "educated" people who are only concerned about the symptoms of a problem but not really the disease itself.

In saner climes, citizens will look at the statistics, verify it, and look at what went wrong to really ascertain the problem of our growing challenges. But in this country, that won't be.

As for that on the Present Administration, it will be available in due time. Then we can look at our savings, debts, and reserve health and see if there will be any justification or otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Ayoola171(m): 8:08pm On Sep 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

You see in this country will majority of "educated" people who are only concerned about the symptoms of a problem but not really the disease itself.

In saner climes, citizens will look at the statistics, verify it, and look at what went wrong to really ascertain the problem of our growing challenges. But in this country, that won't be.

As for that on the Present Administration, it will be available in due time. Then we can look at our savings, debts, and reserve health and see if there will be any justification or otherwise.

Thank you boss for bringing this up, the Erudite of our time, more wisdom to your brain.
Figures and fact will not lie, i don't have any personal issues with Jonathan, assume He (Jonathan) build on the lagacies left behind by Olusegun Okikiola Obasanjo and Yar' adua, Nigeria could have been far better than where we are today, though Obasanjo has never be a perfect man; which i don't expect him to be, he had contributed his quota to the total well being of this Nation, figures are their to justify my claim in terms of his achievement on Foreign Reserve, External debt, ECA, Growth drive in Economy, Security and so on. Also Yar' adua, was able to sustain and buid on what Obasanjo left behind, not that Jonathan is not without his own achivement but considering all the opportunites at his disposal, he could have done wonderfully well, and most likely we might not find ourself in this urgly situation we are facing presently. For APC admistration lead by Buhari, i think they should stop pointing accusing fingers and forget the blame game, they need to take responsibity for their actions or in-action, what matter to us now is for them to delivered on campaign promises and Economic indices and total well-being of the Nation shall form the determinat factors to measure their contributions to the bottom line.
God bless Nigeria
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:42pm On Sep 02, 2016
Ayoola171:

Thank you boss for bringing this up, the Erudite of our time, more wisdom to your brain.
Figures and fact will not lie, i don't have any personal issues with Jonathan, assume He (Jonathan) build on the lagacies left behind by Olusegun Okikiola Obasanjo and Yar' adua, Nigeria could have been far better than where we are today, though Obasanjo has never be a perfect man; which i don't expect him to be, he had contributed his quota to the total well being of this Nation, figures are their to justify my claim in terms of his achievement on Foreign Reserve, External debt, ECA, Growth drive in Economy, Security and so on. Also Yar' adua, was able to sustain and buid on what Obasanjo left behind, not that Jonathan is not without his own achivement but considering all the opportunites at his disposal, he could have done wonderfully well, and most likely we might not find ourself in this urgly situation we are facing presently. For APC admistration lead by Buhari, i think they should stop pointing accusing fingers and forget the blame game, they need to take responsibity for their actions or in-action, what matter to us now is for them to delivered on campaign promises and Economic indices and total well-being of the Nation shall form the determinat factors to measure their contributions to the bottom line.
God bless Nigeria
You have a point
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 02, 2016
FastShipping:
It seems Obasanjo 3rd term wouldn't be bad idea at this point.

I was a staunch supporter of Buhari. Looking back now, it was the wrong thing to do. Buhari came in with no economic plan whatsoever. Where are the so called shovel ready Jobs promised by Osinbajo?

Well, Buhari wouldn't be there today if Jonathan had done well.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Nobody: 2:11am On Sep 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

But in this country, we see it differently. We play politics with everything. In this country, we applaud economic terrorism in the morning and cry in the afternoon that governors aren't paying salaries nor executing projects. In the evening we complain of power failure, but the next morning we still hail blowing of oil facilities.

We still turn around to complain of poverty.

Why won't poverty live with us?

This.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 05, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
I assume you are a troll, please allow space for intellectual contribution.

He is right. You are seeking protection popularity. What else will make you sit down for hours writing such long epistle that people can only scan through rather than read through.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 05, 2016
Buhari's government came with an unprecedented CHANGE. shocked

Hopeless situation sad

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by ChessEnthusiast: 11:02am On Sep 05, 2016
I respect the Op so much. Very objective poster.
Tonye, please stay the way you are; being partisan doesn't fit you one bit.
Nice article, very well articulated.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by ChessEnthusiast: 11:05am On Sep 05, 2016
malton:
Obasanjo did his part, and he did it well. Took many out of poverty, and placed Nigeria on the path to prosperity.

Yar'adua would have sustained the tempo or bettered it, but it wasn't to be. He was more or less our own JFK, with vision of peace and rule of law. I especially liked how he carried everyone along.

Buhari vs GEJ was likable to the demon vs the devil. Neither of the two was the ideal man. But like America is about to do, we settled for the lesser evil, or at least so we believe(d), I still do. Goodluck, we have seen, as for Buhari, it's rather too early to reach a conclusion already.

And as your thread is aimed at scrutinizing Buhari (the patriotic stance is a gimmick), I believe it came a tad too early. You should have waited a little longer.
That is not true. You have to look holistically at the resources available at their disposal and judge them against that.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by onatisi(m): 11:06am On Sep 05, 2016
Nigerians no dey learn,the politicians you are talking about now are not even bothered about the hunger you are facing,the 2019 underground campaign has started and by January it will take full swing with politicians changing alliances and parties. These ppl simply dont see the masses,they only see Nigerians as numerical figures needed by them to win elections .
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 05, 2016
I read the whole thing. Great job TonyeBarcanista. Very good post. What I gathered from it is that Obasanjo's administration was the best, compared to the other ones, but he was too powerful. If only baba had left behind a very strong political structure, and had respect for law and order Nigeria would be better than it is today.
Yarauda initiated the death of Nigeria and Good luck Jonathan started burying the country. About Buhari, I don't know, let's wait till the end of his term

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Tokt: 11:08am On Sep 05, 2016
[[s]quote author=TonyeBarcanista post=49008740]
Here we go again. Who said the President should resign? Resign for who? What has that got to do with my position?

Like I opined, the former government flopped and was kicked out accordingly. A new government was sworn in to tackle challenges and not tell us the former flopped. If Obasanjo had towed that line of blaming the military for crumbling the economy and giving us $3.7billion as Reserve and $35billion in debt, he wouldn't have recorded the relative success that he had. Obasanjo wouldn't have achieved $22b ECA, $45 billion Reserve, almost $0 in debt, opened up the banking sector and insurance sector, deregulated the telecommunications sector and strengthening Stock market among others.

Like I said, Nigerians want corrupt officials that mismanaged the treasury PUNISHED not some rewarded (like we are seeing under Buhari). We don't want someone telling us who was at fault even after being in the saddle for 16 months with nothing positive to show for it save the relative peace in North East.

Nigerians need a leader to better their lives not someone repeating who caused their problems without doing anything about it.

BTW though Buhari still got 2.6 Years left, his past 1.4years has been epic fail, and we hope he redeems himself even though there are no plans on ground to suggest that.[/quote][/s]

Shut ur trap. What he is basically telling u is this man in question still has well over two years to deliver his mandate. Grouping him with failures that have ended their tenures is senseless.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by IVORY2009(m): 11:13am On Sep 05, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
It took me time, data, energy and efforts. Enjoy...

Waiting for sensible contribution

I doubt it, if that man u quoted would take time out and read the article, he is only interested in "first to comment thread"
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Deen77: 11:15am On Sep 05, 2016
HungerBAD:
Tonye make i read your article,specifically the one wey concern buhari brb.

Thank you.
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by iykedstar(m): 11:16am On Sep 05, 2016
I will comment on dis 2019

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Deen77: 11:18am On Sep 05, 2016
AnonyNymous:
I read the whole thing. Great job TonyeBarcanista. Very good post. What I gathered from it is that Obasanjo's administration was the best, compared to the other ones, but he was too powerful. If only baba had left behind a very strong political structure, and had respect for law and order Nigeria would be better than it is today.
Yarauda initiated the death of Nigeria and Good luck Jonathan started burying the country. About Buhari, I don't know, let's wait till the end of his term

Thank you, GEJ is the worst, withdraw $17 billion from our reserve and debt of another $ 21 billion plus $3.5 ECA Total of $41.5 billion in addition to $100 crude oil boom.

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by DLuciano: 11:18am On Sep 05, 2016
BeeBeeOoh:
I can bet my left blokos in my scrotum that 99.9% of the commenters didn't/will not read this epistle starting from me..
why wont you read? I read and many others did too

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by Destined2win: 11:20am On Sep 05, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
It took me time, data, energy and efforts. Enjoy...

Waiting for sensible contribution
I honestly pray you go far with there your intelligent write-ups

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by sorextee(m): 11:21am On Sep 05, 2016
I dont really know much about politics.. But from all indications, among those mentioned, the economy was better off, during obj.

I didnt even bother to read buharis own. undecided undecided
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by situationroom: 11:22am On Sep 05, 2016
obasanjo
Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by onajo2000(m): 11:27am On Sep 05, 2016
the present administration is the worst

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by idensko(m): 11:35am On Sep 05, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Well, I wasn't surprised by the lack of economic plan, my surprise is however what took people so long to see it.

The man Buhari in fairness to him appeared like one with a plan going by his 2007 and 2011 pre-election activities. He appeared in political debates and was impressive(still have his video). However, the APC unfortunately saw him as a tool to capture power and not serve using power. Even when they refused having him debate, I disagreed(was a supporter then) because I believe it is good people know what he was bringing on board. Power is good but to the elite, the masses want service delivery.

But nevertheless, people made their choice. Both candidates were like choosing between Devil and Satan(because there was no difference).

On Obasanjo's third term, though he would have stabilised the economy, but it would turn him into a political god, which is dangerous. I wish Obj left behind strong political environment.
This is a amazing write up
One observation I made in your analysis is dat NOI was always @ d helm of things
Nigerians should blame our selfish governors

Jonathan lack of political will undermined his NOi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Administrations Of Obasanjo, Yar'adua, Jonathan, And Buhari by bluecircle470: 11:35am On Sep 05, 2016
Sincerely speaking, OBJ's era is still d best even with all d flaws.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shehu Sani remains Kaduna Central senatorial candidate, APC insists / Governor Fayemi Denies Attending World Economic Forum In South Africa / Victor Edoror And Bright Osayande Impeached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.