Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (1245) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6183802 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1242) (1243) (1244) (1245) (1246) (1247) (1248) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 27, 2017
Muafrika2:
Chai Arinzeejikonye is a medic shocked

The plot thickens shocked shocked

Hint: the third eye (for the benefit of Nigerians like Uzzy who may be slow to catch)

I was also surprised by the third eye thingy..looks like nairaland has many cult members
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 27, 2017
TayserMahiri:

Any society needs such people to do the dirty work. I see if we trusted you Moi would still be our president cheesy
I loved Moi and his freestyle swahili speeches grin grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 27, 2017
New roads under construction in nairobi

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 27, 2017
genieluv:

Shaytun, i think this guy here is very correct.

*** By 2050, Nigeria will be approximately 440 million people as the 3rd most populous country in the world. So, going by your GDP estimate, our GDP per capital would be approx. $10,000 n we would still be classified as a middle income economy just the way countries like Brazil are today.
If we cannot catch up or even surpass countries like Indonesia at that time, then i don't think it is worth much celebration, cos even today Indonesia is not so much ahead of Nigeria economically, why should they give us a gap as high as $6 trillion in the future?

hmmmn...........2050? grin grin grin grin
I'm just laughing, keep deceiving urself peeps.
who made the prediction?.............octopus paul? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by ednited(f): 6:48pm On Jun 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

Trust me, a heist on a bank would be more worth going to jail for that just another politician

Thanks for your concern. No one wants to be imprisioned at early age specially

lol
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 6:49pm On Jun 27, 2017
Jayceon:
He refused to visit Uganda sometime this year

Because M7 has no time for butt boys that's why! To get to Noah's level you MUST support the rectal crew. The price of stardom.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by ednited(f): 6:50pm On Jun 27, 2017
genieluv:

Do you or probably Ednited know this singer? DAWIT ALEMAYEHU?
Nooo
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

He was funny
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by freshest4live: 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2017
As a South African, I like Nigerians. In the late nineties, I spent 18 months backpacking by public transport from Cape Town to London and spent a fun time in Nigeria - especially Kano. The Nigerians I met were super friendly. I remember enjoying beers in the bars with friendly Muslims watching world cup soccer warm ups on TV - this was before the Boko Haram extremist era. I'll never forget the fun we had on the back of the crazy motorbike taxis. I still wear my Hausa grass hat I bought in the Kano market - it's indestructible! My impression of Nigerians then was that everyone was a businessman. I also remember being surprised when a soldier at a roadblock quoted Plato to me and who told me how money was deducted from his salary monthly to fund the struggle against Apartheid.

I remember being told a story while there that a 17 year old had scammed a state governor out of $1million which I thought was quite an achievement. The Nigerian English was cool: "I wanna chop one plate!"

In South Africa unfortunately many Nigerians have a bad reputation for being drug dealers and scammers. But I retain my fond memories of Nigeria.
790 Views · 12 Upvotes · View Timeline
Upvote12
Comment
Tommy Dennis
Tommy Dennis, South African
Answered Aug 6, 2015
There is a wide range of views about Nigerians. The most visible but I would not say dominant, is that they are criminals who steal, sell drugs, run prostitution rings, basically the general spiel about a enterprising immigrant group. Not dominant I say because there is also an increasingly vocal group of South Africans who have married Nigerians and South Africans who just generally don't care. Personally I'm quite fond of Nigerians as they are quite similar to South Africans and most South Africans, I believe know this but won't admit it. Half of us seem to be addicted to Nigerian television anyway. Besides Nigerians are just a fun people and I haven't met a Nigerian who is short of confidence. There is tension though especially in economically depressed areas because of a competition for opportunities but in more affluent areas Nigerians are a visible and very successful group.

On a state level there is a rivalry that wasn't there until quite recently. Former Presidents Mbeki and Obasanjo were big friends who had a shared idea about an African Renaissance but since they've both shuffled off into the political hinterland nothing has come of it. Rumours have it that President Zuma and former President Jonathan personally disliked each other and that informed much of the low level distrust between the two nations. Considering that South Africa has pulled further within the Chinese bloc and Nigeria has seemingly moved towards closer relations with the West particularly the US, I can only foresee more friction between the two as they both jockey for influence on the continent. Unless President Buhari follows his own plan which is a possibility however until that happens most media coverage of Nigeria in SA will continue to be quite hostile.
568 Views · 2 Upvotes · View Timeline
Upvote2
Comment
Kris Subban
Kris Subban
Answered Jun 5, 2015
I wanna chop your dollar..I definitely enjoyed my stay in Nigeria. The people were super friendly and I felt much safer than being in SA. Even in the dodgiest of places, I was treated with respect and concern about my comfort.
Ate the tastiest grilled salmon under a bridge eatery somewhere in Abuja using my cellphone flashlight for lighting. Enjoyed drinking ice cold beer on hot summer nights in the parks and mingling with the locals with the sound of a portable generator going off in the background somewhere.
Everyone's an entrepreneur and no one expects a handout. Used to wear my Allahji outfit to work every Friday to show respect to local culture.
The country and it's people have huge potential.

Culled from quora.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by kikuyu1(m): 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2017
mtis:

This what am talking about

The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Nigeria contracted 12.92 percent in the first quarter of 2017 over the previous quarter. GDP Growth Rate in Nigeria averaged 1.12 percent from 2010 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 10.59 percent in the third quarter of 2010 and a record low of -13.98 percent in the first quarter of 2016.

AIYAYAYA!! -13% drop?! Guys,I'm not happy with this;but why do you deny the obvious. It's like not seeing the Sun at noon!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Shaytun: 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2017
genieluv:

Shaytun, i think this guy here is very correct.

*** By 2050, Nigeria will be approximately 440 million people as the 3rd most populous country in the world. So, going by your GDP estimate, our GDP per capital would be approx. $10,000 n we would still be classified as a middle income economy just the way countries like Brazil are today.
If we cannot catch up or even surpass countries like Indonesia at that time, then i don't think it is worth much celebration, cos even today Indonesia is not so much ahead of Nigeria economically, why should they give us a gap as high as $6 trillion in the future?

There are all just what they are, "Estimate".

Look at this, it puts Nigeria Among the top three come 2050.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/nigeriall-among-3-world-economies-2050-britain/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiNx--Ey97UAhUGSRoKHZmJDYsQFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNGMTiyIYDmUK3AMBdx8iqPsI8Sn0A
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by genieluv(f): 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2017
freshest4live:

Exactly, if we can go back to the regional system when we were amongst the fastest growing economies in the world then without oil.
Let the regions control things more and not depend much on oil, you would see even sokoto people would discover their talents and little resources to survive and move ahead.
Unfortunately the oil money enjoyed by the elites might be the reason they don't wanna restructure.

I strongly believe restructuring will come to Nigeria very soon. Most middlebelters r now coming to see reasons why we need restructuring.
By the time the southerners n most middlebelters will stand for restructuring unequivocally, it must happen. The magnitude is growing stronger.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

Kids loved him ..used to bribe them with free maziwa ya nyayo grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 27, 2017
mtis:

I was also surprised by the third eye thingy..looks like nairaland has many cult members

what's the third eye? undecided
does it corroborate to cultism?.......
its seems u Kenyans love to give something another meaning, then; u escalate it. Christ!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 27, 2017
mtis:

They're EVERYWHERE undecided

Don't be surprised to find that even Uzzy our baby here is gone,
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jun 27, 2017
shervydman:

what's the third eye? undecided
does it corroborate to cultism?.......
its seems u Kenyans love to give something another meaning, then; u escalate it. Christ!
Shervy the other day I saw 500 cult members join the church..its a good thing but look at the number is kinda scaring
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by genieluv(f): 6:57pm On Jun 27, 2017
Shaytun:

There are all just what they are, "Estimate".

Look at this, it puts Nigeria Among the top three come 2050.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/nigeriall-among-3-world-economies-2050-britain/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiNx--Ey97UAhUGSRoKHZmJDYsQFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNGMTiyIYDmUK3AMBdx8iqPsI8Sn0A

The link was empty.

Yeah, they'r just estimates
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

They're EVERYWHERE undecided

Don't be surprised to find that even Uzzy our baby here is gone,
He keeps on telling guys to sin no more grin grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 27, 2017
mtis:

Kids loved him ..used to bribe them with free maziwa ya nyayo grin
A friend used to attend some primary school on the way to statehouse. They just lined up on the road for orbit and other goodies everytime he passed from his many tours around the country
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Fidha254(m): 7:02pm On Jun 27, 2017
freshest4live:

This is good, and l've observed you Kenyans keep talking about this report, but note that it has more to do with policies from Government supporting innovations. The people who make this research focus more on the enabling environment for innovators and plans for innovation in the country. From the same report you can read this.....
Public policy plays a pivotal role in creating an enabling environment conducive to innovation. In the last two years, we have seen important activities around the GII in India like the formation of India’s high-level Task Force on Innovation and consultative exercises on both innovation policy and better innovation metrics,” said Chandrajit Banerjee, Director General, Confederation of Indian Industry.

The Islamic Republic of Iran (75th overall) excels in tertiary education, ranking second in the world in number of graduates in science and engineering. Tajikistan (94th) is first in the world in microfinance loans, while Kazakhstan (78th) ranks first globally in pupil‐teacher ratio and third in ease of protecting minority investors.

You can see that it has more to do with support for innovation and investors.
Not Downplaying your achievement which is great, just setting the records straight.
There is a reason why they use such criteria do determined innovation index... Those indicators that show progress that is more open and more investments towards that goal, that is what happens just before you start seeing the results...and we already see the results.....

E.g
http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/business/2014/02/safaricom-is-9th-most-innovative-company-in-the-world-fast-company/
World acclaimed business magazine,Fast Company, has named Safaricom the 9thmost innovative company in the world, finishing ahead of global brands like Apple, Google, Facebook, Coca-Cola and Samsung.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 27, 2017
mtis:

He keeps on telling guys to sin no more grin grin

Sounds like a ritual he picked somewhere lipsrsealed
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

A friend used to attend some primary school on the way to statehouse. They just lined up on the road for orbit and other goodies everytime he passed from his many tours around the country
I do believe if the katiba didn't limit the presidential term Moi could still be the president of Kenya
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 27, 2017
kikuyu1:

AIYAYAYA!! -13% drop?! Guys,I'm not happy with this;but why do you deny the obvious. It's like not seeing the Sun at noon!
Yap -13% ever heard of something like that..I think Nigerians wanajichocha if I may say
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 27, 2017
kikuyu1:

Because M7 has no time for butt boys that's why! To get to Noah's level you MUST support the rectal crew. The price of stardom.
So basically they wanted Trevor's ass for something he said about M7 in a satirical show,do people in Uganda have an inkling of sense of humour?

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Shaytun: 7:13pm On Jun 27, 2017
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by freshest4live: 7:14pm On Jun 27, 2017
Fidha254:
There is a reason why they use such criteria do determined innovation index... Those indicators that show progress that is more open and more investments towards that goal, that is what happens just before you start seeing the results...and we already see the results.....

E.g
http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/business/2014/02/safaricom-is-9th-most-innovative-company-in-the-world-fast-company/
World acclaimed business magazine,Fast Company, has named Safaricom the 9thmost innovative company in the world, finishing ahead of global brands like Apple, Google, Facebook, Coca-Cola and Samsung.
If you want to talk about number of technological innovations, Nigerian is not short of talents, even with some of our best in the diaspora. You can check list of forbe's innovators for most years to see the leading innovators in Africa, mostly south africans and Nigerians. l just posted a link of a few tech CEO's in Nigeria (about 21) on top of their game.
Show me a list that places Kenya ahead of Naija for Afro tech innovation (IT) and l would show you more that places Naija ahead.
It is however shameful that the environment is not enabling and many of our talents just rot away and fail to get support or recognition.
Your list is spot on, because Kenya is providing the right environment that would continually see them push further in technology at a faster rate than Naija. Mauritius is also doing same.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 27, 2017
ednited:

Thanks for your concern. No one wants to be imprisioned at early age specially

lol
smiley smiley
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Shaytun: 7:16pm On Jun 27, 2017
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 27, 2017
TayserMahiri:

He was funny

He was. Then he loved parables for even the simplest of messages. Typical African old man grin

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 27, 2017
mtis:

I do believe if the katiba didn't limit the presidential term Moi could still be the president of Kenya
He should share his diet. Still strong and making waves with that University of his.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 27, 2017
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by freshest4live: 7:24pm On Jun 27, 2017
Can Nigeria be developed like South Africa?
AnswerRequest
Follow7
5 ANSWERS
Sive Nathi
Sive Nathi, Communications Analyst
Answered Sat
South Africa is not developed, far from it.

South Africa is a land of contrasts. For every leafy suburb like Umhlanga Rocks or Sandhurst, there is Mdantsane or Umlazi. For every Gautrain, there is a Shosholoza train that doesn't arrive on time/is not clean. For every world class highway/shopping centre, there are unpaved pothole filled roads, “spaza shops” etc.

Whilst there's development metrics that SA excels in comparison to Nigeria, it's by no means a developed country. Nigeria with better governance, effective independent institutions, stronger rule of law etc, can be a developed country and learn from SA's mistakes like avoiding the “middle income trap”, better tackling inequality and with her larger population, rightfully take her place as one of the world's largest economies.
3.6k Views · 90 Upvotes · View Timeline
Upvote90
Comment
Asamu Adebayo
Asamu Adebayo
Answered Jun 22
In a 2014 ranking, Nigeria has a total GDP of $594.254 billion compared to South Africa’s $341.216 billion.

This is despite the fact that the total electricity produced in Nigeria dangles between 0 - 6000 MW while South Africa produces about 52,000 MW. That is about 8 times what Nigeria produces.

Just imagine Nigeria producing half the power that South Africa is producing and see how much GDP Nigeria would have.

Take away institutionalized corruption Nigeria and we would be more developed than South Africa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1242) (1243) (1244) (1245) (1246) (1247) (1248) ... (9933)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.